Amidst the Old

Till The Last Second
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

Mina could not concentrate the whole time as the principal talked to her. Something along the lines of how she was doing.

 

Mina was one of her year group's stars, exceptionally high grades, but with the recent departure of her parents back to Japan to care for their sick grandma, the school was worried on how that may impact Mina.

 

She was nodding the whole time, physically in the principal's office but mentally replying how she met her soulmate. She kinda regretted just bolting now, because she never even got the name of the Japanese-looking girl with shoulder length brown hair.

 

The loud ringing of the bell snapped Mina out of her trance-like state.

 

"Thank you for your concern, sir, but I'm doing alright," Mina thanked him, standing up to relax in their first break of the day.

 

As soon as she stepped out of the office, she felt a buzz from her pocket.

 

‘From: Jihyo

 

YOU, ME, BENCH RIGHT NOW'

 

‘Well someone's desperate' Mina thought, but she didn't dare ignore her direct orders and found herself hurrying down to their usually bench far away from the rest of the school.

 

She walked down the pathway, walking slightly faster than normal, not wanting to anger Jihyo.

 

She could see the girl looking intensely at her phone when she approached her, probably restraining herself from sending Mina another text to hurry up.

 

Mina sat down next to her, and it was only then did Jihyo look up.

 

"So, how was itttttt?"

 

Jihyo watched in both amusement and fear as Mina slid down to the floor wailing.

 

"She's stupid."

 

"Why's that"

 

"She didn't tell me her name."

 

"Well, did you ask for her name?"

 

"...No."

 

"Does she know your name?"

 

"......No."

 

"And why's that?"

 

"BECAUSE I WALKED AWAY IN PANIC OKAY I DIDN'T EXPECT TO MEET HER BY BEING BUMPED TO THE GROUND!"

 

"Wow, so romantic."

 

"Shut up," Mina sulked, now having somehow gotten up from the ground, sitting on the bench.

 

"What was she like, maybe we can try to find her again."

 

Mina was pouting, looking straight ahead as if her best friend of 10 years had not just asked her a question. Jihyo sighed, perfectly accustomed to Mina's antics at this point. So instead of shouting in her ears the questions again, she simply looked forwards as well, admiring the weather.

 

It was late Spring now, it was getting warmer, but it isn't as bad when your under the shade just like where Mina and Jihyo had chosen to sit. The occasional breeze would whip up, and the sound of laughter and talking could be heard somewhere far off.

 

Jihyo had been still admiring the weather when she heard Mina speak up.

 

"She had brown hair."

 

‘Mm wow yes, Mina. I now know exactly who you're talking about. Brown hair. So exotic,' Jihyo thought, suppressing a snort. Again, just wait it out.

 

"She babbled a lot."

 

‘Well, that's surprising,' Jihyo thought, considering Mina only speaks like fifty words a day.

 

"She kinda had a Japanese accent."

Jihyo nodded at the only piece of helpful information Mina had said. Now they just had to find someone with brown hair and had anything to do with Japan.

 

"She was very pretty. And cute. And sh-"

 

Before Jihyo had the chance to tell Mina to stop herself, she realised the girl had been quieted down by Sana.

 

"You, sit down and listen," she said, jabbing her fingers at Mina, who was already sitting down in the first place."

 

"And you," she looked at Jihyo. "Hey babe," kissing her on the cheeks.

 

Jihyo had been so caught up with everything that happened in the mere two seconds that she didn't even realise that there was a Japanese looking brunette standing behind her girlfriend.

 

"Myoui ing Mina, meet my childhood friend Hirai Momo," she stepped to the side to show the girl waving bashfully at Mina. "Well, technically second meeting. Hehe, see what I did there, Jihyo? I'm so funny!"

 

Now normally, in any given scenario, Mina or Jihyo would have jokingly slapped Sana but this time, Jihyo was still not functioning and Mina was too busy avoiding any eye contact with a pretty pink blush on her cheeks.

 

It was many long seconds of awkward silence before Sana whacked Momo is the head.

 

"You idiot, introduce yourself, get to know her there are only a few minutes left till class starts."

 

"Ow that hurt I'm gonna kill you when you're slee-," Momo cleared upon realising that she was standing in front of her soulmate. "H-hey."

 

"REAL SMOOTH MOMO. AS MUCH AS I WOULD LIKE TO SEE YOU MAKE A FURTHER FOOL OF YOURSELF, I WANNA TELL JIHYO ABOUT SOME PLANS I MADE FOR US THIS SUNDAY."

 

And without another word, she was gone. Poor Jihyo, she was probably still trying to take everything in. It's a miracle how she hasn't gotten a yet with Sana.

 

"Mina right?" started Momo, sitting down next to her. "That's a very pretty name."

 

"Thanks," Mina replied curtly, looking everywhere except at Momo.

 

"So," Momo rattled her brain for more topics. "How did you meet Sana?"

 

"A childhood friend," Mina said meekly.

 

Her voice was so soft that Momo would have missed it if it weren't so isolated here.

 

She was going to be a tough cookie to crack.

_________________________

 

"SANA, SANA I'M DOOMED MOMO-UNNIE DOESN'T LIKE ME."

 

Sana turned to the owner of the most despaired voice she's heard since her very own upon being told that, no she could in fact, NOT move in with Jihyo even though her parents made the best morning pancakes. She was five, okay.

 

Now Mina wasn't a very touchy-feely person from what she knew, the hug in the morning was already quite special, but a full-on cling? That was different.

 

"What?"

 

"MOMO DOESN'T LIKE ME, SHE THINKS I'M A QUIET NERD WHO HAS NO HEART AND PROBABLY WISHED SHE GOT ANOTHER SOULMATE."

 

"She isn't wrong though, sometimes I too wonder if you're capable of any sort of affection."

 

Mina didn't give a reply. Sana's face softened as soon as she heard soft weeping from the girl buried between her arms.

 

"Aw Mina, don't cry. Trust me, I know Momo likes you there's no way no-one wouldn't love you."

 

"

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter