002 || Precious Today

Feathers [앞으로 잘 부탁해]
 
 

Sakura didn’t know how she ended up in the position she was right now. Everything happened so fast.

 

Chaeyeon was sitting on her lap.

 

“Do I know you?” The owner said before stepping aside. “Before that, please come in while I get something for you to eat.”

 

Sakura could only stare at the younger blankly. Her mind wasn’t working the way she wanted it to. She never thought that she would freeze up the moment she met Chaeyeon.

 

“Ahem.” Irene cleared , making her presence known. “I’m here as well.”

 

Sakura blushed. Irene must have figured out that she was interested in Chaeyeon. Well only an idiot wouldn’t after witnessing the high tensioned stare that Sakura gave Chaeyeon.

 

“Ah!” Chaeyeon shifted her gaze to Irene. “Irene unnie! Come in as well.”

 

Irene smiled at the cute girl and shook her head gently, indicating that she wasn’t here to stay. Before she left, she gestured to Sakura and gave Chaeyeon a teasing wink.

 

“So…” Chaeyeon laughed nervously. “Are you just going to stand there? Or do you want to come in?”

 

“S-Sure…” The girl muttered and followed Chaeyeon into the house.

 

It was way too dangerous. How could Chaeyeon just let any stranger into her house? Let alone offering food to the hungry girl. She hasn’t even introduced herself.

 

“I’m Sakura.”

 

“Cherry blossoms?” Chaeyeon let out a small chuckle, warming Sakura’s heart. “That’s a perfect name for a beautiful girl like you.”

 

Sakura flushed red. She was definitely relieved that Chaeyeon was distracted by the microwave oven. The girl had placed some leftover pizza to heat for Sakura’s consumption.

 

“Wrong move unnie!” A tall girl appeared out of nowhere. “Watch and learn.”

 

Chaeyeon lifted her right eyebrow in suspicion, unsure of what Yujin was talking about.

 

“Did it hurt when you fell from the Heavens?” The newcomer said as she placed her hand on Sakura’s chin charmingly.

 

Sakura flinched a little. It wasn’t possible that the girl knew about her real identity. She was literally a stranger. Unless she was a guardian angel as well. But she looks too young to be one, despite being the tallest one.

 

“Yujin!” Chaeyeon groaned as she took out the freshly microwaved pizza from her oven. “Sorry this is all I can offer.”

 

“Thank you.” Sakura chuckled at the other’s reddened face. “And it sure hurted when I fell to the ground earlier.”

 

The taller girl just laughed in amusement as Sakura played along to her joke.

 

“I’m Yujin.”

 

“Sakura.” The angel said.

 

“And I’m Yena!” Another girl popped up behind the kitchen doors.

 

“Kids.” Chaeyeon rolled her eyes as Sakura tried to stifle her laughter. “I can’t believe Yena is older than me.”

 

Sakura laughed heartily at the warm scene that played before her. Chaeyeon seemed to be happy the way she was, Sakura didn’t even need to do her job. With Yujin and Yena around, Chaeyeon was definitely not going to be lonely.

 

“Where’s my pizza?” Yena whined when she saw Sakura taking a huge bite into what seemed to be Yena’s portion of the leftover.

 

“It’s not our fault that you spent an hour in the toilet doing God knows what!” Yujin laughed. “Besides, the pretty lady was as hungry as you whenever Yuri’s around.”

 

Yena grunted at the terrible joke her dear friend decided to make in front of a stranger. It wasn’t her fault that Yuri was too dense to notice her love. And Yena on the other hand was too much of a coward to confess.

 

“Hey! I’m your unnie!” Yena shouted. “Do something about it, Chaeyeon!”

 

Chaeyeon just snickered.

 

Sakura laughed softly as she continued to eat her pizza while watching the three friends debate.

 

“Chaeyeon!” The duck-like girl pouted and gave Chaeyeon a playful push.

 

It was either Chaeyeon who was weak, or Yena who was too strong. Chaeyeon stumbled from the impact of the push and tripped on Sakura’s legs. The poor girl ended up sitting on Sakura’s lap.

 

Sakura's brain just stopped working at that moment. Chaeyeon was seated on her lap. Neither of them moved as they looked at each other in shock and embarrassment. Sakura felt her heart skip a beat. A wave of indescribable happiness overcame Sakura as she tried her best to look away from Chaeyeon.

 

Right as Chaeyeon wanted to get off the other, Yujin playfully snapped a photo of them in that unexplainable position. Yena and Yujin snickered before rushing out of the apartment, fearing for their lives.

 

“Bye Chaeyeon!” Yena shouted from the door. “Have fun!”

 

Chaeyeon blushed at the older’s words before jumping off Sakura completely, leaving at least a metre between the two of them.

 

Yena was going to be dead when Chaeyeon saw her the next time. What did she mean ‘have fun’?! It was already embarrassing enough to be seated on Sakura’s lap. Yet Yena had to add on, making Chaeyeon more embarrassed.

 

“S-Sorry I-” The younger was at a loss for words.

 

It was terribly rude of her to be so intimate with someone she has just met. Chaeyeon wasn’t a fan of skinship, neither did she dislike it. However, whatever contact she made with Sakura gave off sparks, as if it burnt.

 

Sakura seemed to stop her panicking and let out a low chuckle as she witnessed Chaeyeon’s face grow redder every passing second. Despite that, Sakura grew a bitter thought. Was it bad for Chaeyeon to sit on her lap? Sakura couldn’t but let her mind wonder about Chaeyeon’s feelings towards the incident.

 

“It is fine Jjaeyon.” Sakura giggled at the cute panicking girl. “You’re cute.”

 

Sakura wanted to slap herself for letting her thoughts slip out. Luckily for her, Chaeyeon didn’t seem to be against it and instead just blushed a little and laughed it off. The younger joked back, giving a slight nudge to Sakura’s right shoulder.

 

Well, two can play at this game. Chaeyeon thought.

 

“So would you like to tell me, why is a pretty girl like you wandering around with an empty stomach?”

 

Chaeyeon smirked in victory when it became Sakura’s turn to blush.

 

“I-I” The words were stuck at Sakura’s throat as she nervously played with her fingers. “I was looking for a place to stay and…”

 

Sakura couldn’t possibly tell her that she forgot to eat because angels don’t feel hungry. She was embarrassed when her stomach growled and hated herself for not having breakfast before she left Heaven.

 

“And you met Irene unnie?” Chaeyeon completed.

 

“Yes. When I was looking at your flier that is.” Sakura finally said.

 

“Okay.” The blonde answered. “So how do you like this place?”

 

Sakura contemplated for a while, not wanting Chaeyeon to be suspicious of her. Money wasn’t the problem. Sakura just needed a background story for herself.

 

“I like it so far.” Sakura replied. “Are… they your roommates too?”

 

The cherry blossom girl knew that they weren't staying here. But Chaeyeon didn’t know she knew. And she didn’t have to know.

 

“Yujin and Yena?” Chaeyeon asked.

 

Sakura nodded slightly and arched her right brow in question of Chaeyeon’s accusing tone.

 

“Of course not!”

 

Sakura chuckled at the almost immediate reaction. It was as if Chaeyeon was afraid of scaring the girl off. Yena and Yujin often frightened Chaeyeon’s friends whenever they visited. There was an instance where Chaeyeon’s cousin, Yuri, visited and was traumatised by the duo. But all is well and in fact, Yena and Yuri ended up dating.

 

Sakura didn’t find the two of them scary. In fact, she found them endearing.

 

“Aw what a pity!” Sakura said. “They look like my potential gaming partners.”

 

That took Chaeyeon by surprise.

 

Most of her friends found Yujin and Yena too rowdy and noisy and usually stayed away from them. It was the first time Chaeyeon heard someone say that they were interested in them. And that they would be great friends together.

 

A smile crept upon Chaeyeon’s face as she stared at Sakura. Chaeyeon didn’t know what she was feeling at this moment. But her new roommate was willing to be friends with her friends. To be involved in her life. It was definitely a good sign.

 

One thing Chaeyeon feared when she put up her fliers was that it would attract roommates that kept to themselves and didn’t want to interact much. Chaeyeon’s sole purpose of wanting a roommate was to get rid of her loneliness, seeing as the apartment was too huge for a person to live in by herself.

 

Sakura seemed to fit the bill perfectly.

 

“Jjaeyon.” Sakura called for her attention. “When will I be able to move in?”

 

“Anytime.”

 

“Okay!” Sakura clasped her hands together in excitement. “Where will I be sleeping?”

 

Chaeyeon was taken aback by Sakura’s sudden request. Surely she wasn’t expecting a housemate this soon. And not to mention, the extra room was not ready yet. Sakura didn’t even bring any baggage with her.

 

“The room…” Chaeyeon started. “It is yet to be ready.”

 

Sakura knew.

 

And she had totally forgotten about it.

 

“It’s alright!” Chaeyeon panicked when disappointment filled the older’s face. “Y-You can take my room for tonight.”

 

Red made its way up Sakura’s cheek when she realised that she would be spending the night on Chaeyeon’s bed. That was definitely too embarrassing for Sakura.

 

“Where would you be sleeping then?”

 

“If you don’t mind… we can share the bed.” The blonde started nervously. “If not I can always take the couch.”

 

Sakura turned to look at the only couch in the main room. It sure seemed comfortable, but only for sitting and not sleeping. It was a little too short to accommodate Chaeyeon’s body.

 

The cherry blossom girl nodded meekly before following Chaeyeon into her room.

 

“It’s cold isn’t it?” Chaeyeon tried to start a conversation. “You aren’t wearing any extra layers.”

 

“A-Ah…” Sakura wanted to facepalm herself.

 

Angels experience emotions like humans when they live on Earth. However, their tolerance to heat and cold are way higher than humans. Sakura was probably way too excited that she forgot about it.

 

“I… I have nothing.” Sakura said. “Other than money, that is!”

 

Chaeyeon laughed when Sakura walked into her back as she stopped walking. Sakura was too engrossed in their conversation that she wasn’t paying attention to where she was walking.

 

“Where is it then?” Chaeyeon challenged playfully.

 

“Eh?” Sakura spoke like a legitimate Japanese. “It’s…”

 

Before Sakura could make a fool out of herself, Chaeyeon burst out in laughter and held the shorter’s shoulders for support. Making fun of the older seemed to have become a newly found hobby of Chaeyeon’s.

 

“I’m kidding.”

 

Sakura glared at the younger when she finished laughing. But Chaeyeon was totally not intimidated by her. She was unfazed. Sakura looked cute glaring at her.

 

“You must be tired.” Chaeyeon said. “Go get a warm shower and head to bed. I’ll lend you some of my pajamas.”

 

Sakura heeded the owner’s instructions and was soon settled down in the comfortable and warm bed. As the younger shifted into position beside her, Sakura took deep breaths to calm her racing heart.

 

Why was she feeling this?

 

She wasn’t supposed to fall for Chaeyeon. Sakura would like to deny and say she hasn’t, but no matter how hard she tried, she still couldn’t lie to herself.

 

Sakura was falling for Chaeyeon at an insanely fast pace.