Chaennie | A Chance

Just Me and You

 

 

It was a cold summer. Wait- could you even imagine that? Well, it was cold because I was having an iced espresso in an air-conditioned room while the professor scolds me for drinking it inside class.

 

 

"Park Chaeyoung! Just what do you think you're doing?" The old woman said.

 

 

"Uh... drinking, I suppose?"

 

 

"How many times should I warn you about your behavior? Just because you're on top of the class you can-... Yah! Come back here Park Chaeyoung!"

 

 

I'm sick of this. I'm sick of hearing the same all over again. Is it my fault that I have this brain? If I don't, I'd still have the same "behavior" or whatever that means.

 

 

I released a deep sigh as I closed the door behind me. I still hear some of the Professor's angry words. I continued walking as I sip my delicious espresso. This was more worth it than that class, I thought to myself. I decided to call my bestfriend and invite her out.

 

 

"Yah-, why does it took you so long to pick up?"

 

 

"I was studying, Chae."

 

 

"For what?" I asked.

 

 

"What do you mean for what? For the exams of course! Oh wait, you don't need to study huh, smart ? To answer your next question; No, I won't ever go out until the exams are done. I need to pass or I won't enjoy my vacation with Jisoo."

 

 

"What? I haven't even asked yet!"

 

 

"Okay, ask me now."

 

 

With that, I feel defeated and just went to the point. "Ugh... C'mon Lis! I'll help you study!" 

 

 

"Oh really? The last time that happened we ended up having a drinking session and I have to fail two subjects while you top all of it. Do you realize how that made me feel?"

 

 

"It won't happen again, I promise! And besides, because of that Jisoo offered to tutor you right?" I convinced.

 

 

She made a long pause, like she was really thinking about it so I convinced her even more. "C'mon Lis! Please!"

 

 

"No! You'll help me by not bothering me, okay? Go get yourself a date instead, loser!"

 

 

"Yah! Lis-" And she hung up on me.

 

 

"This ungrateful ." I muttered while I stare at my phone. Date? What date? That's just a waste of time!

 

 

While I searched for a trash bin to throw my now finished drink, Towards my direction, I saw a small kid walking- no, running with books in her arms. She struggled with her own pace like she was about to trip... and I was right, she ing tripped. I easily threw my trash in the bin and rushed towards the clumsy kid and helped her get up.

 

 

Wait... this is no clumsy kid, this is a girl. A very clumsy girl. 

 

 

"Yah! Can you be more careful?" I said as I picked up her other books.

 

 

"I'm sorry, I was in a hurry." She asnwered.

 

 

"How can you be so-..." I was speechless when I handed out the books to her, beautiful... I thought, but before I can continue she grabbed it from my hands, fixed her sling bag to her shoulder and hurriedly walk away.

 

 

"Oh! Thank you, Chaeyoung-ah!" She shouted as she waved at me.

 

 

Why does she know me? Oh... I guess it's because I'm "on top". Whatever. 

 

 

 I just dismissed it and decided to go straight back to my apartment.

 

 

 

 

~ ~ ~

 

 

 

 

"Ugh! Why aren't there any good shows in here?" I complained as I browse through the channels. I scan my social media accounts, went around my place, try and read a book, get my guitar... but nothing. I just feel uninterested in anything but I want to do something.

 

 

I gave up and just searched the frigde for something to eat. Luckily, there are quite some still that my sister cooked for me yesterday. I heated it in the oven, I sat down and ate the rice with mixed vegetables and some good meat.

 

 

"Heavenly... Thank you unnie." I said to myself with a mouthful of the delicious food.

 

 

While I'm at it, I browsed my instagram once more and saw something interesting. Someone interesting. This was her, I thought. I saw a post from the university's account and quickly zoomed in the group picture to confirm my theory that it was indeed her.

 

 

"I'm sure of it." I said like I was talking to somebody else.

 

 

What is this anyway? Oh... "Volunteers for the Youth" It read. So she's into this? Interesting and a little lame at the same time, I thought.

 

 

Who is she anyway? With curiousty, I looked for the tag and it was just located on her forhead. jennierubyjane? Cute.

 

 

As expected, of course I stalked her... more than I should. Other than confirming that it was her, I also confirmed that she was indeed, very very attractive.

 

 

Wait... she's an English major too? Why didn't I notice her? Well, come too think of it, I never cared about anything or anyone. Sure, I play around before but that was when Lisa was always around. By the time she got seriously whipped for Jisoo, the tables turned for her and finally, she got her life figured out or something. At least, that was what she said.

 

 

As for me... I'm good. I just feel like nothing's really happening in my life so I get bored easily. I admit that I got slightly jealous of Lisa when she finally knew what she want in life. I'm happy for my bestfriend, really but I hope I find meaning for myself too, you know?

 

 

"Oh crap!" Suddenly, with all those thoughts and stalking at the same time, I accidentally clicked the "follow" button.

 

 

"! Should I take it back? No, that's rude! Wait... I AM rude anyway. But... I guess my subconciousness really want to follow her so... whatever."

 

 

I really didn't care at first but it's been hours and she haven't accepted me yet. What the hell? Who do you think you are, Jennie Kim?! I walked back and forth to my kitchen, wondering why she won't accept. Did she think I was a creep? I just bumped into her and I just followed her like that?

 

 

Damn it! As agonizing as waiting to be accepted, I decided to take it back. I reached for my phone again and once I touched it, a notification rang and I hurriedly checked it.

 

 

A sigh of relief came out from me. Jennie accepted my request and asked for a follow too. I never felt more relieved... aside from eating delicious food of course.

 

 

 

 

~ ~ ~

 

 

 

 

The next morning came and to tell the truth, I've never been this thrilled to go to class. I needed to find her, I thought. 

 

 

This must be my lucky day because I saw her already in our first class. Well, logically I would, of course see her one way or another.

 

 

Then what, Park Chaeyoung? I asked myself. I saw her, then what now? Feeling stupid, I just sat down on my usual seat which was far from hers.

 

 

The lecture of two hours just went on and I just couldn't get my mind off her. Knowing that she's just here, breathing the same air as I, intrigued me. What's with her that got me this interested?

 

 

Dismissing my thoughts, like I always would, happened again. I figured that I'll just bug Lisa again and again until she surrenders. But on my way out as the class ended, someone tapped my shoulder.

 

 

To my surprise, it was no other than Jennie Kim.

 

 

"Yeah?" I asked casually. The others were already going out and someone called Jennie and said she'll see her at the next class, which I think would be in three hours.

 

 

"Yeah, see you!" Jennie shouted back at her, then shifted her attention to me again.

 

 

"I'm sorry... you just dropped your handkerchief yesterday while helping me and I just put everything in my bag. So... Here." She handed it to me and I took it.

 

 

Judging from the looks of it, I bet she washed and even ironed it neatly. I don't even iron my clothes.

 

 

I smiled at the thought. "Thanks." I said.

 

 

"Sure thing. See you." She waved again as she walked away but I had the urge to stop her... so I did.

 

 

"Wait." I said as I hold her wrist gently. She looked at it then at me, so I let go of her.

 

 

"I'm sorry but... would you mind if you join me for lunch?" I asked, a little with formality to which I was surprised myself. I always talk casually even to strangers, I invite girls to eat whenever I feel like it and it doesn't bother me whether they'll accept or not.

 

 

But with this girl in front of me, I was a nervous wreck... though it clearly doesn't show on the outside.

 

 

"Sure." she said, a little confused.

 

 

With that, my confidence came back and lead the way.

 

 

"I know a good one just near the univeristy. Do you like steak?" I asked whilee we walked towards outside.

 

 

"Hmm... I'm not much of an eater but I'll eat anything." She said with a chuckle.

 

 

"Really? Anything?" I stressed.

 

 

"Yah! What are you thinking?"

 

 

It surprised me that she followed through, though. I thought she'd be an innocent little girl.

 

 

"Nothing!" I laughed and she did too.

 

 

 

 

It was probably a normal lunch-out. We ate, talked about school, how she ended up as an English major and what other projects she took part in. She also shared how I'm one of the things that makes classes interesting. When I talk back to professors, when I say witty things that make them confuse, when I walk out from time to time.

 

 

Well, at least someone find those interesting, I thought.

 

 

"What am I to you, a clown?" I asked playfully.

 

 

Jennie just laughed and for the first time I saw that smile of hers. You'd think I'm just being overly obsessed or something but I'm dead serious when I say that her smile was breath-taking.

 

 

"Wow." was the word I could only muster at that time.

 

 

"Wow, what?" she asked.

 

 

"Wow... we're late?" I said even though I didn't really know what time it was or as if I even cared being late.

 

 

"Oh crap! We should go, right now." 

 

 

Jennie stood up and I did too. She was in a hurry again and I have to keep up with her pace, even though it seems she was already running and I was just walking fast.

 

 

 

 

 

"You really like rushing, do you?" I asked as we finally took our seat.

 

 

"Not really. It just happens a lot." She said as she was calming herself from running.

 

 

By the time I looked at my surroundings, I realized I'm not on my usual seat on the class and I was seating next to Jennie. I can feel eyes everywhere staring at us. I was always with Lisa but when she failed those two subjects, she's been on different schedules since. So I understood that it was unsual for them for me to be with others.

 

 

"Oh, you could take your usual seat if you like." Jennie suggested, noticing I was uncomfortable.

 

 

I shook my head. "Nope. Here is fine."

 

 

Jennie just nodded and smiled at me.

 

 

The lecture started and I wasn't listening at all. When did I anyway? I'd take a glance at Jennie from time to time, I observed her as she listens intently. I figured she likes studying and being involved in all sorts of activities. As for me, I just complained at everything while doing nothing. A huge difference.

 

 

The class ended and we all stood up. I was never bored because I was only thinking about her, repeating our talks earlier over and over, and how I want it to happen again.

 

 

"Hey..." Jennie looked back as we walk out. She was in front of me while I was on a daydream, following her.

 

 

"Yeah?" I acted unbothered.

 

 

"Would you like to come with me do a volunteer work for orphans this Friday? If it won't hurt your schedule, of course."

 

 

I lightened up. Anywhere, anytime is fine... just to be with you, I thought. If she invited me over a boring cultural event or a talk about why the earth is round, I wouldn't give a single about it.

 

 

"Of course. Sure."

 

 

"Great! Will be expecting you then. Bye!"

 

 

"Bye."

 

 

 

 

 

~ ~ ~

 

 

 

 

 

This is absolutely boring.

 

 

A pain.

 

 

Do I really have to smile to each kid every time I handed them goods?

 

 

And where's Jennie? She doesn't even pay attention to me! She's always busy walking around and stuff.

 

 

"Unnie! Unnie!" called the little girl.

 

 

This girl again. Aish... I need to smile. Smile Chaeyoung!

 

 

"What is it?" I finally turned and sat to level with her.

 

 

"I wanna go pee." 

 

 

What? So what?

 

 

"Please come with me, unnie." 

 

You ing serious, kid?

 

 

"Um... Why don't you ask your other unnies, little one?" I said, trying to pass the situation.

 

 

"But... I want you unnie." 

 

 

This little freaking brat. 

 

 

I laughed awkwardly and looked around for the damn toilet.

 

 

"Um... Why don't you go ahead, and I'll follow. I'll just finish this quickly?" I suggested. The girl nodded and when she was out of sight, I dashed outside to my car.

 

 

"Damn it. I can't ing do this." I muttered to myself. I texted Jennie that I wasn't feeling well and I'll just wait for her in the car.

 

 

 

 

~ ~ ~

 

 

 

 

 

I was awoken by a faint knock on the glass. I didn't know I fell asleep. Jennie went inside, giving me a worried look.

 

 

"Hey... I'm sorry, are you okay?" she asked.

 

 

"Yeah, I'm good. Just got a little dizzy earlier." 

 

 

"Sorry it took me longer than I should. Ella was crying, she said someone left her. I really don't understand but she needed her meds because of the panic."

 

 

. That was me. I gulped hard and gave out a fake cough. 

 

 

"Shall we go?" I asked, dismissing the topic.

 

 

"Yeah. Sure." 

 

 

The drive was quiet until Jennie asked me how was my visit at the orphanage. 

 

 

"It was... Something new for me." I laughed awkwardly and continued. "I just don't understand why people do that, you know?" I asked. A question that my annoying shouldn't have even asked in the first place.

 

 

I saw a glimpse of Jennie's furrowed brows before she asked. "What do you mean?"

 

 

"I mean... They are kids that lost their parents, right? Why should we magnify their feelings of lost? Don't get me wrong... they are pitiful, I know. But is empathy really what they need?"

 

 

"They need support. They need to feel that someone will still be there for them, Chaeyoung." I noticed her voice cracked at the mention of my name but the stupid me didn't stop or even consider.

 

 

"Yeah, but for how long? I think it's really unnecessary... and besides, how would you know what they need? How do you know exactly what they feel, Jen?"

 

 

 

 

Jennie was quiet for a couple of seconds. I was about to call her name but she spoke...

 

 

 

 

 

 

"Because I'm one of them."

 

 

A gust of shock and guilt ran through me. Timely, I hit the brakes when the traffic lights turned red. I faced Jennie and she looked at me with a dead stare of pure disappointment and disgust. 

 

 

"Jen..."

 

 

One syllable. It only took one syllable of her name that made her unlock the door and go out.

 

 

I'm a ing jerk.

 

 

 

 

~ ~ ~

 

 

 

 

Days went by and Jennie doesn't even spare me a glance. She's normal, no signs of disappointments and the such. She's even jolly most of the time.

 

 

But that's exactly what bothers me. What... Suddenly I'm someone that didn't happen in her life? I hated being ignored by her. I sent her apologetic messages but not even a single reply, not even a " you Chaeyoung" or "go to hell". None. When I try to confront her, she always find a way to ignore me.

 

 

I can't do this. I need an expert. 

 

 

 

 

~ ~ ~

 

 

 

 

"Lis! Open up!" I shouted as I knocked violently at her door. Yes, she's the expert I'm talking about.

 

 

"What?!" Lisa opened angrily.

 

 

"I need-... " I was distracted and looked at her from head to toe. "Why the hell are you on pajamas at two in the afternoon?" Not just an ordinary pajamas, but with printed monkeys and bananas, plus her hair tied in a messy bun.

 

 

Lisa looked at her self before answering. "Why can't I? I'm studying so hard that I don't even have the sense of time already... And here you are-... Wait, why the hell am I explaining to you?"

 

 

"Lis, I really really really need your help this time, please!"

 

 

"Is this about a girl?"

 

 

"Yes! Wait- how did you-" she cut me off.

 

 

"Park Chaeyoung, I just know someday you'll be asking for help about that... and you've come to the right place." she said and gave off an annoyingly proud grin.

 

 

"Fine! Just let me in!"

 

 

"Come in, child." Lisa offered while sporting her now annoying smirk.

 

 

 

 

 

 

"So... Who's the unlucky girl?" Lisa said with a laugh, but I just rolled my eyes and ignored it. This was urgent.

 

 

"Jennie Kim." 

 

 

Lisa was unresponsive for a couple of seconds. Her face seemed to have recalling a very traumatic experience... and then she snapped.

 

 

"What. The. , Park Chaeyoung!"

 

 

I was startled by her sudden outburst. She shouted at me worse than my mom!

 

 

"What?! Do you know her?" I asked.

 

 

"She's evil! How can you like her?!"

 

 

"What do you mean she's evil? She's more than an angel!"

 

 

"What?! Are you ing blind? Oh my-... my poor Rosie Posie." She caressed and pinched my cheeks. I swatted her hands off of me in annoyance.

 

 

"What the hell?! Why? Tell me!" I demanded.

 

 

"Okay!" she raised her hands in surrender before continuing. "Jennie is Jisoo's bestfriend."

 

 

"What? Then why don't I know her?" I said, a little surprised.

 

 

"Ask that yourself Ms. 'I never ever want to third wheel your annoying asses' Park."

 

 

"Oh."

 

 

"Yeah. 'oh'... So, she's the one who's been third wheeling us even though, in all honesty, there are times when I don't want her around anymore." She rolled her eyes then continued. "She's in love with MY Jisoo. It was so obvious. Jisoo was just so annoyingly oblivious! That Jennie Evil Kim always made it looked like I'm the one who's third wheeling them!" Lisa said those in one go that she needed an ample time to catch her breath.

 

 

"I always catch her staring daggers at me but when Jisoo stares or talks to her, she smiles like an idiot. She's treacherous, Chaengie!" Lisa pouted.

 

 

"So what? You got your girl, right?"

 

 

"Yes! But she still clings to MY girl and Jisoo sees it like it's just a 'bestfriend' thing."

 

 

"Why? IT IS a bestfriend thing."

 

 

"I know! But... Whatever! You just have to see for yourself!"

 

 

"Okay! Fine... so how do I make it work?"

 

 

"What? You still want to make it work?"

 

 

"Yeah. I think I really like her."

 

 

Lisa was at her wits end but gave a sigh of surrender. "Fine. What happened?"

 

 

I explained to her everything and she just nodded in every turn points of my story.

 

 

"So... What do you think?" I asked after I finished.

 

 

"You're screwed. Don't expect anything." Lisa responded in a flash.

 

 

"What? C'mon, Lis! You said I came to the right place! There's got to be something!"

 

 

"Nope." she answered with a dead expression but I knew she was just uninterested and annoyed.

 

 

"Come to think of it Lis... when I get Jennie, she won't be your problem anymore and you'll have your peaceful relationship with Jisoo."

 

 

Lisa's eyes beamed of hope, and I knew right then we're on the same page.

 

 

 

 

 

~ ~ ~

 

 

 

 

 

"So remember Chae, just the right chase alright? Just right to get her attention, not too much that she'll think you'll always be around."

 

 

"Right. Okay, bye gotta go." I ended the call upon seeing Jennie at the hallway. I dashed towards her and pulled her arm slightly.

 

 

"Jen, please talk to me." I pleaded.

 

 

Jennie just stared at me blankly, then there it goes; that deadly stare again. I think, for the first time I'm genuinely scared of a person who's smaller than me.

 

 

"Don't. Touch. Me." 

 

 

Seriously, if I wasn't brave enough, I'll just dash off and forget about everything... but this matters now, she does.

 

 

Before I can even retort, someone interrupted us.

 

 

"Hey Jendeukie! Here are the notes you've-... Chaeyoung-ah!" Jisoo was distracted by my presence. She was a bit thrilled maybe because we haven't seen each other much.

 

 

"You know her?" Jennie asked Jisoo.

 

 

"Of course! She's Lisa's bestfriend!"

 

 

"What? Oh... that explains it."

 

 

"Explains what?" Both Jisoo and I asked in unison.

 

 

"Hmm... nothing! Come on, Chu. Let's grab some lunch." Jennie said while she clings her arms around Jisoo's and literally dragged her away.

 

 

"Wait! Join us, Chaeyoung-ah!" Jisoo looked back even when Jennie keeps pulling her away.

 

 

"No! She said she had other plans." Jennie was quick to object.

 

 

"Oh-..." Jisoo was about to believe it, of course... but I can't let go of a chance like this.

 

 

"Not really! In fact, I was about to invite Jen for lunch." I said.

 

 

"Cool! Let's go!" Jisoo was all smile, oblivious of her surroundings while Jennie made sure that I catch a glimpse of her, rolling her eyes and mouthing "get lost!" to me.

 

 

So, this is Lisa's 'Jennie Evil Kim', I thought while I follow their lead.

 

 

Weirdly enough, I find it cute. I smiled at the thought.

 

 

 

~ ~ ~

 

 

 

"Chu... have some of this." Jennie gave Jisoo a spoonful of her food, sweetly as a matter of fact, not much to my liking.

 

 

I sat across them, I was supposed to be minding my own food but suprisingly, I wasn't so engrossed like the usual.

 

 

So this was what Lisa meant? If I were her, I don't know if I'll be troubled with my girlfriend's evil bestfriend, or to my oblivious girlfriend. What a mess she's in... I thought, but my mind drifted to the word "girlfriend". Am I seriously pursuing Jennie Kim?

 

 

Amidst my thorough thinking, I saw Jennie smiled that "smile". You know, when her eyes formed like rainbows and her perfect teeth showed along with her gums... I fell again. But... there was this other feeling, a feeling of... anger?

 

 

Because I wanted that smile for me... all of it, just for me alone.

 

 

Am I actually getting jealous? It can't be though, I am a very logical person, I never get jealous.

 

 

"Chu... you have something on your..." Jennie noticed that some sauce was on Jisoo's side lip. She removed it herself  with her thumb before  Jisoo could, and she tasted it by her thumb. "I took care of it." Jennie said slyly, and Jisoo just smiled.

 

 

W-What the hell?

 

 

With that, I quickly get my phone and texted for help.

 

 

To: [Monkey] 13:24 : Hey! Collect your girl. At our usual, second floor. NOW. 

 

 

To: [Monkey] 13:25 : Fyi, I'm with her and Jennie.

 

 

 

Why isn't she replying? This is urgent!

 

 

 

 

At about five minutes after my last text, Lisa was in front of us all of the sudden.

 

 

"Yah! Kim Jisoo!" 

 

 

"L-Lisa? Why are you here?"

 

 

"No, the question is why are you here?" Lisa retorted. I think this was the first time I saw her genuinely mad.

 

 

"I'm sorry it was sudden, I didn't get to message you yet. I thought you wouldn't come with me today?"

 

 

"Yeah, because I thought you said you'll just 'hand' something over. Not having a date behind my back!"

 

 

"What? I wasn't-... Yah! Lisa, wait!"

 

 

Lisa walked out before she could let Jisoo finish and the latter frustratingly followed her.

 

 

That was a suprising turn of events. I never thought Lisa could be so dramatic. I chuckled lightly at the thought.

 

 

 

 

"Was that entertaining for you, Park Chaeyoung?"

 

 

If one could spit out a deadly acid with words, it was Jennie Kim.

 

 

"N-No... I was just-..." Before I could finish, she stood up and walked away. In an instant, I was in the same scenario like of that with Lisa and Jisoo.

 

 

I followed her until we're outside the restaurant, I didn't want to cause any more scenes inside.

 

 

"Wait! Jennie, it wasn't like that." I said as I pulled her to stop.

 

 

"I know you're the one who let Lisa know we're here. What, are you trying to ruin my relationship with my bestfriend?"

 

 

"What? No! I didn't know Lisa doesn't know. I just plainly told her!"

 

 

"Whatever, you ruin things just like your bestfriend."

 

 

"What? Why? Because you're in love with Jisoo, isn't it?" I said, growing a little frustrated myself.

 

 

"What? You don't know a thing about me, so stop talking like you got it all figured out!"

 

 

"I know what I saw Jennie, so stop denying it!"

 

 

"Stop acting like you have known me for years, Park Chaeyoung!"

 

 

Jennie stormed out of my sight as I remained numb and speechless to where I was standing.

 

 

As I thought, these things... such as love and romance, are just full of unnecessary dramas and pain. I think it would be better not to be involved anymore.

 

 

Whatever, Jennie Kim. Do as you please.

 

 

I walked away from the opposite direction to clear my head. I checked my watch and I released a deep sigh as I battle with myself whether I have made the right decision or if I'll regret this in the future.

 

 

But thinking again, I was pretty sure that I always made the right decision, so why would I feel this uneasy?

 

 

As I continued walking, I recalled my past decisions and I've never regretted a single thing, like that time when I chose my espresso over that annoying class. I walked out and... I walked out and finished my drink even before I got out of school, then I bumped to this clumsy, small person.

 

 

I stopped on my tracks and closed my eyes out of frustration. I was like preventing myself from remembering that very scene. "Don't. Stop it, Park Chaeyoung." I muttered to myself... but it was of with no use.

 

 

I bumped on to this girl and helped her. I handed her the books and... the way she brushed her hair with her right hand, her little shy smile, the way her soft hand brushed against mine as she reached for the books, the split second we locked gazes, and how I loved how her eyes shone under the warm sunlight...

 

 

It was all detailed now, and I hated how my sensory and photographic memory worked... because I remembered how stunningly beautiful Jennie was, and how I fell for her that very moment.

 

 

I clasped my sling bag tightly and checked for the time again, closed my eyes more intently... and at last, I reached to the most inevitable conclusion, that in a mere nine minutes and thirty five seconds, I, Park Chaeyoung...

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Just made a very, very... wrong decision.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

---------------------------------------------------

 

Hi!
I tried. I tried for it to be shorter but ended up having it with a second part again. Sorry!
Hope you still look forward for the next though, esp. chaennie fans. What do you guys think will happen? :)
Oh, and I tried  uploading a chapter photo. They are too adorable :)))

 

~