Chapter 14

In This House

“Excuse you Lee Hyukjae, you agreed to WHAT?” the voice of Kim-Park Junsu shouted at the other end of the video call when Hyukjae gave him the update of his week to his best friend.

“Exactly as I said it, Su.” Hyukjae replied as he settled down on his seat as he watched Junsu flitter about with his phone to pull his anger together.

It took a few minutes for him to calm, but it didn’t take long for him to start speaking again, “You’re trying to tell me that Lee Donghae had managed to convince you to let him try to seduce you again?” he asked.

Hyukjae’s lips pressed into a thin line at the term his best friend had used. He was reminded that the first day the news about Donghae getting married exploded, Junsu didn’t hesitate to take the next trip to Seoul from Busan—where he is to perform his latest musical at the time—to be with him. It took Hyukjae’s desperate pleas, Jaejoong’s scolding and Yoochun’s strength for Junsu not to kill Donghae with his current deadly prop that he nicked from his dressing room that day.

That was why Junsu has taken it upon himself to banish the name, never to be uttered in his presence again unless they want to get an earful or a beating.

Now that Hyukjae has given Donghae a chance without giving Junsu a head’s up, the man was throwing a fit.

“Su, I know what he did to me, that’s why I didn’t take him back instantly. He’s going to work for it.” Hyukjae tried to reason.

“Are you possessed by a spirit right now? Because I am all for getting out of my vacation just to see that you haven’t been a part of something occult.” Junsu stated.

Hyukjae shrugged. “I am not, and besides, tearing Jinsung and Yuzu apart two days earlier than expected will earn you the title of ‘worst uncle and Appa ever’ in their books.” He shot back.

“I can leave Yuzu alone with Chun for a day. Don’t make me change my mind because it will not work. Not when the one I want to maim is the one who broke your heart, Hyuk.” Junsu returned.

“Su, you’re exaggerating.”

“And you’re too naïve.”

“I’m a grown man, let me make my own choice.” He snapped.

“…”

Hyukjae knew that he was right, he was an adult, but Junsu had the right to be mad. After all, he was one of the people who had fought tooth and nail for Hyukjae to get out of his heartbreak the moment his marriage and its subsequent events had been carried out. Not even their estrangement as former label-mates had tarnished their bond.

He understood that Junsu was one protective friend, and he loved him for it. But there are times that he really had to stand up to Junsu and make him see reason.

As he predicted, Junsu sighed in defeat. “You’re right. I’m sorry, I’m just…” Junsu tried to apologize.

“Su, you don’t have to say sorry. I know you’re only watching over me, but trust me this time?” Hyukjae pleaded.

The man on the screen was almost tempted to say no, but he knew that Hyukjae needed this in order to see if Donghae really is worth giving a second chance to. After all, he did give Yoochun a chance after a tabloid full of lies about his ‘engagement’ to another woman ran amok. While that was a farce that did not go through (but Junsu also almost killed Yoochun for that), Donghae’s case was the cause of blackmail that became a nightmare to Hyukjae’s heart, and they had photos to prove that the wedding took place. 

He did not trust Donghae, but he respects Hyukjae’s decisions. “Fine. But the moment he screws up again, he’s fair game.” He declared.

Hyukjae smiled at his approval. “Thanks Su.”

“By the way…” Junsu let out, changing to another topic, “I see Jinsung still hasn’t said anything to Doyum and vice versa.”

The other man found himself rolling his eyes.

It was a secret to the boys, but Hyukjae had known about Jinsung’s origins long before they had met. Over the years since they have been best friends, Junsu has never stopped blabbing about what has been going on in his life, including the lives of Yoochun and Jaejoong.

Three years ago, when Hyukjae had the shock of his life in knowing he has fathered nine boys, the first people who knew were his family and Junsu. At that time, Jinsung has already been adopted for the past ten years by none other than Kim Jaejoong.

When they discovered that the two were dating but are keeping their family secrets intact, it was pretty amusing watching them keep their secrets to themselves, but now, Hyukjae thinks that it might put a strain in their relationship if it went on. Hyukjae had already given the signal for Doyum to tell Jinsung, and Jaejoong had given the same to Jinsung, but the two boys were stubborn.

“They haven’t, and Doyum is not helping matters in being doubtful about Jinsung’s secrets too.” Hyukjae stated. “From last year’s summer camp, I tend to see Jinsung glaring at Muti when he and Doyum are tied to the hip often due to their groups.” Hyukjae said, “I actually worried that I might have to send Muti to the emergency room for a broken jaw, but so far, things are going well for him.”

Junsu scoffed. “I doubt that would not happen. That boy tends to let his green-eyed monster out in the most surprising ways.” He stated. “By the way, since we’re on the subject of children, I’ll be bringing Yuzu with me to your place this weekend. It’s time the boys meet him.”

“Yeah, because you decided to introduce Yuzu to Jinsung first the first week you came back with him.” Hyukjae pretended to be offended.

“Hey, his adoption approval was a whirlwind, and it just happens to coincide with our vacation, so don’t blame me! We didn’t expect when we were approved to adopt Yuzu it would be this fast! We were expecting another month.” Junsu defended.

The new addition to the Kim-Park family, Kim-Park Yuzu, is their three month-old baby that was abandoned after he was born. Even until now, Hyukjae was amazed on how they had gotten the cute baby boy.

In one of Junsu’s performance legs in Saitama, he had sustained an injury that looked bad enough for Yoochun to take the next flight to Japan just to ensure that his husband was fine.

It seemed to be a normal check-up and major injury false alarm until it turned into an application for adoption after hearing the nurses go into a frenzy in chasing a runaway woman holding a baby. Coincidentally, the woman, who seemed to be panicking, handed her newborn baby in Junsu’s arms with only a single sentence, “Please take care of him!” before she fled. The nurses and the security that was called out continued to run after her, only for it to be futile as she disappeared into thin air.

It was awkward when the nurses apologized to the two of them about the commotion and had taken the baby to the nursery to be fed and clothed in a fresh blue blanket.

From what the nurses who were tending to her could tell, she was anxious the entire time she was in labor and refused to give birth, but the baby thought otherwise. When he was born, she didn’t even hold him, refusing to do so stating that she was tired. The nurses didn’t know that three hours later, she attempted to flee the hospital with her baby. She had no record with the hospital as she was rushed to the ER after being found by a passerby while she was in labor, so they did not know her name or address, which brings them to the situation with the baby being arranged to be sent to the nearby orphanage for abandoned babies in their hospital.

Junsu, who had gotten attached to the baby since he was forced in his arms and held him for ten minutes, immediately looked back at Yoochun with a stare that the other man had understood.

He wanted to take the baby in.

They were all for it, as they have just been approved for adopting children in their home country, and they had proven that they had the finances and the time to take care of a child, but a newborn was something that they did not expect. They were planning on taking in a child between five and ten, the age when Jinsung was adopted by Jaejoong.

Now that Yoochun had seen the determined look his lover gave him that night when he had talked about adopting the baby boy, he couldn’t refuse as the baby had seemed to bond with him as well.

But how were they going to adopt a baby that was a Japanese Citizen? They were barely approved by the adoption agency they approached to adopt a South Korean child. It would be harder to adopt a Japanese baby, seeing as their government is strict on these things, but they were determined to try.

When they had contacted their social worker, they heaved a sigh of relief when she told them that she will take care of the necessary papers in order to make the adoption run smoothly before the baby reaches six months.

Finally, by some miracle, after three months, they were approved to adopt the baby Junsu had lovingly named Yuzu, after the Japanese Olympic figure skater, Hanyu Yuzuru, who was born in the same city. What made their arrival more exciting is because this was the first time they had brought Yuzu home to South Korea.

“I know, I’m just teasing. The boys are excited to meet him.” Hyukjae replied. “Some of the boys are curious to see a baby boy and are more than willing to babysit if you will be needing one.”

“Sometimes I wonder if they really are yours, but one look at their skills, mannerisms and tight-fistedness, I’m pretty much convinced they’re the real deal.” Junsu stated.

Hyukjae frowned, “Why do you sound like Sora-noona? The boys are just fine when it comes to spending for themselves. I don’t hinder that.”

“Yes you do. You hinder them by your genetics. I remember the last time Sora-noona and I joined in taking them shopping, they gravitated towards stores that are on-sale. The closing kind.”

“That’s not my fault and you know it.” Hyukjae denied.

It only took Junsu’s dolphin laugh before Hyukjae had ended the call abruptly, asking himself why he has him as a best friend.

Wumuti was still looking a bit down in the dumps, and Shihyun and the others knew it, no matter how much he tries to deny the fact that Cai Xukun still affects him after all this time. It has been less than a year since that time, but to Wumuti, it still felt like yesterday. He was not doing well in hiding his true feelings, as he knew he was slipping from his brothers since that day.

Who can blame him, when he has been having flashbacks of that day ever since they had met again?

He thought he could handle it on his own, but it seems his heart and his mind are ganging up on him each and every time the thought of Xukun surfaces. It was a bad habit that Wumuti hated that he could never get rid of.

Even after all that happened, he was still not over Xukun. Not even an inch out of that hole he calls his feelings.

Groaning in frustration, he forgot that he was in the middle of practice, and his sudden groan caught the attention of his brothers who seemed to think that he missed a beat. Shihyun and the others stopped and he looked at Wumuti who has been looking lost since this morning. With the remote on his hand, Shihyun paused the music for a bit to see what was wrong with his brother.

“What’s wrong, Muti?” Shihyun asked him.

Shaking his head violently, Wumuti sighed, “Sorry, was lost in thought while dancing. Let’s keep going.” He pleaded as he scratched the back of his ear.

“No.” Shihyun decided in an instant, knowing his mannerisms. “Let’s take a short break, and Muti, I think you need air.” He looked back at Doyum and threw him their joint wallet, “Doyummie, can you?”

Doyum immediately saluted and grabbed his older brother, “Come on Muti! Let’s get something to drink.” He didn’t wait for his response and simply dragged him out of the practice room.

When the two had left, the rest of the brothers looked at the eldest. Shihyun answered their silent looks of curiosity. “Scratching the back of his ear. That means he’s too distracted and has too much on his mind. Doyum is the perfect remedy for that.” He replied.

“Are you sure allowing Muti to walk around here knowing that Xukun might be in the building is a good idea?” Suren wondered.

Shihyun sighed, “I don’t know.” He confessed. “But we can’t cocoon him here for much longer. He has to face Xukun if he needs to move on.” Shihyun stated. “Besides, in the event he’s done more damage than good, I'll make sure he regrets it.” He whispered under his breath.

“Why is Shihyun doing this?” Wumuti grumbled with a pout as the two went to the elevator to head down to the café.

“Because there is no use for you if your mind is in another place.” Doyum said frankly, “And I agree with him.” he added.

Wumuti tries to convince himself time and again that he was good in hiding his emotions and problems in front of people. He had managed to fool his aunt, his co-trainees and labelmates, even his father, but after what happened six months ago, he can no longer hide himself too much in front of his brothers. No matter how hard he tried ever since then, one of them will sense that something is wrong. The one who hits the most bull’s eye in these things was their eldest brother.

Shihyun was the sharpest one of them all when it comes to their emotions, and for good reason. The boy was taught how to sense things by his (overprotective) Young-hyung when it comes to siblings.

“I’m sorry for worrying you all.” Wumuti apologized. “I just…I thought I’d be okay after six months, but it turns out I’m not.”

Doyum understood that Wumuti needed time to heal after what happened, and he and the rest understood that he will be vulnerable at random times, and every time the sight of a perfect family comes into view, or when he sees Xukun being hall smiles and charm in public. Not once, but several times, their father has sensed that even he tends to be jealous of their brothers who have complete and loving families to call their own.

Wumuti was alone, all by himself in a family that no longer wanted him.

WAS being the key word. Now he has brothers and a father who actually wanted him.

The all knew that Wumuti needed time to get accustomed to the idea of being wanted, that is why they are careful with him when these things happen.

“Don’t be sorry. We’re here for you, you know that, right?” Doyum told him.

Wumuti smiled at him and ruffled his hair, “I do. That’s why I appreciate all the things you guys do.”

Doyum smiled back. “Yeah right, but all of us know that you love Shihyun too much.”

“He does since we met earlier than the rest of you,” Wumuti agreed.

Doyum rolled his eyes, “You know, if circumstances were different, you two could date.”

“With how caring he is? I might have, but alas. It’s cutting it close.” Wumuti agreed with a playful swoon. “He’d be perfect.”

Because of the debacle and huge misunderstanding thanks to Seunghwan and Junseo last summer, the boys found it funny to make others assume that one of them are dating. Sure, they all had a rule of ‘aual until proven and/or stated otherwise’ thing in their class of nineteen, but it was fun confusing them all. One minute, Byeonghee was all over Siyoung, and the next is that he’s cozying up with another of their brothers. The only rule is that those who are taken are off-limits, those being Seunghwan, Junseo and Doyum.

Doyum rolled his eyes and pretended to gag, “The two of you are the greatest speculation of the class. Ugh! It makes Junseo and Yongha’s lovey dovey moments look tame.”

“To be fair, Junseo is the more affectionate one.” Wumuti said as the two of them continued to bicker until the elevator closed, not noticing that someone had managed to hear their conversation.

Zhang Yixing, or Lay, for most of the people who know him in the industry, has spent years living with eleven hormonal teenagers turned young men since his debut, and it doesn’t even count his experience as a trainee.

Which was why the moment he saw one of his protégées lag for some reason, something was definitely wrong that cannot be crossed out at any situation at all.

When he had called for the end of their rehearsals, he had sent them all home, except for one, intent on getting him back on focus.

“Xukun, please stay behind for a moment.” Lay called out in Mandarin as he sat down on the floor cross-legged, letting the boy know he meant business.

The other members of Nine Percent looked at Xukun with concern, knowing that if they are called by their mentor to talk alone, scolding will be the possible reason. They didn’t want to admit it, but ever since they got back from lunch two hours ago, he looked a bit pissed and bothered. They didn’t know what happened in a span of an hour, but it seems to have a lasting effect on him.

Knowing it was for his own good, they left the room to change out of their training clothes to head back to their dorms.

Once Lay knew that they were alone, he looked at Xukun who was still looking so distracted it was easier to see up close.

“Kunkun,” he started, getting his attention, “You’re not usually like this during practice. What’s wrong?” he asked.

Xukun cursed at himself inwardly in getting caught being distracted, but who was he fooling? The man was one of the sharpest people he knows. “I’m sorry Laoshi…” he managed to let out.

“I know you are sorry, but I want to know the cause of the distraction in your head. Did something happen? You know you can tell me anything.” Lay assured. “Nothing will go out of this room, if confidentiality is what you are worried about.” Xukun was a bit hesitant in telling him, and Lay sensed that immediately. He remembered his early days when he was just newly dating Junmyeon. He knows the feeling really well. “If this is about your previous relationship that is causing you now to act up like this, then I can tell you right now I understand what you are feeling.”

Lay was proven right when the boy’s head snapped up to look at him in disbelief. “How…?”

Chuckling, he shook his head lightly and smiled teasingly at the boy. “Kunkun, I was in the same place as you were once upon a time. I may not know who you had dated, but I can tell that ever since, you have been feeling a bit off every time someone mentions the word ‘relationship’ at conversations, so I know this is about your past.” He told him. “What’s gotten you so bothered now?”

Xukun didn’t want to say it, but Lay is his mentor even way back in his days as an idol survival program trainee. He trusted the man will not spill anything. He was just that way, and Xukun believed what he is saying now is the truth. Shrugging, he looked away in shame, “Laoshi…I just…what do you do when you’re still in love with your ex, but he’s now slowly moving on?” he asked. “I mean, I was the one who ended things before things got bad enough for the both of us as trainees and I didn’t want to compromise our careers with a scandal…and now…I don’t know. Seeing him again brought back good and bad memories and how I don’t know how to fix it because I still like him and I want to do it but…he’s already eyeing someone who is probably not like a coward like me?” he rambled on.

It was a lengthy explanation but Lay caught every single one, maybe because they were speaking in their mother tongue. “Kunkun, you are young, and you have every right and chance to make mistakes along the way, especially when it comes to relationships. I have an inkling on the reason why you broke up with the person, but you need to hold back your green-eyed monster and tame it. You are no longer in the middle of a lawsuit with your former company, and I’m willing to bet, since he might be here, that he is no longer under them too. What is really stopping you from approaching him and trying to explain and fix things?” he wondered.

The younger looked at the floor and twiddled his thumbs, trying to make up an answer to his mentor, but he found difficulty to. Lay was not rushing him, though, as he was waiting for him to respond patiently. In the past few months of working with him, Lay knew that the boy needed a few seconds or minutes to form his words.

What was holding him back?

The fact that he’s afraid that Wumuti has already moved on and is now looking for someone new?

The possibility of their former company still keeping tabs on them waiting for them to slip enough to bring out false or nearly false rumors?

Exposing their relationship, let alone their uality?

No. They were only sub-reasons for what was really holding him back.

Cai Xukun was a certified coward who can’t face his feelings towards his ex-boyfriend he had chosen to break up with.

“I’m…I’m a coward, Laoshi. A really big one who thinks does not deserve his love back because I broke it with my own free will…” he confessed. “And if he’s found someone better than me then I had to accept it but…when I saw him again, I thought, maybe if I explain myself I can get him back but I'm scared he will say no and…”

"Whoa, whoa, whoa there Kunkun. Breathe." Lay advised with mild worry when he noticed he was rambling too much and was close to hyperventilating. In the months that he had known the young man, he thought he had always been strong and resilient in all that comes to him. He tends to forget that he was a young man just fresh out of his teenage years. He was emotionally vulnerable.

Xukun followed his instructions and it took him three minutes to calm himself down, all the while, shame getting in his head at the thought of his mentor seeing him like this. “I’m sorry.”

Lay shook his head, “Never be sorry about how you are feeling. You’re young, and honestly? All of us has had these thoughts at one point.” He assured him. “Now, what you need to do is to sort out your feelings first before doing something rash like look for him and ask him if you two could talk out of the blue.” Lay advised. He did not miss the sour look Xukun had that was there for a split second before it disappeared. “Starting with not letting it spill on your professional life. If you need more advice, I’ll be here, alright?”

Xukun knew that it was easier said than done, but he knew that Lay had to remind him of that fact. “I understand. Thank you for listening to me.”

“Anytime.” Lay said and pat the boy on the shoulder before getting up from the floor, “Now, you’d best get going. Nong Nong and the others might be waiting for you.”

Xukun only nodded and left the practice room, not wanting his group mates to leave him behind.

Lay simply sighed and shook his head.

Teenagers.

TBC

Happy New Year guys~! Sorry for the super delay in the updating. I promised myself once a month but…well.

Also~ this is also to celebrate my first anniversary with the site, since I signed up for this last January 7 of 2019~~

I went a bit off kilter for a while because of work, and I kid you not, work did not let me off during Christmas and New Year.

Oh! And I also made a Yunjae oneshot for you all, if you’re also in the TVXQ! Fandom~~ check it out if you have time to spare!

See you next chapter~!