When The Angel of Love Returned to The Human

When The Angel of Love Fell in Love

Jongin woke up the next morning with pain in the head and sore eyes. He had a nightmare and he cried in that bad dream. No wonder his eyes were so puffy and red.

The tall guy then got up from the bed and looked at the bed beside his own bed. He was about to wake his roommate up, but he found no one on the bed. He frowned confusedly, and then he walked to the bathroom. He checked the bathroom, but it was empty. His frown got deeper now.

“Where’s Kyungsoo?” He asked to himself, but all of a sudden, his chest felt so hurt. He squeezed his left chest, it felt so hurt, as if his heart was crying after losing an important part of it.

Then realization slapped him hard. Last night was not a nightmare. Do Kyungsoo was really gone, vanished at the same time as the total lunar eclipse. Now he remembered it clearly. Last night he was crying and screaming, asking Kyungsoo to come back. But, Kyungsoo still vanished without any trace. It was hard to believe, it was like a fantasy, a fairytale. But, this one was a sad ending fairytale.

Yeah, Jongin remembered about that, about Do Kyungsoo. He still had the memories. Last night he came back to his room alone and cried to sleep. He thought it was a nightmare, but it was a reality, a painful reality. He was happy because Kyungsoo returned his feeling, but the happiness was just there for a brief moment before it was gone, turned into an absolute sadness.

“I prefer you didn’t return my feeling as long as you’re still here with me, Kyungsoo,” he whispered to himself weakly. He then lied down on Kyungsoo’s bed, smelling Kyungsoo’s fragrance that still lingering on the bed. “I miss you, Kyungsoo,” he whispered again, secretly hoping that Kyungsoo would be back, but he knew that was impossible. Do Kyungsoo had gone.


Months passed, Jongin was like a zombie in the past few months. After Kyungsoo left him alone, he lost his energy and spirit. It was getting worse when Minseok and Kris asked him about Kyungsoo’s whereabouts (later he realized that he wasn’t the only one who still remembered about Kyungsoo). He felt so sad, but he didn’t want to tell the real story to them. So, he just told them that the short guy went back to his village.

Months passed, Jongin had passed his exam, he had spent his gloomy holiday in his mom’s house, and now it was a new semester.

Months passed, and Jongin missed Do Kyungsoo so much. He missed Kyungsoo’s beautiful face, he missed Kyungsoo’s tasty foods, and he missed Kyungsoo’s everything. He didn’t know that he had fallen too deeply for the Angel. It wasn’t the first time he fell in love with a man, but this time his feeling was so strong. He believed that Kyungsoo was his true love.

Really? True love? A soulmate? He then remembered Kyungsoo’s nonsense about his soulmate. Kyungsoo told him that God sent him a soulmate, but obviously that soulmate wasn’t Kyungsoo. Ah, whatever. He didn’t care about that ‘soulmate’ thing, he only cared about Kyungsoo. It didn’t matter if he never fell in love with that said soulmate.

The tanned male now walking aimlessly in a big building. He had an appointment with a friend in this building, but the said friend was nowhere to be seen. He then fished out his phone from his pocket, then he texted his friend while walking slowly. His eyes were fixed on the phone, so he didn’t aware of a man walking to his direction. In the end, they bumped into each other. Jongin’s phone dropped to the ground because of the crash.

“Sorry,” a man that bumped into him apologized as he picking up Jongin’s phone from the ground. That man then handed the phone to the owner. “This is your phone. If there’s any damage with it, I’ll take the responsibility.”

Jongin accepted the phone and checked its condition. He then looked up at the man again. “My phone is fine,” he responded curtly.

“You sure?” The unknown man asked again, and Jongin nodded. “Good, then. Are you a new student here? I never saw you before.”

“No, I’m a student of Business Department,” Jongin answered.

The unknown man was about to respond Jongin’s answer, but a voice suddenly interrupted, “Jongin! I’m sorry, the professor asked me to help him with his computer.”

Jongin glanced at the man who just arrived. “It’s okay, Tao,” he responded to the man. It was Tao, Jongin’s friend.

Tao smiled, but then he noticed the man who bumped into Jongin before. “Oh, do you guys know each other?” He asked to Jongin and the unknown man.

“No, we just bumped into each other,” the unknown man answered.

Tao grinned and said, “Is that so? I’ll introduce you to each other then.” He then grabbed Jongin’s arm. “So, this is Kim Jongin.” Then he moved to the unknown man. “And Jongin, this is Oh Sehun.”

Jongin silently observed the man named Oh Sehun. He was taller than him and his skin was paler than his.

Sehun offered a hand to be shook, and Jongin simply grabbed that hand. Their hands contacted for a brief moment before they both detached their own hand.

“We planned to eat lunch together, Sehun. Will you join us?” Tao asked Sehun friendly. Those two probably friends since they both were Medical students.

But Sehun shook his head softly. “Thanks for inviting me, but I have an appointment with someone to eat lunch together,” he declined the invitation politely.

A moment later, another young man came into the scene.

“Sehun! You ready to go?” He asked Sehun, but later he noticed Tao and Jongin there. “Oh! This is Tao and Jongin! I didn’t see you for so long, Jongin. How have you been?”

Jongin knew the pretty man. He was Lu Han, a Medical student and just graduated a week ago, just like Kris.

“I was busy, Hyung. But I’ve been okay,” Jongin simply answer.

“You two were about to eat lunch together? How about you two join us? I and Sehun also want to eat lunch,” Lu Han suggested.

But Sehun suddenly grabbed Lu Han’s arm and whisper into the pretty boy’s ear, “Hyung, you promised me that today is only for us.”

Apparently the whisper was loud enough, both Jongin and Tao could hear it clearly. Tao then laughed and said, “Don’t worry, Sehun. We won’t disturb your quality time with Lu Han Hyung.” He then winked playfully.

Lu Han just waved his hand while laughing hysterically. “We have to go now. This baby boy will not stop whining if I don’t comply his wish,” he said.

Sehun and Lu Han then excused themselves and left Jongin and Tao.

Jongin was about to push Tao’s tall body so they could walk immediately to the restaurant, but he stopped when he saw Tao giggling suspiciously. “What’s so funny?” He asked.

Tao glanced at him but didn’t stop giggling. “Sehun and Lu Han Hyung are so cute, aren’t they?” He asked back.

“What do you mean?” Jongin couldn’t help but asked again.

Tao stopped giggling then leaned closer to Jongin’s ear. He then whispered, “They didn’t tell anyone about it, but I know they’re dating.”

Jongin’s eyes widened. What did Tao just say? Sehun and Lu Han dating? But, they were both guys, right? Jongin couldn’t believe it, but now he knew that he wasn’t the one who swings that way. He secretly sighed in relief. But he didn’t have much time to celebrate since Tao motioned him to walk. The Medical student said that he was so hungry and he couldn’t wait any longer.

“Where do you want to eat, Jongin?” The Chinese guy asked.

“You choose,” Jongin lazily answered.

Tao furrowed his eyebrows. “I’m so hungry, so we better go to the closest restaurant. You agree?” He asked, and Jongin just simply nodded.

The closest restaurant, Tao said. But, they needed to go by a bus for ten minutes to finally reach the destination. He shouldn’t believe in Tao’s bull anymore.

They finally arrived at Gongxi Noodles Bar. Jongin felt so nostalgic here. He remembered when he and Kyungsoo eat at this place together. Ah, he really missed the cute guy.

It was not exactly a lunch break, so the restaurant wasn’t so crowded. Both of them decided to order jjajjangmyeon. Once again, Jongin felt so nostalgic. He felt guilty because Kyungsoo didn’t have a chance to taste this food before. If only he knew that Kyungsoo would leave him forever, he surely would bring Kyungsoo here again and let Kyungsoo tasted the delicious black noodles.

“Hey, Jongin. My mom said that playing with food will make you single forever.”

Jongin looked up at Tao. “I didn’t play with food,” he objected.

Tao rolled his eyes and said, “Yeah, you didn’t.” While his eyes motioned to Jongin’s chopsticks on the noodles. Unconsciously Jongin playing with his food.

“No wonder you single all the time, Jongin,” Tao stated.

“You lied. Your mom never told you about that, right? There’s no rule about playing with food,” once again Jongin objected.

“Ok, I lied, but I didn’t lie when I said that you’re single all the time.”

Now Jongin couldn’t object anymore. At his campus, Jongin was popular as Mister-single-all-the-time. When his friends were busy with new girlfriends almost every two months, Jongin was single for one and a half year.

“Why don’t you date someone, Jongin? You’re handsome, tall, and also kind. Many girls are after you.”

Jongin just smirked while kept playing with his food. He didn’t really have appetite since his Angel left him months ago.

“Many girls are after me, but I’m not into girls. What do you think about that?”

Tao was eating peacefully before Jongin confessed his orientation, but now the Chinese guy was coughing so hard. He grabbed a glass of water and gulped it in one shot.

“I know it!” He said energetically. “I’ve known it for so long, Jongin! I know that you’re into boys!”

Jongin’s eyes widened in disbelief. “Y-You know?” He asked.

Tao nodded firmly. “Yes. I know it from your sitting position.”

Jongin abruptly looked down at his sitting position. “What’s with my sitting position?” He asked dumbly.

That question got Tao laughing so hard. “I was just kidding, Boy,” he stated. “I know it because of my gay-dar. You know? Gay radar. When I found a gay, it gave me a beep beep beep signal.”

Jongin rolled his eyes. Yeah, his friend was a kindergarten student.

“I need to use the restroom,” Jongin stated, and Tao just nodded. He was busy with his food once again.

Jongin walked to the restroom, and he also walked pass the kitchen. The kitchen’s door was wide open, and Jongin’s step halted when from the corner of his eyes, he recognized a familiar face. He then fully turned to the kitchen, and his breath hitched. He abruptly walked to the kitchen and was about to enter the room when a man stopped him.

“Sorry, Sir. The kitchen is only for staff,” that man said.

Jongin glanced at the man’s nametag and read ‘Kim Jongdae’ hangul on that thing. Under his name, there was a word ‘Manager’ written proudly.

“I want to meet Do Kyungsoo,” Jongin finally responded.

Manager Kim tilted his head in confusion. “You mean, Chef Do Kyungsoo?” He asked.

Now Jongin was the one who felt the confusion. Chef, he said? Kyungsoo was an Angel, how could he become a chef all of a sudden?

But, the desperate human decided to lie this time. “Yes, Chef Do Kyungsoo. Can you tell him that Kim Jongin wants to meet him?”

The manager considering whether or not he will let this costumer to meet one of their chefs, but Jongin’s gloomy face apparently touched the man's heart.

“Alright, Sir. I’ll tell Chef Do that you want to meet him. Please have a seat, and I’ll be back with Chef Do.”

The young manager then excused himself and entered the kitchen. Jongin could see the man talking to a chef who looked like Kyungsoo so much. The college student then decided to sit on a vacant table not so far from the kitchen. Ah, he suddenly remembered that he left Tao alone. He didn’t care, though. Sorry, Tao.

Three minutes later, Manager Kim walking to his direction, the short chef tailing behind him.

“This is Chef Do, Sir. I’ll leave you two so you can talk comfortably.”

Once again the manager excused himself after bowing politely to Jongin.

Jongin silently stared at the chef with dreamy eyes, but it hurt him a bit because the chef didn’t show any expression. Was this Do Kyungsoo different from ‘that’ Do Kyungsoo?

The tanned male then took a deep breath and said, “Please have a seat, Chef Do.”

Talking formally to ‘Kyungsoo’ was an odd thing for Jongin. It felt like his tongue just uttering new words.

The chef complied silently, but the atmosphere was so awkward since both Jongin and that chef didn’t say any word.

The silence was uncomfortable, so Chef Do decided to speak, “Sir, if you don’t have anything to say, I’ll go back to the kitchen.”

Jongin’s eyes widened in instant. “No!” He stated. “I-I want to talk to you, but I don’t know what to talk.”

“What do you mean, Sir?” The chef asked.

Jongin sadly stared at the round eyes. Those eyes were same, but why did it feel different?

“Don’t you remember me, Kyungsoo?” Jongin whispered weakly, decided to drop the formality. It was so hard for him. He met Kyungsoo, but it seemed like this Kyungsoo was different from his Kyungsoo.

“Sorry, Sir. I don’t know who you are.”

And that answer really broke Jongin’s heart into pieces. Nearly five months ago Do Kyungsoo asked Jongin to forget about him, but now it was Do Kyungsoo who forgot about Jongin. Or, this Do Kyungsoo was really different from his Do Kyungsoo? It was confusing. Probably he and Kyungsoo really weren’t meant to be together. Probably it was the right time to give up.

Jongin then got up without uttering any single word. He was about to walk passed Chef Do when a hand suddenly held his wrist. He looked down and found Chef Do was the one who held his wrist.

“Give up already, Chickenman?”

Jongin’s eyes widened in surprise. His heart started beating loudly again, but this time it was full of blissful sensation.

The human couldn’t hold himself anymore. He hurriedly hugged Kyungsoo who was still sitting on a chair. “I missed you, Kyungsoo. I missed you so much,” he whispered right in Kyungsoo’s ear.

The short man hugged him back and whispered, “I missed you too, Jongin.”

They hugged for few minutes before they detached from each other. Now Jongin sitting on a chair across Kyungsoo again. His hands on the table held Kyungsoo’s hands all the time, didn’t want to let go even just for a second.

“Why did you lie to me just now?” Jongin asked.

Kyungsoo giggled cutely while squeezing the tall man’s hands. “It’s because I didn’t expect you to come here today. I actually planned to surprise you at the dormitory,” he answered.

“But, how can you come back here? You said that you’re an Angel, right?”

“I was an Angel, Jongin. But now I’m a human.”

Jongin furrowed his eyebrows. “How can you—”

“Stop asking, Jongin. Don’t you happy to see me now? I prefer talking about our future than our past.”

That statement was so effective to shut Jongin’s mouth. Kyungsoo silently chuckled because Jongin was now so quiet and didn’t asked him anything again. Typical good boy Kim Jongin.

“How have you been, Jongin?” The shorter male then asked softly.

“I was died without you, Kyungsoo. How could you leave me after you said that you love me? It felt like a nightmare for me.”

Kyungsoo sighed and stared at Jongin apologetically. “Sorry about that, but I had no choice back then.”

“I still want to know how you suddenly come back to this earth.”

Yeah, Jongin was not asking anymore, but he was still stubborn.

“I changed our destiny. That’s all.”

Kyungsoo’s answer apparently didn’t satisfied Jongin. The latter now pouting childishly. “You left me for almost five months and come back just with that one sentence explanation? So unfair.”

The short male chuckled again. “So, you’re not satisfied, huh? Will it be better if I never come back to you?”

“No! Of course not!” Jongin hurriedly responded. “You’ve come back, so I will not let you go anymore.”

Kyungsoo smiled. They stared at each other again in silent atmosphere. Nearly five months was not a short time for them. They surely missed each other so badly.

“Kyungsoo, you will live with me again at the dormitory, right?” Jongin asked again after five minutes they weren’t exchanging any word and just staring at each other.

“No, Jongin. Now I have a house and I live alone.”

“But, why? Don’t you like living together with me? I understand that now you’re a chef, but I need to remind you that you’re my personal cook. I don’t remember I fired you before you left.”

“Yeah, you have not fired me yet, but you’re also not paying me. So, I’m quit, Sir. You better go look for another personal cook.”

Jongin felt like crying. How could Kyungsoo be this rude after his comeback? Jongin couldn’t stop pouting and whining, protesting Kyungsoo’s rudeness.

But of course, Kyungsoo was just acting. “I was just kidding, Jongin,” he said. “If you really want to live with me, then move in with me. I live in an apartment near your campus.”

Now Jongin was grining from ear to ear. “You serious, Kyungsoo? I can move in with you?” Kyungsoo nodded, and Jongin was beyond happy.

And the silence took over again. Once again they staring into each other eyes while smiling so lovingly. After five months, they were into staring contest.

“Kyungsoo,” Jongin suddenly initiated a conversation again. “You know that I love you the most, right?”

Kyungsoo’s heart getting warmer at that question. “I do, and I love you too. So much,” he answered.

“Then, can you promise me this time?” Jongin asked again ambiguously. “Please promise me that you will never leave me again. Promise me that you will stay by my side forever.”

Five months ago Kyungsoo couldn’t promise him because he was an Angel, but now that Kyungsoo was a real human, he hoped Kyungsoo would promise him.

“Listen to me because I don’t repeat myself,” Kyungsoo said. “I, Do Kyungsoo, promise you, Kim Jongin, that I will never leave you again and I will always stay by your side forever.”

And Jongin’s tears started falling on his cheeks. It was so beautiful, felt like a dream. But, if it was just a dream, he didn’t want to wake up. He was happy to be with his Angel forever. Five-month-long wait was worth it. He always believed that his love would come back, and it turned out he was really back. May God bless them with happiness forever.

Without having to give orders to one another, they brought their faces closer so that only a very thin distance remained between the two. And without cue, their lips merged in one chaste connection for the first time. One sweet first kiss was the starting point of their relationship.

“I love you, My Angel.”

“I love you too, My Chickenman.”

The End