Chapter 21

New

My apologies for the long wait! I hope this chapter is up to par, but if it isn't, please don't beat me too harshly :) Without further ado, please enjoy!

 


 

114+ Best Moving On Quotes About Moving Forward & Letting Go

 

 

Yeji leans over to wipe the tears running down her poor best friend's face, pouting teasingly at Hana, saying: 

 

"It seems Christmas came early and Santa left behind his little reindeer." 

 

Hana chuckles, pushing away Yeji's hand playfully and glares at her through a bout of fresh tears. Yeji laughs, her eyes disappearing as she does. Reaching over her side, she pulls a couple plys of tissues from the box on the nightstand and dabs away Hana's tears. 

 

"Stop crying!" Yeji orders as Hana tilts her head up and fans her eyes with hopes that it would stop her happy, not sad tears.

 

Hana does eventually stop when the door into the room opens, revealing a brunette girl in a white doctor's coat. 

 

"Yeji, it's time for your checkup," the doctor stops in her tracks when she sees Hana in the room.

 

Hana's eyes darts towards Yeji, surprised by the fact that the doctor called Yeji by her first name. As far as she's known the girl, Yeji didn't like it when  those who aren't close to her uses her name. It's always Miss Hwang.

 

So, why was this doctor casually calling her name? And why isn't Yeji angry? Instead Yeji is beaming like a child on Christmas morning. Weird. 

 

"I apologize, I wasn't aware you had guest," the doctor is quick to say. 

 

Hana catches the soft pink blush of Yeji's cheeks and immediately pieces everything together. She hurriedly clears , hopping off her and onto her feet to approach the doctor. She holds her hand out for the doctor to shake. 

 

"Hi, I am Hana, Yeji's friend. You must be the doctor in charge." 

 

The doctor smiles and nods, giving Hana's hand a firm shake before letting go. "It's a pleasure to meet you. I am Julia, but most people just call me Lia." 

 

Hana glances over her shoulder towards Yeji who appears shyer than ever and silently chuckles, "Yeji is done so, you may take her with you." 

 

Hana walks over to push the wheelchair from the corner to the side of the bed. She slides one hand under Yeji's legs and another across Yeji's back as she lifts Yeji onto the wheelchair, earning her a small thanks. The doctor replaces Hana to stand behind the wheelchair and wheels her out of the room with Hana following behind. They stop in front of the examination room as a nurse brings Yeji in, leaving the two behind as Hana takes the initiave to ask: 

 

"Doctor, do you mind if we have a small chat?" 

 

Lia is surprised by Hana's request but nods regardlessly as they occupy the benches outside the examination room. 

 

"It seems Yeji has taken quite a liking towards you, doctor," Hana mused with a small smile.

 

"Has she?" the doctor asks, hesitant to question more. 

 

"She has," Hana affirms. "Only those close to Yeji is allowed to call her by her name and considering how casual you are with her, I'd say she likes you very much."

 

"That's...I like Yeji a lot too. She is a good girl. It is unfortunate; what has happened to her," the doctor expresses with sympathy.

 

"I see you read her files." 

 

"I read all my patients' files but Yeji's story is the one that saddens me the most. Such talent and yet, it was robbed from her." 

 

Hana lets out a heavy exhale, "She was going to be an even bigger star. Two days after the day of her accident, she was set to attend an international dance competition, but then the accident happened and..." Hana's eyes drops to the ground, speaking with heaviness in her voice, "..She doesn't show it but I can see through her. She misses dancing more than anything. It was her passion; the one way for her to express her feelings and to be free in a world where children like us don't get to." 

 

"I don't know much of how yours and her world is like but I know when I visit her, she is happy and that is all I wish for her. I wish to help her get rid of all the bad memories and fill them with newer, happier ones. I tend to talk a lot so my patients won't feel lonely and that is what I hope for each time I visit Yeji," Lia speaks passionately. 

 

Hana understands now why Yeji is so fond of Lia, the doctor is wise and kind at heart and Hana respects the doctor. 

 

"You are quite the person, Doctor Lia. I see why Yeji likes you so much. Your words are admirable." 

 

The doctor blushes, rubbing her nape from embarassment and says, "Thank you, but I'm just voicing out my true feelings." 

 

Hana laughs happily, "I'm glad Yeji has you. I cannot always be there for her but knowing that she has you puts my heart at ease."

 

"I'm happy to be there for Yeji too. She's a great spirit and she brings a lot of happiness to me," Lia beams, her eyes turning to slits from how wide her smile is. 

 

"Then, I leave Yeji in your good hands, doctor, but," Hana's smile drops, her lips are pressed to form a thin line and her eyes dulls, "If you hurt her or if she ever sheds a tear because of you, I will not be as nice." 

 

Lia gulps at the darkness emitting from Hana's being and nods slowly as Hana's smile returns to her lips and the darkness fades away. 

 

"I won't hurt her, I promise," Lia reassures Hana who puts a thumbs up in response. 

 

Just then, the door opens as the nurse wheels Yeji out, catching both Hana and Lia's attention. They are quick to hop onto their feet and approach Yeji with welcoming smiles. Yeji eyes the two of them suspiciously, eventually stopping on Hana. 

 

"What have you two been doing while I was inside? Kang Hana, you better not have said anything weird," Yeji threatens with a finger pointed at Hana's face. 

 

Hana raises her arms to the air in surrender, and shoots Lia a cheeky wink which gains Yeji's attention. The girl wheels herself over to Hana and smacks Hana who yelps in pain. Hana avoids Yeji's smacks, moving around in circles while Yeji struggles to land a hit. 

 

"Okay, I'm sorry, Yeji! Stop!?" Hana pleads with both palms pressed together in front of her. 

 

Yeji draws a line across her neck uses her thumb, her eyes directed towards Hana who fearfully nods. Yeji drops her hand and smiles at the doctor who is amused by Hana and Yeji's friendship. The three set off back to Yeji's quarters, having light conversations to kill the time. 

 

---

 

Once they return to the room, Hana is taken aback to see Yves there.

 

"What is she doing here?" Hana questions. 

 

It is clear by the surprise on the other girl's face that she was not expecting to see Hana either. The two turn their heads to Yeji for an explanation but Yeji flashes a toothy smile, shrugging her shoulders as a confused Lia looks on. 

 

Flashback (Inside the Examination Room) 

 

After the door closes, blocking her from sight, Yeji calls out to the nurse, "Nurse Kim, I have an urgent call to make. Can I used the phone please?" 

 

The kind nurse smiles and moves Yeji closer to the desk so she could reach the landline. The nurse walks into the other room to give Yeji some privacy as Yeji picks up the phone and dials a number, listening to the ring. Three rings later, the call goes through and she hears a tired voice answers: 

 

??: Hello?

 

Yeji: Hello, Miss Ha. It's me, Hwang Yeji. 

 

Yeji could hear the girl clearing away from the phone before her voice returns. 

 

Yves: Yes, hello. What is this call about? Is it Hana? 

 

Yeji could hear the panic arising in Yves's voice and smiles. This girl really must love Hana. Lucky girl Hana is. 

 

Yeji: Hana is fine, Miss Ha. 

 

Yves: Oh..

 

Yeji: Don't worry, I am calling to talk to you about Hana. I wish to speak face to face. Come to my residence at the recovery hospital. I'll be expecting you in an hour's time. 

 

Yves: I'll be there. 

 

Yeji: See you then, Miss Ha. 

 

She then hangs up the phone and puts it back down. She is content with her plan to reunite her best friend and the love of her life as soon as possible. She knew relying on Hana to do it on her own was a long shot, the girl would most likely delay it on the pretense of not being prepared, so she will play cupid instead. She giggles happily just as nurse Kim reappears from the other room. 

 

"Are you ready, Ms Hwang?" 

 

"Yes, thank you." 

 

End 

 

And so here we are. 

 

"Have a seat both of you," Yeji directs her words towards Hana and Yves. "Lia, could you please move me to the center of the room? Thank you." 

 

The beautiful doctor wakes from her stupor and pushes the wheelchair forward as Hana sits on the bed and Yves settles in the chair by the window. Yeji faces the two of them who won't even look at each other. She sighs deeply.

 

This is going to be hard. 

 

"I will take my leave then," Lia speaks amidst the silence, sliding across the floor like a ninja - a clumsy one as she trips and nearly faceplants. "I'm alright! I'm fine!" 

 

Hana shakes her head, giggling slightly as she turns her face and coincidentally so does Yves. For the first time in what feels like decades, Hana gets a closer look at her ex lover. Hana notes the shorter hair (which is still beautiful), the dark bags under her eyes that appears to have worsen and she's lost weight - appearing gaunt like sleep wasn't in her daily schedule. 

 

Should she send Joohyuk to grab some supplements? Maybe, some snacks, she remembered Yves liked junk food. Maybe import some flower pillows to help her sleep better? 

 

What would be good? Hana wonders, unaware that her eyes have stayed longer than intended on her ex lover. 

 

Yeji lets out a huff, agitated by her friend's shameless stares so she clears several times to grab Hana's attention. Though it didn't appear to work and she notices Yves's slight blurry eyes like she was on the verge of tears. She sighs once more.

 

These two are idiots. I swear after all this, I am taking her off the visitor list. I need a break. 

 

"So," Yeji begins loudly which finally takes Hana's gaze off Yves and onto her. "You must be curious why I placed the two of you in the same room, well, it's because I know how stubborn and dumb Hana can be at times. So, as her friend, I will be the sensible one. You two have some things you need to talk about so I will leave after I say this." 

 

Her eyes flickers over to Yves who flinches and looks down to her intertwined fingers nervously.

 

"I know you were a whistleblower in the case years ago," Yeji says as Yves's head shoots back up in shock. "I can't say I wasn't angry because you didn't help despite being there but I understand. You were young and afraid so, I can't blame you. Also, if not for your witness statements, the perpetrators would have gotten away and no justice would  have been served. I believe everyone makes mistakes and they deserve a second chance if they are willing to change and repent." 

 

Yeji wheels herself closer to Yves and places her hand above Yves's intertwined ones; a soft, warm smile graces her face. 

 

"Which is why I forgive you." 

 

"You shouldn't..." Yves murmurs softly, her eyes flutters up with tears b, threatening to escape. "You shouldn't forgive me. I am a criminal. I don't deserve your kindness or anyone's love." Yves's eyes stray from Yeji, finding Hana's softened gaze upon her;  Yves is happy that there was something other than coldness in Hana's eyes but she breaks it like Hana's attention on her burns.

 

Because she didn't deserve it.

 

Yeji notes the exchange - from Yves directing the last part of her sentence towards Hana to Hana's jaw clenching and relaxing. It is clear as day that Hana is hurt from seeing Yves's reaction towards her. The tension in the room thickens and Yeji is stuck in between. She needs to leave soon, maybe, coax Lia or the nurses to lock the room until the two has settled themselves. But before that, she needs to dissolve Yves's guilt. If not, regardless of what Hana says, Yves is never going to believe her. 

 

"Sooyoung." 

 

Yves's head snaps up, showing equal amounts shock and curiosity. 

 

"Can I call you that?" Yeji asks. 

 

Yves nods wordlessly, earning her a smile from Yeji. 

 

"I know you feel as if you could have done more, but, in that situation, you were influenced by fear, by the people around you. You can continue to live with this guilt, the crime that you believed you've commited, or you can move on, Sooyoung" Yeji asserts, her gaze never leaving Yves to ensure that the brunette is listening, loud and clear. "You move past this guilt and you make peace with it. I know I have, so, can you? Are you willing to let go and live in the present? Or will you continue to let the past hold you back and destroy every good thing in your life?" 

 

Yves nervously chews on her lower lip, unsure of what to say; she is undecided. Can she? Does she have the stomach to? 

 

"This is your decision to make. Yours alone," Yeji concludes, her head turns to Hana who is sitting solemnly, like she was fighting an internal battle of her own. She clears obnoxiously to gain Hana's attention - successful, she might add as Hana tilts her head up to find Yeji. "I need to see my doctor to discuss some matters. Try not to kill each other while I'm gone."

 

Yeji lifts her hands from Yves, wheeling herself out but before she exits the room, she stops by Hana who looks at her with a brow raised. Yeji her head towards Yves, lowering her voice to whisper: 

 

"Talk to her, comfort her and get her back!" 

 

Hana casts a longing glance at Yves, her face softening with something akin to love sickness. "I will," she breathes. 

 

Yeji continues to wheel herself out of the room, shutting the door behind her. A content smile slips past her lips, feeling lighter than she has been in years; the heaviness weighing down on her shoulders are gone and she is at peace. She wheels herself further down the hallway, finding Lia sitting on the wooden bench just outside the windows in the courtyard. Her smile widens and her heart leaps for joy. 

 

She hurriedly finds the automated doors leading to the courtyard and wheels herself through it and down the cement ramp. She makes her way towards the doctor whose lips stretches into a full bloomed smile when she catches sight of Yeji. Lia pushes off the bench and marches towards Yeji, meeting each other in the middle. 

 

"Hi," Yeji greets bashfully. 

 

Adoration pours from Lia's eyes as she replies, "Hello, again." 

 

Even without words, Yeji and Lia understand each other, a missing piece that Yeji needs to complete the puzzle that is her heart. With Lia, everything is simple. She doesn't force Yeji to do anything she doesn't want, she waits patiently for Yeji to trust her and she gives Yeji a renewed resolve. Yeji once believed Hana was her soulmate in life - the one - until she learnt that her love for Hana was one sided and could never be reciprocated. She held on, even after the accident, she kept to her faith; the faith that broke when Lia came and knocked down her walls, little by little until the walls disappeared and realization hit. 

 

Her heart no longer sought out Hana. Hana became a figment of her past. From that moment on, there was only Lia; all she could see, feel and hear was Lia. 

 

And Yeji knew then; she was, no, she is in love with Lia. 

 

---

 

Silence.

 

It suffocates Hana. Yves avoids looking at Hana and that hurt.

 

Was the floor more interesting than she was?

 

Having enough of the silence and Yves ignoring her, Hana decides to end it. 

 

"How have you been?" 

 

Silence. 

 

Hana continues asking, "Have you been sleeping enough? Eating well?" 

 

Nothing. 

 

"Is silence your response to me? Does looking at me disgust you? So much so that you find the floor or the skies more interesting than I am?" Hana presses with anger building up with each unanswered question. Yves looks up for a split second with so much emotions behind her brown eyes that it knocks the air out of Hana's lungs. But still, no answer falls from Yves's lips and she directs her eyes back to her resident spot on the floor. 

 

Unable to take more of Yves's silence, she hops off the bed and thrudges over to Yves, kneeling to the ground in front of Yves. She reaches her hands up, gently cupping both of Yves's cheeks, and lifts it so they are eye to eye. Her breath is taken away once more as she stares at the beautiful girl in front of her. Tears well up in her eyes; the ache in her heart intensifies from having Yves so close to her that it hurts. It hurts because she's spent weeks: hallucinating, crying and losing sleep from how much she missed Yves. 

 

"Please don't..." Hana murmurs, almost begging, "...don't ignore me." 

 

"I was wrong," Hana admits guiltily. "I should have talked to you first, listened to you, but I was a coward. I hurt you, Yves and I have no excuse for that. You can curse at me, hit me, blame me and I won't retaliate. All I wish for is for you to forgive me. I can't and I won't lose you. These weeks have been torture for me." 

 

Hana's tears roll down her cheeks as she continues, "Everywhere I go, everything I do, I see you. I hear your voice like you were there. I dream of you night after night and when I wake up, I cry because the reality was harsh: you weren't by my side. I figured that if I avoided you, if I didn't see you, my thoughts of you would lessen but it only made me miss you more. When sleep didn't come to me, I find myself going on walks which end up with me outside your apartment building." 

 

She watches tears pour down Yves's face, the brunette sobbing as she listens to Hana. Hana smiles through her tears, wiping the tears away from Yves's face with her thumbs. 

 

"I never believed that I could love anyone until you came along, Yves. I've never cried or hurt for anyone as much as I did when you were out of my life. I need you, Yves Ha Sooyoung. I want you in my life, permanently and through every life that I live because there will never be another you," Hana swears it, releasing one hand to cross her heart as she says it. She wants Yves to know that she means every word that has left .

 

She turns solemn however as she breathes out her next words, "But if you decide you want to leave me, I'll let you. Because even if I am not the one for you, I'll never stop loving you, princess. I won't be your knight in shining armour but, I will be the scary monster that will protect you in the dark." 

 

"I love you, Ha Sooyoung," Hana declares firmly. "Please give me another chance to love you." 

 

Sooyoung is too emotional to form proper sentences, feeling her brain and her heart turn to mush from Hana's declaration. So, instead, she shows what she feels by wrapping her arms around Hana's neck and drawing her close. Tilting her head, she presses her lips to Hana's. The kiss is sweet and soft. It makes Yves sigh, when she feels Hana kissing her back, moving slowly like she was savoring every bit of the kiss.

 

Hana pulls away when air becomes a problem. She rests her forehead against Yves's, enjoying the warmth Yves radiates because it reminds Hana that this moment is real; Yves is real. 

 

"Is that a yes?" Hana asks breathlessly, still recovering from the kiss. 

 

Yves leans down, murmuring, "It has, and will always be a yes," against Hana's lips, bridging the distance to plant another short but firm kiss on Hana's lips. Breaking the kiss, she finds comfort in the crook of Hana's neck, burying her face against it. She inhales deeply, letting out a sigh of content when the familiar scent of fresh flowers and fabric softener fills her nose. Yves hums in delight when she feels arms circling her midrift, and pulling her deeper into the embrace, leaving no gaps.

 

When the sun reflects through the windows upon them, like a hidden blessing from the heavens, Yves gains confidence. With Hana by her side, she's ready to start new. 

 

Busan which used to be her home, ceased to be after her father left and the accident occurred. She moved to Seoul, believing that she would find a new home, but it wasn't. 

 

But, now, with her arms around Hana and Hana's around her, she knows she's finally found it. 

 

Home. 

 

Her home.

 

Their home. 

 

 

 

The End 

.

 

..

 

...

 

....

 

....

 

Kidding! Next chapter will be the last, the epilogue. Thank you to all the readers and subscribers of New who has stuck with this story from the beginning and till the end. Thank you for your patience! I am grateful that you have stayed with this author who updates at will because I am busy with my school life. I am not sure when the epilogue will come out but I hope you can be patient! School has me in a chokehold :) I hope you loved this story and please overlook my mistakes. I don't proof read and my mind is all over the place when I write so, I hope you don't mind me, hehe. That's it from me for now. Until next time then, bye!! From, author, H.