Chapter 20

New

Hello, it's H here. I apologize once more for the long wait. I am studying right now so it's hard to update with all the workload. I try to slip in when I can. Thank you for all the support and love for this story. I hope you enjoy this long chapter because I'm not sure when I'll be back :") Thank you very much. P.S. Please forgive any mistake because I do not proofread and ignore the time stamps. Enjoy!

 


 

road, sunset, sun, twilight, light, landscape, clouds, highway | Pikist

 

Mr Han chauffeurs Hana home to the manor; he remains silent for the journey home, sensing Hana’s gloomy mood and does not wish to add to it. As soon as he stops at the front of the manor’s portico, he unbuckles his safety belt and hops out of the driver’s seat, rounding the back of the car and opens the door for her. 

 

“Thank you, Mr Han,” Hana expresses with a blank face and walks into the house. 

 

She is greeted by the staff of the house who are surprised to see Hana home at this hour. She is always out with her friends and never returns so early, often nearing eight or ten at night before arriving home. The damp state she was in from standing under the rain made her look more worn out than usual. 

 

“Young miss, are you alright?” Ms Yong, the head of the staff questions worriedly.

 

“Fine. I’m just tired today. You can go about doing your work, Ms Yong.” 

 

Hana’s foot is on the bottom step when she hears Ms Yong’s voice again: 

 

“Young Miss, Chairman Kang is home.”

 

Hana stops midway and whips her head around with her hand gripping onto the bannister, “And?” Hana’s answer is nonchalant and cold as she continues up the stairs; Ms Yong exhales, letting go of the breath she held in anticipation of Hana’s reaction. 

 

Ms Yong finds the similarities between the Hana now and the Hana from years ago when her childhood best friend got into an accident and realizes that she has returned to the same grief stricken state. Once again, Hana has lost the bright shine in her eyes, the air of confidence that she carries and the slump in her shoulders has become more apparent from behind.

 

It is all too familiar to Ms Yong. She sighs with a shake of her head, wondering when Hana would recover from whatever it is that was causing her to be in pain. If there is someone to help Hana, Ms Yong prays they arrive faster. 

 

--- 

 

Hana walks into her room, depositing her bag onto the sofa and heads straight for the en-suite bath. She sheds the damp uniform and discards it into the laundry basket, pulling open the glass door into the showers and hops in. 

 

As water rains onto her from above, she weakly leans forward and rests her forehead against the wall, closing her eyes as thoughts of her ex invade her mind. She knows avoiding Yves would only be a temporary solution; she will have to see her ex eventually. After their last interaction, Hana is concerned; she fears that she would soften and give in to the idea of forgiving Yves. 

 

At the steps of the school that day, with Yves pleading, Hana knew it was a matter of seconds before her cold facade cracked so she ran like the coward she is. She feigned anger, and brushed Yves off, but the truth was no amount of wrong could stop Hana from loving Yves. She has never cried as much as she had for a girl, nor underwent such torment from the idea of being separated until she met Yves. 

 

Her mind shifts over to her best friend whose permanent residence is a nursing home. 

 

Yeji.

 

God, Yeji.  She can’t even visit Yeji for fear that Yeji may react violently towards her. She dated someone whose past friends were the cause of her accident, then brought her to meet Yeji. If Yeji does not hold a grudge against her, Hana would feel guiltier than she already was. 

 

She groans, feeling dizzy from the extensive thoughts and the numerous ‘what ifs’ intruding her mind. Noting the way her fingers begin pruning, Hana knows it’s time to hop out of the shower. She finishes her routine hurriedly and shuts off the shower tap. Grabbing a towel, she wounds it around her body and goes to dry her hair. 

 

Whilst drying her hair, she catches a glimpse of herself in the mirror and finds herself resembling a Tim Burton character, with her sunken eyes and dark eye bags, she would fit just right. She finishes drying her hair and walks into the wardrobe next door, picking something casual to clothe herself with before walking back into her room. 

 

Hana halts midstep when she finds an unexpected guest standing at the center of her room.

 

 “Father,” Hana greets formally. 

 

The older man turns around at the sound of Hana’s greetings.

 

 “Not in school?” her father questions. 

 

Hana resists the urge to sneer; her father is still as unconcerned for her wellbeing as usual, it’s always education or achievements before the health of his child. 

 

How fatherly.

 

“School is over. Did you need something?” Hana asks, walking past her father and towards her desk. She grabs her Burberry backpack from the sofa and s it, slipping her macbook and her books out of the bag onto the table.

 

 “Are you alright?” Her father’s question cuts through Hana’s ears as her hands stop on the zipper of her bag. 

 

That was unexpected. Not to mention out of character for the stoic Chairman. 

 

“Have I done something to warrant that kind of concern?” Hana asks dryly, playing her father’s question off as she lays her bag by the side of the desk. 

 

“I’ve been hearing some things, Hana. Your mother and I may be out of the country most of the time but we still keep tabs on you.” 

 

“Oh,” Hana deadpans. 

 

“Hana—” 

 

“I’m fine,” Hana cuts her father off. “There is nothing for you to be worried about. Glad you’re home, father. I would love to chat more but I have homework to get to.” 

 

Hana plops herself onto the leather seat and switches on the iMac. Her eyes shift between the monitor in front of her and her father, and from the way the Chairman’s mouth opens and closes, she senses that he has more to say but chooses not to. 

 

“Okay, I’ll leave you to it then.” She hears her father say finally before retreating out of the room. 

 

The second she hears the door closes with a click, Hana’s eyes drift from the iMac screen towards the door, tracing the path that her father took to leave and lets out a long sigh: why was he suddenly being so concerned for her when he never cared in the first place? 

 

She shakes her head and continues her school work in hopes of drowning her pulsing thoughts. She was going through a hard time these days with problems forming one after the other, losing any will to solve them. 

 

---

 

On the steps of the grandeur stairwell, Kang MinHyuk sighs after his interaction with his only daughter. His daughter has always been so cold to him and he does not know how to melt the ice encasing her heart. Despite Hana’s best efforts to hide her problems, he could still tell that she was suffering but from what, he does not know.  

 

He makes the decision to call someone he knew Hana would talk to. Swiping through his contacts, he taps the contact number, hearing the dial. The call goes through after three rings. 

 

“Sorry, I know you are busy but I think Hana is in trouble and she will only talk to you."

 

"Okay, I will let the staff know to expect you at the manor."

 

"Thank you."

 

The call ends as he takes one last fleeting glance at his daughter's bedroom door, sighing heavily. He feels bad for not being able to be his daughter's confidant but the least he could do was stay out of her way. 

 

---

 

Another long day passes by in Hana’s life with Yves missing from it. A small part of Hana wishes she could see Yves, even from afar, because despite everything, she cannot lie and say she does not miss the brunette. Lord knows, she does, she misses Yves so bad. 

 

Events from two nights ago come to mind. Unable to fall asleep, Hana decided to take a walk, her feet taking her far with no set destination and when she came to, she realized that she stood on the sidewalk leading to Yves's penthouse. 

 

A foolish question flashed through her mind at that point: could she see Yves from where she stood? Of course not but Hana wished she could, that would at least quell the emptiness in her heart. She turns away, leaving the premise without another word or thought in her mind. 

 

Hana may leave any mention of the brunette out of her lips, but she is unable to deny the hollow feeling in her chest with the brunette now out of her life. She has not known the brunette for long yet, Hana finds it hard to get the brunette out of her system. Maybe she’ll never be able to, or, maybe someday, she will. 

 

But at least for now, Hana knows it’s impossible; she has fallen too deep to climb out. 

 

Arriving home breaks Hana's chain of thoughts; a second later, she hears the door opening from her side, compliments of Mr Han. She loops her finger through the hook of her bag and tugs it with her, sliding out of the car with her bag in hand. Thanking him with a polite tone, she continues her walk into the mansion. 

 

Shedding her blazer, she hands it along with her bag over to a maid who accepts them into her hands and disappears somewhere into the mansion. Ms Yong surfaces from the shadows and tails Hana from behind with Hana noting her presence with a short glance. 

 

“Young Miss, Chairman Kang sends his apologies. He has to attend a conference in Italy so he left earlier this afternoon,” Ms Yong informs Hana midwalk.

 

Hana is unreactive towards the news as she continues walking towards the dining room, feeling somewhat hungry after school. 

 

“Chairman Kang has informed us to prepare healthier options for your meals. He has also invited someone special to prepare your dinner for the night.” 

 

Hana hums, turning the corner and entering the beautifully designed dining room. She is surprised by the sight of an older woman directing the maids on the placement of the dishes, chiding them when they made a mistake and moving to correct it herself. The woman finally takes note of Hana’s presence by the archway and a smile blooms from her cherry red lips. 

 

“Aunty Joohyun?” Hana greets with disbelief written in her tone, still unable to comprehend that her aunt is in Seoul. 

 

The said woman circles the table and walks over to Hana, spreading her arms wide to the sides, gesturing for Hana to come closer. Hana jogs over to the older woman and buries herself in her aunt’s arms. Instant relief spreads through Hana’s body as the older woman rubs circles around Hana’s back.

 

“You’ve grown a lot since the last time I saw you, little one.” 

 

“You’ve been gone for 6 years.” Hana’s voice comes out muffled because her face is pressed against Joohyun’s shoulder. Hana finally pulls away as Joohyun’s eyes scan Hana.

 

“Well, you’ve definitely had a growth spurt, little one,” Joohyun remarks, cracking a smile when Hana straightens her back, towering over the shorter woman. The older woman lets out a sharp exclaim, slapping her hands together, like she forgot something.

 

“Right, you must be hungry! Come, I made all your favorite dishes!” Joohyun drags Hana by the arm and sits her down before occupying the seat beside Hana. Picking up her pair of chopsticks, Joohyun picks a few dishes, adding it into Hana’s bowl and urges Hana to eat up. Hana smiles, thanking her aunt as she begins to eat. 

 

Chomping on her food, Hana peers up to see Joohyun looking at her with a proud smile on her face. 

 

“Good?” Joohyun opens the conversation. 

 

Hana nods, and replies, “It’s good.” 

 

Joohyun waves, dismissing all the maids to give them some privacy. 

 

“Why are you here, Aunt Joohyun? Weren’t you in LA with aunt bear?” Hana asks once the maids leave the room.

 

Joohyun sighs, her smile fading to a concerned expression. “Well, if you must know, your father sent me a distress call. He mentioned you were in trouble which worried me. Thankfully, I was in Japan when your father called me so I came as soon as I could.” 

 

Hana releases a small, “oh” as she goes on to pick at her food. Joohyun reaches her hand out to stop Hana from stabbing the rice. 

 

“Your father sounded worried over the phone, so I want you to be honest with me. Kang Hana,” Hana stills at the usage of her full name. “—Did something happen?” 

 

Hana puts her utensils down and says, “It’s nothing,” trying to convince her aunt. She refuses to admit that there is an anomaly in her life - one that is causing her to second guess all of her decisions and act out of character. 

 

No problem at all.  

 

“Now, that’s a lie, little one. I may have been gone for six years but you forget that I know you better than you know yourself. Do you not trust me anymore?” Joohyun asks gently. 

 

Hana swallows her saliva nervously; water pricks her eyes, blurring her vision and without warning, tears roll down her cheeks and she breaks out sobbing. Joohyun twists her body to the side and pulls Hana close, her hair as Hana cries her heart out. Weeks of heartache and problems unfold the instant her aunt asks, prompting her violent reaction. Joohyun holds Hana tightly in her arms, rocking her gently and shushing her.

 

Hana speaks in between her sobs, “I messed up, aunty,” *sobs* “I messed up so badly and now, I’m in pain and I don’t know what to do.” 

 

Joohyun is confused about Hana’s situation but doesn’t ask anything for now. She’s never seen Hana so upset and it breaks her heart to see her niece this way. 

 

 “It’s okay, little one. I’m here. I’m with you.” 

 

Hana’s cries gradually lessen as Joohyun pulls away, grabbing the napkin and dabbing the excess tears from Hana’s face. She then hands Hana a cup of water. 

 

“Hana. I don’t know what happened but I want you to know that I’m here to help you, alright? You’re never alone,” Joohyun soothes Hana, running her hand through Hana’s hair, pushing her hair away from her face. 

 

Hana begins to tell Joohyun about Yves and everything that happened as Joohyun listens, opening and closing at times but never interrupting. Once Hana is done, she scouts Joohyun’s face for a reaction but finds none. 

 

“You’ve been through a lot, little one. It’s something someone as young as you shouldn’t have to experience. You’ve done so well holding up until now,” Joohyun finally speaks, holding Hana’s hands in her own. “I know I can’t speak for her but how do you feel, Hana?”

 

 “I don’t know. I’m confused,” Hana mumbles, sniffling a little with snot running down her nose, a stark difference from her usual expensive and heiress like demeanor.  

 

 Joohyun shoots Hana a small smile, finding Hana as adorable as she was years ago. 

 

“Listen to me very carefully, okay?" Joohyun captures Hana's attention as Hana straightens her back, attentive to her aunt's next words, "I cannot help to justify what she’s done because I’ve only heard your side of the story. And it would be biased of me considering I am your aunt. I can tell you’re very hurt by this incident, Hana, frankly I've never seen you this way before. But that's alright, that means you've grown and maybe, if you’re up for it, you can listen to her side of the story, Hana. Even if you don’t like her reasons, even if they may seem like mere excuses to you, at least you’ve tried to hear her out.Try talking to your childhood best friend as well because right now, avoiding is certainly not the best thing to do, Hana. You’re only hurting yourself with the uncertainty and it is not healthy." 

 

“Know that whatever you decide, I’m with you and I’m never far away. One call, Hana and I’ll end any meeting or fly across the globe to come to you, my precious little niece.” 

 

Joohyun then pulls Hana into a tight hug as Hana wraps her arms around her favorite aunt’s shoulders.

 

 “Thank you, Aunty Joohyun. I’ll think about it and make my own decision soon.”

 

 “That’s the little niece that I know,” Joohyun says, "A bit of a crybaby and definitely ruined my Prada blouse with snot but I still love you." Hana laughs at the older woman’s words, leaning back with a playful glare at her aunt who merely chuckles. Her favourite aunt would never fail to amuse her. 

 

They continue their dinner, lightening the conversations by changing the topic. All the while, the servants and Ms Yong watch from behind the archway. They realise how much lighter Hana appears to be thanks to Joohyun, thanking the heavens for bringing the older woman at the most opportune timing. If not for Joohyun, they were not sure how long they could stand to watch their young miss unhappy. 

 

---

 

Unfortunately for Hana, Joohyun has to leave the next day. She is returning to Japan to continue the meeting she postponed and promises Hana that she would come back with her wife to visit Hana soon. She wishes Hana good luck with another tight hug and reminds Hana to give her a call if something comes up. Hana nods and bids her aunt farewell and safe travels as Hana watches her aunt disappear through the glass doors into the departure hall at Incheon International. 

 

She sighs, feeling a small weight lift from her shoulders thanks to her aunt’s presence. She makes a decision and prays to god that it is the right one.

 

---

 

After seeing her aunt off at the airport, she informs Mr Han that they are heading to the recuperation hospital. But before heading over, she has Mr Han stop by a few outlets to pick up Yeji’s favourite foods first. Several paper bags later, they are en-route to the recuperation hospital. In the back seat, Hana silently rehearses the words she wishes to say to Yeji. 

 

As she plays out the scenarios in her mind, she loses track of time until Mr Han calls out to her.  

 

“Young Miss, we are here.” 

 

Her head snaps up and finds that they are outside the entrance into the recuperation hospital. Mr Han hops out of the driver’s seat to open the door for her as she collects the paper bags in her hands and slides out of the car. She walks through the reception area and sees the director in charge of the hospital. 

 

The director catches a glimpse of Hana and immediately approaches her. 

 

"What a surprise, Miss Kang!" the director greets cheerfully. 

 

"Director Song.” Song Hyekyung is the head of the recuperation hospital where Yeji stays at, an old acquintance of her mother's. "I told you to call me Hana. Don't be so formal with me.”

Director Song smiles and says, “Habit. Here to see Yeji?" 

 

Hana nods with a gentle smile, holding up the paper bags of food. "Yeah, and to sneak in some food for her.” 

 

The director laughs, always amused by the young heiress’s way of acting. 

 

"I also took the liberty of contracting caterers. During lunch, you may lead the patients with you to the backyard. Don't worry, everything is organic," Hana jests. 

 

"You didn't have to do that. It's too generous," Director Song remarks.

 

"You've taken great care of Yeji over the last few years. You and the hospital staff deserve it," Hana counters. 

 

"Then, I will accept your generosity with open arms.”

 

Hana grins and says, “Please do.” 

 

Director Song then excuses herself to do rounds as Hana continues her path to Yeji’s room. As she stands outside of Yeji’s room, Hana tries her hardest to calm her erratic heart. She is nervous, unable to predict Yeji’s reaction to her presence but she is prepared for any attacks that may come her way. 

 

Her hand grips onto the metal handle on the door and slides the door open. Hana walks into the room, and finds Yeji watching TV. The girl is so absorbed in whatever she is watching that she does not notice Hana walking into the room. 

 

“Hey,” Hana calls out softly. 

 

Yeji turns her head and sees Hana standing awkwardly by the door. Hana holds the paper bags with food, shaking it slightly: 

 

“I brought you lunch.” 

 

Yeji smiles, grabbing the remote and lowers the volume of the TV. 

 

“I was beginning to think you forgot about me.” 

 

“Sorry, I’ve been a little busy,” Hana lies as she sets the food onto the table. 

 

Yeji hums, not believing a word Hana says but does not call her out for it. Hana brings the table closer to Yeji and lays out the food for her, setting the paper bags aside. She hands Yeji her utensils and sits on the chair by Yeji’s bed. 

 

“I haven’t had all of these in so long,” Yeji remarks happily as she begins to eat. 

 

"You are the only person I've seen eat this so well,” Hana jokes. 

 

Yeji glares playfully at Hana, deliberately stuffing more food into which elicits a laugh out of Hana. 

 

"Eat slowly. Nobody is chasing you," Hana chides as she picks up a tissue to clean the food crumbs off Yeji’s mouth. 

 

Yeji looks at Hana, asking, “Aren’t you going to eat? Or are you full from watching me?” 

 

Hana shakes her head, “I’m not hungry. You can go ahead.” 

 

Yeji puts her chopsticks down and finishes the food in . Hana worries as she asks: 

 

“Is something wrong, Yeji?” 

 

“I don’t blame you.” Hana is surprised by Yeji’s sudden words. She does not get to ask when Yeji continues, “After you left that day, I was angry for a while, I won’t lie. I felt betrayed because I thought how could you date one of the people who caused my accident. Then, I gave it another thought, how would you have known. It made me feel dumb because I was angry at you for nothing. When you didn’t show up the week after, I knew that I had given you probable cause to avoid me.” 

 

“Yeji, I…” 

 

“It’s fine, Hana.” 

 

“But it’s not.” 

 

Yeji’s eyes shift over to Hana who is looking at her with glassy eyes and a saddened expression. 

 

“It’s not fine and you know it. If I didn’t reject you all those years ago, you would have been fine. If I had just run after you. I could have prevented all of this. I destroyed your life, Yeji!” Hana’s emotions are running high, unintentionally raising her voice. She heaves heavily, her voice drops a few octaves.

 

“Why don’t you hate me? No matter what I do, it will never measure up to what you’ve lost because of me. I would rather you scream, hit me, anything other than be nice, Yeji. Even now, I have wronged you by falling in love with the girl involved with your accident. What's worst is I can't forget her, Yeji, and every time I do think of her, I am reminded of you and it kills me. I've watched you struggle every day since the accident, giving up your biggest dream, being excluded by your family like you don't even exist and that is my fault." 

 

Hana's tears rolls down the side of her cheeks, dripping onto her thighs, droplet by droplet. She expects Yeji to drive her out of the room and she is prepared to but what catches her off guard is Yeji wrapping her arms around her shoulders, pulling her into a hug. 

 

"Yeji?" 

 

Yeji shushes Hana and says, "It's my turn to speak, so just listen." Hana does as she is told and remains silent in Yeji's hold when she hears Yeji continue, "Stop blaming yourself, Hana. The accident was my fault, I wasn't looking and ran onto the road without a care. You said you've watched me struggle, well, I've watched you do the same. You come every month, every holiday, and you send me gifts every week in hopes that it would make me happy and I am grateful but don't fall further into this web of guilt that has you trapped. You are not at fault here and I wish you would stop trying to shoulder everything. I may not be beside you like I used to be but you have the Roses for a reason. Don't shut them out, Hana. They care for you. I do too." 

 

Hana burrows her face further into Yeji's neck, silently sobbing. 

 

"As for the girl you love..." Hana freezes, fearful of Yeji's next words. "I bear no resentment towards her." 

 

"You don't?" Hana manages to croak out. 

 

"Hush." 

 

Hana zips her lips with Yeji's warning. 

 

"As I was saying, I bear no resentment towards her. Frankly, if I were in her place, I would have been the same - afraid, pressured and a coward." Hana does not know if Yeji is complimenting or insulting Yves, the lines are blurred. "I can tell how much you care for her, Hana. The way you spoke about her on the phone, the excitement in your voice before all this mess and even bringing her to see me; it shows how in love you are with her. You cannot deny that, Hana and because I know that, I am asking you to forgive her." 

 

Hana is speechless, her eyes going wide, believing she's hallucinating. Maybe she'll even wake up in her bed at home to find out that all of this is a mere dream. 

 

"Forgive her, Hana," Yeji affirms, leaning away from the hug and looking earnestly towards Hana. 

 

She can't find any words to say, dumbfounded by the whole situation. 

 

Yeji is asking Hana to forgive Yves? After everything that's happened?

 

"W...What?" Hana stammers with a soft utter of disbelief. 

 

"I have something for you, Hana. But whether you wish to know is entirely your choice," Yeji reaches her arm to the side and tugs open her nightstand's drawer and retrieves a brown envelope. She uses her free hand to close the drawer and holds the envelope out to Hana. Hana takes it rather hesitantly and glances towards Yeji who wordlessly juts her chin out at the envelope. Hana's hand hovers above the opening as she opens to say:

 

"Before I open this, I want to know if the contents of this envelope will harm anyone around me." 

 

Yeji's mouth spreads to form a warm smile, radiating the warmth of the sun as she replies, "No, however, I can tell you that it is an eye-opener." 

 

Hana her lips nervously, reaching her hand into the envelope and pulls out the contents - a semi-thick file with a red stamp with the words classified on the cover. Hana recognizes it as a confidential police file. Her head snaps up to find Yeji who merely beckons for her to continue. Hana returns her sights back onto the file, flipping it open as pictures of the accident site from years ago comes to view. Memories of that time flashes through her mind: the fear, the anxiety and the only time she felt worthless against all odds - she failed her best friend. 

 

Hana blinks away the tears and continues shifting through the pictures, statements from those near the scene and one from the caller of the ambulance. She flips through and ends on one that depicts a trial of the guilty party. A whistleblower within the group revealed the accident to the authorities and the guilty parties were sent to a juvenile center because they were underage. Hana's eyes bulges in surprise when she reads: 

 

Whistleblower, Ha Sooyoung. Sentenced to community service for being an accomplice but the judicial court lessened it for her cooperation. 

 

Hana snaps her neck up to meet Yeji's amused expression. 

 

"When did you know?" Hana questions. "No, how did you even get this file?" 

 

Yeji picks up her chopsticks once more and begins eating again. Sensing Hana's growing anxiety, Yeji decides to put Hana out of her misery. 

 

"A couple days after your visit with her. I called up Hyunjin oppa and asked him to obtain the file for me." 

 

Hana is aware of the Hwang Family's connections to the government so, obtaining this file would be an easy feat especially for Yeji's older brother, Hyunjin who is the Managing Director of Hwang Group. He is the only one who cares for Yeji, unlike, her cold-hearted parents. 

 

"I must say I was genuinely stunned when I first read it. All those years, I believed she left me there without helping. Turns out, if not for her confession, those who did this to me would still be roaming the streets, living their life and forgetting the incident on a dark summer night," Yeji then turns her head to Hana, "I forgive her, Hana. So, you have no reason to continue avoiding her. You love her, don't you?" 

 

Hana drops the file by the edge of the bed and sighs heavily. Dropping her face into her hands, she hides. 

 

"I know you must feel conflicted. Just weeks ago, I declared her the accomplice in my accident and that made you alienate her out of guilt. Then, you spent the time apart wallowing in grief and trying to forget until you find out it isn't easy. Because you really fell for her. You love her so much that it pains you to not be with her. But for me, out of your loyalty, you stay away, you punish yourself by pushing her away but you miss her. You can't sleep because you fear you will dream of her and miss her more. You can't breathe because it feels like your chest tightens each time you are apart. Your days feel longer without her beside you and your heart is empty, hollow and barren because her love was the only thing filling it up." 

 

Hana's tears flow once more, she is losing count of the times she has cried today alone thanks to Yeji. She uses her thumb to brush away her tears and quips, "You stalking me, Hwang? I tremble before your power, Miss Shakespeare." 

 

With a shake of her head, Yeji puts her utensils down, sliding her hands into Hana's, and continues, "No. It's because I know you too well, Kang Hana. You may keep people at an arm's length but when you love someone, you wear your heart on your sleeve. You love with all your heart and I admired you for that. It's time you let your guard down, Hana. Do what you want. Love whoever you wish. Leave the past in the past. Start anew." 

 

Hana smiles at Yeji through her red eyes and stuffy nose with renewed determination. 

 

"I will."