Chapter Eighteen

Seven Men and a Baby

sorry for being away for so long. My mother passed away in July 2019, and then my grandmother passed in October. Both of them were large influences on my writing.

 

Chapter Eighteen

 

It was late and Eun-Jeong had refused to go to sleep for the last few hours. It was past eleven at night and she was being cranky. Yoongi had been trying to get her to go to sleep in the living room before taking her to the bedroom. But it hadn’t worked. “Come on little one,” he said softly as he rocked her, she was crying a little in his arms, monkey clenched tightly against her chest. “How about we go into the bedroom,” he said softly.

 

Yoongi walked into the bedroom. Eun-Jeong going quiet as they walked inside. It was quiet in the room and Yoongi walked towards the bed a little, seeing that Jin’s eyes were closed and his breathing was even. He was sleeping, which Yoongi was grateful for. He looked down at Eun-Jeong and said quietly, “Okay, you want someone to sing you to sleep. My singing voice isn’t the best, just so you know that kid,” he said, with a wry smile on his face.

 

He walked towards the cot and quietly began to sing Jin’s song Awake, his didn’t think his voice was as good as Jin’s for the song since when he rapped, his voice was harsh, unforgiving as he spat out lyric after lyric. Here he was trying to blend his voice. It came out smoother as he had been practising a little recently.

 

Eun-Jeong was quiet, staring up at him as he sang. The voice was different even though the song was the same. She was only half asleep when he had finished, “You want another,” he murmured, rocking her a little more as he began to sing his song, First Love, instead of rapping it. His voice was smooth and it sounded softer than when he rapped. Slowly Eun-Jeong’s eyes began to close, and by the time he had finished singing she was sleeping. Yoongi slumped a little as he held her. Going over to the cot and placing her inside.

 

Yoongi turned around, only to see the open eyes of his hyung, “Sorry, hope I didn’t wake you,” he apologised, feeling a little embarrassed and hoping that Jin hadn’t heard him singing.

 

“I was awake before you came in with her,” he said, sitting up a little. His voice was quiet, not wanting to wake up Eun-Jeong from her sleep, “You have a nice voice when you sing,” he complimented him.

 

Yoongi winced, “I think I’ll leave that to you and the others still,” he told him, a small blush on his face that could barely be seen in the darkroom.

 

“Maybe explore it a little sometimes,” he advised him, “I wouldn’t mind hearing you sing again.”

 

“Maybe hyung,” Yoongi shrugged as he walked over to the bed and sat down, “So how are you feeling?” he asked him.

 

“To be honest?” he asked him, getting a nod, “Horrible. I feel so tired, I think I could go to sleep again. I know I won't be able to though, I think I should get up for a bit, but I don't even know if I would be able to make it to the living room. My throat is a bit sore still,” he answered truthfully, though he glanced away, rubbing at his throat a little.

 

“I’ll get you some more tea and put some honey in it, I think we still have some,” he said, as he tried to remember if they had gotten rid of it.

 

“Thank you,” he smiled as the two looked to the door as they heard the front door opening and a load of voices calling out for them both.

 

“Well, they arrived earlier than I thought,” Yoongi said as he got up to try and stop them from coming to the bedroom. Stood at the top of the stairs, seeing the five of them all at the bottom about to come up and see Jin.

 

“Don’t even think it,” he warned the lot of them before they could even take a step towards him, “Eun-Jeong has only just gone to sleep and if you wake her, you can sing her to sleep this time. Since Jin has a sore throat and won't be able to,” he threatened them as he started to walk down the stairs.

 

“We just want to check up on Jin hyung,” Jungkook said, turning wide brown eyes towards his hyung, hoping that the elder would give in to him and let him see him.

 

Yoongi shook his head, “No, he’s fine, and awake at the moment, but he will be resting in a bit. Now, go to the living room for a while,” he told them, “Then when you go to bed and you can check then, but one at a time!” he added, giving them all a look that told them to obey him or face the consequences.

 

Namjoon nodded to him, “Let's watch a film before bed,” he suggested.

 

“Fine,” Taehyung muttered along with the rest of the maknae line.

 

“Come on, let's watch something exciting,” Hoseok said brightly as he and the three youngest made their way to the living room.

 

Yoongi walked to the kitchen, Namjoon following him as the elder started to make some tea for Jin. “How is he?” Namjoon asked as he settled against the counter and glanced at his hyung.

 

“Tired, sore throat, I think he might have picked something up yesterday, he was out in the rain and got soaked,” he said, shaking his head as he looked through the cupboards for the honey, “Do you know if we have any honey left?” he asked Namjoon.

 

“Over there,” he said pointing to another cupboard, “Jin hyung rearranged things and put them in other places. Telling me it was easier for him to get them when he wanted to use them for cooking.

 

“Okay,” Yoongi said as he walked across the kitchen and opened the cupboard, there was half a jar left. He took it out and added some to the tea he had been making.

 

“For Jin?” he asked.

 

Yoongi nodded, “Yeah his throat is hurting so I thought this might help and let him rest a little more. I’m hoping he’ll sleep most of this away during the night,” he said, picking up the mug and heading towards the stairs. Glaring at Jungkook who was standing at the bottom of them, “Jungkookie, back to the living room,” he ordered.

 

Jungkook slumped, “I just wanted to check on him,” he said, but did as he was told.

 

“I know, but I just got Eun-Jeong to sleep and I don't want to take the chance of her being woken up,” he told him softly, giving the reason why he didn’t want them to go and see Jin at the moment.

 

“Okay,” he mumbled walking through the living room door.

 

Yoongi shook his head and walked up the stairs. He entered the bedroom and walked over to the bed, Jin was still sitting up in bed, looking at his phone and seeing several messages from the others hoping he was okay. “Hey,” Yoongi said, approaching the bed and placing the tea on the bedside table.

 

“Would… would you be able to help me down the stairs. I think I should see the others for a little bit,” Jin wondered, he knew he wouldn't be able to make it without a little help.

 

“Sure, I’ll ask Jungkook to come up and help, he wants to see you,” he said, an amused smile on his face.

 

“Thanks,” he said as Yoongi used Jin's phone to message the maknae and to tell him to come up.

 

“Jin hyung?” Jungkook walked into the room slowly. Glancing around and looking towards the bed as he shut the door behind him.

 

“Hey Kookie,” Jin said softly, his voice sounded a little weird with the soreness he felt, “I want to come downstairs and see you all for a bit,” he told him.

 

“Really?” Jungkook smiled at him, heading to the bed and sitting down on it.

 

Jin gave a slight nod, “Yes, spend a little time with you, I thought it would be nice to get out of bed today at some point,” he added.

 

“And you wanted me here, because?” he frowned, wondering what they had called him for if Jin was going to come down.

 

“I’m a little dizzy and shaky, I don't think I’d be able to manage to get down the stairs without some help. Yoongi thought to call you up to help me,” Jin said, wincing a little at the thought of needing the help. But he knew that he would need it if he didn't want to fall headfirst down the stairs.

 

“I can do that hyung,” he replied brightly getting up.

 

“I’ll grab your tea,” Yoongi said grabbing the mug and heading out to the room.

 

Jungkook went to Jin’s side and helped him from the bed, letting the elder lean on him and then started to guide him out of the room. Jungkook could feel the heat coming from his hyung and the way that he was shaking as they walked out of the room. Yoongi paused and closed the door, letting the two of them head down the stairs first. Slowly they made their way to the living room. The others looked up at the noise and greeted Jin warmly as they all got up and started to crowd around him.

 

“Hey, sit down!” Yoongi demanded of them all. “Jungkookie, help him to the sofa, Jin hyung, you should relax a little there, I’ll get a blanket,” Yoong told him as he went to put the mug of tea down.

 

“I’ll get one!” Taehyung yelled out as he almost falling as he ran out of the living room to find one.

 

Jimin grabbed a few of the pillows so that Jin could recline on the sofa and put his feet up for a while, ” their hyung,” he smiled softly

 

“How are you feeling?” Hoseok asked as he then leaned on the back of the sofa and smiled down at the man.

 

“I’m okay,” he said softly, “a little tired after the walk down the stairs.”

 

“If you need anything, ask one of us, we’ll get it for you,” Namjoon spoke up from where he was still sitting.

 

Jin smiled at them all, “I know,” he said as Taehyung came back with a blanket and shook it out, spreading it over Jin, “thank you Taehyungie,” he said smiling at the singer.

 

“Welcome hyung, I hope you’ll feel better soon,” he said as he sat down on the floor near the top of the sofa, wanting to be close in case the elder needed something. 

 

Jin absent let a hand fall to the pure black hair, ruffling it slightly, “so do I, being ill is not fun,” he said.

 

“Right, we’re going to watch a film and then bed,” Yoongi said, looking at Jin, wondering if he was really up to being down for that long.

 

“Sounds good to me,” Jin said, giving Yoongi a look, knowing what was going through his mind.

 

“It’s my choice this time!” Jimin said as he went to the DVD player and put the disc in that he had been able to choose. They mainly took it in turns to choose a movie.

 

“Right, let’s settled down,” Namjoon said as they all finally started to find seats and settled down for the movie. Jungkook sat beside Taehyung on the floor, while the others went to the sofa and chairs in the room. 

 

The movie played and they enjoyed the time, though they were all asking Jin almost constantly if he was okay or if he needed something. It was a little amusing to the elder, but as soon as the film was over, he was too tired to do anything more than to be helped to bed. Yoongi helped him change into something clean, telling him if he needed help to shower in the morning that he would do so. Soon enough the two of them were fast asleep. Though Yoongi woke up a few times to check on Jin, along with getting woken up when the others all came in to do the same.