Thirteen

It's You
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

According to Uncle, I’ve lived in Seoul for the past month, Jiyong thought while wearing his jacket. But he remembers nothing. The last thing he remembers is that he was still in his apartment in New York, troubled by the news of Yoona’s wedding, thinking that he should leave New York for a while. His last memory ended there.

However, Jiyong feels like he had a good reason why he had been living in Seoul all this time. There must be a reason. Maybe the initial reason was to avoid Yoona and also to clear his mind, but her uncle said Jiyong had mentioned the matter of settling and working in Seoul, even said he planned to hold an exhibition of his works. Is that true?

Jiyong sighs softly and closes his eyes. His head always gets hurt every time he tries to remember. He opens his eyes again and watches his reflection in the mirror. It’s been almost a week since he regained consciousness. Now he looks healthy. The doctor said the injuries on his body will heal soon.

Jiyong glances at the small table beside the bed. The camera is located there, next to a series of keys. His uncle found the two objects in the car Jiyong had borrowed at the time of the accident. Jiyong recognizes the camera, but knows nothing about the keys.

“I’m sure this camera is yours,” said his uncle two days ago, when he handed the camera, the keys, and a package to Jiyong. “About they keys, I’m not sure.”

“It looks like house keys,” Jiyong muttered as he looked at it.

Yang Hyunsuk shrugged his shoulders. “Don’t ask me. You never told me where you live, so I don’t know anything.”

His uncle can’t help and at this time Jiyong is completely unsure of anything. He feels like a fool because of this amnesia. The doctor said he suffered from partial amnesia. However, since the wounds on his head aren’t too harmful, the doctor assured him that his memory would return sooner or later. It’s just that he can’t remember the events of the past month. Why is that?

Jiyong looks back at his pale reflection in the mirror. What if he tries to hit his own head? Maybe his memory can come back. He can try banging his head against the wall...

There’s a knock on the ward door. Jiyong turns right when the door opened and Seunghyun steps inside. Today he’s dressed casually, without a white coat and without a stethoscope hanging from his neck. And he smiles when he sees Jiyong.

“I heard that you’re allowed to go home today,” said Seunghyun. “How are you feeling?” Seunghyun is one of his loyal visitors, besides his own uncle and mother. Jiyong knows Seunghyun, but his memory is only limited when they’re young. Jiyong hoped that Seunghyun can give more information than Yang Hyunsuk about him being in Seoul, but unfortunately Seunghyun couldn’t help much. According to Seunghyun, they had indeed met a few times and kept in touch through the phone since Jiyong arrived in Seoul last month, but they hadn’t had time to talk much about personal matters. And Seunghyun also didn’t know where Jiyong lived.

“I feel like a fool,” Jiyong murmured with a wry smile.

Seunghyun looks at him with concern. “Don’t force yourself, Ji. Slowly your memories will come back.”

“I hope so,” murmured Jiyong.

“What are your plans now?”

Jiyong looks back at his own reflection in the mirror and shakes his head. “I have no idea. I think I’ll stay here for a while. To see whether I can remember a little of what I really planned here,” he said, then shrugs. “My father wants me to go back to New York, but I haven’t thought that far.”

Going back to New York now doesn’t seem to be the right decision, Jiyong thought. He moved away from New York for one reason. Maybe during his stay in Seoul he had managed not to think too much about Yoona. Maybe, Jiyong only hoped that was the case. But now that he has lost his memory for the past month, everything’s back to what it was before.

He remembers Yoona again. The woman will marry Jiyong’s best friend. Jiyong remembers when Yoona told him happily that she’s getting married. Couldn’t the woman see that Jiyong was so dumbfounded he couldn’t speak? Couldn’t she see Jiyong’s heart felt as if stopped beating when he heard the news? Couldn’t she see that Jiyong liked her all this time? That she meant a lot to Jiyong?

Jiyong wonders why the injury on his head didn’t make him forget Yoona instead. Isn’t that better? That way he will never remember how much he liked her.

“By the way, are you still interested in attending our school reunion on January 10?” Seunghyun asked, breaking Jiyong’s daydream. “Meeting old friends might be a little entertaining.”

Jiyong nods, then smiles. “I think you’re right,” he said. “I’ll call you later about that.”

“Oh yeah, I saw your mother talking to a doctor. I think it will be finished soon,” said Seunghyun. “How do you get home? I can take you home. My shift is ended for today.”

“Thank you, but my uncle will come to pick us up.”

At that time Seunghyun’s phone rings. “Wait a minute?” He said to Jiyong. He reaches into the pocket of his trousers and takes out his phone.

Jiyong moves to the small table beside the bed to continue packing his things. He is happy because he is finally discharged from this stifling hospital. He couldn’t stand the smell of medicine that’s smelled all over the hospital. In short, he hates hospitals.

“Oh, Dara-ssi.”

Dara-ssi? Jiyong gasps and his head turns back to Seunghyun’s radiant face.

Seunghyun continues talking on the phone with a big smile. “Yes, I did call you before, but I guess you must be busy ... No, it’s okay ... If you have time, how about I treat you to lunch?”

Looks like the call from his girlfriend, Jiyong thought. His forehead frowns faintly, trying to remember. Before his memory lost, did he already know that Seunghyun had a girlfriend? Did he ever see Seunghyun’'s girlfiend?

Jiyong sighs deeply, looking at the positive side. At least he still remembers his own name, his parents, and all of his life events up to a month ago. He just can’t remember the events of the past month. Only one month. And he believes there are no important things to remember.

***

“Food poisoning,” Chaerin grunted, glancing at her pale-looking brother. “You must be eating carelessly while in Incheon.”

Seunghoon shakes his head sluggishly and walks with a dragged step next to Chaerin. “ I don’t eat anything,” he murmured. “Just a little snack ... here and there.”

Chaerin takes her brother’s arm because it seems like Seunghoon can’t walk upright and straight without being helped. She tightens Seunghoon’s jacket and scarf when they come out of the hospital building. Apparently it’s raining. Seunghoon shivers.

Chaerin turns to the right and left, then says to Seunghoon, “You wait here for a while. I’ll call a taxi.”

Seunghoon nods weakly. He really wants to lie down righ

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter