Chapter Two

Seven Men and a Baby

Chapter Two

Jin looked at the large house that Sejin had pulled up at. He glanced to his manager a small smile on his face, “Thank you for driving me, I could have done it myself,” he said. He knew how to drive and had done for a number of years. Even had a car waiting back at their dorm car park.

“I know, but Namjoon-ah thought that it would be best if you were driven instead. He didn’t want to take the chance of something happening if you were so distracted by what your parents want you for,” he told him, “Now I can wait here if you want, or I can leave?” he asked.

“I don’t know how long this is going to take. If it takes a while, I can always see if my Appa can drive me back to the dorm. Or find another way,” he said, “So you should go, the others might need you,” he added as he got out of the car.

Sejin remained there for a while as Jin walked up to the front door and pulled out his keys. He hadn’t used his own for a long time. He unlocked the door and walked in calling out for someone as he did so. He could hear the engine of Sejin’s car start up and drive away as he closed the front door behind him.

“Jinnie,” his mother called out to him, “We’re in the living room, come straight here please,” she added.

Jin frowned, it wasn’t the usual loud call that his mother gave when calling him into the house. He walked to the living room and stopped as he took in the sight before him. On the floor was a large brightly cartoon coloured mat and a small child sitting in the middle of it chewing on the leg of a monkey. “What?” he asked as he stood in the doorway.

“Seokjin,” his father greeted as he looked up from the child on the floor.

“Appa,” he greeted, “What’s going on?” he asked as he walked further into the room, closing the door behind him.

“This is Eun-Jeong, she is your cousin's daughter,” he answered softly. “She’s nine months old,” he said as the small baby girl started to crawl towards Jin.

Jin looked down, and noted she was going off the mat she had been placed on and grabbed her, putting her back,” May I ask why she is here?” he said as he sat down on the floor, feeling that it would be safer for him to do so.

“Your cousin is going through a very hard time at the moment. She isn’t able to take care of Eun-Jeong. The loss of her husband has affected her badly,” his mother said softly as she wiggled her fingers towards the baby.

“So, what is it that you wanted me here for?” he asked, suddenly feeling wary as to why he had been called.

“We need someone that will be able to take care of her until your cousin is ready to look after her again. We don’t know how long that will be, but we are thinking it will only be a few months at the most. Your Appa and I can’t do it Seokjinnie,” his mother was the one to answer as she looked over at him.

“What about Hyung? Surely he would be able to look after her for a while?” he suggested, not liking where this was going.

“He would, but he has things going on at the moment,” his father said.

“So we want you to take her in for a while. Like I said it should only be for a few months and then she’ll be going back home. If you can’t then we will have to let social services take her as your appa and I won't be able to look after her, we have a number of business commitments to deal with,” she told him softly, sad look on her face as she watched the baby girl babble at Jin.

Jin looked at the child, he didn’t want her to be put in a place where she didn't know anyone. But even then he didn’t even know her. This was the first time he had met the small baby girl. He watched her as she crawled towards him again, babbling a little as she climbed onto his leg and giggled. Jin gave her a smile, tickling her, “I don’t know if I can do it though,” he admitted softly.

“I know it would be hard,” his father said softly, “I went through the same thing with your brother and you. Never thought I would have enough time to look after a child while I was so busy working all the time.”

“Yes, but this is different. I have a very heavy schedule, we’ve got a comeback stage in four months. A video to film, along with practice and recording the song itself as well. Then we also have the interviews and everything else that comes with promoting a new song,” he said in a rush. He was anxious. He didn’t want the child to be taken away from their family, but he didn’t know if he would be able to cope with her and with the schedule that he and the others had. He watched Eun-Jeong for a moment, looking up “And where would I go?” he asked, as another thought came to him.

“What do you mean?” his mother asked, frowning slightly at her son, the panic in his voice as he asked the last question had put her on edge slightly.
“I don't think the others would be appreciative if I come back to the dorm with a baby. Not only that but we barely have enough sleep as it is. And taking care of a child isn’t going to be helping with that at all,” he said as he tried to think of what he would have to do.

“Yes, I do suppose that would be hard. Well,” she paused for a moment, trying to think of a solution. “I can always help you set up a small apartment near to where your dorms are. You can move in there and be with her. While still being close to your band members,” she suggested softly.

Jin nodded slowly. He didn’t want to think of leaving the others but knew that there was no choice in the end. He couldn't leave the little girl to be alone, “Find me a place please Eomma,” he said softly as he picked up the little girl and moved her into his lap fully, “Guess your going to come home with me,” he told her, tickling her tummy and getting a few giggles from her. He could see that she was looking around a lot, and wondered if she was looking for her mother.

“I’ll have the things that you will need for tonight delivered to the dorm. It won't be a lot, and then when I have a place set up for you, I will have the rest of her things delivered there,” his mother said, a smile on her face as she watched her son.

Jin looked up and nodded, “Of course,” he said, smiling a little,” Oh, I’ll need a way to get back to the dorm. My manager brought me here, but I know he went back to the others. They might need him for something. So is there any chance one of you could drive me there?” he asked, hoping that would be all right.

His father stood up, “Of course. I have a car seat already in the car for her, I can leave it with you when I drop you both off,” he said as he walked towards the living room door.

“Where are all her things?” Jin asked as he got up, picking up Eun-Jeong as he did so.

“They’re already in the car, we only brought out a few things while we waited for you to arrive,” he answered as they reached the small garage.

Jin walked around the side of the car, seeing the car seat in the back behind the driver's side he opened the door and put Eun-Jeong in it. He strapped her in, making sure that they were tight enough. Thankful that the instructions were printed on the car seat as well as it being easy to do. He wiggled his fingers at her, “It’s okay,” he said as he saw her lips wobbling, “We’re going home,” he told her, though he wondered if that even meant anything at all to herl.

His father got in the car as his mother brought a few things to put in the boot, “Her playmat and bottles,” she said as he put them inside, “Take good care of her, I know you can,” she said softly as she placed a kiss on his cheek before going back inside.

Jin went around to the passenger side and got in, buckling himself in he looked to his father, “Thanks for driving me home,” he said softly a small smile on his face. Pulling out his phone for a moment, seeing a few messages from the others, asking if things were okay. He ignored them as he played around with the apps on it.

“It’s no problem,” his father smiled back as he started up the car and headed towards Jin’s dorm. The drive was quiet as neither of them really had anything to say to the other. Reaching the dorm, Jin grabbed the things he would need from the boot, a travel cot, her play mat, a small suitcase full of clothes, a bag of nappies and wipes, bottles and formula as well as some jars of solid food that she was eating. There were other things as well, that needed to go up and his father helped him take them, all of it piling into the living room as they went back and forth a few more times.

“Now,” His father said as he came back down after the fourth trip up to the dorm, “She has a bottle of a morning, afternoon and night. She eats solid food for breakfast, lunch and dinner as well. I’ve written down the scheduled her mother had her on here,” he said as he passed Jin a small piece of paper.

Jin looked at it, noting the times, he could do this, he could work it into his schedule. Maybe, he felt a little doubt creep in asking himself if he was doing the right thing. “Thanks, appa,” he smiled as he then went around the car and unbuckled the baby from the seat and held her as his father started to undo the car seat and take it out. Walking his son up to the dorm one last time, he put the car seat to one side in the entrance.

“I’ll get in touch tomorrow afternoon about a place to stay,” he said, “You’re mother will be sorting that out,” he said softly, “I know you’ll look after her well Seokjin, I know it's a little different, but you do so well with your bandmates, you will with her,” he said, encouraging him and giving Jin that tiny boost in confidence that he was doing the right thing and that it would all be fine.

“Okay, thank you,” he nodded, he watched his father leave and felt a little lost as he looked to the child in his arms. It was almost her lunch time. He had hours before the others would arrive home, and he had to admit, even if it was only to himself, that he was feeling a little nervous about it. “Well, shall we get you some food?” he asked as he bounced her in his arms wondering what he should do to keep her occupied while he did her lunch and maybe a little something for himself.

Going to the living room he saw the suitcase and the bags that were there. He placed her on the floor nearby, keeping an eye on her as he pulled out the playpen and set it up. It took a moment for him to make sure that it was secure. Getting a few of the toys and the monkey she had dropped tot he floor when they arrived, and he put them within and then lifted Eun-Jeong inside, “It’s only for a moment,” he told her softly as she started to cry. “I know I know sweetie,” he said as he knelt down and leaned over the side, running his fingers through he surprisingly long hair, “Play for a bit and then there will be yummy food,” he coaxed as he'd picked up one of the toys and played with it.

It took a few moments before she was suitably distracted by the bright toys and was playing with them again. He closed his eyes and the got up. Going over to the bags he picked out something that he could warm up for her to eat. He looked around and saw the highchair, he winced. There were so many things dotted around the living area. And while it was a lot bigger than their first dorm’s living room. It now looked just as small as that. He sighed, heading to the kitchen and making the two of them some lunch. It didn’t really matter at the moment, how much stuff was out, he wouldn't be there for long. Tomorrow evening he would be in a strange place away from his bandmates for the first time since they had become BTS.