Chapter 12

In This House

Chapter 12

It all started with the filming. Hyukjae can tell that something feels different on his day, the Teaser video shooting not included. When he got to the dressing room with the boys that morning, he was shocked to see a bouquet of blue roses—dyed white roses of course—delivered and named to him.

“Oh wow.” Shihyun said as he and his brothers huddled behind their father, staring at the bouquet of roses. “Who sent it?”

“It’s for Appa specifically.” Jongwoon pointed out as he stared at the card attached to the beautiful bouquet in white wrapper.

“An admirer?” Byeonghee wondered.

“Ooh I wonder who sent it?” Heechul wondered, looking over Hyukjae’s shoulder who had picked up the roses. He caught a whiff of the roses to find out that it had a distinct scent on it that he can’t put his finger to. “Blue and scented. They know how to charm you.” He mused.

Hyukjae rolled his eyes as he placed it back down, “Not in the morning, Hyung.”

“By the way, Donghae will be running late.” Sungmin informed them, “He said his early morning drama filming had some sort of delays, actress issues.”

Shindong rolled his eyes, “Why does it happen to him all the time? If they’re not bad at acting, they’re flirting. He’s declared he’s not in the market for ladies more than three times.”

Not liking the flow of the conversation, Hyukjae wanted to interrupt, but the next speaker shocked him, but it was something he should have expected.

“Oh, again? Isn’t this the fifth drama to date?” Seunghwan asked, now looking at Shindong. “Who was it this time?”

Shindong took a quick glance at Hyukjae, and then to Seunghwan. He did declare from the get-go that he was Donghae’s fan, but the fact that he also knew every single issue (scandal for most) that Donghae had been involved with during his tenure as an actor since the disbandment was amusing. Deciding to mess with Hyukjae (because, honestly, everyone can tell the two are still stupidly in love with each other), he decided to reply to him.

“Nice try, but I’m not dropping names in case I get quoted. It happens every time he has to work with new faces. That’s why he always asks his manager to find him dramas where he can work with professional actresses, but alas, he tends to have bad luck when they’re replaced by newer ones.” Shindong said.

“You’d think after he declared that he was gay, women would leave him alone.” Kangin chipped in as they all went to their chairs for hair and make-up.

Kyuhyun huffed as he sat down next to his husband, “Well, he was married to one until three years ago. They might think they can lure him into another blackmail. Like he’s going to fall for it a second time.”

Seunghwan acted all innocent, “That’s bad. I feel bad for his lover back then, even though he never told anyone about that person except in a press conference.”

Thirteen eyes peered secretly at the ‘lover back then’ with sympathy, and curiosity. They all figured that he never told the boys about his history with Donghae, which was understandable. They thought that the boys were not mentioning the relationship as being respectful, but to think that even Hyukjae had never told them would mean…

Hyukjae simply shrugged as he placed down the bouquet gently. “Enough talking about the past, let’s all prepare beforehand so we can get started without him.”

“That won’t be happening just yet.” Shindong informed. “My partner director for the promotional video is also running late. The two of them are in the same set.”

“That’s rather unfortunate, but it gives us more time to do the hair and makeup with the horde that we have.” Jungsoo stated, quite relieved that they have more time to prepare. They have met with the director Shindong works with a few times in the past years, and they had never really had any issues with her lateness, having had a packed schedule of her own.

As they all approached their own stylists, Hyukjae managed to slip the small envelope that was tucked in the bouquet with a very familiar handwriting. He knows exactly who sent it.

If looks could kill, Donghae would have killed the rookie actress in front of him for various reasons. She was the generic ‘with backers attached’ actress that Donghae knew too well since he had started his career as an idol with fellow trainees that never made the cut and as an actor in dramas and movies.

But then, Donghae was raised properly so he had to be the gentleman so that he wouldn’t rouse any rumors about him being an or a bastard on set and create another scandal. To him, that kind of rumor is tame compared to his marriage, but he loves his manager too much to give him a headache for this person.

Besides, he didn’t have to lift a finger to get rid of her.

“THAT’S IT! GET OUT OF MY SET!”

The actress in question looked at the director with a haughty attitude. “You can’t do that! I was casted, and I have a right to be here!” she argued.

The person who shouted, a woman with a pixie-cut hair in blue flannel and ripped jeans glared at her. She looked like she was seconds to whacking her with the script on her hands. “You won’t have a role once they see that you’re wasting our time and memory with your screw-ups! We have been doing this scene for three hours, which is something I do not tolerate, if you even listened to your manager when he heard that I am directing this drama.” She growled. “So you either shape up to do your job properly, or I will replace you with the actress we were supposed to get for the female lead role.”

“You wouldn’t!” the actress dared her.

“I won’t hesitate, newbie.” She snipped. “It’s your words against my proof and my experience as a director. You would do well to choose your battles wisely.”

Before the so-called actress could say another word to destroy her non-existent career, her manager came to the woman and apologized repeatedly for her actions, promising that he will talk with her regarding her conduct and begged her not to be removed from the drama.

Donghae pitied the female manager, knowing what she had to go through to manage the woman and to clean up her messes while she roams free of guilt.

Pitying the manager, the director took a deep breath, trying to calm herself down a bit. “This is getting us nowhere and the early morning feel is gone thanks to you, and I am late for another filming.” The woman growled. “That’s a wrap for today. We resume filming the day after tomorrow, bright and early. Hopefully with a worthy replacement if you don’t get your act together.” She said as she took her bag from her chair and made a beeline to her car.

Donghae watched as the actress stomped her kitten-heeled foot in frustration. He didn’t want to be in the same room as her any longer, so a quick signal to his manager later, he slipped out of the set, just in time to see the director pack her things in the backseat.

“Bad day, Hyerin-sshi?” Donghae dared tease the woman.

Hyerin huffed and shook her head, “She’s lucky I had an ounce of restraint or else I would have thrown her out of my set. Literally.”

“Always so violent, people wouldn’t think you were the Director Park.”

“I wouldn’t be the Director Park without sounding violent. It’s how dickheads learned that I’m no pushover.” She said. “And this director says that we are running late. Got your car with you?”

“We’ll follow you. Shindong-hyung knows the situation since my manager texted him.”

“Okay. I can’t wait to see Byeonghee after two months of not seeing him. You know him, right? He’s one of Hyukjae’s students.” She said nonchalantly as she locked up her trunk.

Donghae froze at the mention of one of the boys. Does that mean…? “Y-You…? One of the moms…?”

“Oh, so he told you, huh?” Hyerin said with a small smile and a raised brow. “Well, we better get going, the boys might be having the time of their lives enjoying extra free time, and you need your hair and makeup done stat.” she said as she went to her car, leaving Donghae to be herded by his manager to his own car.

But the man in question was having a personal turmoil in his head.

Going by the order of children, he had just met Mom #4.

The first thing that came to his mind was how the hell did Hyukjae managed to attract one of the most feared directors into his bed, but that would defeat his task in not getting jealous once he hears any information about the nine women he slept with.

Last night, when he first set his plan into motion, he had listed ten things in his phone that he must always adhere, if he wanted to get Hyukjae back the way that the man deserved. It was to court him again.

Wanting to get his head back on track with his task once again, he decided to fish out his phone when he was seated at the car and looked at the ten things that he needed to follow to make his plan successful.

TEN THINGS TO DO TO GET HYUKJAE BACK

  1. Never, and I mean never, get jealous at every mention of the boys’ moms, or upon meeting them.
  2. Do not do anything to anger the boys
  3. Romance Hyukjae the way he likes it: flowers, cute notes, and writing lyrics dedicated for him.
  4. NEVER EVER bring up the ex-wife.-not like I will, but ok.
  5. NEVER EVER bring up his affairs with the nine moms.
  6. Give him space when he asks or when he shows signs of wanting space.
  7. Take whatever you can get from Hyuk when he wants it.
  8. Get on the boys’ good side to make sure no pranks will occur. (You played pranks when you were their age. Don’t expect anything less)
  9. Stay away from Heechul-hyung and the three devils.
  10. Remember, you love Hyukjae to the moon and back.

Right now, Donghae was starting to fail at task number one, which was a no-no. He needed to condition his brain that they were all in the past, just like his marriage, and that despite all of this, he was all for courting Hyukjae if that was what it took to get him back. They might not be able to pick up where they left off, but he was sure as hell that he was determined to fix what was broken and for them to start anew, and if his nine boys and their moms will be in the picture, then so be it.

The list helps to remind him on what he needed to do, for the simple reason that he had written as number ten.

He was not going to lose to the past. Not anymore.

When Donghae arrived at the set, the stylists didn’t waste any second and whisked him away to the dressing room, having been late to the first hour of filming for their teaser video for the day. That left Hyerin to go and greet the cast of the day.

“Eommoni!” Byeonghee wasted no time and threw his tall body towards his equally tall mother.

Hyerin laughed as she ruffled her son’s fluffy hair, “Whoa there little Byeong, I can’t catch you every time you trample me.”

Byeonghee merely smiled and snuggled on his mother’s shoulder. “I missed you…”

“Yeah, I was gone for two months and only came back three days after you went to your father’s place, huh?” she said. With Hyerin being a director of numerous large dramas and movies, it was rare for her to be home, and even on times when she was on break, it would only last for a few days, never reaching a week. Byeonghee was too attached to his Eommoni despite her being rarely home.

“Wha?!” Shindong was floored. He didn’t know his friend was one of the women that Hyukjae had charmed. Going by how old Byeonghee was, and when Hyerin revealed her ual preference…oh lord.

Kyuhyun and Siwon were not affected, having known what happened now after Hyukjae told Siwon the night before. True to Changmin’s prediction, Siwon told Kyuhyun the entire story the moment he got off the phone. To say that Kyuyun never expected the outcome was an understatement. Soon after, Kyuhyun had texted Changmin frantically, asking him if what Siwon told him was the truth. Changmin later confirmed the information which made him believe everything.

If this was some sort of joke of the world right now, then Kyuhyun was sure it was targeting Donghae.

“So, Byeonghee is the fourth kid, so she’s Mom Number Four?” Heechul said.

Hyukjae shrugged. “Not exactly…” Hyukjae explained.

“Then why is his surname ‘Song’ and not ‘Park’ then?” Ryeowook wondered.

“And she’s an open lesbian! Hyukkie, did you dress up as a woman to seduce her?!” Kibum asked him. 

“I DID NO SUCH THING!” Hyukjae exclaimed, scandalized that one of his hyungs had that much of an active imagination.

“That’s Mom Number four point five to you.” Hyerin said as she approached the men who were in deep discussion. “Mom number four is his other mom, my wife.”

Eyes were now on Hyukjae, who looked a bit surprised, “I thought Byeonghee told you that he has two moms?” 

“I did!” Byeonghee said. “I even told Changmin-hyung I have two moms.”

Hyerin rolled her eyes, having been warned beforehand by Yubin about the fact that they didn’t know the full story. “I’m his mom, but the one who carried him is my wife when we were still unmarried due to laws, that’s why his surname is Song. Can we move on?” Hyerin told them. “I was very close in kicking out an annoying actress in my previous set, so I don’t have the patience to complicate things for today. Can we carry on and continue the filming?” she asked of them.

No one wanted to argue with the woman. If they knew Park Hyerin, she would not hesitate to kick you out of sets once you get on her nerves.

“What did I miss?” Donghae asked the moment he got out of the clutches of his fussing make-up artists.

“The introduction of Mom 4.5.” Ryeowook said plainly.

“Hyerin-sshi?” Donghae said.

The shorter man whipped his head to face him, “What? You knew and didn’t warn us?”

Donghae lifted his hand in mock surrender, “Hey, if anything, I just found out on my way here too. And what’s with the point five?” he wondered.

“Song Byeonghee is the kid of her wife.” Shindong said as he slid beside them. “Apparently, the one who gave birth to him is her doctor wife, hence the point five order.” 

“Oh…” Donghae let out. “No wonder he doesn’t look like Hyerin-sshi that much.” He muttered under his breath. “Anything else?”

The two raised their brows at his blasé attitude. “You seem to be taking this calmly…” Ryeowook pointed out.

Donghae shrugged, “If I learned anything these past few weeks since knowing the boys’ existence, is that you will just have to go with the flow.” He said with a sigh as he was called out by Hyerin, knowing that it was his turn for his individual take. Shindong and Ryeowook simply shrugged, but quite surprised that Donghae was taking this well.

Unknown to them, Hyukjae had heard the exchange.

The change in the man was shocking, to say the least. It was like in the course of twenty-four hours, he seems to take everything about his boys with a stride. He knew what the action meant. He was trying to adapt to the situation the two of them in. He had seen it multiple times, when they first debuted but with a time limit of three months hanging above their heads, when Kyuhyun joined, their car accident, his father’s passing…he had seen it all.

That was the attitude that he was searching for. Sighing, he went back to the dressing room and opened the note that he had hidden when he received the bouquet earlier. He has been reading and re-reading the message many times in secret now, and all he could think of was the person who sent it.

“Appa, are you okay?”

Hyukjae bolted out of his thoughts at the voice of his eldest who just entered the dressing room, probably just escaped from the clutches of Hyerin who made the boys her assistants when they don’t have to be filmed.

“Shihyun. Aren’t you supposed to be helping Byeonghee and Seunghwan at the set?” he said as he kept the letter away, but not fast enough for Shihyun’s eyes.

“I needed to get something from the storage room nearby.” Shihyun said as he held up a small box. What Hyukjae didn’t know was that Shihyun only used it as a prop because he actually followed his father, worried about where he was headed. It seems that he didn’t have to though. They had been seeing drastic changes on their father since last night after his talk with someone at the balcony.

That was a sign that they were making progress in convincing their father to give Donghae a chance.

Deciding to not beat around the bush, Shihyun simply sighed and looked at his father exasperatedly, “You know we don’t mind, you know?” he told him.

“Hm?” Hyukjae tried to act innocent.

Shihyun tipped his chin up to point at the envelope that Hyukjae had hidden away from his sight, “We know that you’re thinking of the one who sent you those roses. Judging from the customized order, he’s the ex that you told us back then, isn’t he?” he asked him.

He was quite amazed at Shihyun’s deduction skills, but this was his eldest he was talking about. Shihyun was a perceptive boy who never really spoke up unless it was needed, or when things are getting a bit out of hand for his brothers. He was their background pillar, as most of the older kids are. He knew it was futile to hide things from them, but if Shihyun was the one pointing it out and not his nosey trio (Doyum, Byeonghee and Seunghwan), then there was something that the boys wanted to tell him but needed only one representative: their Shihyun-hyung.

“You boys are sharp.” Hyukjae said as he approached Shihyun, signaling that he wanted the two of them to walk back to the set together.

“Appa, don’t avoid the subject.” Shihyun chided. “We know how you get when we talk about this.” he said as he lookes at his father in the eye.

"I'm not avoiding it." Hyukjae denied.

"You and Muti are alike in that aspect enough for me not to believe you." Shihyun returned. "All I am saying is…no matter what, we will support you if you ever decide to give him a chance."

Shihyun didn't have to do anything more when he received a reply.

"We'll see."

It was five in the morning when they had finished filming the teaser video of the concert, and aside from the adults, the nine teenagers were bundled up in one corner of the couch at the waiting room, all of them fast asleep. The three eldest were sleeping upright while the rest were on their shoulders and laps. It was a cute sight to behold, and even the make-up artists and stylists were cooing softly at them when they take a glance at them and had supplied the boys with blankets.

Hyukjae and Hyerin, who came to see how they were holding up, chuckled at them.

“They really are fast asleep huh?” Hyerin mused as she carded her hands through her son’s hair softly.

“They’ve been up since four in the morning and had been practicing before it was time to go on set.” Hyukjae explained as he went towards them. “It’s the first time they’ve participated in a filming.”

Hyerin agreed with an amused stare. “Yeah, my Little Byeong is just used to looking at the process of the set. He was a good assistant today too,”

“You raised him well.” Hyukjae commented as he took a photo of them. They were too adorable, all bundled together with big blankets that were provided by the staff, to resist.

“Send that to the group chat later. I’ll be expecting it.” Hyerin said as she tried to shake Byeonghee awake. She promised the boy that when it was time for her to go, she would bid him goodbye.

“Byeong, it’s time for me to head home.” Hyerin announced.

In an instant, Byeonghee groaned and looked at his mother with half-lidded eyes.

“It’s that time already…?” Byeonghee muttered, half-asleep.

Hyerin kissed her son’s forehead, “I have to baby boy. I need to head home. I’ll tell your Umma you said hi, okay?” she soothed.

Byeonghee nodded and turned to his father, “Are we going soon too?”

“Not for a little while longer, but you all need to prepare to head out once the cars get out of parking.  Don’t worry, I’ll wake you all up.” Hyukjae stated.

Byeonghee nodded in understanding and fell back asleep instantly. Even if he was the easiest to wake, he was also the fastest to fall asleep.

As Hyukjae walked her outside, the two made small talk. “You drove by yourself?” Hyukjae asked.

Hyerin nodded. “I drove with Donghae-sshi following me. We were shooting the same drama early this morning.”

“Oh…” Hyukjae trailed off.

The woman didn’t miss the tiny expression of expectation at the mention of the idol-turned actor. “You seemed to be paying close attention to him today,” Hyerin mentioned, deciding to bring up her observation of the day when she was instructing the filming.

She wasn’t stupid. Even Shindong had pointed out more than once that Hyukjae was the ‘mystery lover’ that Donghae had left when he got married to the actress (whom she didn’t like from the start too).

Hyukjae shrugged, “I’m just deep in thought about him.” he brushed off.

Hyerin snorted at his statement, “Yeah right, like I’ll believe that over Yubin flooding our messages about what happened the other day. It’s her words against yours.”

Hyukjae groaned. “Hyerin-sshi, please.”

The woman raised her hands in surrender, “All I am saying is, give the guy a chance. I’ve worked with him long enough to tell that when he puts his mind into it, he will stop at nothing just to get what he wants.” She said as she went to where her car is parked, leaving Hyukjae alone.

Hyukjae sighed and decided to turn and return to the room where the boys are sleeping to watch over them while sleeping.

When he arrived though, he saw Donghae gathering his stuff, his back facing Hyukjae.

In the past three years since he has seen him, Donghae had filled out quite nicely, thanks to his self-care. Hyujkae had never seen a man so handsome than his ex-boyfriend.

He took himself out of his thoughts and entered the room, startling Donghae.

“Oh, Hyuk…” Donghae said awkwardly. All the bravery he had mustered since the night before and on the way to the set hours ago was gone at the mere thought of having Hyukjae alone—well, not alone, but the kids were sleeping, so it didn’t count.

“Leaving for the next set?” Hyukjae asked him as he sat on one of the make-up chairs.

Donghae looked away and put his things away in his duffel bag. “Uh…no. Not until the day after tomorrow with Hyerin-sshi.”

“Yeah. I heard about her not wanting to deal with the actress you work with today and needed time to cool down before she could kill her.” Hyukjae mused. “Reminds me of the time you came home complaining about one when you first started out.” 

At that point, the atmosphere got a bit heavy, and Donghae was at a loss. He could remember that day, when he came home and complained about a y rookie idol who thought he sun shines on her, only to be shot down by the assistant director. That woman was Donghae’s ex-wife.

“Hyukjae…I…”

Hyukjae wasted no time and opened up a new conversation by bringing up the letter in his hands, the one from the bouquet of blue roses. Opening his mouth, he recited the contents of the letter.

 

I was walking again today and coincidentally saw you

You look like you’re doing well as always

That familiar perfume and still I miss you

The smile you gave to me…

 

I contemplate whether to call you or not

Running out of breath is all because of you

I calm myself but it barely lasts ten minutes

Erasing the scribbles you wrote in my heart

I guess I don’t want to yet, I don’t want to erase you.

 

I thought tomorrow would be fine

But the more time passes, the deeper it gets

After this longing passes, I thought my heart

Would be new, but like a broken clock

It’s still the same time.

 

I become your shadow, following you every day

With my exhausted shoulders

If I take a step closer, you take two steps back

I have no choice but to look at you.

 

Still you, you, you, I haven’t forgotten you.

 

Don’t go away like the rain

Again today, I’m drenched

And in the wet traces, I’m looking for you

Will I be able to erase?

If only I could do this once more

Just one more chance so I could see you.

 

Can you give me another chance?

 

Silence reigned in the room as Hyukjae finished reading the letter in his hands. By looking at Donghae's face, he knew he found the sender.

"You really don't think I wouldn't recognize the lyrics to the songs you wrote in English, didn't you?"

Donghae should have expected that Hyukjae would confront him about it immediately, just not in a room with sleeping teenagers.

"What exactly do you want from me, Lee Donghae?" Hyukjae asks.

Figuring it was best to own up than to deny it, Donghae stepped in front of him. He reached out for the other man's hand, who surprisingly allowed it.

Hyukaje could feel his skin tingle at the touch of the man who had held him with nothing short of care and love. He found himself missing how Donghae would always caress his knuckles during their cuddling sessions.

Donghae had been up all night, thinking of a script that he would tell Hyukjae that would make him consider in giving him a chance. He thought about a lot of flowery words, but he settled on a simple one, just because he knew that Hyukjae deserved a straight answer.

"Hyuk… I know I can't erase what happened in the past but…will you give me a chance to prove to you that I still want you in my life?" he mustered.

Hyukjae knew that this was it.

This was not the first time that Donghae had tried to reconnect with him for the past three years, and those times, he still rejected his advances due to his own doubts.

But this man, despite a bomb being dropped that he has nine sons and misunderstood, still wanted to try, despite the thought that he might have cheated years ago.

Hyukjae knew what he planted in the minds of most of s, hell, even Junsu had given him an impromptu lecture on keeping it in his pants from then on before he could explain about his sons. He did it on purpose to at least assure him, in some twisted way, that there might still be something between the two of them. Call it stupid, but he couldn't think of another way to confirm it.

The ones who gave him the push to try, however, lied with his boys, whose own love lives reminded him of his own, and maybe, things may need second chances and second tries.

Speaking to Shihyun, and seeing Wumuti’s encounter with the Chinese idol has brought that into perspective.

Heaving a deep sigh, he stared at Donghae straight in the eyes. "Okay."

As if not expecting a positive answer, Donghae rambled on, “Of course, if you’re seeing someone, I’ll back off, even if you say no, I’ll respect it, but I will try to…what?” he stopped himself.

Smiling slightly at the man before him, Hyukjae repeated himself. “I said okay.” He confirmed. Donghae became flustered, earning a raised brow at him, “Lee Donghae, did you really set yourself up for rejection even before you spouted your declaration of wanting to prove to me that you still deserve a chance?”

It wasn’t condescending at all, rather, it was a teasing statement that really kicked Donghae out of his negative little head.

“I-I didn’t expect you to say yes right away and…” he tried to explain, but it seems that he spent all his courage in saying his piece a few seconds earlier. The confidence flew out the window the moment Hyukjae agreed.

Hyukjae shook his head in amusement as he stood from where he sat. “Aish, what will I do with you, you idiot.” He chided and retrieved his hands from Donghae (rather reluctantly). “You better make sure that what you’re saying isn’t all the courage you have.” He stated. “Because I will not be that easy to get captured by you again, now that I have guard dogs.” He joked as he walked out the door. “I’ll be sure to expect a lot from you, Donghae.” He said with an assuring smile and left the room, probably to check if their mangers have gotten the cars out of the parking lot.

Donghae stared dumbly at the door for a few more minutes, trying to piece together what the hell just happened and what he did in his past life to give him this kind of big chance to get the love of his life back.

It took a while, but he found himself smiling, glad that his preparations from bribing Shindong to slip in the bouquet this morning while he was not around and to staying up all night jumbling his lyrics in English to find the right way of conveying his intentions with Hyukjae had come to fruition.

His smile stayed for the rest of the morning, even when they had all parted for the day.

He failed to notice that the moment Hyukjae had left, nine pairs of eyes who heard everything from the moment Byeonghee woke up, were staring at his back with grins that mean danger.

It was time.

TBC

Hmm. Who among you can guess that the list will not really be followed? XD

I'm back~ A month away from writing hurt me, but life is hard and so will the updates. Sorry about that. 

Whew, a bit over 5k words? Haha, I hadn't done that since the last one I wrote in AO3 and FFN. 

See you guys next chapter!