Message

Till The Last Second
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Mina was mad. Unbelievably mad. Not only had the girl stood her up, but she had the audacity to ignore her texts and calls. Rolling around in the empty bed, Mina sighed to herself. The faint sunlight peeked from the curtains, somehow lying directly onto Mina's eyes. She puffed and flipped herself once more, balling the blanket into her fists. Her eyes laid on a spot on the empty white wall. Her alarm rung and without delay, she reached her hand out to hit snooze. 

 

Laying in bed, her eyes shifted to the ceiling. Wide-awake, she attempted to curl the blankets around her body even further so they were as comfy as possible. Her mind stood blank for a few seconds but it never took long for it to return to the events of yesterday. She resisted the urge to frown. 

 

Shaking her head, Mina buried herself further into the covers. They were warm, but not as usual. She was fed up with the same thoughts running through her mind all the time, replaying like a broken record. Her eyes continued to linger on the white of the ceiling, only to be interrupted by her phone once more. 

 

This time she rose from the bed, struggling to kick away the covers that she had so carefully sculpted around herself. The blankets fell unceremoniously to the floor, flung over one side. She started at the mess before walking away, sliding her feet into the slippers. 

 

‘Later,' she thought and picked up the clothes laid on her chair. Mina quickly changed in the silence, throwing her sleepwear onto the bed before making her way to the kitchen. 

 

Without any thought, she filled up a glass from the tap, hissing as it splurted out water. It wasn't until the glass touched her lips did she realise how parched was and downed it all in one go. Rinsing the cup, she placed it neatly against the wall and stared outside the window for a second. It was surprisingly gloomy, the clouds hung over the sky like a thick woollen coat. Her lips pursed and she moved away to wash her face in the bathroom. There, she was greeted by her own reflection. An old friend of hers, she could say. She smiled at it, and the mirror ree that was weak half-hearted. She pushed some loose strands back, trying to flatten them down before she gave up and pulled out a brush from the drawer. The slight tugs at her head every time she brought the brush through her hair started to annoy her and she watched her reflection slowly morph into a frowning figure who if anything, looked upset. 

 

And Mina was upset. She felt she had the right to be. Why wouldn't she, when it was Momo herself who had told her to wait there? She made her wait and never came, never even responded. Her chest felt heavy and her eyes dropped despite not being tired. Mina admits that she had been looking forward to their talk and that she had gotten her hopes up. That, in the very least, wasn't Momo's fault. 

 

What was worse was that even after this, Mina couldn't even speak to Momo. Sure, maybe the thought of it now made her hands sweat but back then, when she had the courage after feeling frustrated and betrayed, she could have voiced something with enough confidence and certainty. Now, Mina wasn't even sure of what she wanted to do. Realistically, she had to speak to her but the thought made her head spin. It would be a difficult conversation and she wouldn't know when she would be ready. 

 

What would Mina even say to her? What did Mina even do to have this happen? What hurt Mina more than anything was the lack of explanation. She wanted to fix things, and how can someone fix a problem they didn't know about? But more than that, Mina was afraid. She read somewhere once that people fear the unknown and she hadn't understood the meaning this clearly until now. She feared the conversation because she couldn't prepare for it. Whatever it was, it would be unknown to her. She couldn't prepare herself for the direction of talk, she wouldn't know what the issue was and she has no idea how to even approach this because she didn't do ANYTHING WRONG!

 

Head whirling, Mina leaned against the counter with her eyes closed. She gave herself a few seconds to breathe, and when she opened her eyes again, the same reflection greeted her. She was neater, more presentable but just as empty. She looked at herself once more, scrutinising the mirror before leaving it be. 

 

‘Don't let one thing ruin your day,' she thought to herself.

 

If she wasn't going to do anything about it before the sun sets today then let it be. She didn't let it rest in her mind longer, she simply couldn't. She didn't have the time and Mina was determined to be unaffected, to at least appear fine. 

 

She rushed out and grabbed her keys. 

 

‘No one is going to take your shift for you,' Mina muttered to herself as she closed the dorm's room. 


 

She left the building complex, walking past the empty school ground. No one was roaming the corridors or the fountain area. It was absolutely empty, with the exception of a few lone birds. 

 

Mina quickened her pace, closing the heavy metal gates behind her.

 

____________________________

 

Her eyes shot open at the blaring alarm. Annoyed she turned it off immediately and wished to return to sleep, but having been disturbed, Momo found the task to be near impossible. She cursed at herself for forgetting to switch off the alarm now that she was staying with her parents as she usually accompanied Mina to her bus stop when she had the Saturday morning shift. Recalling the fact made her grimace and she tried to not think about it so much. 

 

The thought of Mina made her heart wrenched. She didn't need to think about her right now. All she needed to do was go back to sleep. Easy. It shouldn't be hard, no not at all. Momo was still tired, exhausted even, and she had no plans today. She could sleep in until whenever she wanted. 

 

Tugging down her shirt which had managed to ride up in her night's sleep, she shut her eyes again but no matter how hard she tried, her previous drowsiness just wasn't enough to return her back to unconsciousness. 

 

It didn't take Momo much longer to hear some clattering from the kitchen downstairs. There was chatter, albeit quiet, but enough to further awaken Momo. When she heard the plates and pans moving, Momo knew there was no point. Even if she did manage to fall back asleep amidst the ruckus, her mum would have her up in no time. 

 

Her parents had been worried the previous night when she returned with gloomy eyes and a defeated look. Her shoulders had sagged and a smile never reached her lips, even when Momo's mum had revealed a dinner that consisted of one of her favourite dishes. Instead, Momo had a few bites before excusing herself and pushing the wooden chair out. She headed up the stairs and Momo's mum was about to intervene when her dad held her arm, telling her to give her some time. Unwillingly, Momo's mother agreed and cleared her dish. They had no idea what had happened, and judging by the hushed voices and whispers that Momo could hear, it sounded as it was most likely about the incident last night. 

 

It had only been a few minutes since she was awake but Momo was already feeling pressured. The burden seemed to never leave her, to find that someone and be with that someone. But what if that someone doesn't want to be with you? It wasn't common but it did happen and knowing her luck, Momo wouldn't have been surprised if that was how it turned out for her. 

 

So why did it hurt? Why does it actually sting a bit inside her chest? Why did she prepare her own little speech and thought about everything so clearly only to have it ruined? 

 

Momo thought it was too cruel how everything she had been working for could have just been thrown away like that. Maybe she should have moved it a day forward, but then it would have been awkward back that night if things didn't work. Maybe that didn't really matter and she should have just learnt to deal with it. Maybe if she had done that instead, she wouldn't have to watch it all disappear because of something she couldn't control. 

 

Chaeyoung.

 

Momo never liked her in the first place. Perhaps she was just being overly sensitive about their relationship, and that's what Momo had thought in the beginning as well but it turns out she was right. For the first time in her life, Momo wished that she wasn't. 

 

She had watched Chaeyoung go up to Mina last evening. She had watched the way she shuffled her feet around and fiddled with her fingers. It was obvious and even Momo could tell what was happening when Chaeyoung began to speak, looking straight at Mina. 

 

And Mina. Mina herself. It didn't really help the way she gazed at the girl like she was the only person in the world. It didn't help that she gave her full undivided attention. It didn't help at all that she was smiling during this and she actually looked happy and pleased, as if this was something that she had been looking forward to. 

 

As if she liked Chaeyoung back. 

 

Momo didn't want to see anything more and didn't stay a second longer. She had turned her back and left. She felt foolish then and didn't want to speak to anyone. When she returned home that night, her only thought was to sleep it off, to make it go away. 

 

Now that she was awake, Momo realises that it does nothing. That the feeling was still there, that she still felt deeply remorseful and dejected for what she had and hadn't done. 

 

But Mina could do what she wants. Their timer means nothing, really. It was just something made to help people. Sometimes it worked, sometimes it didn't. 

 

It was just Momo wished that theirs did. 

 

She knew she was lying when she had disregarded the timer but at the moment, it felt better that way, to downplay its worth and value. 

 

She would get over it, eventually, and things would be better day by day. 

 

The sour feeling inside her subdued for a second, but it never really left. It seemed to stick in the back of Momo's head. 

 

‘Whatever,' she thought. ‘If that's how it's going to be.' 

 

Momo sat upright and leaned forward, groaning as she stretched he

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter