One

Encounter
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Now I’m still on the road… Mm, just come home from work… I also know it’s ten o’clock now… Yes, eighteen minutes past ten… Whatever.”

Dara walks slowly. One hand holds a phone up to her ear, and the other hand is swinging around her little red handbag. She exhales exaggeratedly and frowns. Currently the last person she wants to talk to is Lee Minho, but the man even calls her and acts like a protective boyfriend.

“Minho, please. I’m so tired,” Dara interrupted Minho’s words and immediately hangs up. Again, she exhales a long breath, then stares at her phone irritably.

Why are there many unpleasant problems today? This morning she had a problem with one of the company’s clients, then she was scolded by her boss, and finally she had to work overtime until this late. Dara is getting annoyed when she remembers what she had been through all day. However, she is too tired to be angry. All the bones in her body hurt and her brain couldn’t be told to think anymore.

This is not the first time Dara has to work until late at night, but today she has already decided to stop working for that fashion designer. Her job really takes her time and energy so there is no more energy left to concentrate on her class in the morning.

She stops walking and sighs. “I can go crazy,” she murmured to herself.

Dara looks around her. The city of Seoul still hasn’t shown any signs of sleep. Buildings along the way seems to be racing to illuminate the entire city, persuading people to enjoy the beauty of summer night’s atmosphere in the amazing capital of South Korea. Even though she had lived in Seoul for years, Dara is still amazed with this city. The clock actually shows ten o’clock, but the streets are still filled with pedestrians and passing cars. She can smell the food from the Japanese restaurant in the front, hear the disco song faintly from the music store besides her, and even hear voices of people talking, shouting, and laughing.

Suddenly Dara feels a headache. Then her gaze stops at the snacks shop across the street. After pondering for a moment, she nods and mutters, “Alright,” as if giving up on the debate she was doing with herself.

Dara crosses the road at a fast pace, as fast as a pair of legs that haven’t rested for the past eight hours possible, and enters the shop. After greeting the shop’s owner whom she has long known, Dara immediately walks to the chips rack.

“Well, Dara, what’s the problem in the office?” asked the shop’s owner after seeing five large packs of potato chips Dara had placed at the counter.

Dara smiles shyly. “Ah, nothing, Mrs. Han. I’m just a little bit stressed.” She opens her handbag and looks for the wallet. Crap! Where is the wallet?

“Wait a minute, Mrs. Han. I’m very sure that I put my wallet inside my bag…” Dara rummages through the contents of her handbag, then spills all of the contents onto the cashier counter. Now, besides five packs of potato chips, there is her phone, a small comb, a little shabby note book, a pen whose lid is gone, compact powder, lip gloss, key, folding umbrella, three coins, a red handkerchief, two shopping receipt sheets, empty candy wrap, and hair clip.

“Why isn’t it here?” Dara muttered to herself while continuing to search. Left at home? This means that all day she did not realize she was not carrying a wallet?

She then hears a phone ring. Dara glances at her phone lying on the cashier counter. Oh, it’s not her phone that rings.

“Have you arrived home? … Yes, I will be there soon.”

Dara turns towards the low-pitched voice and it belongs to a man in a black suit standing behind her. Apparently the phone ring before was from the man’s phone. Now Dara sees the man closes his phone and put it in the pocket of his pants. One hand holds a small basket of four bottles of soju. The man looks young, maybe he is in his late twenties or early thirties. His face is handsome and his appearance is as neat as someone who has important position in a big company.

The man looks at Dara, then smiles politely. O-oh. It’s the first time Dara sees a smile that is so attractive. His smile makes her tiredness disappear with no trace. His smile is very charming, very…

Dara shakes her head to clear her mind and returns to focus on the items scattered on the counter.

All of a sudden, Dara feels her hand patted. She lifts her face and sees Mrs. Han smiles at her and says, “Dara, how about the gentleman pays for his purchase first?”

Dara looks at Mrs. Han, then turns towards the man standing behind her. “Oh, yes. Sorry.” Dara steps aside and the man steps forward.

“How much?” the man asked, placing the basket he is holding on the counter.

For the second time, the man’s phone makes a loud noise which causes Dara’s head begins to hurt like being stabbed. She is so dead tired and now the sound of the phone almost makes her lose control.

The man pulls the phone out of his pants’ pocket and glances at it briefly. Then he takes out a different phone, it turns out that the second phone is ringing loudly.

Gosh, answer the damn phone quickly! One phone has made me dizzy, why should he has two? Dara thought as she massages her temples.

The man pays for his soju while still talking on the phone, then walks to the door. Suddenly he turns around and takes the other phone that has been placed at the counter. “Sorry,” he murmured with a smile to Mrs. Han and Dara.

That smile again, a smile that can warm even a frozen heart.

Wait, what were those words? Dara closes her eyes hard and when she opens her eyes again, the man has walked out and gets in the white car parked in front of the shop.

Since Dara still can't find her wallet, Mrs. Han allows her to pay tomorrow. Dara reassembles her belongings which are strewn on the counter while repeatedly bowing deeply as a gratitude as well as an apology.

Once out of the shop, Dara immediately opens a packet of potato chips and begins to eat. “Now go home,” she said to herself.

Right after she finishes saying that, her phone rings. At that moment she condemns the day the phone was created. Actually she doesn’t want to answer her phone because she feels she has to save energy for the trip home, but the object that doesn’t know itself keeps screaming for answer. Finally Dara gives up and furiously rummages through her handbag to find the damn phone before she herself will scream hysterically in the middle of the street.

“Helloo!” Dara wants to be angry, but her voice actually sounds desperate.

There is no answer from the other end. Is the person mute or what?

“Hello? Who is this? Please talk… Hello? HELLOO?”

Dara is just about to cut the line when there is a sound of a doubtful man on the other side.

“Sorry ... isn’t this Kwon Jiyong’s phone?”

Who is this person?

“You dialed the wrong number. This is Sandara Park’s phone,” Dara said curtly and immediately closes the phone.

Dara looks at her phone while biting her lower lip full of resentment. “Can’t you let me calm down a little?” She is about to pull out the phone’s battery when she feels she has to call her mother to tell her she would be home soon. Even though Dara lives in Seoul and her parents are in San Francisco, they often call and check their whereabouts. Earlier her mother had already called to ask why Dara had not arrived home.

She opens her phone again and presses the number one which will be directly connected to her parents’ house in San Francisco, but she is surprised to see the words on her phone screen after she pressed the number. Not the words “SF House” which are listed as usual, but the name “Choi Seunghyun”. Dara quickly hangs up and is stunned.

Dara watches the phone she is holding. Indeed it’s her phone, at least the shape and color are exactly the same as her phone. She opens the contact lists on the phone and gawks at names she doesn’t recognize. Her tired brain is forced to think.

Earlier in Mrs. Han’s shop, all her items were scattered on the cashier counter , including her phone. When the phone of the man standing behind her rang for the first time, she thought her own phone was ringing because their phone’s ringtone were the same. Then the men’s other phone rang. The man put his first phone on the counter and took out the second phone. So, on the cashier counter there were his phone and Dara’s phone.

Dara remembers that the shape of the man’s phone that was placed on the table was indeed the same as her phone. Before leaving the shop, the man turned to take his first phone left on the counter. Now Dara holds the phone with a list of names she doesn't know. Her brain begins to be able to digest what is happening. Meaning… means… that person has taken the wrong phone. The man took Dara’s phone.

Dara hits her chest and groans desperately. “Now what? Ouch, I’m going crazy. Crazy.” She looks right and left. The man’s car is out of sight. Dara feels her body almost collaps

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter