005 || Special Heart

Feathers [앞으로 잘 부탁해]

 

 

Sakura shuffles nervously into the cafeteria. Looking around, she spotted Chaeyeon at the other corner, seated with Chaeryeong and Ryujin.


 

“Jjae-”


 

“Chaeyeon-ah!” Eunbi interrupted. “Do you mind if I join you guys?”


 

Sakura stared at Chaeyeon as the younger nodded, and Eunbi sat on the only empty seat to that table.


 

“Stop staring.” Sakura felt a nudge to her side.


 

It was Chaewon.


 

“I’m not.” Sakura blurted out. “Who cares about Chaeyeon. Baka.


 

Chaewon laughed as Sakura made a turn, stomping her way out of the cafeteria. The Japanese was seriously upset at the moment and Chaewon was at a loss.


 

“I didn’t say Chaeyeon.” Chaewon muttered.


 

The younger was pretty sure Sakura said that she would help Chaeyeon out, but she gets jealous and sulky at the sight of both of them together. All Chaewon wanted to do was to tease the older, but she knows that it wasn’t the right time.


 

“Hey.” The red head caught up with Sakura. “Let’s get coffee at the nearby cafè instead. My treat.”


 

“Your treat!” Sakura smiled.


 

“Yes yes so cheer up already.”


 

“Kim Chaewon, why are you being so nice?” Sakura said jokingly. “I might fall for you at this rate.”


 

The duo laughed absent minded and entered the cafè. Without any hesitation, Chaewon sat at the seat near the door, which was also the closest to the counter.


 

“Sakura.” Chaewon whispered. “I’ll pay, so can you make the order?”


 

“Why?”


 

Out of curiosity, Sakura whipped her head over to the counter where Chaewon was staring. What was Chaewon afraid of that she was being so sneaky? All Sakura saw was a slim back figure of the waitress.


 

“What? Do you have a crush on her?” Sakura said, almost loud enough for the entire cafè to hear. “Wow Kim Chaewon.”


 

“Not so loud!” The younger slapped Sakura on her shoulders. “She recognises me because I come here often.”


 

Sakura held a small giggle. So much for all the teasing. Chaewon was undoubtedly in the same plight as her.


 

“Does she have anyone she likes?” Chaewon pondered a while before shaking her head.


 

Not exactly like Sakura’s situation then. Chaewon had hope. Sakura could picture a bright opportunity in front of her.


 

“As a loyal friend, I shall help you.” Sakura gave Chaewon a wink.


 

Scratch that. More like a blink or a scowl but it doesn’t matter, Chaewon was staring straight at the waitress.


 

“Is that… Minju?” Sakura said when the waitress turned.


 

“Yes. She is in dance too.” Chaewon confirmed, pretending to stare outside when Minju looked her way. “Please don’t betray me.”


 

Sakura chuckled and took the wad of cash that Chaewon offered before walking over to the counter. Flustered Chaewon was endearing. She admitted that Chaewon and Minju would make a great pair.


 

“Hello.” Sakura spoke. “Minju?”


 

“Nice to see you again, Sakura.” The waitress replied politely. “How are you doing?”


 

“I’m great.” The cherry blossom girl sported a small smile. “Can I get two cups of cappuccino and a slice of cake?”


 

Minju nodded and took the cash before tendering the change.


 

“Please wait a moment.” The girl said and went to brew the coffee.


 

Knowing that Chaewon was staring, Sakura pretended to check out the display counter, noticing the different pastries that the cafè offered. It was sure weird to see Minju working here as a part timer, but Chaewon’s crush on her was weirder. Minju was sure beautiful but Sakura thought Chaewon was as straight as a ruler.


 

“Here.” Minju called as she placed the plate of cake on the tray. “Hope you enjoy it.”


 

Sakura smirked. It was time for her to play cupid.


 

“Thank you. Chaewon would love it.” The older picked up the plate of cake. “This is for you to re-energise. Courtesy of Chaewon.”


 

Minju blushed and gave a small bow to Chaewon who was staring. Getting caught, Chaewon turned immediately in embarrassment, not knowing what Sakura did.


 

“Can I get another slice of cake to go? I’ll pick it up later.” Sakura leaned over the counter and whispered. “You can give her your number as thanks.”


 

Minju meekly nodded as her blush grew redder. Sakura giggled as she headed back to the table, satisfied with herself.


 

•¤•


 

“Oh? What’s this?” Sakura found a pink envelope lying in her locker after she came back.


 

“A secret admirer?” Chaewon mused, giddy from her conversation with Minju earlier. “I can only say, ‘Bye Chaeyeon’.”


 

Sakura slapped Chaewon’s shoulder playfully. In all seriousness, who could it be? Sakura was a new student and didn’t know a lot of students. Was it someone she knew? Or was it a stranger?


 

“Seriously, everyone around me is being loved and here I am, always being the third wheeler.” Chaewon spat.


 

“I guess I was the one being engrossed in my conversation with Minju earlier that I didn’t hear the third wheeler calling.” Sakura teased.


 

Chaewon could only blush when she realised Sakura was talking about her. She can’t be blamed though, Minju was just too captivating.


 

“Saku-chan?”


 

Sakura turned at her nickname, spotting an excited Chaeyeon rushing to her side.


 

“Oh? W-What’s that?” Chaeyeon stuttered as she grabbed the letter from Sakura’s grip. “‘To dear Sakura’.”


 

The cherry blossom blushed at Chaeyeon’s words. Well technically it wasn’t her words, but hearing Chaeyeon say that had an effect on Sakura.


 

“A secret admirer?” Chaeyeon hummed.


 

Sakura noted that Chaeyeon grew slightly red.


 

“Well, I’m not interested.” The cherry blossom girl said nonchalantly.


 

“I’ll read it for you.” Chaewon said as she took the letter out of Chaeyeon’s hands.


 

“‘Dear Sakura, the sight of you makes my heart flutter. Hope you enjoyed your day’.” Chaewon ended. “That’s all. There wasn’t even a name.”


 

Chaewon looked around the area, hoping to catch sight of the protagonist of the letter but to no avail. Chaeyeon was looking fidgety and Sakura didn’t seem to care.


 

“Anyway, I got you something, Jjaeyeon-ah.” Sakura said as she handed her the nicely wrapped box.


 

Chaeyeon noticeably blushed and grabbed the handle with shaky hands.


 

“T-Thank you.” The younger smiled. “I’ll eat it well.”


 

As the two of them stared into each other's eyes, Chaewon shifted uncomfortably in her shoes. As always she was being the third wheel. Unable to stand the heavy tension, she cleared .


 

“Ah right.” Chaeyeon said after being startled by Chaewon. “I have to prepare for dance. See you there.”


 

Sakura nodded sheepishly and stood aside for Chaeyeon to pass.


 

“What was that?” Chaewon smirked. “It seems like you might have a chance with her.”


 

“And it seems like you are more of my friend than hers.” Sakura retorted and flicked Chaewon on her forehead. “I’ll get going too. Thanks for the coffee.”


 

Sakura headed for the practice room with the ends of her lips tugged upwards. She knew that she would regret all of this at the end but she couldn’t help it. Her attraction towards Chaeyeon was real and her emotions were spiraling out of control. Sakura can’t turn back at this point.


 

“Sakura!” Eunbi greeted and gave her a hug. “You can set up with Minju. Chaeyeon will be teaching the two of you privately.”


 

What?


 

“You are new and… Minju is having a hard time catching up.” Eunbi explained as she escorted Sakura to the corner where Minju was waiting. “Chaeyeon’s late.”


 

The cherry blossom girl’s ears perked up at the mention of the name.


 

“She’s never late though.” Minju added.


 

“I know.” Eunbi sighed. “I wonder what happened.”


 

It can’t be, Sakura thought. Was she being bullied again? The angel wanted to punch herself for letting her guard down again. Why was she so careless? She was supposed to be protecting Chaeyeon as her guardian angel and instead she wasn’t doing her job right.


 

“Ah right!” Sakura called out. “I remembered Jjaeyeon telling me she wasn’t feeling well in class. Sorry, I have to go back and check on her.”


 

Before Eunbi could even reply, Sakura rushed out of the room, heading to the nearest washroom. Sakura would kill herself if anything happened to Chaeyeon. How could she forget about the bullies?!


 

“Jjaeyeon-ah!” Sakura called as she burst into the washroom.


 

There she was, in front of the sink washing her hands. Everything looked fine to Sakura. Chaeyeon didn’t look like she got beaten up. Her outfit wasn’t in a mess either. Sakura was mistaken. Chaeyeon was fine.


 

“Saku-chan!” Chaeyeon sounded nervous. “What are you doing here?”


 

“I… I thought you were… You know?” Sakura hinted and looked to the side.


 

“W-What?” Chaeyeon shifted in place. “I said I fell down, didn’t I?”


 

Sakura shook her head lightly and smiled at her weak attempt to cover up. Chaeyeon was looking everywhere else other than her. It was obviously a lie.


 

“Jjaeyeon-ah…” Sakura whispered and took a step forward to hug the taller.


 

“Ow.” Chaeyeon flinched at Sakura’s contact.


 

Sakura pulled back, staring at the younger. Chaeyeon obviously hoped that Sakura didn’t catch her whimper but she did.


 

“You’re hurt.” Sakura claimed rather than asked.


 

Without warning, Sakura pulled Chaeyeon by her wrist. Chaeyeon stared at the back of Sakura’s head anxiously. The older seemed to be really pissed off.


 

“W-Where are we going?” Chaeyeon stuttered.


 

Sakura didn’t reply but soon stopped. The sign on the door read ‘Infirmary’. The shorter knocked twice before opening the door, leading the two of them in.


 

“You’re here again!” The doctor said.


 

“Yes. Truth is-”


 

Chaeyeon clamped her hand over Sakura’s mouth, causing the doctor to look at them suspiciously.


 

“Truth is… I’m really clumsy and fall often.” Chaeyeon said in a rush before seating herself down. “Sorry for the trouble, Miss Son.”


 

Son? Sakura thought. It wasn’t a common family name. Where did she hear it from? Why was this woman so familiar? Then it suddenly hit Sakura.


 

Wendy Son.


 

Irene’s human and lover.


 

“Saku-chan?” Chaeyeon called.


 

The girl turned her attention to Chaeyeon who was lying face down on the bed.


 

“Can you help me inform Eunbi?”


 

“I did.” Sakura patted Chaeyeon’s head. “Both of us are going home today and you are going to tell me what happened.”


 

Chaeyeon made a sound in protest but could only shut up when Sakura glared at her.


 

“Thank you.” Chaeyeon bowed to the doctor when she was done with the clean up.


 

Sakura gently held the taller’s back as they walked out of the infirmary, making their way back to their apartment. The trip was a silent one, with occasional giggles from Chaeyeon. Sakura was confused at what she was laughing about, but soon realised that her tensed face created a humorous masterpiece.


 

“I’ll get water for you.” The angel said as she got Chaeyeon to lie on her bed. “Don’t move around.”


 

Chaeyeon smiled at the kindness Sakura was showing. It was definitely right for her to get a roommate. An extra company was all Chaeyeon needed in her life. Especially if it was Sakura.


 

“So, care to explain?” Sakura handed her the cup and took a seat on the edge of the bed. “This isn’t the first time.”


 

“Right.” Chaeyeon replied with a chuckle.


 

How can she still laugh about it?


 

“Relax, Saku-chan.” Chaeyeon said, a hand down Sakura’s arm. “I’m just happy that you are here for me.”


 

Sakura scoffed and looked away, in pretense of being annoyed but truthfully, she just wanted to hide her red face.


 

“Who was it?”


 

“I’m not sure…” Chaeyeon finally revealed. “I think it was a transfer student. This is the second time.”


 

“Transfer?” Sakura probed.


 

“I think… Japanese?” Chaeyeon said.


 

Japanese? Why would a Japanese transfer student do that to Chaeyeon?


 

“I caught sight of her name plate though.” Chaeyeon mumbled. “I think it read Ju… I’m not sure.”


 

Chaeyeon seems to be really exhausted. Imagine if Sakura didn’t find her and Chaeyeon went for dance practice. It would be a hell session.


 

“Okay. Let’s get you some rest.” Sakura hummed as she tucked Chaeyeon into bed. “I’ll wake you when dinner’s ready.”


 

Chaeyeon nodded and cuddled into the thick blanket.


 

“Thanks, Saku-chan.” The younger mumbled before fluttering her eyelids shut.


 

Sakura went back to her own room and pondered. Who exactly would do that? A solo bully who was also a Japanese transferee? Ju… Right. There was only one person who fit the criterias exactly.


 

Jurina.


 

Why hadn’t Sakura thought of her when she obviously saw Kaeun meeting her? Sakura didn’t need to ask. It was definitely something unpleasant. But never did she imagine that it was to hurt Chaeyeon.


 

Damn her.