001 || Endless World

Feathers [앞으로 잘 부탁해]

 

 

Choosing the newest set of garment that she had in her wardrobe, Sakura put it on and did a twirl in front of her mirror. Perfect. It definitely showcased how pure angels were. It was totally white, portraying a look of innocence. Any speck of dust that landed onto the piece of fabric could be seen clearly.


 

It was finally the day for Sakura to descend to Earth and meet her human.


 

Sakura was troubled.


 

How on Earth was she going to meet her? Should she pretend to be a lost foreigner that lost her passport? But Chaeyeon could just take her to the police station to help. Or should she enroll into the same school as Chaeyeon? But that wouldn’t guarantee that Chaeyeon would talk to her.


 

“Ah!” The cherry blossom girl exclaimed as she thought of an idea.


 

“Dear lord!” Sakura turned to the voice and found her senior, Kaeun, at the door. “You scared me, dear Sakura.”


 

Lee Kaeun. Sakura remembered her as an older sister who was always there for her. But ever since Chaeyeon was introduced to Sakura, Kaeun started to irritate Sakura. Perhaps it was the way Kaeun spoke non-stop when Sakura was observing her human. But the younger knew that she did that to get her attention. And Sakura was guilty of it, but she couldn’t help and pay more attention to Chaeyeon.


 

“Kaeun.” Sakura greeted her with a little bow. “I’m sorry. What brings you here early in the morning? The sun has yet to rise.”


 

“I could say the same to you.” Kaeun smiled and made herself comfortable on the soft chair opposite of Sakura. “It’s rare to see you up this early. You are usually sleeping, even though we, angels, do not need it.”


 

Sakura shivered at the tone the older was using. She couldn’t tell if the older was just teasing harmlessly, or was jealous and decided to attack Sakura with words.


 

“I-”


 

“From the day you decided to go to Earth, you have started sleeping.” Kaeun cut her off before she could form a reply. “All because of that human. Sakura, you know it’s forbidden. Stop what you are doing before you fall in love. Look at where it got Ire-”


 

“Don’t!” Sakura huffed, tears threatening to escape her eyes.


 

Kaeun could only shut as she waited for Sakura to continue.


 

“Don’t ever mention her name!” Sakura muttered.


 

“Alright, seeing as it is your birthday, I won’t anger you anymore.” Kaeun whispered in defeat. “Happy birthday, little one.”


 

“Thanks.” Sakura mumbled and turned around before drying her eyes. “I have to prepare now.”


 

“Of course.” Kaeun smiled gently. “I’ll be waiting at the main hall where your celebration will be held.”


 

“Kaeun…” Sakura grabbed her hand. “I… won’t be attending. You know how much I hate it when they start preaching me on the rules. Besides, I can’t wait any longer to meet her.”


 

“Her?!” Anger reflected on the older’s face, taking Sakura by surprise. “I’ve had enough of this! Every single time you open your mouth, it’s all about her. Chaeyeon this, Chaeyeon that. Why?”


 

The cherry blossom girl could only stare at Kaeun in shock. Never had she seen her in such fury. No matter how grave Sakura’s mistakes were, Kaeun always seemed to forgive her and never put blame on her. It was the first time witnessing such an outbreak by the older.


 

“Why can’t you see that I love you?” Kaeun finally said as she slumped down from her chair, exhausted from all the yelling.


 

“K-Kaeun…”


 

Sakura stumbled backwards, falling onto her bed.


 

“I didn’t know.” Sakura said. “Thank you, but I’m sorry, I don’t… feel the same.”


 

“Didn’t know.” The other angel huffed in defeat. “Of course you didn’t know! All you’ve been seeing is Chaeyeon. Would you even notice the little things I did for you? Did you know that all those times you forgot your meal because you were busy watching her, I was the one who prepared them and sent it here?”


 

“I’m sorry Kae-”


 

“No. I should be sorry instead.” Kaeun said. “Sorry for spoiling such a joyous occasion. I’ll return to my quarters. Good luck on your first day, and…”


 

Kaeun paused and looked at Sakura sincerely.


 

“For your own good, do not ever fall in love.”


 

Sakura could only sit and watch as her sister-like friend took her leave. She messed up. Sakura had messed up real big and she probably can’t find a solution to it. She had just lost a friend. Not just any friend but her best friend. Her sister.


 

“Sakura?” A tiny voice called out.


 

Sakura looked up to see her fluffy junior peeking her head into the room.


 

“Hii-chan.” The older wiped her tears away as she patted on the empty space beside her, signaling for Hitomi to take a seat.


 

“Kkura-chan.” Hitomi said with her cute voice, making Sakura smile a bit. “Kaeun said you weren’t joining us, so I’m here to give you our presents. Nako-chan is still sick and doesn’t want you to catch her fever on such an important day.”


 

“Thank you Hitomi.” Sakura said and gave the girl a warm hug. “I can always count on the two of you.”


 

Hitomi wrapped her arms around her senior, before pulling away to put a box into Sakura’s hands.


 

“We made it ourselves.”


 

Sakura gently opened the lid, revealing a crafted silver feather bracelet. Although it wasn’t perfect, Sakura could tell the amount of effort placed into the handiwork. It must have been the reason why Nako was down with a fever.


 

“Enjoy your stay on Earth, Kkura-chan. And take care.” Hitomi giggled. “Most importantly, don’t have too much fun and forget about us!”


 

Sakura laughed at her cute little junior. How sweet of them to personally produce a bracelet because they were afraid of being forgotten. It was as if Sakura was never coming back.


 

“How can I ever forget such a cute girl?” Sakura pinched Hitomi’s cheeks playfully. “And Nako-chan? Even if I wanted to forget her, her playful pranks would always haunt me!”


 

The two angels laughed as they recalled Nako finishing Sakura’s pint of green tea ice cream and replacing it with wasabi. Sakura was so furious she ignored Nako until the girl had a taste of the ‘green tea ice cream’ herself.


 

“Hii-chan. Thank you.” Sakura said as she gave the girl a kiss on her cheeks. “I have to go. The sun is almost up.”


 

Hitomi just nodded as she followed Sakura out of her quarters.


 

“Have a safe trip, Sakura.”


 

•¤•


 

Sakura wandered on the streets aimlessly as she contemplated on how she would meet Chaeyeon. It will be fine to show up as a potential housemate right? Sakura saw the familiar advertisement stuck onto the post. All she had to do was to dial the number.


 

“Hello.”


 

A sudden cold voice took Sakura by surprise as she made a tiny jump backwards, tripping on her own foot and almost falling. Sakura clamped her eyelids tight, preparing to embrace the impact of the cold hard ground, yet it never came.


 

“Be careful there.” She said again.


 

Sakura fluttered her eyes open and took in her surroundings. She was caught by the girl’s strong arms before she landed onto the ground. Sakura recognised her. How could she not after seeing her almost everyday for the past few years.


 

The girl had rounded eyes and facial features that were similar to a bunny’s. Her silky black hair flowed gracefully down her shoulders, sitting obediently in place. She reminded Sakura of her senior, Irene.


 

“I-Irene?” The angel called out, hand reaching out to touch the other’s face.


 

“Who are you?” The stranger retracted her hand and dropped Sakura on the spot, as if it burnt.


 

Sakura could only close her eyes shut for the second time as she fell to the ground. She let out a small yelp in pain when her harshly contacted the cold cement. Whoever told Sakura that pain was a happy feeling was going to be dead. It was probably Nako pulling her leg again.


 

“S-Sorry!” The girl stretched her hand out, offering to help Sakura up.


 

The angel couldn’t believe her eyes. There she was, standing right in front of her. It was definitely Irene. Her beloved senior that she had always respected. Every part of her was identical, even her personality.


 

Sakura understood.


 

Perhaps this was her punishment. To remain on Earth and life like a lowly human. Irene seemed to have forgotten about her. Maybe even her memories were washed when she was sent here. Sakura swallowed bitterly as she forced herself not to cry.


 

At least Irene was here now.


 

“If you were going to let me fall, you shouldn’t have caught me.” Sakura chuckled as she took the other’s hand in her own and pulled herself up.


 

The cherry blossom girl dusted her white dress, which was now stained with patches of grey. She made a little bow and smiled, hoping that Irene didn’t find her weird.


 

“I’m Sakura.” The taller said. “I just had a close friend that looked like you.”


 

“I would like to meet her.” Irene returned it with her own smile that Sakura couldn’t help but be mesmerized.


 

“I would too.” The other whispered, barely audible.


 

Before Irene could question what the younger meant, Sakura pointed to the piece of paper that she had been staring at previously.


 

“Do you know where this is?” Sakura asked.


 

“Yes, Sakura.” Irene replied. “I’m her neighbour.”


 

Neighbour? The almighty Heavens must have been playing tricks on her. Why didn’t she notice Irene after observing Chaeyeon daily? And now, she has to be neighbours with her. Sakura was glad that she found Irene. But they were no longer the same. Sakura knew her but Irene didn’t.


 

“In fact, I was going to ask if you were interested in the apartment, but ended up surprising you by accident.” Irene giggled at the memory. “Let me take you there.”


 

Sakura nodded as she followed the girl. The familiar rhythm of Irene’s footsteps calmed Sakura’s beating heart as she tried to forget about her senior. Irene was gone. But Irene was here.


 

Even though it was her first time walking through the streets, Sakura was extremely familiar with the route. She almost gave herself away but managed to catch herself in time when Irene shot her a suspicious look. Luckily there was a cat nearby and she acted like she rushed forward to pat it.


 

“Here we are.” Irene said and pressed the lift button.


 

Sakura muttered a small thanks and stood inside, not knowing what to say to Irene. She was afraid that if she said too much, Irene might think of her as a stalker.


 

“Chaeyeon lives on the 12th floor. I’m on the 5th.” The resident stated. “I will introduce you to her.”


 

Sakura nodded and followed the girl out of the lift when they arrived at the 12th floor. Everything was the same just like how Sakura remembered, other than the fact that Chaeyeon’s house seemed to have 2 more pairs of shoes.


 

Irene pressed on the doorbell and both of them just stood there waiting silently. Neither knew what to say to the other. Unfortunately for Sakura, her stomach grumbled right as the door opened.


 

“Oh dear, you must be hungry!”


 

Sakura stood in awe as she took in the sight of Chaeyeon. Finally they were able to meet. Sakura had always imagined running her hands through Chaeyeon’s silky hair. She believed that no one else’s hair could be softer and smoother than the blonde’s. Not even angels.


 

“Jjaeyon.” Sakura let out before she could stop herself.