Five

Encounter
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“How lucky we are that we can get this ticket. Our seats are in the front row! You know, the tickets have been sold out in half an hour! But I don’t think that’s new. It’s been four years since Kwon Jiyong hasn’t released an album, so I’m sure the album this time must be great,” Bom said while kissing the tickets to Kwon Jiyong’s fan meeting. “Do I have to call Mr. Yang and say thank you?”

“Ah, you don’t have to. I already thank him,” Dara said quickly.

Seunghyun fulfilled his promise and gave Dara two tickets. Of course Dara immediately invited Bom and therefore she had to fabricate a story about the origin of the ticket. She said to Bom that Mr. Yang gave the ticket to her because she had finished the task perfectly. Seriously! If Mr. Yang has been that good to people, his name is definitely not Mr. Yang. However, it’s good that Bom isn’t suspicious at all of the story.

They arrive at the venue for the fan meeting and see hundreds of teenage girls huddling at the entrance. It turns out that Kwon Jiyong’s loyal fans are a lot. They carry large banners, balloons, and cardboards with Kwon Jiyong’s name. Dara still doesn’t understand why those people are so crazy about Kwon Jiyong even though she has spent time with that guy this past week. She wonders if she will find it strange to see Kwon Jiyong standing on the stage and singing.

“This time they limit the number of attendances,” said Bom. “The previous fan meeting was far more crowded.”

Dara looks away from the crowd of Kwon Jiyong’s fans to her best friend. “Is it true?”

Bom nods firmly. “Of course. I also came to his last fan meeting. Wow, it’s insane. You can’t imagine it. At that time I was having difficulty in breathing. No wonder that many of his fans fell unconscious on the show, one even died. I once told you, right? Do you remember it?”

Dara nods and ponders. “I’ve heard of that incident, but since I haven’t attended an event like this, I don’t know what the atmosphere is like.”

Bom smiles and takes Dara’s arm. “Although the number of attendances has been reduced, I’m sure they remain wild. You’ll be able to feel the atmosphere later. Oh yeah, Kwon Jiyong still remembers you, right?”

Dara looks at her in surprise. “You mean?”

Bom clicks her tongue. “Didn’t you get to visit his house at that time? Didn’t he even drive you? Hey, just remind him! During the album signing later, say that you have met him. After that we can definitely chat longer. Okay? You have to draw his attention to us.”

“What? Didn’t I say I don’t want people to know that I met him that night?” Dara said. “I don’t want to be involved in that kind of scandal.” Oh yes, she knows very well that this is the opposite of her decision to help Jiyong.

“Then it doesn’t need to be blatant. You can give hints that can make it— “

“Yah, Park Bom! Never mind, let’s just go in,” Dara cut in as she quickly pulled her best friend's hand into the building.

***

The event begins and Jiyong appears accompanied by the screams of his fans. Dara is somewhat surprised because Jiyong’s fans are really full of enthusiasm and their screams are amazing. Bom also screams and wags the balloon she held hard. Seeing her best friend like that, Dara joins in cheering and screaming even though her voice is clearly not heard between the shouts of other fans who are more expert in this matter. Dara sees Jiyong standing in front of the audience while smiling broadly and waving hand. The man is wearing a black shirt, white jacket, black trousers, and a black daisy scarf he had bought with Dara.

Then Jiyong starts singing and Dara lets herself be influenced by the hyper Jiyong’s fans. She joins in shouting and waves the balloons like Bom. Dara admits that Jiyong’s voice is really good, so she doesn’t have time to think about whether it really feels strange to see the man on the stage.

Jiyong sings all the songs from his new album, with brief conversations with the audience in between. His fans keeps screaming for fun. The next is the album signing. Dara and Bom then stand in line.

Dara sees fans one by one shaking Jiyong’s hand and smiling happily. There are also those who are crying so excited. Jiyong’s friendly smile never escapes his face. Sometimes he talks short and jokes for a while with some fans. Dara wonders if he isn’t feeling tired.

When Dara and Bom’s turn is almost there, Dara can hear the conversation between Jiyong and his fans. Generally the fans will praise the appearance and song, then Jiyong will reply politely and friendly, after which he will ask the name of the fan and put an autograph on the album, poster, or whatever he is offered.

As Dara finally stands in front of Jiyong, the man doesn’t look surprised when he saw her. Dara tries to act like most of Jiyong’s other fans and hands him her Kwon Jiyong’s album she just bought.

“Jiyong Oppa, I like your song,” Dara said excitedly. She doesn’t care about Bom who keeps on nudging her.

She hears Jiyong coughing softly and writing his autograph on the front cover of the album he is offered. Then with his usual smile, he returns the album to Dara. Dara immediately grabs and squeezes Jiyong’s hand that sticks out the album, making the man rather surprised.

“Thank you, Jiyong Oppa. I love you,” she exclaimed happily. In her mind, she bursts out laughing at the expression on his face.

As she walks back to her seat, Dara sees Seunghyun standing not so far from Jiyong. Seunghyun also sees her. Dara bows slightly to greet Seunghyun with a smile and thumbs up. Surely that one fine ahjussi had seen the small scene.

After the signing event is over, the host announces that Jiyong will be giving out special gifts to ten lucky fans.

“Wow! He wants to gifts us! What’s that?” Bom is so excited that she doesn’t stop moving in her seat.

“Beanie,” Dara answered unconsciously.

Jiyong, who is standing next to the host, says he will give ten beanies that he had bought himself. Bom’s head immediately turns towards Dara.

“How do you know?” she asked suspiciously.

Dara becomes troubled and hurriedly says, “Just guess. Usually artist likes to give beanie or hat. If not, it’s a key chain or brooch.”

Bom smiles. “Maybe you’re right. He once gave a brooch gift to his fans. Unfortunately at that time I didn’t get it.”

The beanie are given to lucky fans who are qualified. For example, when the host asked who bring the first official Kwon Jiyong poster, or fans who come fro

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter