Time and Time Again

Till The Last Second
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

A/N: first off, I'd like to start with an apolody for not updating for the past 2 months yikes. Unfortunately writing has been getting harder and harder but term 2 and 4 tend to be the ones that we're the most busy in so hopefully i can update at least once during the school (hopefully more of course).

 

________________

Mina cheered loudly as she watched the events. It was about halfway through the day now and most of the girls have already finished their events. A majority of them were happy with how they had performed, others not so much and a few still anxiously awaiting their results. 

She had been up for many hours now, and it was starting to take a toll on her. Clouds floated above her, casting patches of shadows on the grass and track.  She was especially thankful that the sun wasn't harsh today or who knows how much more tired she would be from listening to the team complain. 

Admittedly, while watching everyone compete, Mina does realise she quite missed participating in athletics herself. She missed the thrills and adrenaline rush, the breathlessness and most of all the freedom. Though to be fair, it had given her much more time to invest in dance and Mina has always held onto things a little too tight. 

Sitting down on the stairs of the stadium, Mina found Jungyeon talking to Ms Song and made her way over. 

"The girls don't all look like they're particularly pleased on how they did, but they seem to have forgotten that this is most of their first competition," Ms Song had remarked. 

"Right, I'll remind them of that once we're back on school grounds but really, I am impressed myself."

Mina nodded in agreement with Jungyeon's statement because really, they had done a lot better than Mina and Jungyeon had done on their first time. It was nearing the end of the competition and the final event, the relay, was approaching fast. The staff members were already packing away the field equipment, signalling that the relays will soon commence. 

"The girls should be, if they haven't already, be warming up for the relay now. I think they're the second or maybe third group to go. I'll just check on exact times and Mina," Jungyeon said, turning herself to face the said girl. "Could you just go to make sure the four are prepared and together?"

"Would you like them to come back to the main area?"

"Oh right, that would be great. Thanks, Minari." Jungyeon smiled at her. "What would I do without you?"

"Not have a relay team?"

Mina rushed off so that Jungyeon couldn't take back her previous statement, a cheeky grin plastered on her face. Walking up the stairs, she then exited out of the main stadium and onto the field outside. There, she watched the relay team as they went through the baton changes a few more times just to smoothen it out. The nervousness was obvious, showing on their faces and even in their interactions.

They weren't the best, no, but Mina thought that it was quite fluid. Fluid enough to beat most teams anyway. Without waiting for another second, she called the four back in, almost having forgotten what she had left for. 

It was oddly silent considering she had four students following behind her. It was tense, even Mina could tell from afar. The fast short glances and the hesitant smiles gave it all away, not to mention the occasional deep breath that came from all four members. 

She could see Jungyeon searching for the team from where they were, her leg bouncing up and down in a manner that portrayed her more authoritative than a nervous coach. Mina ushered them towards her, whispering to them to stay calm and listen to whatever Jungyeon had to say to them. 

Waiting until all four had made their way over, she sat down on the closest seat. Keeping an eye out on the relay team, she supervised over the rest of the girls, who were mostly doing their own thing now. She was sure she saw a few of them with homework so she didn't have much to worry about. 

It wouldn't be much longer till the activities were over and they would return to school. Mina had to rush to dance right after, and hopefully perfect that part right after the chorus which she seemed to never get right. It was the footwork that threw her off, it was too difficult to keep balance. Afterwards, she would return back to the dorms and hopefully talk to Momo. Mina tensed up slightly at the thought but reassured herself that it had to be done. It had to happen sooner or later and in this case, it was better sooner. 

She had time anyway. Half a day at least, right? First, she needed to remind the team to perform their best before they leave for the race. As long as she kept her cool and prioritised, she'd be fine. Standing up, Mina walked over to the group who was still attentively listening to Jungyeon who was talking twice as fast and starting to look even more nervous than the team was. Mina hadn't been sure it was possible but she would be lying if she said she didn't feel anything similar.

"And don't forget, run on your toes. It'll get you faster. Don't focus on the long strides and remember to pass off the baton correctly. Also you shou-"

"Don't think and run," Mina added, cutting off Jungyeon who seemed as if she would never stop talking. "Jungyeon is making good points and if you can, do incorporate them but remember it's about the running. Your own sprint got you on the team, and if you're uncomfortable with any of that, just stick to your sprint."

The girls had their eyes fixed at Mina. Nodding, they seemed a little less tense. 

"And it's only the first relay. Go out and get used to the feel and enjoy yourselves. Either way, our team would be proud."

Mina finished off with a smile and looked over to Jungyeon who was still in a state of unresponsiveness. Lightly, she nudged the caption which rose a few chuckles from the girls. 

"Right. Good luck, girls, and do your best."

Jungyeon cheered them on as they moved down the stairs onto the main field, waiting for their race to begin.

Relays go by fast, and with every single gunshot, the girls became more and more nervous. Their entire team had stood up now, and were waiting for their race to take place. 

Mina knew they were good, she knew that they could possibly win. It was nerve-wracking for her just to be on the sidelines and she could only remember what it had been like to be in the actual race.

She watched the girls as they dispersed, moving off to their separate starting positions. Their race was next now, and soon it would be over in a matter of less than a minute or so. 

Heart thumping, she watched as their first runner lowered herself into a crouch, hand clasped around the metal baton. 

"On your marks."

She leaned forward. 

"Get set"

Mina held her breath.

BANG.

It was going to be a close race. 

_________________________


Momo didn't really have any plans for the rest of the day. She found herself taking a stroll through the gardens, wishing to familiarise herself further with the grounds. She had hoped Mina would be back by now so she could talk and apologise to her but Momo hadn't seen her since last night. She was slightly disappointed but reminded herself to just get over it. The time would come, sooner or later, and it wasn't like she was avoiding her. 

The sun's rays shone brightly, illuminating the footpath and bringing extra colour into the flowers' petals. Momo let her hand brush past a pretty yellow flower, which Momo wishes she had the knowledge to name. The brick pathway seemed to lap around the school, leading back to the boys' dorms behind but Momo didn't really have the motivation to just walk around the school for no reason. 

She chose a spot next to the beds of yellow flowers and sat down, taking in a moment to enjoy the quiet surroundings for a change.  She noted to come here more often in her spare time, or maybe to even have some time to herself when the new school year starts again. 

There didn't seem to be many people around, so maybe would find herself here regularly. 

As she was about to stand up and leave, she felt a vibrate of her phone in her left pocket. The buzzing continues, vibrating repeatedly as Momo fumbled around for a few seconds before grabbing it out and answering.

"Momo, it's me. How are you doing? Why haven't you called more? Mum misses you."

Momo smiled at the familiar voice, feeling a wave of nostalgia wash across her. She stood up, tracing patterns on the ground with her sneaker. 

"Sorry, mum. I'll call more often from now on," Momo replied. "I'm doing alright since it's the last few weeks. Still getting used to it, but Sana is always here if I need any help."

Momo heard her mum's chuckle over the phone. 

"Ahh, that is good to hear. I'm sure Sana is a dear,  always has been so sweet that girl."

"Mmm, are you calling for any reason mum? Are you still coming over in a few weeks?"

"The only reason I have called is to ask why I haven't heard a single word about your soulmate. At first I thought I would let you explain to me at your own rate but it's already been weeks and frankly, even your father is getting curious now."

Momo pursed her lips, doing her best to make up something to say.

"Sorry, I just hadn't really-"

"It's alright, we'll find out soon, won't we? Also, did I hear you say weeks? Couldn't have, since we'll be arriving in a few days! I can't wait to see you and Sana and especially your soulmate, I'm sure they're great."

"What? A few days? Mum, you're just kidding ri-"

Beep beep beep 

Her own mum had just hung up on her again. Momo had always told her to wait in case she or her friends or whoever she was on the phone with wasn't done and right now must have been one of the worst times ever to be cut off. 

‘A few days. A few days? No way, I still have ages, don't I? She must be wrong, it couldn't possibly be this soon,' Momo muttered to herself. 

She opened the calendar on her phone. 

"HOLY ING BALLS"

----------------------------------

It wouldn't be that long till Mina would finally leave the studio. As much as she enjoyed dancing, and as grateful as she was, Mina couldn't help but to feel some sort of dissatisfaction, a lack of motivation of some sort. Something was missing from her studio life. Was it validation? Competition? Companions? Mina couldn't exactly place her fingers on it. 

She could have left a while ago. Ages in fact but something made her stay. She told herself it was just because she knew she needed the extra practice before the upcoming performance but after she had perfected that part and she still hadn't left, Mina suspected it was something else. 

And after a few more runs of the routine, she reali

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter