The Number Eight

When Night Falls
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 


After the incident, the girls grabbed their meals and shuffled over to their table while ignoring the burning gaze of those they walked by. Umji walked with her head hung low, she didn’t spoke a word after Yuju turned Irene into a human serving dish.

Yuju noticed the quiet girl’s attitude and decided to lighten up her mood as she sat next to her on the table.

“Don’t listen to those girls, some people are into this nerdy girl stuff.” Yuju said as she nudged Umji with her elbow.

“You shouldn’t have helped me Yuju, they’ll come after you too.” Umji replied while staring straight at her plate in front of her.

“What? Guys!” Yuju said as she sling her arm around Umji and pulling her into her. “Our Umji here said that we should stop protecting her. What do you guys say?”

“Our Umji...” Umji whispered to herself after hearing what Yuju said.

“I hate bullies and what that pretty face did to you is something i’m against.” Sinb said.

“First it’s a grab on her wrist, the next time she’s going to be missing some hair on her head.” Yerin said this time.

“Bottom line is you’re our friend now and we’ll look out for you ok?” Sowon said reassuring the younger girl

“Thanks guys.” Umji replied as a smile formed on her face.

Throughout their lunch break the girls managed to laugh and talk a lot more about themselves as they formed a strong bond between each other. There were some tables giving them weird looks and glances but none of them bothered them one bit.

The sound of the bell chimed throughout the cafeteria as the voices of the excited campers started to simmer down to conplete silence.

“Hey campers, gather at the same place this morning for our very first activity at five and those who are late will get a warning.” Taeyeon’s voice sounded through the speakers.

“We should probably get back to our room and get changed or something. I don’t think we’ll want to do anything in these clothes.” Sowon said before she stood up and returned her tray as the other girls followed her.

They left the cafeteria and it was nice to know that no one was looking at them anymore, the fresh smell of the wilderness invaded their nostrils as they followed the forest trail back to their room.

The girls walked in silence, not knowing what to say or where to begin. They were walking along the trail while at the same time admiring the lush greenery of the trees and plants around them.

The sounds of cicadas creaking and birds singing were like a melodious tune which played on repeat. The girls were completely immersed in the in the calming surrounding and walked slowly along the trail.

‘crack’ 

The mysterious and out of place sound caught Eunha’s attention as she turned to where the sound came from. She turned and saw a huge tree which stood as high as a skyscraper with a thick brown trunk. She can’t help but stare at that tree and admire it’s beauty as she stopped in her tracks.

The other girls didn’t even notice that Eunha had stopped following them as they continued along the trail. Eunha didn’t know what was so special about that tree that caused her to just stop whatever she was doing and stare at it.

“Eunha!” The loud voice of Sinb shocked her back into reality as she turned to see her friends far away from her. “Come on.”

“Oh alright coming.” Eunha shouted back a reply before turning back onto the track and walking along it.

“I will have you soon enough.” A voice soft and chilling pierced through the air sending a chill down Eunha’s spine as she turned around and saw a paper now stuck onto the trunk of the tree.

The paper was carelessly torn out of a notebook and had the number eight written on it with a red tint of different shades. Eunha now feeling her legs wobble as she stood there in horror but she knew she had to be smarter. She turned back to her friends and quickly ran back towards them almost in record breaking time as she stopped next to them.

Sowon looked at her with a worried gaze after noticing the beads of perspiration forming on the creases of her forehead. But Sowon wasn’t the only one who noticed as Yuju reached out to touch the shorter girl’s forehead with the back of her hand.

“You alright there?” Yuju asked while checking on the temperature on her head. “Your head doesn’t seem to be burning up.” 

“It’s also kind of chilly out here and yet you looked as if you ran a marathon.” Sowon chimed in while also looking at Eunha worriedly.

“It’s fine! I’m fine, let’s just go get ready ok.” Eunha said but her eyes glued towards the soil on the ground as the memories in her head started to play over and over again.

The number eight.

Not wanting to pressure her, the girls decided to let the situation slide and walked back towards their dorm. While the others walked in front, Umji pulled Sowon back towards her while letting the others walk ahead. She gesturedfor Sowon to bend lower a bit so that she could whisper something into her ear as the lat

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter