Forever-Made Ties

Till The Last Second
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

It was nearing the end of the day and Momo was starting (just starting) to get the gist of everything around here. She had forgotten what the uniform had looked liked and was both pleased that her uniform from year 7 still fit her and disappointed that she hasn't grown since then. Maybe it was just a bit shorter than she remembered but it didn't really matter since they had to buy the senior uniform next year anyway.

 

Momo tapped her pencil against her desk, her leg jumping up and down below. Her eyes drifted around the room, making its way from left to right. Momo didn't know who decided it would be a good idea to have maths in the last period when everyone just wants to cease thinking and Momo didn't care as she let her thoughts wander while her eyes laid on the meaningless textbook in front of her.

 

It seemed as if what happened in the morning had been a dream. In fact, Momo wouldn't have known it was real if Mina hadn't come back to change into school uniform. Momo had walked in a trance to the kitchen, seeing a note on the table that had obviously written for Momo by Mina for her to read, saying she could use whatever she wanted to make breakfast. Reading the note, Momo had realised that she had better find a part-time job so she could contribute to living in the dorm and the groceries.

 

After eating together, Mina and Momo left for the assembly, the corridor relatively empty as they still left considerably early compared to the rest to avoid a crowd. It was only when after the assembly when Mina had to go to class and Momo had to go to the office to get her new timetable, did Momo realise that the whole time there was a hint of jasmine, or was it violet, some sort of flowery scent that had been following her around. After spending more than twelve hours within the girl's presence, it felt quite empty knowing she was gone. Nonetheless, Momo still had to focus on the rest of the day ahead.

 

Classes ran smoothly, she got lost a few times and had to ask Sana a lot where to go and it was quite lucky that they crossed paths frequently. Breaks and lunch had passed and Momo asked Sana why Mina wasn't with them. Sana said something about a dance club or something, which intrigued Momo and she made a mental note to ask Mina about it later.

 

Just before the last period, Sana had come up to Momo in the hallway and told Momo that they've been making plans for an end of year celebration which would be held most likely at a girl's place called Nayeon. Sana said not to worry since Nayeon had insisted that Mina's soulmate should come. Momo accepted and told Sana to pass on her thanks.

 

Her head snapped to the side when she heard a soft thud on the ground. Her pencil had dropped to the ground and she bent down to pick it up while muttering a sorry to the rest of the class.

 

After placing the pencil back in the case so it wouldn't continue to disturb the class, she rested her chin on her hand and looked out the window. The clouds looked a forlorn grey, much different from the morning. From up in the classroom, she got a peek of the front gate of the school with its lush hedges and green grass.

 

Her thoughts drifted back to the girl who's been silently pacing around her head all day. The girl was beautiful, really, and while a tad hard to talk to, was cute in her own way. She liked the way her long dark hair tousled in the morning and how caring and kind she was. Momo didn't want to admit it, but when she'd winced at the sudden coldness against her leg last night from walking into the couch, seeing Mina's eyes look so caringly and concerned, Momo felt her heart beat loudly in her chest. For hours to go, Momo couldn't get the sight of the girl looking at her out of her head.

 

At first, she hadn't thought too much of Mina, just another quiet girl who happens to be her soulmate, but then slowly as she learnt a bit more about her, she realised there was a bit more to Mina that what met the eyes. First, the humming where she just looked so content doing something so mundane, then the look she had given her right before they went to bed. Momo felt as if she saw something she wasn't meant to, but something about the way she had looked at her, something about the obvious feeling of pain in the girl's eyes that neither she or Mina probably could identify, sent a wave of helplessness over Momo. She didn't ask questions, it was better for her to just ignore it. But even putting that aside, waking up at 6 for some meeting, having near top grades which she had heard from Jihyo and now a dance club too?

 

Maybe Momo had underestimated the system. Just maybe did she underestimate Mina.

 

_________________

 

Nayeon and Jungyeon walked out of the school gates, hand in hand. The sky still wasn't clearing up, and it was a worry that it might start to rain soon. Walking down the concrete path, Nayeon chatted happily to Jungyeon, from telling her about her day, to what she had in plan for the party in a weeks time. Jungyeon listened, nodding her head along as Nayeon continued to ramble on.

 

"Hey, Nabongs," Jungyeon spoke up, interrupting Nayeon.

 

"Yeah?"

 

"Mina came today for the track team's training."

 

"Yeah, I know, you've told me."

 

"It's not just that, she well, she seems different."

 

"In a bad way?"

 

"No. In a good way. She met her soulmate the other day."

 

"Yeah I know, she's invited."

 

To be perfectly honest, Jungyeon wasn't even that surprised that Nayeon had invited someone that she didn't even know. She raised an eyebrow even though Nayeon wouldn't have seen anyway.

 

They continued to travel down the pathway, turning onto a street. The sound of a bell could be heard as Jungyeon popped into a cafe for a coffee while Nayeon waited outside.

 

Now, Nayeon isn't the most observant of people so for her to have noticed the little changes in Mina must have meant something.  Looking back, the changes didn't seem that small, just hard to notice. Even in the brief 30 minutes of their chemistry experiment, Nayeon picked up on how less tense she seemed, how she didn't frown as much or even jump as much. It was weird, but even Nayeon felt that Mina's demeanour was, to simply put, glowing more. Maybe it was just because they had chemistry in period 1 that day and she was extra stressed, but Nayeon thought otherwise.

 

Just as she was dwelling deeper into her thoughts, the bell rang again, and out came Jungyeon, holding a cup of hot coffee in her hands and a small paper bag. Smiling, she handed over the bag to Nayeon, saying that it was a treat.

 

Nayeon beamed back at the blonde short haired girl. Nayeon had known Jungyeon for 4 years now, a few months off five but she never seems to please and surprise her. Throughout the years, Jungyeon had always been showing her small gestures as this and Nayeon has always felt that little glow inside her as she smiles at the girl.

 

When Jungyeon dropped Nayeon off back at her home and kissed her goodbye, Nayeon suddenly could understand Mina all over again.

 

________________________

 

Unfortunately, since Momo had forgotten that she needed to go to the office after school for access to the dormitory buildings and to buy a set of keys for herself, she finds herself sitting outside the building, in the now raining weather. The rain wasn't that bad, but the wind continued to lead the rain onto Momo somehow while making everything significantly colder. Not to mention Momo had not bought out a jumper today so she was stuck there, sitting at the edge of the building, not shielded from the rain at four pm when everyone was already under a roof.

Sulking, she leaned against the cold wet building, realising that she didn't have a spare uniform and would probably have to burrow Mina's. ‘Maybe it'll smell like jasmine.'

 

Upon that thought, Momo reached out for her phone, remembering that while she did not have Mina's number, Sana was bound to. As fast as she could, she sent a text to Sana asking if she could have Mina's number.

 

TO: Nono Momo

FROM: Sanake

 

Why, no need for a number to get that girl, she's your soulie ;)

 

TO: Sanake

FROM: Nono Momo

 

Because I'm locked outside the dorm building and I need to know where she is

 

TO: Nono Momo

FROM: Sanake

 

Wow, desperate

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter