003 || Feels Uneasy

Feathers [앞으로 잘 부탁해]


 

“Sakura!”


 

The said girl turned around, hair swaying along with the wind gracefully. If there was a scout around, she would definitely be scouted for a shampoo commercial.


 

Hitomi almost fell onto her at the sight of Sakura. The senior angel was shining so brightly, Hitomi swore she saw the sun.


 

“Hii-chan!” Sakura chuckled at the sight of her stunned junior.


 

Sakura’s physical body was currently sleeping on Chaeyeon’s bed alongside its owner. It was a daily job for angels to report to the Lord of their lives on Earth. And here Sakura’s soul was, back in the Heavens and back from her report. Of course, she didn’t mention Irene.


 

The Lord didn’t comment on Sakura’s first day on Earth. All she did was nod as the cherry blossom girl finished her last sentence.


 

Sakura didn’t know if it was a good or a bad thing. The Lord was known to be a silent one who kept to herself. Even Minju, the wise angel who served as her assistant wasn’t able to figure out what she was thinking. Then again, Minju was similar to Lord Hyewon. No one could ever decipher what was in their mind.


 

“Kkura-chan?” It was now Hitomi’s turn to witness her senior with her head up in the clouds, no puns intended.


 

“Hii-chan.” Sakura breathed out. “Right.”


 

Sakura looked at Hitomi’s worried face in amusement. The younger was just too cute for her own good. Sakura didn’t know what she did to deserve two cute angels who were willing to stay by her side. Even though Nako could get cheeky at times.


 

“I was about to look for you.” Sakura said.


 

Hitomi smiled widely before leading the way to Nako’s resting quarters. It’s an unspoken knowledge that Sakura held both Hitomi and Nako close to her heart. Of course Irene and Kaeun as well. But Sakura has yet to speak with Kaeun ever since then.


 

Speaking of the devil, Kaeun appeared from the far end, seemingly to have exited from Jurina’s room. Jurina was another senior. And Sakura’s rival. It was one-sided anyways. Sakura was gifted in many ways Jurina wasn’t. And the latter was jealous of the attention Sakura was getting, and made it her life goal to make Sakura’s life a living hell.


 

Sakura didn’t know what the hell Kaeun was doing there. Even if Sakura didn’t acknowledge Jurina as her rival, she sought to be as far as possible from her. But she couldn’t comprehend Kaeun’s actions. And was too tired to.


 

“Let’s go, Hii-chan.” Sakura started walking again, noting that she had unconsciously stopped at the sight of her… best friend?


 

Sakura tensed as she took in the familiar smell of the taller. She didn’t acknowledge Sakura either. It was a relief for Sakura, she didn’t want any trouble, neither awkwardness.


 

Just when they passed by each other, Kaeun spoke, stopping Sakura in her tracks.


 

“Lee Chaeyeon is dead.”


 

It was barely a whisper and only Sakura heard it.


 

What did she mean dead? It couldn’t be possible. Chaeyeon was sleeping and if she woke up, Sakura would be back in her physical body. The younger didn’t have any illness that would cause her to die in her sleep either.


 

It then dawned on Sakura.


 

Jurina.


 

Kaeun must have met with her and came up with a plan to destroy Chaeyeon. It was a win-win situation for them. Kaeun removes the threat, Chaeyeon, and Sakura would return to her. Jurina gets to get rid of her rival’s human, causing failure in Sakura’s duty as a guardian angel.


 

But never did it dawn on them that it wouldn’t work like they wanted.


 

Sakura would be too devastated and would hate Kaeun for ruining her first job, as well as Chaeyeon. Jurina on the other hand, didn’t know of Sakura’s devotion to Chaeyeon. Sakura would do anything to protect her. And if an angel was dead, the Lord would definitely uncover the reason and punish the criminal severely.


 

“Kkura-chan?” Hitomi called out, confused by the sudden brake. “What happened?”


 

Sakura snapped out of her thoughts and tapped her cheeks a few times, refreshing herself. Should Sakura tell her the truth? No. Hitomi shouldn’t be involved in this war. She was innocent.


 

“N-Nothing.”


 

Hitomi stared as Sakura’s back as the girl proceeded on her way to Nako’s quarters. Something was definitely off. And yet Sakura doesn’t want to tell Hitomi, her close junior. Perhaps she didn’t want to trouble her.


 

“Hii-chan are you coming?” Sakura asked as she looked back.


 

“Yes yes!” The fluffy girl called out and ran as fast as her legs could go. “Wait for me!”


 

It wasn’t a long trip to Nako’s quarters, but it was definitely a tiring one. The tiny girl had to choose the room on the highest floor and the damned elevator had to break down today.


 

“Remind me again why is Nako living at such a high level when she is so short?” Sakura panted as the two of them ascended the stairs.


 

“That’s precisely why.” Hitomi said, not looking one bit tired. “So that when she looks out of her window, she can finally look down on people.”


 

Sakura chuckled softly. Even though Hitomi didn’t speak her mind, Sakura knew fairly well that the other was cursing Nako in her mind.


 

“Nako-chan!” Hitomi knocked against the gigantic wooden door.


 

Sakura laughed again. Why would Nako need such a huge door when she was so tiny? The cherry blossom swore an elephant could pass through without touching the sides of the gate.


 

The door opened to reveal a groggy looking girl in sky blue pajamas, hugging her pillow lazily. Her eyes widened when she saw her beloved senior at the door, smiling at her. Nako was upset that she wasn’t able to send Sakura off on her first day on Earth, but seeing Sakura now cleared her mind of all those thoughts.


 

“Kkura-chan!” Nako dropped her pillow and pounced forward, almost crushing Sakura in her tight hug.


 

“Nako-chan!” Hitomi stepped in to break the two apart. “You’re going to suffocate her.”


 

“Can’t blame me, I missed her!” Nako said cheekily and stuck her tongue out at Hitomi.


 

“We just saw each other yesterday, Nako-chan.” Sakura giggled.


 

Nako just whined in response.


 

“But I didn’t get to send you off. Who knows what would have happened?”


 

Hitomi clicked her tongue at her friend before inviting herself in, settling on one of the soft bean bags that Nako owned.


 

Nako wanted to open to comment on Hitomi’s behavior but was cut off by Sakura. She dragged Nako in and shut the door behind her, both of them settling down on the two bean bags left.


 

“Anyways, I have something to discuss with you two.” Sakura started.


 

“Ooh has Almighty fallen in love with a lowly human?” Nako laughed, kicking her legs excitedly in the air.


 

Sakura clicked her tongue, shutting Nako up.


 

“It’s regarding… Irene.”


 

The two younger angels got serious and sat upright in their bean bags. They have never heard the name ever since she was gone. It was consensus that the name was a taboo word in Heaven. The matter must be important for Sakura to be bringing Irene up.


 

“I saw her.”


 

Nako fell over her bean bag in shock while Hitomi froze with her eyes wide open.


 

“In fact, she is Chaeyeon’s neighbour.” Sakura sighed.


 

“She’s alive?” Nako exclaimed as she got up and brushed her dress.


 

“Not really…” Sakura said and told them about her experience.


 

Hitomi sat in silence and thought about the possibilities while Nako just rambled her own theory.


 

Sakura thought whatever Nako said made sense. Irene was punished and turned into a human and could never step foot back in Heavens. Her memories were wiped so she did have any knowledge about Heavens. But one thing was missing.


 

Wendy.


 

What happened to Irene’s lover? Sakura didn’t know. And it doesn’t seem to her that Irene knew Wendy. For the fact that Wendy wasn’t around when she met Irene. If they were together, Irene would be wherever Wendy was.


 

“Perhaps it is a test of their love.” Hitomi said.


 

Sakura was confused. What did that mean? Besides, she can’t be too sure if Irene was really her senior or just her reincarnate.


 

“I’m not too sure about this, Hii-chan.”


 

“Perhaps. Just perhaps.” Hitomi said.


 

“So if their love is strong, they get to be together?” Nako said. “Does that mean they would be separated forever if they don’t find each other?”


 

“Maybe. Just maybe.” Hitomi said, leading to Nako facepalming.


 

Sakura realised at that point in time that Irene wasn’t punished. Irene wasn’t banished to Earth. She was given a chance. Given a chance to live and a chance to love.


 

But it all depends on Irene. If she was strong enough to face the challenge.


 

•¤•


 

“Good morning.” The cherry blossom girl said. “I’m Miyawaki Sakura from Japan.”


 

Sakura decided to enroll into Chaeyeon’s university. And she signed up for Chaeyeon’s classes. It was a good sign. Maybe her first job as a guardian angel will proceed smoothly.


 

“Kim Chaewon.” The girl said. “What brings you here?”


 

“I…”


 

Seeing as Sakura was stuck, Chaeyeon chuckled before patting her shoulders.


 

“Probably for personal reasons, Chaewon-ah.” Chaeyeon said. “And she doesn’t look too comfortable to share.”


 

Sakura sighed in relief as the matter was dropped. She has yet to create a background for herself. And one day, she has to tell Chaeyeon about herself.


 

“Thanks…” Sakura mumbled.


 

Chaeyeon did a peace sign in response before turning her attention back to the lecturer.


 

Sakura didn’t have any clue on what the lecturer was talking about. Something about taking care of muscles. Sakura didn’t need this. Angels won’t be injured. And plus, all her attention was directed to her seatmate. Not Chaewon, but Chaeyeon.


 

The cherry blossom girl just kept staring at Chaeyeon. Chaeyeon’s cheeks turned red after a few moments and she coughed lightly into her hand, obviously out of embarrassment. Only then did Sakura realise her actions and turned away.


 

The interaction did not go unnoticed by Chaewon as she just rolled her eyes.

 


 

“Sakura?” Chaeyeon called out as they finished their classes.


 

The said girl just turned to look at Chaeyeon.


 

“I have club activities so you can go back first.”


 

With that, Chaeyeon left Sakura by herself. The girl could just pack up in disappointment. A sudden realisation hit her as she thought of how Chaeyeon could get closer to Eunbi during dance sessions. Sakura was supposed to feel happy, to be excited for her human. But she couldn’t as jealousy in the form of pain seared through her pure heart.


 

“Girl you got it hard.” Chaewon said as she hung her arm over Sakura’s shoulders. “She’s got a crush already.”


 

Sakura knew that she shouldn’t be feeling all these, but Chaewon’s words felt like salt to wounds. It just broke Sakura’s heart even more, if it was possible.


 

“Oh, you’re still here.” Sakura said bitterly.


 

Chaewon faked an injury to her heart as she groaned, before chuckling at her own joke.


 

“But fret not, here’s an advice from the universal third wheeler: There’s so many other fishes in the pond.”


 

Sakura grunted at the younger before shrugging her off, slinging her backpack over her shoulders and heading to the restroom.


 

Pushing the door open, the sight that greeted Sakura made her jaw drop. There Chaeyeon was, leaning in front of the sink and cleaning what seemed like cuts and bruises. Her uniform was crumpled and stained with blood.


 

“Jjaeyeon?” The girl called out gently as she locked the doors behind her.


 

“S-Saku…”