Tears

Paper Pieces
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Chapter 17  Tears

 

 

 

“Can you believe it? Our goal is just to qualify for the regionals this year, but look at us, we’re now in the semi-finals.” Yunhyeong’s tired but loud voice filled the empty and familiar sidewalk back to their apartment. He and Hanbin have been walking for some minute now after being dropped off at the university. They have just earned their spot in the final four of regionals winter cup and everyone was very pleased to have all their effort in practice and training camp all worth it. Their coach even promised to treat the whole team in a nice dinner after their practice next week.

 

“Hanbin?” Yunhyeong glanced at his side when the only form of response that he heard were sound of his heavy footsteps on the brick-laid pavement. There was no one. He fully stopped and turned around and there he saw the person that supposed to be walking beside him.

 

Yunhyeong sighed at the scene in front him, Hanbin was almost sprawled on the curb few steps away from the older. He looked like he could not even push himself to stand up again.

 

“Hyung,” Hanbin whined childishly, “I’m so tired. Carry me.”

 

Repositioning his duffel bag in front of him, Yunhyeong slowly made his way to his best friend. “We’re all exhausted, you know,” he said as he lowered his back to the younger guy. “But you worked so hard today so I guess I can give a back ride.”

 

Hanbin instantly grabbed him and climbed at his back, clinging like his life depends on him that they stumbled a few times before Yunhyeong managed to stand up. Yunhyeong could feel his legs straining at the additional weight of Hanbin and his sports bag but he believed that there must have been remaining adrenaline in his system enough to take both of them back to their apartment.

 

The two of them carry quietly on with Yunhyeong wobbling feet and occasional stop to push Hanbin up his back and the muffled mumbling of the younger against Yunhyeong’s skin. The night was getting colder as the snow started to drizzle, it was a winter night after all. Yunhyeong felt the arms around him tightening as the crisp breeze brushed upon them. He was somehow grateful that they were huddled so close together keeping each other warm making their predicament a little bearable.

 

“Hyung.”

 

“Hmm?”

 

“You smell like apples,” Yunhyeong felt Hanbin’s hot breath bristled on his ears, “How can you still smell so good?”

 

“What?” Yunhyeong furrowed his brows, mildly surprise with the sudden remark about his smell. He was not given a second to think about it as he felt Hanbin burrowed his face against him even more. “Ya! Stop it,” he called out, “You’re tickling me. Do you want as to fall?”

 

The two of them staggered a few times until Yunhyeong finally managed Hanbin to settle down with his face almost against his cheek.

 

“But I like your smell.” Yunhyeong could hear the pout on his voice.

 

“Why are you being such a clingy kid these days?” Yunhyeong brought up the question that has been on his mind for quite some time. He noticed that Hanbin had been acting a little weird around him since they came back from the school break which was a couple of weeks ago now. At first, he thought nothing of it because Hanbin had always had this kind of episode but those moment did not last this long. This time, however, it felt like Hanbin latched himself to Yunhyeong, acting like a spoiled bratty kid, asking him to go places with him every time he got a chance, asking him to cook his favorite food, following him around the school. It was like Hanbin was everywhere.

 

“I’m always a clingy kid to you,” Hanbin answered without a beat wrapping his arms around Yunhyeong even more.

 

“You’re a grown man now.”

 

“I don’t care.”

 

Yunhyeong chuckled at the candor. Even being a dead weight on his back Hanbin could still pull off that attitude. “Talk about being such a brat.”

 

“But you love me anyway.”

 

He was not exactly sure why but there was something about the way Hanbin said those words that made Yunhyeong stopped on his track for fleeting moment, where everything went still and silent but the sound of their breathing. It was like they were suspended in time on that moment and those words echoing on his ears like it was reaching for something.

 

Something that had been there before.

 

“Yes,” Yunhyeong said in a steady voice, once he gained his wits. Chuckling lightly for going overdrive on his thinking of that simple comeback, he went on, “Looks like I don’t have a choice. That’s what a best friend is for, right?”

 

The only thing that tip Yunhyeong off that Hanbin heard him was, when he felt his arms around him loosen slightly.


 

 

 

***

 

 

There was a wide grin plastered on Yunhyeong’s face as soon as he heard the door of their apartment clicked close on a cloudy Wednesday afternoon. He released a very satisfied sigh and clapped himself for his perfect execution of his master plan.

 

“You’re early.” Jinhwan’s voice greeted him as he walked out of his room. Judging by how he was dressed, and all prepped up he’ll be most probably going somewhere.

 

“Yeah? We don’t have practice today, hyung.” Yunhyeong plopped himself comfortably on the couch and glanced at the older guy. “You going somewhere?”

 

Jinhwan hummed in acknowledgement. “Brother duties. Sis needed help in the café.”

 

“Want me to come with you?”

 

Jinhwan shoots him an appreciative smile but shook his head. “I got it. Just enjoy the rest of your day.” He was halfway to the door when he stopped and turned to Yunhyeong. “Wait. So, where’s Hanbin? You two are practically inseparable this past few days.”

 

“Not when I gave him the perfect distraction.” Yunhyeong’s eyes glinted with mischief and pride making Jinhwan raised an eyebrow.

 

“And that is?”

 

“A cute little girl in pig tails.”

 

Yunhyeong saw a cloud of understanding that flew past Jinhwan’s expression. He stared at him with a somewhat forlorn look on his eyes in a momentary si

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter