Chapter 17

New

Helo, I'm back to writing :) Thank you for waiting hehe. Short recap, Hana brings Yves to visit her childhood friend/ex-crush, Yeji. When Yeji sees Yves, she accuses Yves of being at the scene of her accident. Let's start, shall we? P.S Please forgive any mistakes made :)


 

Hana blinks in surprise, her eyes shooting between her girlfriend and Yeji. Unaware to Hana, Yves begins to shake out of fear, her mind flashes with images of the past that she had tried hard to forget; one that has returned to haunt her now. Hana gulps and breaks out into a short laugh, dismissing the topic entirely. 

"Come on, Yeji! Don't joke around like that." 

Yeji does not pay Hana's words any heed as her eyes are trained upon a fearful Yves. Yves averts her eyes away from Yeji's, staring at the ground, wishing for it to swallow her whole. 

"You remember, don't you?" Yeji questions sharply. "There is no way you would - could forget, not when that night haunts me every single goddamned time I shut my eyes!?!" 

Hana snaps her head to the side to look at Yves who is at a loss of words; Hana denies it, she convinces herself.

It can't be....No, it can't. She...

"That's impossible, Yeji. It was dark and you were hurt badly. You couldn't possibly remember that night right," Hana tries to reason with Yeji. "It's cold out. I'll have the nurse bring you inside. I'll come back another day." 

Hana waves the nurse over, the older woman understands immediately as Hana grabs Yves by the wrist and drags her away from Yeji without another word. Yves dares herself to look behind; the rainbow haired girl's orbs meet Yves's midway - calculative, knowing and it scares Yves whose eyes darts back to the ground as her feet moves to match Hana's speed. 

As they reach the front entrance, the driver is ready to greet them; he opens the back door and holds the door for Hana and Yves who slides in one after another. The door closes with a soft thud, the driver circles around front of the door and hops into the driver's seat. 

"Let's go." 

At Hana's orders, the driver departs, pulling out of the entryway and off the property. In the car, it was dead silent; both of the girls are deep in thought - Hana contemplating Yeji's words and Yves falling in and out of her past memories. 

"Is it true?" Hana finally gets the courage to ask, breaking the suffocating silence between them. 

Yves tries to find the right answer to Hana's question, opening and closing , struggling to get the answer off the tip of her tongue. tightens with heaviness, remembering the past that she wishes so much to hide, but alas everything she's done has finally come back to hound her. 

"I...It is," Yves forces out the words with difficulty. 

She watches Hana's eyes harden at her admittance as she is quick to explain her side. "Hana, please, you have to trust me. I didn't mean to leave without helping, I wanted to help but I was young and scared. One of my friends had caused the accident and they pulled me away and there was nothing I could do; I felt so guilty after, I tried..." Yves rambles on. 

"Stop the car." 

The driver pulls over by the side of the road at Hana's command. Hana grits her teeth, turning her head towards Yves with hurt and anger filling her body. 

"You. Were. There. You were there when Yeji got into that accident!! And neither of you bothered to call an ambulance?? Did it slip your ing minds?! She nearly lost her life that day!! The doctor said that she would be crippled for the rest of her life. Her life is over because of what you and your friends did! Do you understand?!" 

Hana extends her arms, grabbing Yves by the shoulders, "How could you live with yourselves? HOW!?!" 

"Hana, please listen..." Yves cries. 

"I can't look at you right now." 

Yves goes silent after hearing Hana's words. She feels Hana's grip on her shoulders slack and slowly recede, falling limp to the leather seat. Yves wishes Hana would just continue to hold on, at least then, it wouldn't feel like Hana was letting go. She didn't want Hana to let go, there had to still be a relationship. Them. Us. 

Yves looks over to see Hana in a daze, almost out of it and she wishes nothing more than to disappear; if she had made the right decision years ago, she wouldn't have ruined Hana's best friend's life and they wouldn't be in this position. 

After what seemed like an eternity, Hana finally opens . 

"Get out." 

"Hana," Yves pleads desperately, grabbing hold of Hana's sleeve, the last attempt of trying to salvage whatever was left of them. 

Unable to remain in the same space as Yves, Hana growls. "Fine, I'll get out then." 

With that, she opens the door aggressively, pulling her arm away from Yves roughly as she hops out of the car. 

"Have another driver sent!" She directs her words towards the driver. 

She slams the door behind her, not allowing Yves to speak as she sends the driver a signal to take Yves away. The drives does as he's asked to. Yves tries to open the door but finds it locked. She knocks on the window, trying to get Hana's attention but the said girl avoids making eye contact with Yves, ignoring Yves's cries for her. 

The driver pulls off the side of the street back onto the main route. Yves's eyes widen in surprise as she turns her head to the driver's seat. 

"Please open the door, Mr Kim!" 

"Forgive me, Miss but it would be best if I don't. I have my orders and I don't intend to break it."

Yves snaps her head to look out the back window as she watches the distance between Hana and her widens, much like their relationship; Hana disappears from her sight. She slumps helplessly against the car seat, letting the dam of tears burst open - weeping and covering to muffle her screams. 

 

----------

 

Once Hana loses sight of the vehicle, she slumps helplessly against the rails along the road. Her legs go weak from shock as her hands grip onto the railings for support. Finding out that Yves’s friend caused the car accident that landed her best friend in a coma and that Yves was there but didn’t attempt to help  was detrimental to Hana.

Was fate taunting her?

Was it laughing at her?

Hana yells out towards the forest, slamming her palms against the railings in frustrations. Hana is aware she deserves this. She did. Hana had a part in Yeji’s accident too after all; the only reason Yeji got into that accident was because of her. 

 

Flashback

"Hana!!!!" 

The girl whips her head around to see a brunette barreling towards her at full speed. The brunette crashes into Hana, knocking the air out of her lungs when Hana catches the brunette in her embrace. The brunette peaks up from Hana's chest, beaming at her. 

"Hello, Yeji. What has you so excited?" Hana asks with a small smile. 

"Well...." Yeji trails off when she sees the rest of Hana's friends behind them. They clear their throats, yelling out various reasons and bolting away from them at lightning speed. 

"They're gone now, Yeddong. You wanna finish your sentence?"

"I was wondering if we could take a trip to Busan since it's already Friday and we have the weekend off. Let's go blow some steam off, Hana," Yeji whines, swinging Hana's arm back and forth. 

"I..." Hana is reluctant to go but she could never reject Yeji especially when she is whining. "Okay, I'll ask my parents and let the staff know."

Yeji cheers happily as Hana couldn't help but crack a smile, matching Yeji's sunshine smile. She didn’t know what Yeji had planned for her and went along without questioning. She'll find out that was the very mistake she had made soon. 

The two pack for a weekend trip after receiving an 'okay' from both their parents; it wasn't like it took much asking on Hana's part. Hana’s driver drives them to Busan, the two stopping at rest stops to eat and rest before continuing their journey. Once they arrive, they head to the beach after leaving one of her family's guards in charge of checking in. Yeji drags Hana towards the water, squealing happily as cold salt water wash up towards their feet, splashing them with droplets of salty water. Hana laughs and tries her best to avoid the water but Yeji's solid grip prevents her from escaping. 

Yeji uses her free hand to splash water onto Hana who gasps at the sudden water surprise. Hana decides to return the favour and kicks up a wave of water, soaking Yeji who screams. Hana sticks her tongue out as they begin a full-on water splashing competition which ends with them being soaked head to toe. They decide to head out of the sea and sit under a shady tree, drying off their wet clothes. They chat aimlessly, ridiculous topics ranging from those off the beach to creating random scenarios and laughing from how dumb it all sounded. 

Night fell soon enough as the two make their way to the nearest night market. While they were walking, Yeji suddenly stops midway causing Hana to halt as well. She wonders what's wrong with Yeji. 

"Yeddong? Are you okay? Are you tired? We can head back to the hotel now. I'll call the driver," Hana says, reaching into her pocket to grab her phone.

Hana is about to press the call button when she feels Yeji holding her wrist, stopping her from calling. She looks towards Yeji with confusion.

"Ye..." 

"I like you!" 

Hana breaks out into a smile. "I like you too, Yeji. Why wouldn't I like you? We're friends." 

She feels the grip around her wrist tightening. 

"I don't mean as friends, Hana. I meant more than friends." 

Hana freezes from shock as Yeji looks at her with dewy eyes. Hana gulps nervously as she gently takes hold of Yeji's hand and pries it off her wrist.

"I...I don't see you that way, Yeji. I only treat you as a friend. Isn't that enough?"

Yeji takes a step forward, "Impossible! I was sure you would feel the same. If it's because of what others would think, you don't have to care. I don't. Hana," she tries to get Hana to look at her but Hana just couldn't. 

Yeji retreats back, taking a shaky breath of air and breathes, "So, all this time, it was only me. My own delusion." 

"Ye--" Hana tries to talk but Yeji cuts her off swiftly, "Don't!" 

Yeji’s eyes waters as she turns and runs before Hana could say another word. Hana tries to run after her but Yeji is gone. She curses. She continues to search for Yeji despite the throng of people. Just then, her phone rings, and she sees Yeji’s number.

She answers hurriedly, “Yeddong, where are you? I’ve been searching for you." 

But the voice that replies certainly wasn’t Yeji.

“Miss, I’m sorry but I am not your friend. Your friend got into a car accident and is currently in the operating theatre. Your number was at the top of her call list so I assumed you would be the person to call.”

Hana suddenly couldn’t breathe, feeling like someone had socked her in the abdomen as she chokes out, "Which hospital?" 

Once she receives her reply, she hangs up and catches a cab. She tells the driver to double his speed to the hospital. Once she arrives, she throws two 50 000 won bills and throws open the door, running through the glass sliding doors of the emergency section and heads to the nurse station and asks for the recent accident patient.

"And you are?" the nurse questions.

"I'm her friend. Someone called me earlier about the accident," Hana answers with frustration shining through her words.

The nurse nods, typing on the keyboard, her eyes on the monitor in front of her, "Ah, yes, she’s still in the operating theatre on the third floor."

Hana doesn't say much as she rushes up to the operating floor and dashes down the hallway, ignoring the fact that she resembles an escaped mental patient. Once in front of the operating theatre, she notices the red operating light shining bright. Her legs fail her at that very moment, going jelly as she slumps onto the floor.  Hot tears roll down her cheeks, dripping onto the floor - tick tap tick tap. She bursts into tears, bawling as she blames herself. This was all her fault. If she could take it all back, she would.

If she had just said yes to Yeji's confession, Yeji wouldn’t have gotten into an accident. She wasn't honest with Yeji, she was afraid because she didn't know what she felt. She liked Yeji, she really does but was it romantic or sisterly? Hana didn't want to give hope to Yeji without being sure of her own feelings, that's why she rejected Yeji. She didn't know this would happen, she caused this. Hana lets out heart wrenching sobs, hugging her knees close to her chest as she cries on the cold hospital floor. 

After what seemed like an eternity, the automatic sliding doors finally slid open revealing doctors in scrubs. She pushes herself off from the floor, making her way towards the doctor.

"Are you the patient's guardian?" 

 Hana nods, "How is she?"

The doctor looks solemn and Hana feels her heart drop, that certainly meant something was wrong.

"Her spine was damaged badly and we couldn't do anything to salvage the nerve. I'm afraid the patient would be crippled from bottom down. I'm very sorry." 

 Hana couldn’t believe her ears. Yeji was a dancer and for her to not be able to dance would kill her.

Hana desperately asks, "Can't you do anything more?  Please, I'm begging you, doctor! Yeji couldn’t lose her ability to walk, she...she's a dancer. It'll kill her, please." 

 The doctor looks down sadly, shaking his head, "I've done the best I could. I'm very sorry, Miss." He then walks away. 

Hana falls to the ground, heaving heavily, clutching at her chest. She finds the air thinning around her and she can't breathe. It can't be....She can't. Hana forces herself to get up, she walks into the private ward where Yeji was. She nearly faints at the sight of Yeji's condition. Her head was bandaged thickly, so was her right arm and Hana didn't even want to think about what was under the blanket. Hana falls onto her knees by Yeji's bedside, she apologizes over and over and over again, praying for a miracle. 

Hana was out of it for a few hours as she sits on the chair by Yeji's bedside. She picks up her phone to call Yeji's brother, Hyunjin. He answers the phone as Hana struggles to tell him about Yeji. When she does however relay the message, Hyunjin immediately says that he was on his way and to send him all the details, ending the call right after. Hana shakily types out the address and name of the hospital along with the ward's number. She drops her phone onto the side table and drops her face into her hands, praying for God to answer her prayers. 

 

------

 

When Yeji wakes up a couple days later, Hana freaks out and immediately asks, "Yeji, it's me. Do you remember me?"

"Hana. Where am I?"

Hana's eyes fall to the floor, "The hospital. You were in an accident, remember?”

Yeji then tries to move her legs but freezes when she couldn't move them, neither could she feel anything.

Her eyes move to meet Hana's. "Why can’t I feel my legs?" 

Hana takes a deep breath and says, "Yeji, listen to me. Don't get agitated, alright? The accident. It was really bad and because of that, the doctor says your spinal nerves were damage and your bottom half is paralyzed." 

Yeji shakes her head. "Impossible. No. You’re lying. TELL ME YOU'RE LYING!!!" 

Hana looks away guiltily. Yeji clenches her fists and hits her legs, yelling, "No! NO!" 

Hana takes Yeji’s fists, preventing her from hurting herself, "Please don't hit herself." 

Yeji hits Hana instead and Hana allows her to as she cries out – painfully and heartbreaking. Yeji’s family had heard of the accident but only her brother comes but then again, Hana wasn't surprised. Yeji’s brother, Hyunjin walks in and runs to his sister's bedside. Yeji looks at Hyunjin with tears b in her eyes. Hyunjin wraps his arms around his sister and holds her tight as she breaks down once again. Hana takes the opportunity to leave them be as she walks out of the ward and plops herself on one of the benches. 

The guilt still runs over Hana’s head like a tanker and it feels awfully heavy. She recalls when the police arrived, informing them that the perps had been caught and will be dealt with. Hana didn't go to meet them even when she was given the chance to because she would murder the people who caused it if she went. So, she sent someone from her family’s law department to deal with them instead. According to the lawyer, the perps were a bunch of idiots who were drunk driving and there was a witness who handed them in, so they were sentenced to a juvenile center since they were minors and 4500 hours of community service.

To be honest, Hana didn’t think it was enough, but the state law wasn’t going to change. She made sure the lawyer got them the maximum sentence and she had him keep an eye on their families. Nobody was allowed to save them, she wanted them to suffer heavily for all the pain they've caused Yeji. She leans her head back against the wall and wishes it was all a bad dream. She wants it to be a nightmare that she'll wake up from and everything would be fine but no matter how many times she tries to wake up, she couldn't. 

Hyunjin slides open the door of the ward. Yeji had tire herself out and fell asleep so he decides to check on the other younger girl. He sees Hana sitting on the bench, her head resting on the wall. He feels bad for the poor girl. Despite asking her to sleep, the younger girl wouldn't rest, not even for a little. Hyunjin is aware that the girl feels guilty for his younger sister's accident but it wasn't her fault. Hyunjin did try to blame Hana at first; if Hana had taken better care of his sister, she wouldn't lying in that hospital bed but, he could see how affected Hana was and knows it was as hard on her as it was on him. 

He pats the younger girl's shoulder. Hana opens her eyes and sits up straight when she sees Hyunjin. 

"It's not your fault, Hana," Hyunjin starts as he occupies the seat beside Hana. "Those bastards were at fault. She doesn't blame you, she's just in shock and in a lot of pain. I don't blame you either. I know how much you care for her, Hana. I know if you could, you would willingly sacrifice your ability to walk for her." 

"It's my fault Yeji ran off, oppa." 

"Nobody could predict the accident, Hana. Stop blaming yourself, Hana. I can see the guilt eating you up and soon, it'll swallow you whole if you don't stop." 

Hana sighs deeply. 

"I'm bringing Yeji back to Seoul," Hyunjin lets Hana know. "Yeji says she doesnt want to return home and to find her another place to recuperate. As much as I am against that idea, it's what she wants." 

Hana wants to question why but she knows better. It was Yeji's choice and her family's decision to make. 

 

---------

 

After a couple of weeks, they did find a place in a good recuperation home near the ocean. It had a constant supply of fresh air and amazing scenery, filled with multiple activities to do but Yeji seems down. Hana takes note of it and kneels beside Yeji's wheelchair. 

"You could always come stay with me instead. I'll take great care of you, Yeddong. I promise," Hana says sincerely, the guilt in her heart never fades despite Yeji and Hyunjin's reassurance. 

Yeji shakes her head in response. 

"I want to be alone for now. This place seems cool." 

Hana nods knowing not to push any boundaries for now. Whatever Yeji wants, Yeji gets and that was a promise Hana would never break. Hana makes due to her promise, she visited Yeji every month, bringing along food and gifts. She never wanted Yeji to feel lonely and as long as she was still breathing, she would never forget about Yeji. 

End

 

"Why Yves? Why?" Hana questions with tears rolling down her cheeks.