Chaennie | If It's You

Just Me and You
Note: Italics are Jennie's POV. 

 

 

 

-----------------------------------------------------

 

 

 

 

"Park Chaeyoung!"

 

 

 

I turned around when someone shouted my name all of the sudden. Me and Lisa were just sitting here at the cafeteria eating our lunch. 

 

 

I turned around and saw the infamous Jennie Kim with her minions, and Kim Jisoo... Her special minion I guess? Whatever, they are rumored to be together or something like that.

 

 

I didn't utter a word but just gave her a questioning look. She just kept staring at me too but I saw her eyebrow flinched before she heaved a sigh and spoke.

 

 

 

"Be my girl."

 

 

 

The crowd's reaction were beyond mine, but I can hear Lisa's the most. Aish, this idiot really...

 

 

 

"W-What?"

 

 

 

Jennie Kim walked closer to me and lowered her head a little to level with mine. 

 

 

 

"Scratch that. You're mine, baby girl" She said in a way of a whisper but can be heard by the others too. All ears were on us anyway.

 

 

 

"W-What? Are you crazy?!" I said in pure shock. Is this girl for real? I don't know but she just chuckled and...left. She just walked out like that leaving me in awe.

 

 

 

I followed my gaze while she walks, not noticing that Kim Jisoo was already sitting next to me. 

 

 

 

"Hi, I'm Jisoo." She offered her hand for me to shake. Um... We all know you're Jisoo, I thought but still took it.

 

 

 

"Don't be too shocked. That idiot just doesn't know how to confess properly." She chuckled. I feel a little relaxed somehow. That's Kim Jisoo for you, the girl-next-door everyone's dreaming about.

 

 

 

She's the only one who can "tame" the Jennie Kim when that girl is on a riot mode or whatever mess she makes, Kim Jisoo will be always on the scene.

 

 

 

Both Lisa and I had a huge crush on her on our first year. They are a year higher and was already crazy-famous then. We would always find ourselves sneaking around if we somehow passed their classrooms just to have a glimpse of her.

 

 

 

Well... Now I guess I've outgrown my childish crush on her. She's still mesmerizing though, no doubt about that. I look at Lisa as I remember those silly things we do.

 

 

 

And... Wait, is she... drooling? Aish, this young child. I guess I'm the only one who "had" a crush on Jisoo.

 

 

 

"I'm Chae-..." 

 

 

 

"Of course I know who you are Chaeyoungie!" I was startled by the sudden nickname.

 

 

 

"You're the student body president, a 2nd year on top of that, and of course... the 'girl on guitar' with the sweetest voice that serenaded the heart of the one and only... Jendeukie." She said playfully, especially the last part. I'm guessing that she enjoys making fun of Jennie. It was hard not to laugh at that nickname.

 

 

 

"And..." She continues as she shifted her gaze on Lisa. "Your best friend here is the school's 'dancing machine' who's really famous with the girls. Such a playgirl aren't you?" She teased and laughed at the end.

 

 

 

"W-What? Hey, I'm not!" Lisa retorted but Jisoo just laughed.

 

 

 

"So... Don't you like Jen?" Jisoo asked. Well, who wouldn't be into a girl like Jennie? But...

 

 

 

"I just... I don't even know her." I answered honestly.

 

 

 

"You will eventually. I'll tell you a list about her one by one, so you won't get lost. Jen can be... A little difficult sometimes. That's why I'm here." She smiled. I don't know what to do or say at a situation like this. I remained mum, maybe that's why she spoke again.

 

 

 

"So, I'll see you two on a double date this weekend. We'll pick you up around 7 on the evening, okay? Hmm, you don't have any girl... or guy, right?" She asked Lisa.

 

 

 

"N-No." Lisa answered confusely. Well, both of us are. 

 

 

 

"Cool! We'll hang around with the new couple then. See you-..." She was already standing up, waving goodbye at us, so I cut her off. 

 

 

 

"W-Wait, we're not a couple-..." I tried to clear her statement but I got beaten to it.

 

 

 

"Oh. First thing on the list about Jennie Kim... She doesn't take 'no' for an answer. If you're her baby girl, then YOU ARE her baby girl." She winked at me and chuckled.

 

 

 

"Bye for now, Chaeyoungie and..  Li.. Hmm, I'm going to think about your nickname, yours is just too tricky!" She chuckled again and she went off her way, leaving both Lisa and I dumbfounded.

 

 

 

Just how did we get in this situation?!

 

 

 

~ ~ ~

 

 

 

​​​​​​"What did you just say?!" 

 

 

 

"I said... I can't think of a nickname for Li-..." 

 

 

"No! Before that!" 

 

 

"Oh, the double date? It's on this weekend and-..." 

 

 

"What the hell! Who told you to set up a date like that?!" I asked furiously. Just how am I friends with this crazy idiot?! 

 

 

 

"And who told you to claim Park Chaeyoung like that, Ms. Jennie Kim?" She asked calmly as she kept browsing on her phone. Ugh, it irritates me how she always got a point! 

 

 

I can't help it though. I don't like waiting!

 

 

"We practiced time and time again so you'll confess properly, then you-..." 

 

 

"Alright, fine! Where? What will we do?" I asked annoyingly. 

 

 

"That's your job, Jendeuk. Goodnight!" She hurriedly put down her phone and turned her back to sleep. 

 

 

We're staying at the school's dorms on weekdays and I often sleep in her room because...well, I'm Jendeuk. 

 

 

"Chu... Can you help me out, please?" 

 

 

"Ani..." She muttered. 

 

 

"Please... I don't want our first date to fail." I pleaded again. 

 

 

"Look on the bright side; there'll be more dates to come." She said with her sleepy voice.

 

 

"Chu..." I started sobbing like the crybaby I am, but I know this will do the trick. 

 

 

"Aish, jinjja!" She turned around and I wanted to smile but I need to stay into character. 

 

 

"Okay, the classic; Amusement park." She suggested.

 

 

"No. I get motion sickness easily, you know that." 

 

 

She grunted before suggesting another. "Okay, the cafe for two. The one that's about three blocks from your house."

 

 

"Hmm... Oka-... Wait, but we have a double date, right?" 

 

 

"Um...yes? That's the whole point. You'll have your Park Chaeyoung all by yourself." 

 

 

"Oh...and you? With...who was that again?" 

 

 

"Aish, how rude. She's Lisa." 

 

 

"So you want her all by yourself huh?" I teased.

 

 

"How did this become about me? Focus on your date, Jendeuk!" 

 

 

Oh, how defensive. Let's a little more. 

 

 

"Chu is in love!" 

 

 

"Aish, can you keep it down? I'm not!" 

 

 

Aish jinjja... This Kim Jisoo only knows how to play around. 

 

 

"Aish, get yourself a girl okay? I don't know why I'm accused to be the player between us when in reality, you are." 

 

 

"Yah Jendeuk, how can I get one when they all assume that we're in a relationship? That is really your fault that's why I'm getting you your girl." 

 

 

"Yeah right, blame it on me. You just can't -..."

 

 

"Oh really? Chaeyoungie is a really sweet girl, maybe I could-..." 

 

 

"Ani! It's my fault, I'm sorry Chu. Let's sleep yeah? Goodnight!" I said in one go because I don't want to continue this conversation any further. She has a way with girls and I can't let her make a move on my Chaeng. I know she was about to retort but she didn't because I was already covered with my blanket, and she just knows how stubborn I get. 

 

 

 

See you in two days, Park Chaeyoung. I thought while I smile foolishly. Jennie Kim, you're whipped. 

 

 

 

~ ~ ~

 

 

 

"Why am I even preparing for this?" I said as I look at my outfit from the mirror. 

 

 

"Because if you won't do it for yourself, then you'll do it for me, right Chae?" Lisa said in all smiles while she waits for me in my bed.

 

 

"Aish, how can you be this ready? You're too excited."

 

 

"Me? Really, Chae? Just how many outfits have you tried on?" She teased.

 

 

"Aish! I don't know, Lis. I'm...scared." I said honestly as I sit on the bed.

 

 

"Chae, it's okay. Just like Jisoo said, you'll know her eventually and if it doesn't work out for you, that's fine too."

 

 

I gave her a tight smile. She's right though but...it's not really the 'not working out' thing I'm worried about.

 

 

 

 

 

It's... the other way around.

 

 

 

~ ~ ~

 

 

 

​​​​​​"Jisoo!" 

 

 

"What?" 

 

 

"I can't drive. You do it." 

 

 

"Why? You know I don't like driving." 

 

 

"But it feels like I forgot how!" I grunted while gripping the steering wheel tight. Why am I nervous? Jennie Kim never gets nervous! 

 

 

"Are you nervous?" 

 

 

 

​​​​​"NO!" 

 

 

 

"Then drive." 

 

 

 

"Chu..." I pleaded like a little helpless kid. 

 

 

 

"Aish jinjja." She finally gave up and switched from the passenger's seat. 

 

 

 

"You owe me." 

 

 

 

"I know! A lot!" I said feeling a little lighter. I seriously don't know how I'd survive without her. 

 

 

 

Ten minutes into our drive and I feel like the butterflies in my stomach became dragons breathing wild fire. 

 

 

 

"And... We're here!" 

 

 

 

Already?! Maybe this isn't a good idea after all. Maybe I should-

 

 

 

My thoughts were distracted by someone slowly going down the steps of the patio. Is this...real-time? Or my eyes are just playing tricks with me?

 

 

 

And just like that, the coward in me disappeared. I hurriedly step out of the car and just go for it. Why does she look ethereal with just casual clothes? 

 

 

 

"Jen-..." With that syllable coming from her voice I... I got flustered and I can feel my cheeks burn. She's making me go crazy. 

 

 

 

"Yah Jendeuk, get your girl and let's go." Jisoo woke me up from my trance and I saw her and Lisa already getting inside the car. I grabbed Chaeyoung's wrist all of the sudden and open the door for her. 

 

 

 

It got me really nervous when she doesn't want to go inside. 

 

 

 

​​​​​​"Um... Jennie, you can let go now." She said as she lifted her wrist a little, gesturing to let go from my grip.

 

 

"Oh . I'm sorry I-..." She laughed and it made me stop talking. She went inside and I followed suit. Aish! How embarrassing.

 

 

 

​​​​​​The drive was awfully quiet. Well, for Chaeyoung and I at least. 

 

 

 

"...and so, as I was saying, in English class Mr. Yang asked me 'How was Shakespeare?' and I said 'I don't know sir, he's dead.'" Jisoo finished her story after she made a turn and the two or them bursted out laughing. I didn't know Lisa was THIS loud. Jisoo is more talkative but Lisa's laugh would echo in the car. 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Did these two really just met? I know Jisoo is good with people but it seems like she became a 5-year old along with Lisa. Aish... I bet their relationship would be chaos for someone third-wheeling them. 

​​

​​​

 

Definitely not going to be me. 

 

 

 

"Chaeyoung-ah! Chaeyoung-ah! Remember when you tripped because of the new step down the hall-..." Lisa started. It was about to get interesting when Chaeyoung cut her off. 

 

 

 

"Aish jinjja!" Chaeyoung retorted with an annoyed face. It's quite a sight. Seeing different sides of her puts a smile on me. 

 

 

 

"That's nothing compared to Jendeukie though. She trips over nothing! She's born clumsy!" 

 

 

 

My eyes widen as their laughters rings uncontrollably. How could this idiot bluntly humiliate me?! When I was about to retort, I saw Chaeyoung laughing. 

 

 

 

​​​​​​"That's so adorable!" She said and I can't help but blush. Kim Jisoo I'll let this slide just once.

 

 

 

~ ~ ~

 

 

 

We went inside the cafe and... 'Cafe for two'? What does that supposed to mean? 

 

 

 

Oh... It's two seats per-... Wait, so we'll-...

 

 

 

"We'll be separating tables then. Jendeukie, don't scare off Chaeyoungie okay?" Jisoo said as she lead Lisa to another table. 

 

 

 

"Aish jinjja... That idiot." Jennie muttered and I giggled at her annoyed face.

 

 

 

"Shall we?" She asked for us to sit and we did. Despite her strong and intimidating facade, Jennie Kim just smiled so innocently and gently at me.

 

 

 

I think I'll be greedy with that smile of hers. I want to see it more often.

 

 

 

"Do you have anything in mind or I'll order for you?"

 

 

 

Gentle and sweet.

 

 

 

"I've heard you really like matcha and tiramisu. Is that fine?" 

 

 

 

Aish... you're making it hard for me, Jennie Kim.

 

 

 

"That's fine, thank you." I gave a sweet smile back. It may seem normal for you but right now, my mind and heart are battling with each other... and it's your fault.

 

 

 

When our orders arrive, it became quiet again. I took it as an opportunity to settle my curiosity.

 

 

 

"Most of us thought that you and Jisoo are..."

 

 

 

"Together?" She finished for me. I guess they are aware of the rumours. I just nodded and waited for her answer.

 

 

 

"Jisoo and I are best friends since we're little. She really gets me even though I'm kind of difficult to understand. That's why I'm always that clingy to her and a little... over-protective. Maybe that's the reason why those who are interested in her are afraid." She drew a laugh before continuing.

 

 

 

"I know it's hard for her; taking care of a 'Jendeukie', but... I also want the best for her, in my own ways I mean." She smiled sweetly and I just knew right then how good of a person Jennie Kim is.

 

 

 

"Are you jealous?" She suddenly asked to which I was shocked.

 

 

 

"No! Of course not! Why would I be?" I said continuously. Jennie laugh as she kept gently stabbing her cake. I noticed she keeps doing it when she can't look in my eyes directly.

 

 

 

"You can be honest, you know... Rosie."

 

 

 

My eyes widen at that name. How did she-...

 

 

 

Jennie laughed again. "I met your sister at art class, Roseanne."

 

 

 

"Aish jinjja!"

 

 

 

"Why? It's cute! And she's rooting for me."

 

 

 

"Huh?" I got confused for a moment.

 

 

 

"For us, I mean." She answered and she does that cake thing again. She's not even eating it!

 

 

 

"Rosie, I really like you." She finally looked at me with rainbow eyes and damn... what a sight. Stop that will you?

 

 

 

 

 

Because I think I might really like you too.

 

 

 

~ ~ ~

 

 

 

"So, how was the date?" Jisoo asked. It was a Monday dismissal already and we ended up walking together. She decided to walk me home because she said she's got nothing to do, while Jennie and Lisa have extra-curricular activities every after Monday classes.

 

 

 

"It was fun." I answered, but I know it was more than that. 

 

 

 

"Really? Jen can't stop talking about it though." That made me blush. I hope she doesn't notice it.

 

 

 

"You're blushing, Chaeyoungie." 

 

 

 

"A-Ani, I'm not!" I said defensively that made her laugh.

 

 

 

"It's okay. Jen's been crushing on you since you came to the school. She even forced me to vote for school officers because you're a nominee. I never even voted in my life!" We both laughed but it sends extra butterflies in my stomach.

 

 

 

"Another on the list about Jennie Kim; she's a care bear, in her own ways at least. People just misunderstand it sometimes."

 

 

 

That's true.

 

 

 

"Another; she plays with her food when she gets nervous." 

 

 

 

I laughed. True again. 

 

 

 

"She doesn't know it, but she smiles that gummy smile when she's genuinely happy." 

 

 

 

True again but... The way Jisoo said it, I saw a glimpse of pain in her eyes and heard it too with her tone. 

 

 

 

"And... She's always like that when she's with you or when she talks about you." 

 

 

 

No... I can't watch this. Jisoo who's always cheerful is looking down with such weary eyes. Was that all... a facade?

 

 

 

"So, if it's you... then it makes really happy."

 

 

 

No you're not. Your eyes convey pure agony. All this time, you're bearing this?

 

 

 

"W-Wait, Jisoo... do you like-..."

 

 

 

"Chaeyoungie!“ She cut me off with that cheerful tone again. We stopped in our tracks like we both knew it was turning serious. 

 

 

 

"Another on the list; Kim Jisoo will always be Jennie Kim's best friend. Nothing will change that." She said in the most calm and stable way she can, but I can see her eyes glimmer in the sunlight.

 

 

 

She wanted me to be strong too. She wanted me to take care of Jennie the way she does, and love her the way she can't. 

 

 

 

"I won't disappoint." I suddenly said. I didn't know why I claimed Jennie like that. I wasn't even sure of my feelings earlier. Why?

 

 

 

But it became clear when I saw Jisoo's genuine smile at me. My true feelings came through. Jisoo made sure of it; that I was sure of my feelings, that Jennie won't get hurt.

 

 

 

"Good then. You need patience Roseanne Park." She said with a smirk as we started walking again. 

 

 

 

"Ah seriously, does everyone know it already?!" I laughed too.

 

 

 

"Maybe... but does anyone know who Jennie Ruby Jane is?" She said with that smirk again and then we bursted out laughing.

 

 

"Aish jinjja! How can she tease me?!" I said in between laughs. We fell into casual conversation again until we arrived at my home.

 

 

 

"Thank you." I said, and I meant not just walking me home. Jisoo felt that too. 

 

 

 

"Not a problem, Chaeyoungie." She smiled widely. It pains me somehow to see it. Kim Jisoo's beautiful smile hides a very deep scar.

 

 

 

~ ~ ~

 

 

 

"Lisa?! Why are you here?" I asked the moment I saw her in my room watching television comfortably. Well, it's no surprise that she can barge in anytime but I knew she has dance practice that she can't miss.

 

 

 

"I missed dance practice." 

 

 

 

"What? Are you serious?"

 

 

 

"Yeah. I Wasn't feeling it lately."

 

 

 

Something's bothering her. It's obvious because she's cheerful 24/7.

 

 

 

"Why?"

 

 

 

"Oh. I saw you with Jisoo earlier when I was walking home. It looked serious so I didn't interrupt. I got here faster though." She laughed. Lisa changing the subject? This is so unlikely.

 

 

 

"Yah, Manoban. Spill." As her best friend, I won't take it. Missing dance practice is a huge matter for her. 

 

 

 

"Aish, cut me some slack will you?" She kept her eyes on the television and I crossed my arms, waiting for a real answer.

 

 

 

"No." 

 

 

 

"Fine!" Lisa sat up and looked at be before continuing. "It's Jisoo. She's in love with someone else."

 

 

 

Oh. She knew? I know I demanded an answer, but I just didn't know how to respond.

 

 

 

"She didn't say it though. It was just so obvious. She talks about her non-stop. She chuckled like she has this lump in . 

 

 

 

" Lis-..."

 

 

 

"I won't give up though. I will make Kim Jisoo fall in love with me and make her really really happy." She said, full of conviction. I just smiled and nodded proudly at my best friend. If Lisa said it, she will be able do it...

 

 

 

...because she is Lisa.

 

 

 

~ ~ ~

 

 

 

​​​​​​"What's taking her so long?" I muttered as I paced the hall back and forth. I'm waiting for Chaeyoung to finish her duties as president. It's already dark outside. Does she usually walk home at this hour? That's ridiculous. It's too dangerous! 

 

 

 

“Jennie?" Oh. That sweet voice. I turned around, facing the confused girl I'm waiting for. 

 

 

 

​​​​​​"What are you still doing here?" 

 

 

 

"Waiting for you." 

 

 

 

"Why? I just had some paperworks." 

 

 

 

"How can I let my girl go home alone at this hour?" 

 

 

 

She smiled. Wait, is she... blushing? 

 

 

 

I smiled back and went closer. I slowly took a hold of her hand and she flinched with the sudden contact. 

 

 

 

"I'll take you home." When I was about to pull her to come with me, she lightly pulled me back. It got me nervous. Is she going to reject me? 

 

 

 

"Jennie, I... I can't do this." 

 

 

 

What did she just say? She... can't? I think I was already trembling. I can't look at her directly. 

 

 

 

I can't listen any further. My grip was about to lose but she took a hold of it tightly. 

 

 

 

"Listen to me, please." 

 

 

 

No. 

 

 

 

"I can't do this when we're not official yet." She said, and I think I heard her giggle. 

​​​​​​

​​

 

"Aish jinjja! What the hell!" My voice and her laughter echoed the halls. Seriously, is she trying to give a heart attack? 

 

 

 

Look how teary-eyed you've gotten for teasing me. 

 

 

 

I took the chance to pull her close to me and gave her a peck on the lips. She stopped being giggly and showed a flustered face. 

 

 

 

Take that, Park Chaeyoung .

 

 

 

"Aish... you're too fast." I chuckled as I got my revenge. I pulled her again and we started walking. 

 

 

 

"Wait." She stopped and I turned to look at her. 

 

 

 

My eyes widen when I realized that our lips crashed with each other and her hands cupped my face. I closed my eyes too and feel my love reciprocated gently and passionately. 

 

 

 

No fair, Park Chaeyoung. You're stronger, taller... I feel like you're the one taking care of me.

 

 

 

 

 

"But I'm faster, Jennie Ruby Jane Kim." 

 

 

 

 

 

My emotions turned into pure shock.

 

 

 

Realizations finally hit me. 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

"AISH JINJJA KIM JISOO!" 

 

 

 

 

I can't stop laughing. She's just too adorable! I had the urge to kiss her again. 

 

 

 

"Jennie, I like you." I said with utmost sincerity. 

 

 

 

 

That gummy smile. I would never get tired of that. 

 

 

 

 

 

 

"You're quite slow after all Rosie..."

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

"...because I've already fallen in love with you." 

 

 

 

 

 

Aish jinjja... I'm not, Jennie Kim. I just hate to admit it, because I'm scared.

 

 

 

 

I fear love the most... that I can't even utter the word. 

 

 

 

 

But... If it's you then, 

 

 

 

 

I think I can make an exception.