Fifteen

It's You
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Every time he sees the girl, he feels something he can’t explain. The feeling that makes him confused, the feeling that drives him to do something he doesn’t even understand himself. Once again, Jiyong glances at Dara who is standing at the doorway, letting Jiyong and Yoona to enter first.

Dara had written down the address of the apartment building that Jiyong occupied since he arrived in Seoul early December. So this Sunday morning he invited Yoona to visit the apartment with him. As soon as they arrived at the building in question, Dara was waiting with her neighbors. Jiyong felt a little bit awkward when he met those strangers who claimed to know him. The neighbors were friendly, but they looked at Jiyong with a look of pity and curiosity. That made Jiyong felt uncomfortable, because at times like that he felt himself stupid.

After that brief introduction, Dara took him to an apartment on the second floor. Apartment number 201. When Jiyong stood in the corridor between apartments 201 and 202, he felt something. Something like... it seemed like he’s already familiar with that place. But the more he tried to think about it, the feeling was getting away.

As soon as he enters his apartment, Jiyong looks around. He recognizes some of the things he brought from New York, but the rest are foreign to him.

“Jiyong, do you remember anything?” asked Dara in a hopeful tone.

Jiyong turns towards Dara and shakes his head. The look on the girl’s face changes. Seeing that, Jiyong suddenly feels guilty. It’s strange... He finds himself not wanting to make her disappointed.

“Jiyong.”

Jiyong’s thought is interrupted and he turns towards Yoona. The woman is pointing at something on the floor. “What’s wrong?” Jiyong asked.

“I never knew you like slippers like this,” Yoona said, pointing to the Hello Kitty slippers lying near the entrance. She chuckled. “Is this yours?”

Jiyong looks at the slippers, then shrugs. “I don’t know,” he said lightly.

“Can I use it?” Yoona asked.

“Of course,” Jiyong said as he walked into the bedroom, not too concerned about the slippers. He didn’t look at the said neighbor girl at that time. He didn’t see Dara gasping and looked at Jiyong without blinking. Then her eyes narrow, she snorts softly and turns away.

***

Dara, Chaerin, and Seunghoon gather at Grandpa’s and Grandma Shin’s apartment to discuss their brief meeting with Jiyong earlier. Actually Dara had told about Jiyong’s situation the night before, when she returned from the reunion in a state of confusion and anxiety. Then this morning they were again introduced themselves to Jiyong and Yoona. The atmosphere was a bit awkward.

“I’ve told you!” Seunghoon exclaimed, staring at Chaerin with wide eyes. “You see, Noona? I’m right! It’s indeed Jiyong Hyung whom I saw at that time in the hospital.” He turns to Dara then to Grandpa and Grandma Shin who look at him with interest and explains, “I saw Jiyong Hyung in the hospital. At first I wasn’t sure, because he didn’t greet me at all or show signs that he knew me. But now we know that Jiyong Hyung has lost his memory. That’s why.”

“Really?” asked Dara, looking at Seunghoon. “Why did you never say anything to me?”

“At that time we were not sure that the person Seunghoon saw was Jiyong,” Chaerin said defensively. “Who would have thought that Jiyong lost his memory? Now he really is like a stranger.”

“I’ve heard several cases of memory loss, but if I’m not mistaken the person doesn’t remember anything at all. He forgets everything. He doesn’t remember his parents, even his own name. Are there any other people who can lose only a part of their memories? Like what happened to Jiyong?” asked Grandpa Shin confused.

Seunghoon nods. “I seem to have heard of such cases. Some of our memories can be lost if we experience trauma or something.”

“What trauma?” Chaerin muttered softly.

“Who was the woman with him?” asked Grandma Shin suddenly.

“His friend from New York,” answered Dara shortly. The woman Jiyong once liked, she adds to herself. And whom he might still like until now looking at how familiar they are. Dara’s eyebrows furrow as she recalls the way Jiyong smiled at Yoona. Jiyong only talked to Yoona, making Dara felt like a fool. That’s why she didn’t linger in Jiyong’s apartment. The two people were so engrossed in discussing things that she didn’t understand.

“But Dara, does he really not remember anything at all?” asked Grandpa Shin suddenly, apparently not really believing that Jiyong doesn’t remember them.

“Even after he saw his own apartment?”

Dara shakes her head. “Not even a bit,” she grunted, then sighs loudly. “Even though I wish he can remember something. Anything. But...” She shrugs and sighs once more.

The other four people look at each other.

“Why can’t he remember?” asked Dara to herself. Her forehead wrinkled. “Why?”

“Don’t worry too much. The doctor said his memory can come back anytime, right?” Chaerin tried to cheer her up.

As if she doesn’t hear Chaerin’s words, Dara mutters softly, “His words at the train station... he also doesn’t remember anymore.” Suddenly she exclaims, “You fool! Why say things that are easily forgotten? Making people confused!”

The four people sitting around her jump in surprise, but it’s wise not to open their mouth.

Right at that moment Dara’s cellphone rings. With impatient movements, Dara pulls the phone out of her jacket pocket and presses it to her ear. “Yes?” She said nonchalantly, then the look on her face changes. “Doctor Choi?”

***

Yoona turns towards Jiyong. The man is still standing near the balcony while talking to his father on the phone. Jiyong had just his laptop when his father called to ask about his condition. Idly Yoona takes over the laptop and finds a folder that stored photos of Jiyong’s shots while in Seoul.

Everything is photographed carefully. The angle, focus, and objects that are photographed are very clear. Yoona’s smile widens as she looks at the photos. The city of Seoul was photographed expertly. But that’s not something strange. Kwon Jiyong won’t be a well-known professional photographer in New York if his shots aren’t included in awesome categories.

Suddenly Yoona’s hand movements stop. Her eyes fix on the photo in front of her. A photo of a girl wearing green jacket amidst a crowd of people passing by on the road. The girl stood back to the camera, her head turned to the side. Her face isn’t too clear because the photo was taken from a distance. In addition to the figure of the girl in the green jacket, the objects around her — including the crowd of people passing by — are black and white and looks blurred. Even Yoona knows this photo is an amazing photo. It’s as if the photographer’s camera was only centered on the girl and the world around her faded.

The following black and white photos are also very impressive. The main object is once again a girl standing in a not too wide aisle between two tall bookshelves, against the background of a large glass window. The sunlight penetrated the glass and darkened the girl’s figure. Yoona can only see the girl’s face looking down at a book in her hand. Where is that place? Maybe at the bookstore? Or library?

Yoona’s hand moves again, showing another photo. This photo doesn’t show anyone, only a brown wooden door with three digits of number attached to the cen

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter