Two

Encounter
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Your song is really good?”

Dara who sits cross-legged on the bed with a blanket wrapped around her body staring at Park Bom who sits next to her. Her best friend who has long straight hair stretched across the shoulder stares back at Dara with both hands folded on her chest.

“I can’t believe you only say that. Why not ask for an autograph?” Bom continues in an accusing tone.

Dara groans. “Maybe because yesterday I was super upset and tired... and my brain was paralyzed.” She holds her pale cheeks and shakes her head. “Right, it looks like my brain has really been paralyzed last night. How could I get into a car with two men I don’t know? And it was almost midnight. Gosh, what have I done? I’m not someone like that. No, no. I'm crazy. Thank God I’m still lucky. What if something happens yesterday?”

Bom clicks her tongue. “Hey, you are not with strangers. You are with Kwon Jiyong. Why don’t you ask for an autograph?” She asked once again, a thick tone of regret heard.

“Kwon Jiyong is a stranger to me,” Dara said firmly. “Besides, you know that I’m not his fan, why should I ask for an autograph?”

“Even though you are not his fan, you know that your best friend here is a big fan,” Bom scolds her again while pressing her palm to her chest. “I have been so loyal waiting for his appearance again for four years. At least you can ask for an autograph for me. Not everyone can meet Kwon Jiyong in person, you know? And yesterday, like a miracle, you met him, you talked to him, and he even drove you in his car.”

“His friend’s car,” corrected Dara. “His friend was also there.”

Bom ignores Dara. “You ride the car with him. Haah, if I were you, I would—”

“Park Bom!”

Bom’s attitude softens. “I know, I know. But next time if you meet him again, don’t forget to ask for an autograph for me.”

Dara lays down on the bed. “If I meet him again,” she murmured softly. Her gaze wanders. “If I meet him again.”

Bom fiddles with one end of Dara’s blanket and then suddenly drops, “Oh yeah, I heard Kwon Jiyong is actually gay. I don’t know whether the rumour is true or not, even though I can die because I’m disappointed if he is really gay. Yesterday, you met him in person. What do you think? How is his attitude? Does he look normal? Look different? Has his appearance changed after years of disappearing?”

Dara frowns and thinks. “I don’t know, I don’t feel anything strange about him. Ordinary. Ouch, I told you that yesterday my brain was paralyzed. I don’t even remember what clothes he wore.”

Bom looks at her friend’s concern. “You really are useless. You are the only one who can have fever in the summer like this. Does your head still hurt?”

Dara doesn’t answer the question. She is thinking about something else. Then she bits her lower lip and asks, “Bommie, what do you really like about Kwon Jiyong? Why are you so crazy about him?”

Bom’s smile expands. “Because he is handsome, funny, good at singing — oh, his voice is great — and because he writes songs that are so romantic and touching. Oh yes, his new album will be launched soon. Ah, I’m impatient.”

“So?”

Suddenly Bom squeals and makes Dara startled.

“Why? What’s up?” Dara asked as soon as she saw Bom grabs her bag that is lying on the floor roughly and begins to look for something inside.

“Stupid, stupid,” Bom muttered repeatedly. “I should know right away as soon as you told me.”

“What?” Dara asked in wonder.

Bom takes out the magazine and flips through the page. “Well, look at this.”

Dara sees the article titled “Midnight Meeting” that Bom showed and suddenly she shivers. The article features two photos of Kwon Jiyong with a woman. The woman’s face is not clearly visible, but Dara can certainly recognize herself. The woman with Kwon Jiyong in the photos is herself. God! What is this?

The first photo shows Dara and Jiyong coming out of the artist’s house. Dara’s head bowed when photographed so that her face was not visible. Dara remembers that Jiyong’s friend was still inside the house so he was not in the pictures.

The second photo was taken when Jiyong was opening the car door for her. Her figure was not clear because it was blocked by Jiyong’s body. Dara feels grateful that her face is not visible.

“I had forgotten this magazine when I heard you are sick,” Bom explained. “I should have guessed when you told me what you experienced last night, but strangely today my brain works very slowly. The woman in the photos is you, isn’t it?”

“Oh my God,” murmured Dara in disbelief. “Who took these photos?”

“Kwon Jiyong is a famous artist,” Bom said with a tone of i-know-it-all-so-just-believe-me. “Of course many reporters are busy looking for news about him. And this one is really great news. Here you are even written as Kwon Jiyong’s girlfriend.”

Dara shakes her head and returns the magazine to Bom. She still shivers, “I’m not alone with Kwon Jiyong. His friend is also with us. Anyone who took this photo should have known, but why is it like this?”

Bom takes a deep breath. “I told you, Kwon Jiyong is a famous artist. Magazines must look for news that can attract people’s attention. If all three of you are in the photos, there will be no news.”

Dara feels her body shivers. “Fortunately my face is not visible. Bommie, I hope you won’t tell anyone about my meeting with Kwon Jiyong.”

Bom’s eyebrows rise. “Why?”

Dara frowns and scratches her head. “They surely make rumour carelessly. Me? Her lover? I don’t want to get involved with matters like artist rumour.”

“Is your head still hurt?” asked Bom when she saw Dara is silent while holding her forehead.

Dara shakes her head and smiles. “No, I’m fine. It seems that because of exhaustion and stress, therefore a fever. But for now I’m fine, just go home and help your mother. Now it’s lunch time. Your mother’s restaurant must be crowded.”

“My mother is also worried about you, so I’m allowed to stay longer. Oh yes, my mother has cooked porridge for you. I put it in the kitchen earlier. You have to eat, understand?” Bom said, taking her bag on the floor. She puts her hand on Dara’s forehead and murmurs, “It’s not hot, but you still have to take medicine. Later this afternoon I will see you again. If there’s anything you need, call me.”

“You are the best, Bommie,” Dara said with a smile. “Say thank you to your mother for cooking porridge for me. Ah, no need. I better call her myself. Oh yeah, you have to remember, about my meeting with Kwon Jiyong last night, don’t tell anyone.”

“Yes, yes, I know. Calm down, just get plenty of rest. See you later,” Bom said before coming out of Dara’s room.

***

Jiyong stands near the large window of his manager’s office on the 20th floor of a skyscraper. He looks out the window with his hands in his pants’ pocket. He is not enjoying the sights of Seoul as he often does on ordinary days. This morning a magazine again posted an article commenting on his gay rumour. The rumour spreads at high speed. Soon he will definitely be asked for an explanation. Reporters will pursue him... ask him... demand his response. That’s the risk of becoming an artist. The bad memories of the past appear again. When reporters put forward thousands of questions endlessly, when he felt so frustrated and had to hide to calm down. Now, with the new rumour, the days of struggle will begin again... or has it actually begun?

“Oh, Jiyong, you’ve come.”

Jiyong is so busy with his own thoughts that he doesn’t realize his manager has entered the office.

Seunghyun walks to his desk and puts a blue folder on the table. “Have you waited long?”

Jiyong shakes his head and approaches the chair in front of the table. “Just arrived. Why do you ask me to come here early?”

Seunghyun drapes his jacket over the back of his chair and opens the folder he had placed on the table. He takes the magazine out of it and hands it to Jiyong.

Jiyong accepts the magazine that is offered in confusion, but as soon as he sees the article there, his expression changes. “What is this? How can they... This—”

Jiyong looks at his manager and the one who is being stared nods. “Right. These are the photos that were taken last night when we escorted the girl.”

Annoyed, Jiyong throws the magazine to the table. “Good, one rumour is still not enough.” He sits down and leans back in the chair. “How can they get these photos? Do you think the girl has something to do with this?”

The manager shakes his head slowly. “No. Even though there’s such possibility, but I don't think so.”

Jiyong rubs his chin while pondering. He has to admit that the girl yesterday couldn’t have anything to do with this rumor, but...

“That girl yesterday, Sandara Park... I have investigated her,” Seunghyun said as he hands Jiyong a piece of paper. He then continues, “She is in her last year of college and currently working part time in a fashion designer’s boutique. Her father is Korean and her mother is American. Her father is the head of a car company branch and her mother is a housewife. She is an only child, born in San Francisco and lived there until she was ten years old. Then because her father’s employment contract had been completed, their family moved to Seoul. Five years ago her parents moved back to San Francisco since her father was assigned again there, while she stayed in Seoul. Her background is clean and simple.”

Jiyong reads the writing on the paper he is holding and chuckles. “Where did you get all of these informations? Even her height and weight are there.”

Seunghyun just smiles and takes out another piece of paper from the map then begins to read, “According to people who know her well, Sandara Park is a kind and trustworthy woman. She doesn’t smoke, never gets drunk, doesn’t take drugs, and doesn’t have any criminal records. Therefore, I dare to conclude that she has nothing to do with the photos on the magazine.” Then he hands Jiyong the paper.

Jiyong accepts the paper offered by his manager.

Seunghyun sighs. “Although it must be admitted that indirectly, this new rumor has helped us,” he said.

Jiyong raises his face from the paper in his hand and looks at Seunghyun, waiting for the manager to explain the meaning of his words.

“Doesn’t this rumour by itself break your gay rumour? Those photos show you with a woman in front of your private house at a very suspicious time,” Seunghyun said with a big smile.

***

“I know you have asked permission not to come to work today because you are not feeling well, but I really need you now, Miss Park. Right now. We are very busy here, especially me, until I have almost no time to catch my breath. I was forced to ask you to come, Miss Park. Please come now. Please... You must not be seriously ill. If not, right now you must have been hospitalized instead of resting at home. Okay, Miss Park?”

Dara lays in bed with her phone on her ear. She listens to her boss’s words flowing like a flood at the other end with her eyes closed. She shouldn’t activate her phone today. Her boss shouldn’t contact her. Her boss shouldn’t act this way. Why are sick people asked to work? For God's sake, it’s Saturday. Dictator!

“Miss Park? Miss Park? Hellooo? Do you listen to me, Miss Park? I can’t talk for long, Miss Park. Very very busy. You will come, right?”

“Yes, yes, Mr. Yang. I see. I will get there in one hour,” Dara said lazily.

“You have half an hour to get to my studio, Miss Park,” the boss said before hanging up.

Dara looks at her phone with an angry heart. “Just look, you will receive my resignation letter on Monday. Dracula! Blood er! Hhh, I’m going crazy!”

While cursing, Dara forces herself to get up and walks to her wardrobe.

***

Forty-three minutes later, Dara is already standing in Mr. Yang’s studio, one of the most popular fashion designers in South Korea. The boss’s so-called studio is a messy workspace full of cloth with various patterns, both us

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter