In a Different Realm

Till The Last Second
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Mina's head popped up and the sound of the door click. She was reluctant to admit it, but her heart was racing at the thought of watching a movie (she believes) with Momo. So it was only natural that when she had heard the anticipated click of the door, she'd had everything prepared.

 

"Oh my, you've got everything ready."

 

Mina blushed, not realising how desperate it all seemed.

 

"Oh yeah, I didn't want us to stay up too late," she conjured the quickest excuse she could. "you‘re still recovering from your cold after all."

 

Her elaboration seemed to have worked, Momo cast her a smile as she moved immediately to the right side of the couch.

 

"Let's get this underway then."

 

The two of them watched with anticipation as the scene slowly started to appear, finding themselves more and more immersed. Mina sat down, her back all the way to the left armrest, her knees crouched up onto the seat, waiting eagerly to see what exactly Sana had given them to help.

 

It was just like Sana to give Mina a horror film, knowing perfectly well how intolerant Mina was of all the jump scares. Not only that, it was a paranormal film, making everything so much worse. Sometimes Mina hated the fact that she'd revealed so much life facts to Sana when she was younger.

 

However, Mina did have to give credit to the girl, within 20 minutes, instead of being separated by an odd and uncomfortable gap, the two of them found themselves clutching each other's shirt and burrowing their heads at the scary scenes. Mina hadn't even noticed when they'd managed to inch closer to each other to the point they were pretty much as close you could physically ever get with someone. Mina had her head in the crane of Momo's neck and she could feel Momo's head resting above her own. Her hands were clasped tensely at the uniform at Momo's waist and from what she could feel, it seemed that Momo was doing the same. She could feel Momo's pounding heart and it was almost a miracle that Momo couldn't hear hers. Or maybe she could, not that Mina would ever find out anyway.

 

At the sound of the gradual loudening eerie music, Mina shut her eyes as fast as she could. She really didn't need any more things to stay up worrying about. She felt her breathing fasten as she held onto Momo tighter. It was both a relief and a worry when she felt Momo's breath hitch up as well.

 

Mina trembled at the music, almost driving her insane. It'd now almost been an hour of the film now and she was so close to going into a . She knew something scary was going to happen, but why didn't it help at all? She let a soft gasp, whether it was out of fear or surprise she didn't know, when she felt a soft hand on the top of her head, the hand that had been holding the sides of her t-shirt that she never sensed before now gone. She felt herself relax just a tad bit when she noticed the slow motion that Momo's hand was making on her head. It was almost hypnotic, so oddly calming that Mina would have found herself drifting asleep if it weren't for the fact she was about to pass out from absolute fear.

 

"We could just turn it off if you want?"

 

Mina felt like she was hearing an angel speak after having not heard anything but screams for the past what feels like days almost.

 

Mina nodded in the crook of Momo's neck, where she could smell her scent so definitely.

 

She felt Momo herself draw a breath in as if she were mustering all the courage left in her body to stand up. She unconsciously pouted at the missing feeling of warmth and security when Momo walked to turn off the television, hugging her knees. It was only when the screen had turned black did Mina realise it was the only source of light in their dorm, shrieking at the unexpected darkness.

 

She felt a pair of arms wrapped around her and was going to scream even louder, before recognising the same scent she had been now accustomed to in the past hour. She felt Momo's thumb drag down and away the patches of wetness on her face. To her own surprise, she had let out tears out of sheer fear and brushed the tears off.

 

She felt Momo tug, and she as a veteran in silent communications, knew immediately what she meant and stood up, letting herself be led back into their rooms. Momo switched on the lights on as they passed it, the lights flickering unstably for a few seconds before retaining the blinding white. Mina blinked, allowing her eyes to adjust to such bright light.

 

The two of them brushed their teeth alongside each other, both too scared to be alone even for a second. Mina felt the occasional glance from her peripherals, though to be fair she had cast quite a few herself.

 

The two stood awkwardly in the middle of the room, avoiding eye contact as much as they could. To both their surprise, it was Mina who broke the silence first.

 

"Do you," she began, her eyes darting to Momo's for just a split second. "Want to change out of those?"

 

She glanced down at the outfit Momo was clad in, it being her work uniform. Momo herself looked at what she was wearing, a bashful smile appearing on her face as she said her next sentence.

 

"I'm kind of too afraid to leave now."

 

Mina giggled despite the uncomfortable lingering air.

 

"I can turn around."

 

Momo was just as shocked as Mina at her statement, even if she didn't show it as much.

 

"I-I mean that's if you're comfortable, I'll change myself too?"

 

Mina really was just not herself today. She blames it on the fear and adrenaline still coursing through her blood.

 

"Sure."

 

Mina nodded curtly as she turned around to grab her sleeping clothes, subconsciously watching Momo do the same.

 

She watched as Momo initiated the first move, turning herself around to face the wall opposite her. Mina took the sign and turned around herself. She took off her shirt first, having worn the uniform up until this point. She sighed, barely audible, as she felt the cool air hit her unexpectedly sweaty skin from the movie. Putting the shirt over her head, she ruffled the shirt a bit, smoothening it down. She gulped as she took off her skirt, realising that there was literally nothing separating the two of them. She grabbed her shorts as quickly as she could without fumbling.

 

"You better not turning around," Momo joked, but Mina could hear the coated nervousness in her voice.

 

"What if I am," Mina boldly replied, closing as soon as the words had left .

 

She heard Momo stop all her actions.  To her surprise, she heard Momo speak again with a laugh.

 

"As long as you like what you see." there was a little pause. "Are you done?"

 

She nodded before realising that Momo couldn't see her, laughing at her pitiful self as she cleared .

 

"Yeah."

 

Mina turned around, sitting down at her bed. She glanced to Momo's direction, seeing that she was now leaning against the wall that Momo that she had been facing earlier. Now, she was wearing an oversized shirt that covered her upper thigh that Mina couldn't tell if she was even wearing pants.

 

Mina gulped, wondering exactly where her sanity seemed to have disappeared off to today. ‘It can't get any worse anyway,' she thought, even that contracting her non-impulsive personality.

 

It was at the moment when Mina decided to pat the spot on the bed beside her, that she acknowledged that she'd completely thrown out her brain.

 

She felt a dip in the bed as Momo laid down. Probably more confused than she was. Somehow that made Mina feel a bit better.

 

Mina stood up, walking over to the light switch. She lightly flinched once it was dark again, hoping Momo hadn't seen. She made her way back to her bed and crawled under the covers, protecting her and feet by tucking them snugly beneath. She starred up, facing the ceiling as she felt Momo climb in with her.

 

"It's late."

 

Mina hummed in response, but to be honest, she wasn't even sure about that anymore.

 

"I'm not exactly ready to fall asleep after that."

 

Mina found herself smiling as she heard Momo giggle again, happiness blooming inside her.

 

Mina shifted her head, turning to her left to face Momo. she fought the courage to turn back when her gaze met Momo's.  Instead, she shuffled closer to Momo who seemed to take it as an invitation and Mina found herself wrapped in the now familiar arms once again.

 

"Sana's so mean. You're afraid of scary movies?"

 

Mina laughed as if her previous actions haven't said enough.


 

"Of course. I haven't watched one since moving in to live alone."

 

"Well, you aren't alone anymore."

 

Mina felt her cheeks turn warmer when a pair of lips met with the crown of her head. She instinctively moving her head downwards, only to have buried deeper into the junction between Momo's chest and neck.

 

"Doesn't mean I'll start picking them up anytime soon."

 

Mina felt herself gradually relax into Momo's embrace, her tense muscles now feeling as if they were sinking into the mattress.

 

"Are you doing anything tomorrow?"

Mina thought at the question, having somehow forgotten that tomorrow was even a thing.

 

"No really no. Why?" she asked curiously.

 

"No reason."

 

Mina felt a tinge of disappointment but quickly shook it off. She decided i

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter