When The Angel of Love Left The Human Forever

When The Angel of Love Fell in Love

Time surely was running so fast. Kyungsoo really spent his remaining days on earth together with Jongin. He literally stuck to Jongin all the time. He followed Jongin to campus every day, he even joined the latter’s hangout time with his friends. We needed to say goodbye to awkward turtle Do Kyungsoo because he was now a social butterfly.

Kyungsoo also didn’t give Jongin any chance to meet Sehun. He kept telling himself that he would let Jongin met Sehun on his last day on the earth. But unfortunately, his last day on the earth was right in front of his eyes. Yes, tomorrow was his last day. Time surely was running so fast, wasn’t it?

Now he was sitting on the bench, waiting for Jongin to finish his afternoon class. His mind went blank, his face was expressionless, and he looked so lost. He stared blankly at some couples walking hand in hand on the path in front of him. A girl with a boy, a woman with a man. He thought that was a basic rule on this earth. He thought men was destined to be together with women, so he was so surprised when he found out that Jongin’s soulmate was a man.

But, that wasn’t important anymore. Tomorrow he had to prepare a fateful (read: painful) meeting for Jongin and Sehun, then he would shoot the love arrow to them, then both of them would fall in love with each other, and Kyungsoo would go back to the Heaven.

It was indeed a painful plan. Baekhyun one day told him that Angels who came back from the earth would stay with their memory from the earth. In other words, the memory wouldn’t be erased from Angel’s brain. That meant, Kyungsoo would always remember about Jongin, meanwhile Jongin wouldn’t remember him even for a bit. Yeah, God would erase human’s memory about Angels. That was so unfair, right?

He would just go back to Heaven and did his job properly as an Angel. In Heaven, Angels weren’t destined to fall in love with each other. They did know about love, but it was not in romantic way. So, Kyungsoo was the only Angel who experiencing the love in romantic way. He was so pathetic. He fell in love when he wasn’t supposed to fall in love.

Kyungsoo sighed, he was indeed pathetic. He then shook his head. He had to let go of his wrong feeling. In the end, he had to leave Jongin, so his feeling was meaningless. Now all he needed to do was preparing the fateful (read: painful) meeting. He needed to make sure Jongin and Sehun would meet tomorrow, or else—

Wait, what would happen if Jongin and Sehun didn’t meet in a fateful meeting? The Archangel had told him about the consequence, but that was only the consequence for Jongin (and also for Sehun, the humans). The Archangel didn’t told him about his consequence if he failed the mission.

Hurriedly the Angel of Love took out his phone from his pocket and dialed a number. He opted to call Baekhyun since he wasn’t brave enough to call the Archangel.

“What is it, Kyungsoo?” The senior Angel instantly answered his call.

Hyung, I want to ask you about something,” Kyungsoo said. The senior Angel ordered him to just speak, so he continued, “What is the consequence if an Angel of Love failed their first mission on the earth?”

“You failed your mission on the earth? But I think tomorrow is your last day.”

“Yes, tomorrow is my last day, Hyung. I just… I just want to know about that.”

Baekhyun was silent for a moment, but then he responded, “As far as I know, there were Angels that failed their first mission on the earth. Those stories became hot topic in Heaven, you know? Those stories became hot topic with a reason, and the reason is, those Angels were demolished by the God. They were vanished, without any trace.”

Kyungsoo’s gasped at Baekhyun’s explanation. He was a new Angel. He still wanted to experience many things in Heaven. No, he didn’t want to vanish just like that.

“Kyungsoo…” Baekhyun’s voice caught his attention again. “You do not plan to fail your mission on purpose, do you?”

Kyungsoo gulped so hard. He nervously answered, “N-No. Of course I will never do such thing, Hyung. You don’t need to worry.”

And then Kyungsoo thanked the senior Angel and ended the phone call. He put his phone back to his pocket and sighed in frustration. But then he jolted in surprise when a pair of rough palms suddenly covered his eyes. He knew these palms’ texture, he was also familiar with this fragrance.

“Jongin, I know it’s you,” he stated confidently.

He could hear Jongin snorted behind him.

“How can you know it is me, Kyungsoo?” The human asked sadly.

Kyungsoo just chuckled and motioned Jongin to sit beside him on the bench. “We’re living together for almost two months, right? That’s why.”

Jongin smiled softly and landed his head on Kyungsoo’s shoulder. “Yeah, almost two months, and those times were so precious to me. What about you?” He asked in a soft tone.

Kyungsoo’s heart clenched because of that tone. He tiredly landed his head on top Jongin’s head that still on his shoulder. “Those times were beyond precious to me, Jongin,” he answered sincerely.

They let the silence took over the atmosphere. Both of them enjoying the afternoon breeze. It was a beautiful moment. Both of them wanted to treasure it.

All of a sudden, Jongin lifted his head from Kyungsoo’s shoulder. He then stared at Kyungsoo intently. “Kyungsoo,” he called the Angel. “My professor just now told me that there will be a lunar eclipse tomorrow. I want to watch the natural phenomenon with you. What do you say?”

“Lunar eclipse?” The short guy asked back, and Jongin nodded. “I have never seen a lunar eclipse, so it’s a yes. Let’s enjoy the natural phenomenon together!”

Jongin chuckled while Kyungsoo’s soft hair. “We can watch the lunar eclipse on the dormitory’s rooftop. I will ask permission from Minseok Hyung. That will be great,” he said enthusiastically.

Kyungsoo just smiled calmly and grabbed Jongin’s hand on his hair. He held it so tightly and then he landed his head on Jongin’s shoulder. Jongin moved his hand a bit and now he was holding hands with Kyungsoo. The Angel’s head was still on his shoulder.

“I wish the time could stop now, Kyungsoo. It’s a beautiful moment,” the human whispered softly. “Please always stay by my side, Kyungsoo. I don’t want anyone but you.”

The Angel’s tears were falling because of Jongin’s miserable request. If he could stay by Jongin’s side, of course he would stay forever. But, he couldn’t betray the destiny. Jongin was destined to be with someone else, and he couldn’t do anything about that. Or… could he? Could he change the destiny?


So, the night for the lunar eclipse phenomenon finally came. Jongin told Kyungsoo that the total lunar eclipse would occur at midnight, so they climbed the stairs to the rooftop an hour before midnight.

For your information, Kyungsoo did not let Jongin met Sehun today. He literally locked Jongin inside their room the whole day. He didn’t even give Jongin any alibi this time. He just said that he wanted to cuddle with Jongin inside their room all day, and the latter didn’t complain about that.

Kyungsoo didn’t let Jongin met Sehun today, so it could be concluded that Kyungsoo really wanted to change the destiny. Their destiny. You could call him selfish for ruining Jongin’s fate. Yeah, Do Kyungsoo was indeed selfish about his own feeling right now. He couldn’t let Jongin go to another man’s embrace. No, never. So, the Angel really did it. He did betray the destiny because the destiny was against him.

Now the human and the Angel already on the rooftop. The process of the total lunar eclipse had been starting since few minutes ago. Thankfully, the sky was so clear without any thick cloud.

“Wow, the shadow is eating the moon,” Jongin commented in awe. Eyes looked up at the sky, at the moon that began to lose its part little by little.

“It’s the first time for me watching an eclipse. It’s amazing,” the Angel responded.

Kyungsoo and Jongin now sitting on the cold cement. They sitting next to each other, almost no space between them.

“But, I wonder. Why don’t other students come here with us to watch the eclipse?” Kyungsoo asked.

Jongin smiled bashfully while scratching his nape. “I told Minseok Hyung not to let any other students to come here, Kyungsoo. I want to enjoy this moment with you, only with you.”

Kyungsoo turned to Jongin and blinked. The latter still smiling bashfully and that was a cute scene. This time Kyungsoo was the one who tousled Jongin’s hair. “Our little Chickenman is so selfish, right?” He teased naughtily.

“Yeah, I’m so selfish,” Jongin admitted.

Jongin was looking up at the sky again, but Kyungsoo was still staring at the handsome man. “I’m also selfish for wanting to be with you forever, Jongin,” he whispered softly, hoping that Jongin wouldn’t catch his whisper, but to his dismay, Jongin did catch it.

The tanned male now staring at Kyungsoo intently. “Kyungsoo, I…” Jongin spoke, but he didn’t continue it. Instead, he ducked his head and fiddled his fingers on his lap. He then took a deep breath before looking at Kyungsoo again. “Do you know why I didn’t allow my friends to arrange blind dates for me, Kyungsoo?” He then asked.

Kyungsoo furrowed his thick eyebrows and answered, “Because they didn’t know your ideal type. You had told me about that before.”

But surprisingly Jongin shook his head violently. “That’s not the real reason,” he said. “I didn’t allow my friends to arrange blind dates for me because… because they arranged dates with… with girls.”

Kyungsoo didn’t respond. It looked like he was thinking so hard to understand the meaning of Jongin’s sentence. Minutes later, the Angel gasped when he finally understood. He suddenly remembered the Archangel’s words about Jongin. “Jongin, you…” He wasn’t able to finish his sentence.

“Yes, Kyungsoo,” Jongin responded even if Kyungsoo didn’t finish his sentence. “Yes, I’m into guys. I’m gay, Kyungsoo.”

Kyungsoo brought his hand to cover his mouth. It was unbelievable. He always believed that Jongin was into girls, that Jongin was straight. But, the tanned man just confessed to him that he was gay. It was hard to believe.

“I…” Jongin spoke again. “I haven’t told anyone about it before. It’s the first time I told someone about my orientation. I’m so scared, Kyungsoo. I’m scared if people judge me for my orientation. I’m scared if they leave me alone. I’m scared if you leave me alone, Kyungsoo.”

The scene was heartbreaking. Jongin usually was a cheerful guy, he had bright personality, as bright as the sun. But, the Jongin in front of him right now was completely different. That guy was so broken, he was so weak.

Kyungsoo couldn’t see Jongin in that vulnerable state, so he decided to bring Jongin into his embrace. He cried, the Angel was crying because of a human, a human whom he loved wholeheartedly.

“Don’t be scared, Jongin. You’re not wrong. Your orientation is not wrong. Please, please don’t be scared,” Kyungsoo whispered softly in Jongin’s ear. He wanted to promise him that he would never leave him, but he knew that it would be a lie.

“I’m scared, Kyungsoo. Please don’t leave me.”

Kyungsoo caressed Jongin’s back so softly. His tears kept falling from his owl-liked eyes. It was very torturous. Jongin was not the only one who broken, he was also broken.

Minutes passed and Jongin was calmer than before. The tanned male detached himself from Kyungsoo’s embrace and stared at Kyungsoo’s eyes. Jongin’s eyes were red, he held back his tears so painfully.

Jongin’s hand managed to wipe away Kyungsoo’s tears on his cheeks. “Don’t cry, Kyungsoo. It hurts me,” he whispered tenderly. Kyungsoo kept sobbing but he managed to nod his head. Jongin then smiled and then he held Kyungsoo hands. “You asked me why did I accept you as my personal cook even if I didn’t know you, right? Call me stupid, but I fell in love with you at the first sight, Kyungsoo. I told you that my ideal type is someone who’s cute, shorter than me, innocent, smart, and good in cooking. I talked about you at that time, Kyungsoo.”

Kyungsoo gasped, and his tears started falling again. His heart beat so hard inside his ribcage. He didn’t expect Jongin’s confession. He did aware of Jongin’s loving gaze and soft tone to him, but he didn’t take it as a romantic gesture. He also remembered their conversation about Jongin’s ideal type, but he couldn’t believe that the latter was indeed talking about him at that time.

“Don’t cry, Kyungsoo.” Once again Jongin wiped Kyungsoo tears away. “I don’t ask you to return my feeling. I just want you to know that I really love you and you’re my precious treasure. Just stay by my side as my friend if you can’t return my feeling. I’m okay with that.”

Jongin smiled weakly, but his smile vanished when Kyungsoo suddenly hugged him. “Stupid, Chickenman,” the Angel spoke in between his sobs. “I thought I was the one with that feeling, I didn’t expect you to feel the same. But, I love you too, Jongin. I really do.”

Jongin widened his eyes, he couldn’t believe his ears. He then pushed Kyungsoo small body carefully and stared into Kyungsoo’s round eyes. “What did you say, Kyungsoo? I think there’s a problem with my ears.”

Way to ruin a romantic moment, Kim Jongin. But Kyungsoo just chuckled and surprisingly he kissed Jongin’s left cheek. “I love you too, my Chickenman.”

Now Jongin was like a statue with wide eyes and open mouth. Completely like an idiot.

“Close your mouth, Jongin. Or, want me to close it for you?” Kyungsoo asked playfully.

Jongin instantly closed his mouth. Now he smiling from ear to ear. “I’m so happy, Kyungsoo,” he said. “Now that you return my feeling, can you promise me that you will always stay by my side?”

At that question, Kyungsoo’s expression turned darker than before. He just realized that he shouldn’t have confessed his feeling to Jongin. He seemed to give Jongin a hope when actually there wasn’t any hope for Jongin, for them.

The Angel then looked away from the human. “I can’t, Jongin,” he said in whisper.

Jongin frowned at that whisper. “But, why, Kyungsoo? We have same feeling. Why don’t you stay beside me forever?”

Kyungsoo stared at Jongin again. Sadness was clearly there in his eyes. “I… I need to go. Right at midnight, I have to go.”

“What do you mean? What do you mean you have to go right at midnight? Explain to me, Do Kyungsoo!”

The tiny guy ducked his head. Tears started falling again, and he could hear sobs in front of him. Jongin was crying as well.

It was too late, he had to explain it to Jongin. So, he looked up at the human again. “I’m not a human, Jongin,” he confessed, but Jongin just stared back at him in disbelief. “I’m an Angel, an Angel of Love. The God sent me to this earth to guide you to your soulmate, but I just ruined your fate. Now, you will never fall in love with him and your future will become unclear. It’s all my fault, Jongin. My fault.”

“What did you just say, Kyungsoo? What nonsense was that? You’re my soulmate! You’re the only one for me, and I don’t need anyone else but you. And, you’re an Angel, you said? Yes, of course you’re an Angel. You’re my Angel, Kyungsoo!”

Kyungsoo shook his head. He knew it was hard for Jongin to believe in his words. That was like a fantasy, right? But then Kyungsoo turned to the moon. The moon was almost turned into a full dark circle because of the earth’s shadow. Jongin said that the total eclipse would occur right at midnight, so it was almost his time to go.

“I will vanish from your sight right at midnight, Jongin. When the earth’s shadow completely covers the moon, I’ll leave you forever.”

“No, Kyungsoo! Stop kidding me!”

Kyungsoo once again shook his head. He glanced at the moon, and probably his remaining time was only a minute or two. He quickly grabbed Jongin’s hands and stared into the latter’s eyes. “I don’t know what will happen to you after I leave, but please forget me. I love you, Jongin, but please forget me. I hope you will find your new soulmate in the future. I love you so much, Kim Jongin.”

And Kyungsoo’s body began to fade little by little. He gradually turned into lights, and Jongin began to panic. “No, Do Kyungsoo! Don’t leave me, please!”

Jongin was screaming and crying nonstop, but it didn’t stop Kyungsoo’s body to completely vanish. Kyungsoo’s body vanished at the same time as the total eclipse occurred. Jongin was alone on the rooftop.

To be continued