When The Angel of Love Learned How to Cook

When The Angel of Love Fell in Love

Kyungsoo thought that this dormitory was only for college student, so he still couldn’t believe he was able to live here. Minseok told him that this dormitory was indeed for college student, but he kindly gave him special permission (for unknown reason). Kyungsoo didn’t think more about it, though. Minseok was so nice. That chubby boy even letting Kyungsoo dropped any formality, asking the secret Angel to address him as an older brother.

Kyungsoo and Jongin arrived at Jongin’s room. It was on the third floor, room number 365. There was no elevator in this dormitory, so they used staircase to climb up here. But, they didn’t talk to each other on their way to the room. They were so awkward to each other.

“So, this is my room. Uh, I mean, our room,” Jongin presented the room once they were inside the simple room.

The room was indeed simple with two single beds, two closets, and also two desks. Thankfully, the bathroom was inside the room as well. There was also a window in this room. The room was quite comfortable.

“But, where’s the kitchen? I'm supposed to cook for you every day, right?” Kyungsoo asked.

Jongin nodded slowly, he walked to his bed and plopped himself on the bed. “The kitchen is on the first floor. There’s only one kitchen in this dormitory, but don’t worry, the kitchen is basically unused by anyone. College students here are lazy asses.” He chuckled. “But, Kyungsoo, you still didn’t tell me more about yourself. Are you also a college student?” He asked then.

Kyungsoo startled a bit by that question. “I... I come to this city to find a job. My parents didn’t have enough money to pay for my college.”

Jongin nodded. “But, working with me will not give you any money, though. You should go find other job.”

Kyungsoo pouted. He felt dejected. “It’s not easy to find a job out there. I think it’s better for me to get an experience first even if I will not get any money from you. I came from a village, and I’m not familiar with this city,” he lied. Just like Baekhyun’s advice.

“Okay, then,” Jongin finally agreed. “But, is it really okay for me to just call you Kyungsoo? I mean, I’m not sure we’re same age.”

Kyungsoo secretly rolled his eyes. If you asked him about age, then Kyungsoo was just like a little baby. He was still so young in Heaven.

The Angel remembered Jongin’s age, so he just pretended to be same age as him. “I’m 22 this year. What about you?”

Jongin’s eyes widened, then he grinned widely. “I’m also 22!” He shouted enthusiastically. “You better get some rest, Kyungsoo. You said you just came from the village, right? You must be so tired. And I think your clothes aren’t comfortable anymore. You’re sweating like a fountain, I guess.”

Kyungsoo’s face reddened. Yeah, true. He was sweating like hell because he was walking for at least five miles before. He was so stupid for not taking bus or taxi.

“Okay, I’ll take shower first,” The Angel decided. “Uh, where should I put my belongings?” He continued.

“You can put your belongings in the closet over there.” Jongin pointed at an empty closet right beside the window. “And you can use that bed to sleep. Just make yourself comfortable,” the tall guy continued friendly as he pointed at the empty bed beside his own bed.

Kyungsoo nodded. He walked toward the closet and started placing his clothes in the closet. He could feel Jongin’s gaze was on him all the time, but he ignored it. The Angel then go to the bathroom to take a shower.


The next day, Jongin was ready to go to his morning class—he looked amazing in black button-up shirt, dark blue skinny jeans, and black boots. Jongin was a sophomore in Business Department, and his schedule was still so tight this semester. He had to wake up early in the morning, and that was not an easy task since he was not a morning person.

Kyungsoo just opened his doe eyes. He lazily got up and looked up at Jongin who was standing in front of a mirror (there was a big mirror hanging on the closet’s door). Oh no! Jongin was ready to go to the campus, but he just woke up. He needed to cook breakfast for Jongin, right?

“I’m sorry. I was too tired so I just woke up. I will go to the kitchen to cook. Please wait a little bit more.”

Jongin turned his body to face Kyungsoo. The young man smiled softly. “Good morning, Kyungsoo,” he greeted sweetly. “Don’t worry, you don’t need to cook for me today. I often skip breakfast and that’s not a big deal.”

Kyungsoo shook his head and stood up. “No,” he insisted. “Skipping breakfast is not good for a young man like you. Let me use the bathroom for a minute then I’ll rush to the kitchen. I’ll cook you special dish this morning.” Even if he wasn’t really sure about that. He needed to practice before he could make any edible food for Jongin. Practice made perfect, right?

But when Kyungsoo was about to go to the bathroom, Jongin surprisingly held his hand. It wasn’t anything, the latter only wanted to stop Kyungsoo. “If you really want to see me eating breakfast properly, then just take a shower quickly then go grab breakfast with me. It’s your first day, and you don’t need to make it hard for yourself.”

Kyungsoo blinked his eyes, and he eyed Jongin’s hand on his wrist. Jongin realized his mistake and quickly let Kyungsoo’s wrist go while muttering a soft ‘sorry’. Kyungsoo didn’t really mind, so he just smiled.

“I don’t need to cook for you this morning? Are you sure?” The secret Angel asked timidly.

Jongin was still staring at his eyes intently while nodding his head surely.

Kyungsoo didn’t know why, but he felt so tiny under Jongin’s intense gaze. In the end, he just nodded back and excused himself to take a quick shower. This is a weird morning, indeed.


Jongin was a simple guy, and that guy was also had a simple taste. This morning, the college student brought Kyungsoo to Isaac Toast. Kyungsoo of course didn’t know what Isaac Toast was. He knew about human’s food, but he didn’t know about branch or shop name on the earth.

On their way to the shop, Jongin told him that Isaac Toast was the most popular Korean breakfast in Seoul. He often went to the shop to grab breakfast.

They arrived at the shop in no time since Jongin’s dormitory was near the shop. Jongin ordered bacon sandwich with a cup of coffee, and Kyungsoo decided to order the same menu. Yesterday he ate ramyun on the way to Jongin’s dormitory, and that was the first time he ate human’s food. Human’s food wasn’t too bad, he thought. And he just realized that last night he skipped dinner, no wonder he felt so hungry this morning. Uh, human’s stomach was so annoying.

“I don’t have much time left before my class, so I only take you here. I hope you don’t mind,” Jongin said before he bit his bacon sandwich.

Kyungsoo managed to answer even if his stomach didn’t stop protesting, “It’s okay. I’m so thankful for this food.”

After that, they were busy with their own foods. Apparently Jongin also skipped dinner last night. They both were so hungry. That was for sure.

After ten minutes, the two men finished their food.

Kyungsoo scowled in disgust after he took a sip of his coffee, and Jongin noticed that expression. “You don’t like coffee?” The latter asked.

“This beverage tasted like poison. How could you drink it in one shot?” Kyungsoo asked back. He was still suffering because of the bitter coffee.

“You should have ordered other drink if you don’t like coffee,” Jongin gave him a useless advice. That was too late, so that was useless, right? If only Kyungsoo knew the taste of a coffee, he would never order a coffee. Too bad, it was the first time he tasted the bitterness.

“Should I order other drink for you?” Jongin kindly asked him.

Kyungsoo felt so bad. He didn’t give anything to Jongin, but the latter already gave so many things to him. “No need, Jongin. I’m okay. I’m not thirsty at all,” he rejected Jongin’s kindness in the end.

“You sure?” Jongin asked again, and Kyungsoo nodded. The taller man then spoke again, but this time so bashfully, “If you not gonna drink the coffee, then can I drink it? It’s such a waste of money if we just leave it here.”

Jongin’s shy expression was a new thing for Kyungsoo. How could he say no to a nice boy like Jongin? So, he nodded his head. But, a minute later he gasped when Jongin started sipping the coffee. Jongin’s lips touched the same spot where his lips landed before. It was called indirect kiss, wasn’t it? Kyungsoo quickly shook his head to clear his crazy mind.

After Kyungsoo’s previous cup empty, Jongin then spoke again, “I will go to campus. Will you be okay going back to the dormitory by yourself?”

Kyungsoo didn’t respond instantly. He was thinking so hard. If he just stayed at the dormitory, he couldn’t monitor Jongin’s activity, and that was not good for his mission. He needed to collect more information about Jongin, so he needed to stay by that boy’s side as long as possible.

“Um, can I go with you to the campus? I don’t have anything to do at the dormitory, and I easily get bored.”

Jongin slightly taken aback by Kyungsoo’s request. “You want me to take you to my campus?” He asked, and Kyungsoo nodded. “But, you need to wait for me at least for two hours. You probably get bored as well,” he continued.

Kyungsoo felt dejected. Unconsciously he pouted and ducked his head so low. He looked like a baby in Jongin’s eyes.

The taller man silently chuckled. He stretched his long hand to reach Kyungsoo’s shoulder carefully. He then gave it a soft pat. “Don’t be sad. I’ll take you with me to my campus, and you can wait for me in the library. You can read books or use the computers there. Sounds good, right?”

Kyungsoo lifted his head again, his eyes shined so brightly at the idea. Just like a little kid, he nodded his head energetically. This time, Jongin couldn’t hold back his laughter anymore. Kyungsoo was just so cute.


The Angel in disguise was just so lucky. He was not bored at all while waiting for Jongin. The latter left him in a public library near his faculty, and he could experience many new things there.

He read several books, most of them were books about cooking. He also used the computer, visited YouTube, and watched some cooking videos. Jongin was so nice to him, and he really wanted to cook something delicious for that boy today.

He also wrote down some recipes on his phone. From the videos on YouTube, he assumed that cooking was not difficult. He was sure he could cook something special for Jongin. He didn’t want to make Jongin disappointed and kicked him out of the dormitory. He needed to stay close to Jongin until his mission accomplished.

He had been waiting for about two hours until he felt a light tap on his shoulder. He turned his head and found Jongin standing behind him. “Your class is over?” He whispered, didn’t want to disturb other visitors in the library.

Jongin nodded and then sat on the chair beside him. “My friends and I will go to an arcade after this. Do you mind coming with us?”

Kyungsoo frowned slightly. He was an awkward turtle. He still wasn’t comfortable enough around Jongin, and being with other people probably made him feel worse. Even if he needed to stay beside Jongin as long as possible for the sake of his mission, but he didn’t want to sacrifice himself in front of Jongin’s friends. “Thanks for inviting me, Jongin. But, I want to go home. I’m... tired,” he answered.

Jongin observed him intently, and Kyungsoo once again shrank under his gaze.

“Are you okay? Should I go home with you?” Jongin asked again with a concern tone.

That tone made Kyungsoo felt bad. “I’m okay, Jongin. I just need to get some sleep,” Kyungsoo assured him.

“But, you haven’t had lunch yet, have you? If you go with me, we can eat lunch together.”

Right, Kyungsoo was hungry and he needed to eat as soon as possible, but that hanging-out-with-friends thingy still was not a good idea. In the end, he told Jongin that he really wanted to go home.

Jongin didn’t want to force Kyungsoo so he just sighed and let Kyungsoo went home alone.


Kyungsoo was smart enough to remember the way back to the dormitory. Jongin also told him about the bus number to the dormitory, so he went home by bus. He started enjoying his life as a human. That was not so bad.

Kyungsoo arrived at the dormitory and was greeted by Minseok.

“Hello, Kyungsoo! Why do you come back home alone? Where’s Jongin?” The cute guy asked.

Kyungsoo yesterday figured out that Minseok was a caretaker of this dormitory. Usually he stayed at the information desk.

“Hi, Minseok Hyung. Jongin went to an arcade with his friends,” Kyungsoo answered.

Minseok frowned at the Angel’s answer. “He didn’t take you with him and let you went home alone? That’s unusual from Jongin.”

“He did invite me, but I rejected his invitation,” Kyungsoo answered again. “But, what do you mean by saying that’s unusual from Jongin?”

“Oh, it’s nothing. Jongin just be his usual self if he invited you. He is just a nice boy. He is so kind and caring for other people. He will never leave a person alone. I think, that’s the reason why he hired you as his personal cook even if you’re basically a stranger. He could never say no to anyone.”

Kyungsoo didn’t respond. He did know that Jongin was nice and kind, but he didn’t know that Jongin was always kind to anyone. Kyungsoo was lucky to meet a boy like Jongin.

Unconsciously the Angel smiled and startled when Minseok snapped his fingers in front of his face. “Earth to, Kyungsoo,” the caretaker .

Kyungsoo couldn’t help but blushing. He then tried to change the conversation. “Hyung, do you know where’s the kitchen?” He asked.

Minseok smiled knowingly, then answered, “Of course. The kitchen is on the first floor. You can go to the right side of this building. The kitchen is on the corner.” Kyungsoo thanked him for his explanation, but then Minseok continued, “You want to cook for Jongin, huh?”

This time Kyungsoo snorted. Kim Minseok was such a tease. He just figured out the caretaker’s real personality.

“I need to buy some cooking ingredients in a convenience store, Hyung.”

Kyungsoo was about to go, but Minseok’s call stopped his motion, “Wait, Kyungsoo!” The chubby man then continued when Kyungsoo was facing him once again, “I went to buy cooking ingredients this morning because my mom said she would visit me today—I’m a good son, so I planned to cook her something. But then she suddenly called me and told me that she couldn’t come because of a reason. I don’t need the ingredients anymore since I’m too lazy to cook, so you can use those ingredients. I put them in the refrigerator.”

Kim Minseok suddenly turned from a tease to a generous man.

“Thanks, Hyung. But I don’t want to bother you anymore. You’re already so kind by letting me stay here.”

To Kyungsoo’s dismay, Minseok stubbornly shook his head. “No, Kyungsoo!” He said. “You didn’t bother me. It’s such a waste if you don’t use the ingredients. You don’t want to see the ingredients rot in the refrigerator, do you?”

Kyungsoo was about to argue again, but Minseok firmly shook his head and glared at him. So, in the end Kyungsoo just sighed and nodded. “Thank you so much, Hyung. You’re so nice to me. I don’t know how can I pay for your kindness.”

Minseok chuckled lightly. “I will assume your debt is paid off if you let me taste your food,” he responded.

Kyungsoo just smiled calmly. He didn’t even believe his cooking ability, but of course he couldn’t say it out loud. So, he just nodded and excused himself to go to the kitchen.

The secret Angel followed Minseok’s direction and in no time he arrived at the kitchen. Jongin was right, this kitchen was basically unused. You could tell by looking at the dust everywhere. Those lazy college students didn’t even set their foot in this place, Kyungsoo thought.

Kyungsoo knew how to do cleaning duty, so he did it. He cleaned the cooking utensils first. He read in the book this morning that cleanliness of cooking utensils was an important thing in cooking.

He spent at least twenty minutes to clean the cooking utensils, and then he opened the refrigerator. Wow, he was so lucky, indeed. Minseok bought so many cooking ingredients, so he didn’t need to worry about that matter anymore. He didn’t even need to spend any money today. So lucky.

The Angel in disguise then checked his phone. He opened his note on the phone to determine what menu to cook. He remembered he saw beef sirloin in the refrigerator, so he decided to cook bulgogi. That dish was not difficult, so he was confident.

The tiny man then started preparing the cooking utensils and took out the ingredients from the refrigerator. He was a fast learner so he didn’t find any difficulty while preparing everything he needed. He started cooking the dish with light heart. He couldn’t stop smiling, obviously enjoying the human activity.

He enjoyed his activities so much that he was unaware of the existence of a man next to him. Just when he was about to turn his body, he jolted a little. “Oh, God!” He shrieked in surprise, hand stayed on his chest. “Who are you?” He asked to the unknown man in front of him.

To be continued