Seven

Encounter
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Almost two weeks have already passed since Dara last met and talked to Jiyong at the man’s house. Somehow Dara feels miserable. She wants to contact Jiyong, but doesn’t know what she will say. She wants to ask Seunghyun, but doesn’t know what she will ask.

Dara walks aimlessly around the campus. She walks from building to building, from her class to the library, from the library to the hall, and finally she stops at the campus garden. Sitting on a long bench under a tree, she takes out her phone and stares at it.

Why isn’t he calling? But really, why does he have to call? Dara shakes her head and takes another breath. Why isn’t he calling?

Dara gasps at the sound of Bom who is already standing behind her. “What?” she asked Bom.

Bom sits next to her. Her face looks cheerful as usual. “You asked why he didn’t call. Who do you mean?”

Apparently without realizing, she had voiced out her mind. This means danger. Why is she being like this?

“Ah, no. No one,” Dara said, forcing laughter.

“I hope it isn’t Minho,” Bom said sarcastically.

Dara immediately waves her hand. “No! Not him.”

“Good,” said Bom. She raises her hand and takes a deep breath. “Haa… the weather today is beautiful!”

Dara looks at the sky, then glances at her best friend carefully. “Bom,” she called.

Bom turns around. “Hm?”

“Kwon Jiyong’s new album has been released, right?”

Bom nods. “Right, a few days ago. So what? Don’t you already have it? We already got it during the fan meeting.”

Dara shakes her head. “Ah, nothing.” She pauses for a moment, then continues, “That means he’s been very busy lately, huh?”

Her best friend nods once again and says, “Of course. I heard some time ago he’s busy shooting a music video. Not to mention the fact that he has to appear in many programs to promote his album.” Bom applauds happily. “We will often see him on television.”

Apparently he is very very busy…

“Magazines also write many articles about him,” Bom added excitedly. “They discussed the album, the songs, and they also began to bring up and talk about his girlfriend.”

Dara looks at her friend. “What did they say?”

Bom frowns. “Many. They asked about the existence of the woman, her identity, and so on. I’m also curious myself. In a nutshell, they suddenly doubted whether she is really Jiyong’s girlfriend.”

“Why do they doubt it?”

“Because the woman wasn’t seen in the media since the photos appeared. Even just her whereabouts is unknown,” Bom explained. “They began to think that maybe Jiyong’s relationship with that woman was over. Frankly, I also hope it’s true. Oh yes, they also brought up the incident four years ago.”

“Which incident...?”

“Exactly what I told you at that time. Incident four years ago when there’s Jiyong’s fan who died after the fan meeting. Do you remember it? Fortunately, this year’s event went smoothly and there’s no bad incident.”

Dara looks up at the blue sky and is busy with her own thoughts while her best friend continues to talks. Suddenly her phone rings. Dara hurriedly answers and her expression changes. “Oh, Minho-ssi.”

***

Seunghyun sits thoughtfully in his office. At his table there are several magazines open on the page that contained articles of Jiyong. He had guessed there will be an event like this. As soon as Jiyong’s new album comes out, people will be busy talking about his artist. Not only the songs, but all the issues related to Jiyong, including issue about his mysterious girlfriend. They even mentioned the accident four years ago, but fortunately it was only a glance, so it should be fine.

Seunghyun rubs his chin and thinks maybe it’s time they need Dara’s help again. This time, inevitably the girl must be willing to show up. He lifts the telephone on the table and presses a few buttons.

“Hello, Dara. How are you? This is Choi Seunghyun … Do you have time now? … Good. Can you come to my office? … Okay, see you later.”

***

“As I said, it seems like we don’t match.”

Dara looks at the tall man sitting before her feeling tired. Minho looks sad. He just admitted to Dara that he and his girlfriend are having a problem.

“We don’t match,” Minho repeated his words and looks at Dara, waiting for her reaction.

Dara laughs bitterly. “And you just found out after almost a year with her?”

“Are you still angry?” asked Minho in a guilty voice.

Dara takes a breath. “Not really,” she said. “Being angry is also useless.”

“No, you have the right to be angry with me,” Minho muttered softly. “I was wrong. Now I’m aware.”

Dara frowned. “Then?”

“It looks like I can’t continue our relationship,” said Minho firmly.

Dara’s eyebrows rise. For a moment she is confused, then she hears her phone rings. Feeling relieved that she doesn’t have to respond to what Minho had just said, Dara quickly answers the call.

“Hello?”

She is shocked when she hears Seunghyun’s voice on the other side. “Oh, I’m fine, ahjussi? … Now? Yes, I’m not busy … Okay, I’m going there now … See you later.”

Dara ends the call and looks at Minho who looks at her with a probing look.

“Do you want to go now?” He asked when he saw Dara hurriedly finishes her drink.

“Sorry, Minho-ssi. Something came up. I have to go. Let’s just continue next time,” Dara said quickly, then gets up and leaves the cafe.

***

“We will go to see Jiyong,” Seunghyun told the girl sitting in front of him.

Dara nods. “We have to be photographed again?”

“Yes,” Seunghyun agreed. “Therefore we have to change your appearance. You don’t want to be recognized, right?” Then Seunghyun gets up from his chair and grabs his suit.

“So when do we start to work?” Dara asked.

Seunghyun looks at Dara and says, “Right now.”

Dara is rather surprised. “Oh, now?” She isn’t ready.

“Yes, is there a problem?” asked the man while wearing his suit and fixing the position of the tie.

Dara shakes her head. “No.” It seems like she can’t help but have to prepare herself right now.

“Come on, let’s go,” Seunghyun said, starting to walk to the door. “Right now Jiyong is being interviewed. We will go to the interview location, but before that we have to give you a new appearance.”

Seunghyun feels bad because he has to hide something from Dara, but he has no choice. If Dara knows, chances are that she won’t be willing to meet Jiyong and at this time Seunghyun doesn’t have enough time to convince her.

He takes Dara to a clothing store that also has salon and tells the girl to try on some clothes. She doesn’t want Dara to look outstanding. He wants Dara to be as simple as possible so she doesn’t stand out and no one can recognize her. He also asks the hair stylist to bind Dara’s hair.

With bun hair, a plain cream sleeveless shirt, and the same plain skirt, Dara looks like a woman older than she really is. Just like what Seunghyun imagined. As a final touch, he holds out tanned glasses that could disguise Dara’s face.

“Okay,” Seunghyun said, satisfied. “We’re leaving now. Jiyong’s interview will be finished soon.”

***

Jiyong gets up from the sofa he had been sitting and shakes hands with the cameramen and reporters who interviewed him. He is a little tired, but he knows this has become a risk for his job. The reporters also had time to ask about his relationship with his mysterious lover, but Jiyong only gave a vague answer. There were also those who brought up the incident four years ago. Jiyong managed to respond calmly, even though he had to admit in his heart that his feelings were still somewhat restless if reminded again about the incident.

Jiyong and several staff members come out of the elevator and walk to the main door of the building where the interview was held. Suddenly his steps stop when his gaze pierces through the wide glass door and sees a woman coming down from the white car. Jiyong is stunned for a moment, then he accelerates his pace, pushes the glass door open and approaches the woman.

“What are you doing here?” He asked without further ado.

The woman turns and is rather surprised to see him.

“What are you doing here?” Jiyong asked once again. He doesn’t expect to meet Dara here. He looks at Dara sharply and sees the girl’s cheeks flushed slightly.

“That… Ahjussi told me to come here,” Dara tried to explain rather confusedly. “You don’t know? He said we’ll be photographed again.”

Jiyong looks back and sees a crowd of reporters starting to approach them quickly.

“No,” he answered. “Follow me.”

He embraces Dara’s shoulder and walks away when flashes of the camera’s blitz begin to take action and reporters are competing to ask questions.

“Jiyong, who is this woman?”

“Is she the mysterious woman in the photos at that time?”

“Miss! What’s your name?”

“What’s your relationship?”

“Can you give a little comment?”

Jiyong just raises a hand and guides Dara to his car parked not far from there. He opens the car door for Dara while trying to prevent the reporters from taking a clear picture of the girl. He watches as Dara keeps looking down and covering her face with one hand. Jiyong quickly closes the door and walks around his car to the driver’s seat. Before getting in the car, he smiles and waves once again at the reporters.

After they are far away from that place, Jiyong glances at Dara and asking, “Are you okay?”

Dara removes her glasses and lets out a sigh of annoyance. “Ahjussi said we’ll be photographed. What photograph? It ends up like th

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter