Chapter 2

In This House

Chapter 2

“I can’t say I’m shocked that they’re asking for a reunion concert…” Hyukjae stated as he was sipping coffee with Jungsoo and Heechul, the nine kids doing their own thing at the yard.

After dinner, dishes were put away to be cleaned later, and Hyukjae led the two to a small table for three where they have been conversing for fifteen minutes. The teenagers were running around playing Blind Man’s Bluff with Shihyun being the one blindfolded as he was being led by the nose by his trickster brothers.

Jungsoo smiled. “Well, it has been a while since we disbanded officially. The label found it a good time to hold one.”

“And the venue is in Seoul.” Hyukjae sighed. “And I was thinking the boys and their classmates would be able to work with me more this summer.” He mused. “When does rehearsals start?”

“Next week, according to Siwon.” Jungsoo stated.

“And here I thought you were the leader, Leeteuk-hyung.” Hyukjae teased.

Jungsoo simply laughed, “Well, CEO Choi got used to making decisions by himself.”

Heechul huffed. “I’m surprised he had a lot of free time to think of this pet project that we only discussed as jokes once in a while.” 

Hyukjae had to agree with that. Ever since Siwon was appointed as the new CEO of SM Entertainment following the retirement of the previous one, he has been one of the busiest people in their former group. It wasn’t surprising that he was holding himself together though. They knew Siwon is made of tougher stuff.

“If you make it to Seoul next week, you’d be able to meet up with Siwon to discuss the details and to check on what you want to set up.” Heechul said.

That statement made Hyukjae worry though. “But the summer classes for my dance studio starts next week, and my kids are going. I don’t trust Shihyun or Wumuti with the minibus since they ran it at the oak tree the other day, and I don’t want to leave them at the house alone too.” Remembering the big disaster now felt like a headache with the issue.

“Then why not bring them with you to Seoul?” Jungsoo suggested. “You never sold your house there even when you moved here to Incheon.”

“If that was an option, I would have thought of it, but the boys had just been to Seoul for their trainee life and school had just let out. Being here at home and the dance studio is a breath of fresh air for them. I don’t want to take it away because I need to be in Seoul for the concert which would take weeks to finish up.” He reasoned.

They were at a stalemate. If Hyukjae doesn’t participate in the concert, it would feel incomplete, and it would steal Hyukjae away from the kids, which will be a great offense especially for the three who only got to spend time with their father and brothers for the summer.

Heechul growled as he fished out his phone, “Fine then, let’s just ask him.” he said as he pressed the number of a very familiar man.

“Wait, you’re calling him?!” Hyukjae exclaimed, clearly amazed by his seriousness in calling SM Entertainment’s CEO.

“Why not? CEO or not, he’s still our Siwonnie.” Heechul stood his ground as he waited for the call to be answered.

It only took a few rings before it was answered.

“Heechul-hyung. Anything you need from me?” the voice of Choi Siwon asked, not really surprised at the sudden call.

“Siwon. Hyukkie is having second thoughts because of responsibilities. Can his nine kids come with?” Heechul asked outright.

“Hyung!” Hyukjae protested, making him remember that the nine kids were a secret to everyone but the three of them in the group.

Silence hung in the other line for ten seconds before Siwon managed to let out a reply. “Excuse me?”

“Oh. Sorry. Slipped out.” Heechul apologized. “Apparently, Hyukkie here has been hiding nine teenagers.”

“I was not.” Hyukjae denied. “I planned to tell you guys eventually. It was just not the right time.”

“Oh? And when was the right time? When the boys are all legal-aged?” Heechul rebutted.

“Okay, I’m a bit lost. When we disbanded you were still single and not a father.” Siwon told Hyukjae.

“I still am single. I became a father of nine teenagers three years ago.” Hyukjae explained to him. “And I would appreciate it if this stays between us.” He requested.

Siwon hummed on the other line. “Well, this needs to take a little getting used to…” he stated. “But sure. They can come along if it would make you agree. I understand your need on not letting anyone know that you have kids. Sungmin-hyung did experience his being stalked in pre-school back then. Is there any way you can make up an excuse?”

“I can.” Hyukjae agreed. “They’re also my students in my dance studio. I can make an excuse that I chose them for a special performance.”

“You sure?” Siwon asked.

“I’ve been told by their parents that they tend to dance to our songs behind my back.” Hyukjae shared. “They showed me a video and it was endearing, to say the least. I have a copy in my laptop.”

“You’re the same as Sungmin-hyung when he brags about his daughter.” Siwon pointed out. “So it’s a fatherhood thing after all.”

“YAH that’s mean!” Hyukjae protested.

Siwon laughed along with Jungsoo and Heechul. They really love messing with their younger members even now. “So we have your approval then?” Jungsoo asked.

“If it’s for our nephews, of course why not?” Siwon confirmed.

“Ah. Being an ajusshi makes me feel too old…” Jungsoo said with a small sigh.

“No chances of escaping now.” Heechul joked. “Doesn’t Sungmin’s daughter already call you Teukkie-ajusshi?”

“Stop.” Jungsoo pleaded.

“Thanks a lot Siwon.” Hyukjae said to his bandmate.

“Anything to get you all to agree. Now, it’s getting late, so I’ll see you next week.” Siwon bid and cut the call.

Heechul chuckled, “Well, that went well.”

Hyukjae groaned, “Please, you can tell the other members, just…not outside, okay?” he looked at them.

“We’ll respect your wishes, Hyukkie.” Heechul agreed. “Siwon is right, it’s getting late. Teukkie and I should be leaving.”

“The drive will be too long, and it’s dangerous this late at night.” Hyukjae reasoned. “I have the guest bedroom ready. You can sleep there for the night. The boys and I will…” he glanced back at the boys who were now on to their new challenge game, which is dancing to one of their songs, ‘Sorry, Sorry’ twice as fast. When one gets distracted or gets a part wrong, they will have to do a consequence.

“Getting shaky Doyum!” Byeonghee tried to distract his brother.

Suren was low-key screaming as they were now at the chorus of the song and twice as fast.

Junseo and Siyoung seemed to be doing fine, as if doing it twice as fast was nothing. Jongwoon, on the other hand, made it look like he was just going with the flow on the song.

“Not going to work Byeonghee.” Doyum replied. “What about you? Legs getting tired?”

“Not a chance.” 

The three eldest, Shihyun, Wumuti and Seunghwan seemed to be amused as Byeonghee and Doyum were distracting each other.

The nine boys didn’t notice that the three adults were staring at them, one in amusement and the other two in awe. They remembered participating in Weekly Idol a few years back that they tend to get distracted on what to do next in the middle of things, but here are nine teenagers, dancing to it like it was nothing, and they were distracting each other along the way. They couldn’t bear to look away for even one second.

Once the song ended, all the three could do was to clap in awe as the nine boys stopped the music player. Their applause caught their attention, and for some reason, they were embarrassed as they were watched by the original dancers and singers of the song.

“Wow!” Heechul exclaimed. “I was wondering what Hyukkie passed on to you guys. Seeing that, I’m now convinced you inherited his Dance Machine genes.”

The nine were flushed in both embarrassment and happiness the praise that the nine didn’t have any response to give but to bow and thank him.

“See, I told you they can do it.” Hyukjae said. “Now boys, the after dinner chores?” he told them.

“Yes~!” the boys replied as they all ran inside to take care of the dishes and to put away the table setting.

After cleaning up the dinner table and the dishes, Jungsoo and Heechul were quick to realize that the family dynamic of nine kids and their dad were working too well. Hyukjae, while not really being a full-time parent, made sure to discipline his sons in place of their parents who trusted him with them. It was unreal, but they do realize that when one gets into their thirties, they would usually think of marriage or parenthood. It was just that Hyukjae got the latter all too soon, and were given teenagers instead of toddlers.

The thing was, Heechul found himself envious of what Hyukjae has not as an income earner, but as a family man. He wished that his work schedule did not get in the way of him and Jungsoo adopting.

After cleaning up, Hyukjae led them to the guest bedroom, which is just right across from Hyukjae’s master’s bedroom. Right beside them were the three bedrooms the nine boys share during their stay. After taking their baths and lying on the bed together, Heechul sat up and grabbed his phone.

“What are you doing, Chul?” Jungsoo wondered.

“Group chat.” Heechul said.

Jungsoo groaned, “Not at this hour.”

“Too late.” Heechul said as he opened the chatroom. “Siwon is waiting for us all to huddle, so get your phone and make yourself useful, jagiya.”

The man didn’t have the energy to protest and just did as he said.

 

As the chat came to a close, Heechul and Jungsoo found it good to go to sleep now. They will have a long day ahead of them, especially joining Hyukjae and his boys for breakfast. But one thing lingered on Heechul’s mind though.

‘Strange. Donghae went silent when he announced his fatherhood.’ He thought to himself.

It only took him three seconds to realize why.

‘Oh .’

TBC