Different

Paper Pieces
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

The sun was already glaring down at Hanbin’s face when he woke up. He shifted languidly to his side, eyes half open and peeked on the clock on his bedside table. It was almost ten o’clock. It was late but it did not bother him much, after all, it was Sunday. He let out a soft groan and pull his covers to shield his face from the sunlight and tried to fall asleep again. He was too tired because of their practice from this past two weeks and he needed all the rest he could get.

 

After a moment, Hanbin’s eyes snapped open as he shuffled through his bed. He glanced at the clock again to make sure he saw the time correctly. Something did not quite feel right for him.

 

Yunhyeong should have woken him up an hour ago. They have this unspoken routine where Yunhyeong would barge into their rooms shook both Hanbin and Jinhwan (mostly Hanbin) to wake them up and force them to eat his newly tried dishes. It started as just an annoying prank since Hanbin and Jinhwan love to sleep in but as it occurred regularly and timely it became a habit. Hanbin felt strangely bothered that it did not happen today.

 

He went out of his room and trudged straight to the kitchen. He was greeted by a sight of Jinhwan, who looked like he just finished his weekend jog, casually devouring a sandwich.

 

“Where’s Yunhyeong hyung?” Hanbin asked Jinhwan without any proceedings.

 

Jinhwan subtlety raised a brow to Hanbin, who looked so much more irritated than usual after waking up.

 

“Good morning to you too.” Jinhwan started. He gingerly took a sip from his drink as he organized his thoughts. Jinhwan already knew well what this will be all about.

 

“Hyung!” Hanbin crossed his arms, annoyed at Jihnwan’s lack of response on his question.

 

Jinhwan put down his sandwich and went fishing out another one out of the microwave and put it down on the table in front of Hanbin, gesturing him to sit.

 

Hanbin closed his eyes and exhaled. It was a habit he always did when he was trying to calm himself. He begrudgingly sat across Jinhwan and impatiently wait for Jinhwan to talk.

 

“He’s at Junhoe’s,” Jinhwan answered simply.

 

“This early? Why?” Hanbin frowned thinking what could be the possible reason why his hyung was there on a Sunday morning.

 

“Honestly, I don’t know.” Jinhwan’s eyes almost vanished as he laughed sheepishly.

 

Hanbin just stared at him tiredly. “Hyung, I’m not in the mood.”

 

Jinhwan rolled his eyes and sighed. Annoying Hanbin was not as fun as annoying Yunhyeong.

 

He regarded Hanbin for a moment, thinking about how to handle his friend’s demands. It was more of Yunhyeong’s expertise. He was telling the truth though, he really had no idea why Yunhyeong went over there. Yunhyeong was rushing over this morning after making sandwiches. He just gave Jinhwan a hasty greeting telling him he’ll be at Junhoe’s. Jinhwan did not bother to ask since it seemed it wasn’t anything serious and Yunhyeong looked so excited, something he hadn’t seen for a long time.

 

“I really don’t know, Hanbin-a.” Jinhwan watched as the disbelief on Hanbin’s face turned to frustration. He was unsure what Hanbin really want out of this conversation. “What’s the deal anyway? Shouldn’t you be glad that he didn’t yank your out of your bed today? You can sleep ‘til you want.”

 

Hanbin blinked a few times. He opened his mouth to reply but he could not think of anything to answer that, because Jinhwan had a good and solid point. By this time, he should just wave this conversation off, get up and drag himself back to the solace of his bedroom to sleep but he knew that it will be fruitless, right that instant he was fully awake and very much alert. He sat there feeling weirdly agitated and wondering why he felt that way.

 

“You should eat that sandwich first if your planning to go back to sleep. It’s good.”

 

Hanbin glanced at Jinhwan. His hyung lip pointed to the sandwich in front of him as he took the last bite on his own. He watched Jinhwan took a swig of his drink, collect his things and made his way to the sink. He knew at that moment that their conversation was over.

 

“Did Yunhyeong hyung made this?” Hanbin asked quietly, looking at the sandwich. He had no idea why he bothered asking that, they both knew the answer was obvious.

 

Jinhwan quirked an eyebrow to Hanbin, unsure why he sounded somewhat like he was sulking. It was so uncharacteristic of him. He eyed him curiously, thinking why he was acting that way over something trivial. Maybe that routine really grew on Hanbin somehow and he’s having an episode of childish lingering attachment, Jinhwan thought.

 

“Yep. I think he made quite a few more today.” Jinhwan went back to the dishes. “Probably for Junhoe and Chanwoo.” He added as an afterthought.

 

Chanwoo.

 

As soon as Hanbin heard the name, he shoots right up and went back to his room, leaving his sandwich untouched.

 

Jinhwan shook his head lazily with a sudden display of immaturity. Just as he thought that Hanbin went back to sleep, Hanbin shot out of his room, head to the bathroom then straight out of their apartment leaving only a loud thud on his wake.

 

He stared at the door for a moment, thinking about what just happened. Then, it dawned to him why he had earned that kind of reaction.

 

Jinhwan could not help but think about Yunhyeong’s situation before he decided that maybe, maybe this was the much-needed push in the right direction. He just hoped that Chanwoo won’t be caught in the crossfire that much.

 

 

 

Hanbin knocked at the door for the third time before it cracked open revealing a half- Junhoe.

 

“Do you usually answer your door like this?” Hanbin asked Junhoe gesturing to his half-ness.

 

Junhoe blinked slightly surprised when he saw an irritated but sleepy looking Hanbin on his doorstep.

 

“Uh, yes,” Junhoe answered nonchalantly. “What are you doing here, hyung?”

 

Hanbin was about to answer but a familiar voice came from inside the apartment calling out for Junhoe. Junhoe glanced back to Hanbin who stared back at him with a knowing look, now knowing what exactly why he was here.

 

Junhoe fully opened the door to let Hanbin in. “He’s at the kitchen.” He told Hanbin.

 

Hanbin stepped inside and walked past Junhoe.

 

“And I thought I was the rude one,” Junhoe muttered as he closes the door and followed Hanbin’s suit.

 

When Hanbin reached the kitchen, his eyes immediately zeroed into Yunhyeong who has his back turned to him. From the sound of it, he was kneading some dough in the kitchen counter.

 

“Junhoe-ya, you should put the kelp and anchovies now,” Yunhyeong instructed when he noticed someone’s presence in the kitchen. “Who’s at the door any--” Yunhyeong craned his neck back and was surprised to see Hanbin standing there at the kitchen. “Hanbin? You’re the one knock--”, He paused, fully turning to face Hanbin. “I mean, what are yo

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter