Chapter 5

The Warmth of You
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter
Chapter 5

Minju

 

“So imagine this we’re in America, you turn left it’s Disney World, you turn right New York, and behind you? Beyonce.” Yena said.

 

Chaewon rubbed the bridge of her nose, “That is not how geography or the laws of logic works.”

 

“Fine then how about Paris? Baguettes for days, I’m talking a baguette in the morning at night and even one at lunch as a meal or a weapon.” the duck tried again.

 

She made a face, “I’m not going to Paris so I can watch you and Yuri make out in the romantic streets of France.”

 

“Fine then you give an idea Minju!” Yena threw her hands up.

 

They were currently at the student council meeting planning the school’s annual trip. The main problem was that they couldn’t even agree on a location.

 

“How about London?” she suggested.

 

Yujin interrupted, “Yeah I’m more of a coffee than a tea person.”

 

“I have an idea.” Sakura raised her hand. “How about we take a trip all across Japan? That way we save a little money by going somewhere closer and we can go all around the country for less money. With the money we save we could put it back to the school formal and make it the best formal of all time.”

 

Eunbi clapped, “Now that’s a great idea!”

 

“But Saku-chan we’re just going back to our home country then.” Nako complained.

 

Sakura asked, “Hey even if it’s our home, there’s plenty of places you haven’t been before? Remember you told me you wanted to visit Hokkaido before?”

 

“Yeah and it’ll be fun to go home for a bit.” Hitomi chimed in. “I miss all my friends and family.”

 

Yena interrupted, “Wait one minute, I still haven’t given up on the idea of making out with my girlfriend in Paris.”

 

“Yah!” Yuri blushed and hit the duck.

 

She sighed, “Then how are we going to settle this?”

 

“By doing the most reasonable course of action.” Yena said. “Wii tennis.”

 

Sakura jumped up, “You’re on!”

 

Chaewon gave up and pulled out her laptop to do work while she and the rest of the girls gathered up in a circle to watch Yena and Sakura play.

 

“On one side we have the vp of the council Sakura, a known game freak.” Yujin said in an announcer voice. “On the other is the duck and idiot of council Yena.”

 

Yuri interrupted, “Who’s also very cute.”

 

“Thanks Joyul.” Yena kissed her girlfriend’s cheek.

 

Ugh, gross couples.

 

“I bet you twenty that Sakura will win.” Nako whispered to her.

 

She perked up, “Fifty on Yena.”

 

They really did have a gambling problem but she also had a 50% success rate so it couldn’t be that bad.

 

Sakura and Yena positioned in front of the tv and she watched with interest as the game got started.

 

“You’ll lose Sakura, this game is all about athletic skill which you have a negative amount of.” Yena said as they volleyed the virtual ball back and forth.

 

“Hah, if video games were about athletic skill I would never have gotten into it.”

 

“That’s where you’re wrong.”

 

Yena smirked after getting her point. The two immediately started the next set.

 

So….she didn’t exactly know a lot about games or actual tennis but Sakura and Yena seemed to be getting really into it.

 

Their characters on screen were moving around so fast that she was having a hard time noticing where the ball was.

 

Yena was progressively getting pumped up and almost in slow motion, the Wii remote flew out of the duck’s hand straight through the window facing the gardens.

 

They all gasped and ran to the windows and looked down in the gardens where Choi Yoojung was in the arms of Jang Doyeon.

 

“Why god why hit Yoojung with a wii remote from the sky?!” Doyeon screamed. “She was so young and good!”

 

Yena called down, “Actually that was me, sorry Doyeon.”

 

“Get down here you duck! How could you knock out my girlfriend?” Doyeon glared up.

 

Eunbi interrupted, “Sorry Doyeon, we’ll make it up to you somehow.”

 

“Forget that! What about Yoojungie?”

 

Nako popped her head out the window, “Yena will be your slave for a week.”

 

“Deal!”

 

Everyone moved back to their desks and didn’t seem bothered by the broken window.

 

It wasn’t like it was the first time.

 

There was that time she had an accident with a dangerous sandwich, another when her pencil was a projectile missile, and most recently a month or so ago when her backpack went flying.

 

Hey, this time it wasn’t her fault that the window broke! That was a victory for her.

 

Sakura smirked, “Since you knocked out Yoojung that means I win by default.”

 

“Fine but I don’t think hitting Yoojung with a Wii remote is that bad.” Yena defended herself. “Girl has as much good luck as our frog Minju.”

 

She gasped, “Hey!”

 

“Great, we have dance crew practice so we have to run but I’m going to ask the rest of you to take the reins on planning the trip until the dance competition this weekend.” Eunbi stood.

 

Chaewon saluted, “You can count on us.”

 

Eunbi, Wonyoung, Yujin, Yena, and Hitomi walked out leaving the rest of them.

 

Chaewon assigned them all jobs and they immediately got to work.

 

When around an hour had passed and she finished up most of her work she decided to check her phone and saw that she had gotten a kakao message.

 

Minju-ah, want me to take you home if you’re still at school after my dance practice?

 

Chaeyeon had attached a cute frog cartoon emoji with the message that made her smile. She quickly typed a reply and set her phone down.

 

For the last few weeks things had been almost perfect. She had allowed herself to enjoy the time she got to spend with Chaeyeon and had been happy to realize that they were even closer than before.

 

The only thing putting a damper on things was that it seemed like Chaeyeon was always kind of splitting her time with her, Hyewon, and Sakura if they weren’t all hanging out together. It had been the exact thing she had worried about before but it was more now that it was just hanging in the air around them.

 

At some point, wouldn’t they have to confront each other?

 

Even though all three of them hated confrontation?

 

Actually, now that she said that out loud they probably wouldn’t confront each other for a while.

 

“So everyone’s going to the dance competition this weekend?” Yuri asked.

 

Chaewon nodded, “Of course, half the student council is in the dance crew. I have to go to support them.”

 

“Aww you’re so nice.” Nako took out a paper fan with several girls pictures on it. “I’m going to cheer for the Twice dance crew.”

 

Sakura gasped, “Nako, those girls are from our arch rival school JYP Academy!”

 

“Hey don’t judge me, a fangirl doesn’t choose who to stan. She stans who her heart tells her to.” Nako said seriously.

 

She shook her head, “And to think Nako is one of the more normal members of the student council.”

 

It was sad because it was true, this level of ridiculousness passed as normal for the student council.

 

Hyewon looked up from her laptop, “I’m going to cheer Chaeyeon.”

 

“And the rest of the student council, right?” Yuri said.

 

The gorgeous girl shook her head, “No.”

 

Well Hyewon was always honest at least.

 

And maybe it was time she was too.

 

Sakura

 

As she scribbled down her homework she smiled when she opened her textbook and saw in the corner a small doodle.

 

It was a simple sakura blossom but next to the picture was a note from Chaeyeon.

 

If we can survive this chapter, I’ll believe that we can get through anything together

 

The small note was cute and funny, and was awarded to her because she was privileged enough to be Chaeyeon’s seatmate. In fact, all of her notebooks and textbooks had little notes and drawings from the other girl. To keep track of them all, she had began to write them in her journal.

 

Moving her textbook aside she picked up her journal hidden at the bottom of her desk drawer and flipped through it, stopping on one particular passage.

 

We had an incident with Coca-Cola rockets again….that Somi is just as wild as Yujin. The one good thing about getting hit in the eye with a Coca-Cola powered mint was that Chaeyeon cleaned up my eye for me. She was so close, I could smell her sweet citrus perfume and see all her pretty features. After, we talked a bit and I convinced her to sleep on my lap.

 

Oh my god, I don’t know what came over me but looking down at her with her beautiful face and her eyes shut…..I kissed her. And now that I’m writing it down, I guess I can admit it here. I like Lee Chaeyeon.

 

She shut the journal and shook her head, her cheeks still warm after reading. Even now, she could vaguely recall the feeling of Chaeyeon’s soft lips against her own.

 

She didn’t just like Chaeyeon, what she felt towards the girl was more than she could fully understand.

 

The problem was that she wasn’t the only one that felt that way. It had been something she had started to realize weeks ago but it was clear that Minju and Hyewon felt something for Chaeyeon too.

 

Minju who was such a sweet and innocent person that was instantly loveable without trying and Hyewon who drew you in with her own type of innocence and quirky nature.

 

Next to them she felt plain.

 

Without thinking much of it she moved to her window and took a seat in the cushioned seat she had begged her mother to install. Across the way, she was only slightly surprised to see Chaeyeon. The girl that had been running through her thoughts constantly since the moment they met had her own window wide open and was looking up at the full moon.

 

She opened her window, “Hi Jjaeyeon.”

 

“Hi Sakura.”

 

“What are you doing?”

 

“Just trying to relax, I think I’m kind of nervous for the competition tomorrow.”

 

She didn’t know why Chaeyeon was nervous, she had seen the girl dance before and knew she was more than talented.

 

She spoke softly, “I know you’re nervous but you don’t have to be. The way you dance…..it’s obvious that you were born with talent.”

 

“Really?”

 

“Jjaeyeon, you’re really beautiful but it’s when your dancing that I can’t look away.”

 

That compliment seemed to reach the other girl, and Chaeyeon shot her that heartwarming smile she loved.

 

“I’m glad you live across from me, Sakura. No, I’m glad I got the chance to meet you.” the dancer glanced back at the sky. “In this world with billions of people, I got to meet someone who seems to understand me better than I understand myself sometimes.”

 

Lee Chaeyeon certainly had a way with words.

 

“And I’m glad I got to meet you.”

 

And get the chance to fall for you, she finished in her head.

 

For a few more minutes they silently stared up at the sky together, in the easy comfort that they had naturally had since the beginning.

 

“I’ll head in but good night Sakura.”

 

“Good night.”

 

Only when Chaeyeon shut the window and closed the curtains did she get up. Probably to dream about the girl living across from her.

 

Hyewon

 

“Wow, there’s so many people here.” Chaemin said in wonder.

 

She nodded, “There is.”

 

She held hands with Chaemin as they moved to take their seat with the rest of the student council not on the dance team. The competition was being held at JYP Academy that had recently moved into a new modern campus. The huge auditorium was completely packed and there was a sense of excitement in the air.

 

Especially for her because a huge event meant one thing…..snack bar food.

 

In one hand she was holding Chaemin’s hand and in another was carrying a large box of nachos, popcorn, candy, and of course cotton candy. Lots and lots of cotton candy.

 

“This is so exciting!” Yuri said as she sat down. “Yena is going to look so good on stage, I should practice taking pictures now.”

 

Chaewon made a face, “You guys are so gross.”

 

“Why don’t you fall in love and see if you’re still so cool?” Yuri stuck her tongue out.

 

Nako who was wearing a Twice headband and had a huge light up poster nodded.

 

“Love makes us do crazy things.”

 

She blinked and nodded, wondering if the banner she had with Chaeyeon’s name was peeking out of her back pocket.

 

“Where did Sakura and Minju go anyway? They were just here.” Chaewon asked.

 

Nako answered, “Minju said she had to go to the bathroom and then after a while Sakura went.”

 

“I think they went to go see Chaeyeon before she goes on stage.” Yuri said matter of factly.

 

Chaemin nodded, “It’s a classic movie move. You go say good luck before their big competition and the person competing is so touched they fall in love.”

 

“True and on a completely different topic do you guys feel like all these romantic dramas are changing our perception of realistic romance and relationships?” Chaewon said.

 

She found that she couldn’t even pay attention to the conversation. Did Minju and Sakura really go to see Chaeyeon? And if they did would Chaeyeon fall for one of them? BUT WAIT Minju and Sakura liked Chaeyeon?

 

She whispered to Yuri, “Can you be honest with me, do you think Minju and Sak

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter