Chapter 7

New

The night wasn't over just yet. Hana could feel the excitement radiating off her cousin's entire being and there was no way she was leaving without the full story. She knew of her cousin's not so subtle crush on the council's secretary, Hyunjin. Hana already making her choice the second she heard about the bet that Heejin had proposed. 

“Speaking of which, how did your plan go?” Hana asks as she moves to sit comfortably on the couch.

Despite the dark environment, Hana could still see the blush across Heejin's cheeks making her smile. 

"Well, I was nervous at first but she was nice. She spoke to me first asking me about the party. We got to talking and well, I mustered as much courage as I could to get her number. We promised to text each other after getting home." 

The sides of Heejin's lips were close to meeting with her eyes. There was no way Heejin was going to forget this night. Her head was already spinning from being upclose and personal with Hyunjin and now, texting! There was only so much Heejin's heart could take. Immersed in her thoughts about a certain feline girl, she didn't notice Hana's teasing looks. She finally snaps out of her Hyunjin filled thoughts and focused on Hana. She noticed Hana helping herself to another glass of champagne, taking small sips. 

"You still haven't told me about what happen between you and that new girl" Heejin speaks up amidst the loud EDM music in the background. 

Heejin witnessed the glint in her cousin's eyes. There was something ambigous yet she could see the delight hidden behind her glint. Heejin had only seen that glint once, long ago, but it was back. Hana got up from the chair as she beckoned for Heejin to follow her. They headed up a small staircase behind the curtain as they stepped out onto the roof. It was significantly more quiet on the roof. 

"I was rejected, Heekkie." 

Heejin was right. Hana was rejected. But why? 

"I didn't tell anyone this but I had Choerry send another invitation to the new girl" Hana spoke up.

Heejin stared at Hana - shocked by Hana's sudden confession. 

"I guess you could say I was intrigued. I saw her standing with Jo Haseul and Jung Jinsoul staring at us from the window of the office. Something about her - it drew me to her. It isn't her looks - the way she watched me, her eyes felt like they were staring right through me, I know it sounds cheesy but it's true. I had to know who she was so I had Choerry find out though that lead to nothing. Only her name, Yves Ha. Something about that girl made me feel things I never thought was possible and yet, I barely know her. Weird, isn't it, Heejin?" 

Heejin's eyebrows were now furrowed. 

"Weird? Maybe. Impossible? No. You've fallen in love, Hana. Everything you've just said was what I went through when I first started to like Hyunjin" Heejin said as she walked over to Hana, placing her hands upon Hana's shoulders. 

Hana chuckles lightly.

"That's a bit much, Heejin. Love isn't what I would quite describe this. A fascination is more probable" Hana speaks, lightly dismissing Heejin's words, "I've yet to determine what I'm feeling towards her. Like I said before, I can't wait to explore further." 

"But---" Heejin tries to counter but Hana cuts her off, "No buts. I appreciate your concern, Heejin but I want to deal with this myself. All you need to do is focus on Hyunjin." 

Hana gently peels Heejin's hands off her shoulders. 

"Let's head home. This party is starting to bore me" Hana says with a small smile. 

Heejin didn't argue as they left the rooftop, meeting Lip and Olivia who were back on the second floor. Hana announced that they were leaving as the others promptly agreed. They left the club, hopping into the limousine as the driver pulled out of the club's lot. Hana noticed Lip's hair was a bit messy and spots something glittery along Lip's neck. Hana snickers, deciding against asking Lip as she kept it to herself.  She could only imagine the things her friends do when she wasn't looking. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Meanwhile, after Yves's escape from Hana, she had called her driver immediately. She didn't want to stay any longer, hoping not to bump into anyone. Her driver arrived soon after as she jumped in, telling him to shut the barrier to which he did so promptly. She was left to think by herself. Her mind replaying the event from earlier, bringing heat to her cheeks as she tried not to blush so deeply. She had just confirmed that she wasn't hallucinating. Hana was also into her - Hana liked her! 

So, why did she apologise? Yves cursed herself. Stupid! Why did you even say sorry? Now, she's going to think you didn't like her. Yves groans in annoyance, kicking her feet out. She laid her head against the headrest, sighing as a smile spread across her face. Out of everyone in the school, Hana chose to speak to Yves, that fact was enough to send Yves to the moon. A knock on the barrier broke Yves's train of thoughts. The barrier went down slowly. 

"Sorry to disturb, Miss Yves. I just wanted to inform you that we will arrive back soon." 

"Okay. I understand." 

The car pulls up in front of the complex's lobby. The doorman opening the car door for Yves to step out. She thanked him before walking into the warmly litted lobby, pressing the up button for the elevator which arrived soon. She stepped into the elevator, pressing the button for her floor before stepping back, the elevator doors sliding shut. She hummed to the elevator's music, tapping her feet against the floor, the smile still hasn't left her face. As soon as the elevator arrived, the doors slide open as Yves walks through. She noticed how quiet it was, Jiso must have gone to bed so she walked upstairs into her room. 

She flopped face first onto her bed. She finally realised that she would have to face Hana the next day. She jumped up from bed, groaning as she regretted her stupid actions. How was she going to face Hana now? Also, a dozen people had seen her with Hana so how was she ever going to avoid public attention? She flopped back onto her bed, feeling worn-out from the day. She wanted a peaceful year without any attention but that idea was clearly out of the window now. She allowed sleep to take over as she decided to just worry about the effects tomorrow. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The next morning, Yves arrived in school feeling conscious of her surroundings. She breathes a sigh of relief when she didn’t see the person she was trying to avoid. She walks happily, noticing that the people in school were ignoring her and doing their own things. However, she wasn’t aware of the blonde sneaking behind her.

“Boo!”

Yves screamed in fear, falling forward as she lifted her head to see Jinsoul staring at her with wide eyes.

Jinsoul holds out her hand, “I’m sorry. I didn’t mean to scare you!”

Yves takes Jinsoul’s hand as Jinsoul pulls her up, Yves brushing the dirt off her uniform.

“It’s fine. Just didn’t expect that to happen” Yves says, her eyes scanning the area once again, making Jinsoul look around as well. 

“She’s not going to use this way if that’s what you’re afraid of.”

Yves sighs in relief.

“Really? Oh, great!”

She does a double take, looking at Jinsoul who was standing with her arms crossed.

“How did you....” Yves’s question trails off.

“It’s pretty obvious. Rumors spread fast. Just about everyone in the school has seen Hana talking to you at the party last night” Jinsoul answered.

Yves facepalmed. She wanted to stay lowkey until she graduated high school but clearly it wasn’t going to happen now.

“Come on! Haseul wants to see you before class begins” Jinsoul pipes up.

Her hands placed upon Yves shoulders as she guided Yves to the student council room. From outside the door, she could hear loud chattering from inside. Jinsoul didn’t hesitate to turn the knob of the doors, pushing it open as she made her way inside with Yves.  Yves could see the council members gathered in the common area, chatting with one another. Noticing another presence in the room, they greeted her cheerfully. Jinsoul tells Yves to head into Haseul's office. Yves nods, making her way up to Haseul's office, knocking as she turned the knob, pushing the door open. She walks in, closing the door behind her as Haseul beckons her in to take a seat. 

"Jinsoul said you wanted to see me" Yves starts the conversation. 

"Yes, I was worried after you suddenly disappeared from the table last night. Where did you go?" 

"Oh! I went home. I was a bit tired from the day. The loud music and sweaty bodies wasn't helping" Yves lies through her teeth. 

Haseul scrutinises her but nods after a while. 

"I understand. It gets a bit rowdy but I hope you would tell me first before leaving. I was worried that something might have happened to you" Haseul says, expressing her concern. 

Yves nods, "I will. Sorry for scaring you." 

Haseul shakes her head, "It's alright." 

Yves then leaves Haseul's office before bidding the others goodbye as she heads to class. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

During lunch, Yves decides to hide away from the crowd. She had time to waste before her next class as she wonders the school grounds, finally finding a spot under a large shady tree. She sits on the grass, leaning her back against the trunk as she enjoyed the cool breeze unaware that the person that she wished to avoid had spotted her. 

“You’re hiding from me, aren’t you?”

Yves was startled by the voice as she jumps up into a defensive position. She sees Hana leaning part of her body on the tree trunk – an amused grin plastered across her face. Yves seeing that it was Hana, cleared , moving back into a laxer position before straightening her uniform.

“I’m not sure what you are talking about” Yves answers in response to Hana's question. 

Hana hums.

“So, you aren’t running away from me because of what happened at the party last night?”

Yves looked away hurriedly, hiding the blush that had appeared on her cheeks. Hana moved from her spot and etched closer towards Yves.

“Don’t worry. I don’t bite neither will I harm you. Instead, I hope to see you more around the academy, Miss Ha.”

Hana took a few steps back and gave Yves a lopsided grin.

“Well, farewell. For now.”

Hana then turns and walks away allowing Yves to breathe normally. Yves could feel her heart running as fast as a horse in a race. She hurried back to class at the sound of the bell but she found herself unable to concentrate at all. As she recalled Hana's grin, her breath was caught in like a struggling frog. Hana exuded an air of mischievousness and coolness, it drew Yves's attention even more. Yves found herself daydreaming about Hana's warm dreamy hazel eyes on that cloudy Wednesday afternoon. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The next day, Yves decides to rest underneath the shady tree once again. A small hope that maybe Hana would once again appear. Just like that, her wish was fulfilled as Hana appears – her silver hair tied into a high ponytail, her signature lopsided grin accompanied her. Hana plops herself down beside Yves. Yves felt her heart racing at their close proximity. 

"Are you still afraid of me, Yves?" 

Hana turns to look at Yves with raised eyebrows. 

Yves shakes her head slowly like a child denying its fault. Hana smiles fully now and Yves thinks it's the most beautiful things she's even seen. 

"Good. Am I going to be doing all the talking or are you going to participate?" Hana teased. 

"--I. I don't know what to talk about" Yves confessed, she really didn't know what to talk about with Hana. 

"Well, for starters, how about school? How's your school life so far?" Hana asked, opening the conversation. 

"It's been interesting, I guess" Yves answers. 

Hana laughs, "No way, school is hella boring! Nothing about it is interesting especially if you have Mr Go as your Chemistry teacher."

Hana's laugh was contagious as Yves cracked a smile, finding herself laughing along to Hana's jokes about her teachers. Yves interrupts Hana in between conversations as the two went back and forth. Yves never realised how easy it was to speak to someone. She thought Hana would be one of those who would be hard to talk too but it was the opposite. Hana was the perfect girl - smart, funny and the complete opposite of her looks, at least to Yves, she was. Time went by so quickly as the bell rang, successfully breaking their conversation. 

Yves didn't want to go to class, she wanted to stay and talk more with Hana but she knew that wasn't possible. She was reluctant to leave. Hana also felt that way as she helped Yves off the ground. She hesitated to speak, occassionally glancing at Yves. 

"It was nice talking to you, Yves" Hana says. 

"Me too. I had a great time" Yves says rather sadly. 

Noticing Yves's sudden mood, Hana smiles fondly, her hand moving against her will to ruffle Yves's hair shocking them both. Hana pulled her hand away immediately. 

"Sorry, I don't know what came over me" Hana apologises but Yves shakes her head. 

"It's fine." 

"You're going to be late for class if you don't go now. I guess I'll meet you here tomorrow?" Hana questions. 

Yves nods excitedly, "I will be here tomorrow." 

Hana chuckles, "Great! I'll see you here tomorrow then, Yves." 

Hana proceeds to wave before taking off leaving Yves to jump around, squealing excitedly. On the other side, Hana was smiling widely as well as she walked towards her own class.