Burnt Pancake

Paper Pieces
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Author’s Note: 

 

First, I’m really amazed with all the love this story is getting. Thank you everyone for all the positive feedbacks. They really help me to get through this chapter.

Next, I have a hard time writing this chapter that I rewrite it multiple times and I’m still not satisfied with the way it turned out. But all the things here meant to be in this chapter.

Lastly, again, this is raw and unedited. Will correct all the mistake soon. And sorry for  the late update.

Enjoy!

 

 

 

 

Chapter 8 Burnt Pancake

 

 

 

Chanwoo was tired.

It was the first day of their campus festival and his department decided on doing a cafe for this year. Being the new one in his class, he was assigned to do one of the dirty job - dishwashing. The earlier part of the day had started a little slow but suddenly became hectic in the afternoon that Chanwoo could not even remember if he ever had the chance to get off his hands out of the washing gloves.

The sun was about to set when he had been finally relieved from his duties. With exhaustion reigning over his body, Chanwoo quickly made up his mind to call it a day since he did not have the energy to weave his way through the different booths anymore today.

He was making his way out of the student-filled school ground when he saw Yunhyeong. Even with the crowd zipping past around them, Chanwoo was not exactly sure how he could easily pick his hyung out of all the people in the vicinity. An unconscious smile found its way on his lips as he stopped a few steps away and quietly watched the troubled face of his hyung who was whipping his head around him looking like a lost child. His smile turned into a full-blown grin after a short while when their gaze finally met.

There was a pause before Chanwoo saw a flash of recognition cross Yunhyeong's face. They stood there looking at each other with identical grin carved on their lips. Chanwoo took note that it was the first time today that he saw his hyung and he could not help but notice that there was a brightness on Yunhyeong's expression that he had not seen for a while. It could have been the last ray of sun that made his hyung glow in fiery hue, he was not sure but whatever the reason was, it made him happy to see his hyung could somehow smile genuinely again.

Chanwoo still did not know what exactly happened between Yunhyeong and Hanbin during their basketball match last week. It never came up and Chanwoo never bothered to bring it up knowing that his hyung will eventually do when he felt ready.

"Glad to see you," Yunhyeong greeted him as soon as he was within earshot, "I was with Bobby, Junhoe, and Donghyuk but I lost them in the crowd."

Chanwoo made a quick scan around him, "Want me to help you look for them?"

"Nah. I had enough of those three," Yunhyeong waved him off with a chuckle,"I was with them throughout the day."

His hyung then ask him about his first festival in the school and Chanwoo complained about him feeling tired after being assigned as a dishwasher that made Yunhyeong laughed.

"So, are you going home already?"

If it was someone else asked him that question that time, Chanwoo would answer yes without a beat. He was weary and his body was aching to rest so he could not explain why he was having second thought now that it was Yunhyeong who was asking.

Chanwoo must have been staring far too long without responding that his hyung waved a hand in front of him. The act made him blinked out of his thoughts.

Smiling enigmatically at his reaction, Yunhyeong asked, "Want to go somewhere quiet?"

 

 

***

 

 

They went out of the campus, talking about random things. It was quite nice to have an easy conversation again with his hyung. The past week had been filled with heavy tension and emotion. This was a good change of pace.

After getting snacks at the convenience store they passed by, Yunhyeong led Chanwoo to the neighborhood's playground which was almost empty that time given that it was already getting dark. They sat on the swings as they took notice of how the wind was really getting chilly considering that autumn was nearing its end.

They fell to an occasional silence as they ate. Despite the cold wind brushing against them, Chanwoo found it quite relaxing with just them, their casual talk and the soft metallic creak of the swing as they sway idly.

"I told the coach that Im quitting the team," Yunhyeong told him as they finished their food.

Chanwoo immediately snapped towards Yunhyeong with wide eyes.

"What? Why?" He almost demanded, "You still won right?"

Their university qualified in the regionals after winning the game last week. It was a close game but their team still managed to bounce back at the latter part of the second half. Chanwoo could still remember the victorious look on their faces as soon as final shot plummeted into the basket before the buzzer signaled the end of the game.

"I know.. that was stupid. Our coach made me realized that too," Yunhyeong lowered his gaze with a chuckle, softly he continued, "Its just that, I thought that was the right thing to do after all the mess I did on the game and I also felt that I was not good enough for the team anyway."

Chawoo's face scrunched more in confusion, "I dont understand, I saw you in court, hyung. I think that you are a good player and I can see your passion in playing basketball."

"Funny thing is that I actually didn't like basketball at first. I can't even dribble properly," his hyung lifted his head at stared at nothing at a distance with a light-hearted laugh before his voice became quiet, "But... Hanbin wanted me to join the basketball team with him. He said he wanted to play with me in a team. He's the one who taught me everything about the game."

There was a pause, even the strained screeching of the rusty chain of the swing ceased from that moment. The confusion Chanwoo had morphed into an expression of reconciled understanding.

"Maybe that was the reason that I wanted to quit too. It felt like I failed the team and him. So I think that I did not like it in the first place so why not quit?" Lips curling with a small smile, Yunhyeong continued,  "But I realized that was not the case anymore, I learned to love the sport and it became a part of me now. It's not right for me to use it as an excuse for my fallout with Hanbin."

Even with everything that happened between Yunhyeong and Hanbin, the two of them shared so much history in their years of friendship that no one could take away. It will always be there. Something that Chanwoo could only dare to wish.

A gentle pat on Chanwoo's shoulder caught his attention back. He turned to see his hyung staring at him with a warm smile.

"So, thank you for being with me last week. You dont know how grateful I am for you coming to me that time"

The memory of that moment came so clear to Chanwoo that made him avoid Yunhyeong's eyes.

With a hesitant voice, "You, you dont have to thank me hyung," he shifted on his sit, a rush of heat reaching cheeks, "It's not a uh, a big deal."

Yunhyeong did not say anything else about it after that but Chanwoo could still feel his hyung's eye on him for a period of time before he heard him chuckle and ruffle his hair.

The street lamps in the playground were flickering into life when Yunhyeong finally asked the question that Chanwoo was anxious to hear.

"Chanwoo-ya, how did you know?"

"

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter