Chapter 1

In This House

Lee Hyukjae was what you call an unconventional man. A former idol, now a dance studio owner, concert director, and a father of nine. 

While the latter part is a bit too shocking for a normal person, it was all fine for Hyukjae. After all, it's not every day you find out at the age of thirty-five that you managed to procreate nine children.

Hyukjae sighed as he looked at his watch again, wishing for time to just go faster because he cannot wait anymore in the front porch.

Today was the day when three out of his nine kids would be arriving for summer vacation, and it was also the first time he trusted Shihyun and Wumuti with the car alone while Doyum would try to herd them all in the said car.

Not a minute later, he hears the familiar honking of the car he trusted the boys with.

"Appa!!"  The voices of three teenagers screamed at the top of their lungs as the car windows slid down revealing hands on each window of the car.

Hyukjae noticed that their luggage were carefully strapped on the car roofs, and he would bet that there are more at the trunk. He really wished the minibus didn’t break down at this time. He never should have taught Shihyun and Wumuti how to drive using the minibus so early in the first place. His van was not working too well with the people and the luggage.

Smiling his lovable gummy smile, Hyukjae waved at them as the two eldest parked the car in front of the house. All of a sudden, he was bombarded with three teenagers that he almost fell on the pavement.

"Whoa there boys. You still need a guardian and I don't think your parents will be happy about you boys sending me to the ER because of a greeting injury." he joked.

They all immediately got off their father and proceeded to collect their luggage from the car, with the older ones helping the younger in removing their luggage that were tied at the car roofs.

“What happened to the minibus?” Suren wondered out loud as they all dragged their suitcases inside the house.

“Appa was teaching Wumuti and Shihyun how to drive the minibus the other day when they ran over the oak tree a block away from here.” Doyum busted.

“Not like you were any better. You handed the wheels to Shihyun at last minute.” Wumuti returned.

Hyukjae laughed as he called their attention, “I’ll be picking it up tomorrow in time for us to drive to the studio for the start of the summer dance classes next week, no worries.” He assured them. “Now, does everyone remember their roommates?”

“Yes~” the nine kids replied.

“Well then, Suren, you need to sleep off the jetlag, so everyone, unpack and I’ll see you all at dinner after you’re done.” Hyukjae ordered as the nine teenagers stood up and followed their father.

An hour and a half into sending them to their rooms, Hyukjae decided to survey their rooms one by one. The boys were too quiet for his liking right now.

When Hyukjae had bought the property five years ago, he never expected that the extra rooms that he had would turn into bedrooms. He had originally planned them to be converted into his personal practice room and storage. That was until he received a call three years ago, informing him that his children were looking for him, and are interested in getting to know him.

What seemed to be a simple meeting had turned into something that changed his life forever. In a single day, he had gained a bigger family. Back then, he only had his parents and older sister, Sora, and then came her husband and their twin girls. Now he had nine children and he now has some sort of friendship towards their own parents who trusted him enough to take care of all of them for the summer, and some, full time, due to certain reasons.

Peeking into the three bedrooms where three of them share a room, he almost wanted to laugh as all of them turned out to be more tired than they let on, for all of them were fast asleep the moment they unpacked and changed into their casual clothes. They would all be awake by six in the evening, just in time for him to prepare the homecoming dinner for the three of them. The journey from Seoul where they generally meet up after they're released from training, the drive to Incheon International Airport for Suren and getting past their neighborhood really can take a lot out of the kids. He did try to offer to pick them up instead, but the boys insisted in being independent.

When he arrived at the kitchen, he nodded in satisfaction that he had finished the preparations before the boys arrived. All that was left was for him to cook their favorite dish: Dak Galbi.

As he began to cook the dish and the side dishes, his phone rang from the countertop. Not bothering to pick it up or look at the caller ID, he simply pressed the loudspeaker button as he continued on his task. “Hello. This is Hyukjae and you’re interrupting my cooking.” He said in a joking tone.

“YAH, LEE HYUKJAE! WHAT DO YOU MEAN INTERRUPTING?!” the familiar loud voice of Kim Heechul reverberated from the kitchen, almost making Hyukjae drop the knife on his finger. He glanced back at the phone to see the caller ID being ‘Jungsoo-hyung’ which led Hyukjae to believe that they were together.

“Ah! Heechul-hyung, I was really cooking and you almost made me chop my finger off!” he complained.

“Why are you cooking at this hour anyway? It’s like three hours before dinner.” Heechul complained.

Hyukjae rolled his eyes even though he knew that Heechul wouldn’t see. “Some dishes takes time, hyung. And why do you have Jungsoo-hyung’s phone?”

A small ruffling sound later and Hyukjae heard his ex-leader’s voice. “We’re actually in the middle of driving to your place.”

At that, Hyukjae stopped cooking altogether. “What? My house? Why?” he wondered, panicking.

“It’s something that I need to discuss with you personally. Don’t worry, it’s nothing bad.” Jungsoo assured.

There was one thing the Hyukjae had forgotten the moment he turned into a father of nine. Telling his ex-teammates about them. For all of his children and their parents, there was an indirect gag order for all of them to not mention that their father was a former idol to other people in fear of being taken advantage of by not only the paparazzi but also to their respective companies where they are trainees of back in Seoul, not including Suren and Wumuti (for a time), who were trainees of their own in China.

Ever since they had disbanded, Hyukjae was in regular contact with only a few members, but that happened while the kids are at their own homes or are in school and training when they meet up for a few drinks or two. Never in the three years of his fatherhood had he mentioned that little fact to his ex-members, especially not to Jungsoo the mother hen and to Heechul the diva.

He figured it was high time they meet, and really, if it’s something important, as Jungsoo had mentioned, it was bound to be something about the former idol group. It would also help that the two eldest would be the first to know just to be on the safe side.

“Well, if it’s going to take you two to come to my place personally to say it, might as well join us for dinner.” He offered.

Silence was met for a few seconds before the two replied in unison, “What do you mean ‘Us’?” 

“I’ll explain when you get here.” Hyukjae stated. “We’re having Dak Galbi.”

“Ooh! Our trainee days comfort food!” Heechul exclaimed, clearly excited. “Wait, since when did you learn how to cook it? Last time I knew, you and Donghae had to go to a specific restaurant to buy it because you don’t know how to make it.”

The mention of Donghae sent a small pang in Hyukjae, but he chose to ignore it. “Years of research and trial and errors, hyung. Are you coming for dinner or not?” he asked.

Jungsoo somehow managed to wrench his phone from Heechul, “We’ll be there in two hours, Hyukjae. We look forward to the food!”

“You better.” Hyukjae replied as the call ended.

He took a deep breath. Well. Might as well tell the kids when they wake up.

“We’re seriously meeting them?!” nine enthusiastic voices inquired at their father in excitement as some of them had utensils and plates on their hands, ready to set the table for twelve at their backyard. It was a good evening, and not very windy, and it had ample space to when the teenagers decided to be playful in the backyard. Hyukjae had reminded them that if they were to go out for some fresh air and a good outdoor activity, they ought to do it with their outdoor clothes--which they are now dressed for.

Hyukjae was glad for custom-made extendable tables as it made him anticipate how many people would come by to his house to have dinner while not sending guests to the living room for dinner because the table didn’t have enough seats.

Hyukjae simply nodded as he helped set up the table with Shihyun and Wumuti. “Yes. They’re coming over for dinner to discuss something with me, so I invited them.” He informed.

“But Appa, don’t they know about us?” Doyum wondered.

“They will now.” Hyukjae stated. “It never came up on our casual meet-ups, and I didn’t want to compromise your privacy if I suddenly tell them out of the blue about our family circumstances in public. It’s better if they find out while we’re on private property.” He reasoned.

His children knew that Hyukjae hiding the fact that he was their biological father was not him hiding dirty laundry. In his early days as an idol, privacy was a blessing to most of them. He remembered Kyuhyun’s family stalker who didn’t stop harassing him and his family until he came back from military service to launch a proper lawsuit against the stalker. He must also remember that the obsessive fans were the reason for one of Heechul’s car accidents and why he never touched the steering wheel again.

He wanted them to be protected as much as he could, at least until after they debut, and if hiding their parentage does the trick then so be it. He had also made sure a few years back that their parents would not reveal his identity to anyone once they find out. That was how much he had thought things through long before he went to the clinic and before he became a father. He would not let the public take advantage of them if he could help it.

“I figured if there would be someone from my former idol group knowing about you guys first, I'd rather it be the two eldest.” he reasoned.

Just in time, the buzzer at the gate was heard. “I'll get it.” Doyum volunteered, having finished setting the table.

Hyukjae allowed him, wanting to pull one over his hyungs once in a while.

“Do you think they won't freak out?” Byeonghee asked.

Hyukjae suddenly let out a smile. “I'd be surprised if they didn't.”

Jeon Doyum was nervous but excited. He would be meeting the renowned hosts, Awards Host Park Jungsoo and the best variety show Host, Kim Heechul in seconds. The moment he saw an unfamiliar car waiting at the gates, Doyum verified their identity when Heechul had shouted playfully at the intercom.

“Eunhyuk open up!”

Doyum didn't need to be told twice and opened the maximum security gate and let them in, careful not to miss any lurkers in the property that followed the car. The last time that happened, their parentage was almost exposed. It was a good thing only a few of them stays with their father full-time. It took ten minutes to get to the driveway, and Doyum anticipated them a minute later.

He stood at the front porch as the car came to a stop just in front of the front porch.

When the two of them came out, they were both wearing puzzled expressions. “Hello.” Jungsoo started awkwardly.

Doyum bowed to them respectfully. “Good evening. I'm Jeon Doyum. Appa has been expecting you.”

Both their eyes widened like saucers at the mere term. “Appa?!”

Smiling his cute and charming smile, he motioned them inside. “Let's head in. Everyone is at the backyard for our homecoming dinner.” he mentioned enthusiastically. The two adults only nodded and followed Doyum dumbly.

“Hey, Teukkie, do you think Eunhyuk is pulling a fast one on us? This kid looks to be around seventeen!” he hissed.

Jungsoo leaned towards him. “I'm as confused as you are, Heechul. Let's just wait for him to tell us.”

The seventeen year-old smiled in front of them. He now knew why his father was really looking forward to this.

“Don't worry, Appa will explain once we get there.” he assured them.

As they got to the backyard, they immediately heard laughter and a bit of a ruckus with clacking plates and utensils being set up outside. When they finally arrived, both Jungsoo and Heechul could only stare at the sight. There were eighteen kids shuffling about the backyard carrying plates of side dishes and fresh greens. What caught their attention most, however, was the sight of Hyukjae carrying a large clay pan of Dak Galbi, followed by four teenagers holding the same, and wearing aprons.

“Alright guys, to your seats. Doyum should be here by now with the guests.” he called out.

That was all it took for Heechul to snap in attention. Doyum was about to announce his arrival when Heechul burst out to the backyard. “Yah! Lee Hyukjae!” he called out. Luckily for Hyukjae, the moment Heechul shouted, he and his four eldest had already settled the large pans on the table.

Having the guts to look sheepish at his hyungs, he waved at them weakly. “Hey hyung!”

Jungsoo and Heechul had to double take at his happy attitude. “What is this gathering?” Jungsoo asked, placing a hand on Heechul's shoulder to calm him down.

The younger man glanced back at teenagers. “We're having a homecoming dinner of course.” he said. “It's not every day I get to spend time with all of my kids.”

“Eh?!”

“So let me get this straight.” Jungsoo began as they ate together at the long table, and ten minutes after Hyukjae managed to calm down his worrywart leader from almost hyperventilating. “You were a donor, and you have nine kids in total?”

Hyukjae nodded. “As far as they can tell me.” He said, pointing at the eldest who did the initiative in finding him first.

“And you never bothered to tell us?” Heechul added, pointing his chopsticks at Hyukjae.

Hyukjae raised his hand in surrender, “To be honest, I didn't think their parents would choose me as their donor. I thought it was just going into cryo for the rest of eternity.”

“Don't say that Appa.” Siyoung defended. “My parents really were grateful that they chose you. If it helps, most donors didn't want any contact with the kids they fathered, let alone invite all of them for summer vacation.”

The protest murmur of his kids followed, trying to assure their father that he was a great donor.

Jungsoo found himself smiling admirably at his former bandmate. He really grew up well after their disbandment. Who could have known he would be a great father-figure for nine teenagers?

Heechul, who thought the same as Jungsoo, shook his head in amusement. “To think you out of all of us would be a father first. At least you skipped the diapers.”

“Heechul.” Jungsoo chided. “There’s no point in getting upset that he became a dad before us.” He half-joked.

Hyukjae knew that it really was a small joke on the side of the two, for during their casual meet-ups, Jungsoo and Heechul were considering adoption, but with how busy they have been for the past few years, their work ethics was no place for a child, let alone a baby.

“We could give you Doyum, but he’s Appa’s favorite.” Byeonghee said as he tapped Doyum on the shoulder.

“He’s everyone’s favorite.” Junseo defended.

“No one is being given away if I could help it.” Hyukjae joined in. “You're all my students after all.”

Heechul hummed. “So… Is it rude to ask how this all happened?”

“Well, long story short, all of us siblings got to know each other first, and we found Appa when Shihyun and Wumuti turned eighteen and brought us all along.” Byeonghee told them. “We have known for years that we were donor siblings because our parents got in touch with each other since we couldn't reach out to him until one of us turned eighteen and just string us along.”

“How long ago was this?” Jungsoo wondered.

“A bit over three years ago.” Hyukjae supplied. “I didn't know how to tell you guys while we were in public, and I didn't want to compromise their privacy even more now that they're idol trainees and my students at the studio.” he stated reasoned.

Heechul and Jungsoo didn't really question hid paranoia, as they can really feel his sentiments. Fame can really take a toll on the unprepared, especially when it comes to obsessed fans. After all, they experienced everything first hand.

“You say they're trainees? Are you from different companies?” when the kids nodded, Heechul huffed, honestly offended. "You didn't tell them to try auditioning at SM?”

“They were planning, but…” Hyukjae looked at them with amusement. “They're terrified of Yesung-hyung.”

At the mention of Yesung, the three suddenly went into a fit of snickers, confusing the teenagers. As trainees that network, every trainee fears auditioning for SM for a man named Kim Jongwoon, known by his stage name Yesung, awaits the final evaluation that only one or two people could pass, and even then, the official trainees would face undeniable hardship in training, but in exchange, financial help is present. Hyukjae knew the origin of the financial assistance. They swore when they were beginning that they would never let another idol work so hard and survive the day even harder due to financial constraints.

He admired that the moment the last CEO had retired, he handed the company to a very responsible man, and that everything that SM had achieved continued being added.

If only the debuting idols were increasing too. They had Yesung to thank for that.

“Yeah. I can see why.” Jungsoo agreed.

“But seriously, why not take the risk?” Heechul asked.

The nine kids only shook their heads frantically, making Hyukjae answer for them. “They heard horror stories from trainees who did. I tried to tell them it might not be that scary, but they didn't want to believe me.”

“It's not scary for you since you worked with him Appa…” Doyum reasoned. “The trainees that auditioned actually had to listen to his cold voice stating that they’re not putting enough effort in their singing.”

“Makes sense since he was our main vocalist.” Hyukjae refuted. “But you need to understand, Yesung-hyung is very particular in choosing idols as SM had before. Only a bit higher in standards.”

“Speaking of the group,” Jungsoo started. “That’s the reason why we came today.”

Now interested, Hyukjae sat in attention. “Oh, yeah, you mentioned it’s something important.”

Having ten sets of eyes on Jungsoo and Heechul made them feel a bit uncomfortable, but Jungsoo carried on. “SM is planning on holding a special concert.”

“Oh? Is SHINee having their comeback concert? Taemin just got out of military service, didn’t he?”

 “Nope. Not that, Hyukkie.” Heechul confirmed.

“What I’m saying is, they want to hold a reunion concert for Super Junior.” Jungsoo dropped.

Hyukjae raised a brow, “So soon?”

“Well the ELFs miss us. Who are we to refuse?” Heechul stated.

“Everything has been set, and all we need now are our members, and our director.” Jungsoo said, looking at Hyukjae directly.

A bit baffled, Hyukjae pointed at himself, “Me?”

Heechul groaned, “Yes you. Don’t think we don’t know you were the concert director for NCT’s concert last year.” He pointed out. “All of us will be there.”

“All? As in, all fifteen?” he inquired again.

Jungsoo nodded, seeing the spark in Hyukjae’s eyes. “Yes. Fifteen.”

TBC