Appreciate What You Have, Before It's Gone

Dear Diary: The Apocalypse, 2012

►►►

"Sehun?"

"Shh... don't speak. Just put your hands on your ears and breathe. No matter what happens don't move."

I heard his voice barely through the deep explosions taking place just two stories above us.

I felt something hit the other side of the mattress. It sounded like it had pierced through. This time I was really scared for my life. If the meteor ripped through the old mattress.. Imagine what it would do to me.. or Sehun.

I jumped out from under the mattress and ran towards him as more rocks shot through, dodging them as best I could.

I saw him sitting in another corner with the gun in his hand. Tears covering his eyes. He looked at me angrily and got up.

I stopped in my tracks. 

"What are you doing? Didn't I tell you to stay where you are?!" He screamed as loud as he could over the noise.

A rock shot past his upper arm, cutting it severely. I watched the drops of blood fall down his arm onto the ground.

"If you don't go back... I'm gonna let these rocks hurt me even more than this." He looked at me with angry eyes, but I could still see a hint of fear through them.

I backed away from him and he didn't move until I sat back in the corner. Rocks flew everywhere but none seemed to come near me.

I pulled the mattress over my head, plugged my ears and breathed slowly. Obeying his every command. After all I didn't want him to die. If thats what it took to keep him alive, then so be it.

The rocks continued falling for another 30 minutes. I peaked around the mattress at Sehun.. His head still pointed down. The dust on the ground absorbing his tears as they fell.

I heard violent storms traveling down as if trying to break into where Sehun had taken me. I tried not to imagine what was happening to every lifeless body upstairs. Though still the thoughts bounced around in my head.

I closed my eyes and thought about this morning when my mom left me frozen pancakes with a note. The note read:

 

Honey, I left you some frozen food in the freezer. Before school you can have frozen pancakes and after you can have the spaghetti. I'm sorry, but I had to leave early today, I  know that I promised to stay home before my trip to California. But something came up and I have to leave today. Your sister and your brothers are staying home, they have no school and I will be back tommorow, at some time, idk.

I know your probably really angry at me and I understand ,but since your father left I have tried my hardest to support our family. You are a beautiful and mature young lady and I trust you enough to leave you with these resposibilities. Please just be patient and I will get you something special, soon. The house has some problems and I need to pay for that. uhhh,

Anyways I hope u enjoy the pancakes. Remember to warm them up in the microwave at 2 minutes. I love you.

Sincerely, Mom

My mother always tried her best for us. Other women wore pretty clothes, died their hair, and put on layers of make up. My mother never does. She is beautiful in her own way.

She has 4 of us to take care of and she still manages to not look worn down each day.

I thought about the last time I spoke to her. It was two nights ago when I came home with that detention.

My mother started yelling at me because she didn't know who would come to pick me up.

Of course at that time I didn't realize. I stormed out of the house and didn't come back until she disappeared back to work the next morning.

My siblings occasionally would hide when I got in an argument with her.

Afterwards I would comfort them and read the youngest a story. He is 7 years old. I thought about his big adorable eyes when he says good night to me every night after I read him his favorite book. The way he says "I love you, big sis" when I leave his room while turning off the light. I look back at his big eyes glowing from the night light right beside his bed before leaving the room without replying.

Once again my eyes were swollen with tears. I thought about the other two. The twins. My little sister. I can share anything with her and she would promise not to tell anyone. My brother. The videogame nut. The one who would be able to fix my laptop the second I asked him to.

My eyes drowned in a salty sea of tears and I wimpered loudly. They were probably all dead now, I thought. Sehun started to pull the mattress off of me.

"Whats wrong?" He looked at me with his hands crossed.

"Nothing... lets just get out of here." I picked myself up and wiped my eyes this time I felt sticky mascara all over my face. I didn't care.

"Tell me what's wrong? Now. We aren't getting out of here until you tell me." 

I sighed. "Well.. I was just worried about my family. Thats all."

He looked at the ground and turned around.

"Come on. lets go." He looked back, grabbed my hand and walked under the hole that I dropped down earlier. It was bigger now.

Sehun looked up and jumped, barely grabbing the side of it. He pulled himself up slowly and disappeared in the darkness past the hole.

I watched for a second. I tried to jump as well but failed everytime. What if he just left me here?

Then a rope fell. The rope had a series of large tight knots on it. On the very end a plank of wood was attatched.

"Step on the piece of wood. I'll pull you up and when you get close enough you can grab the edge of the hole and pull yourself up." He instructed.

As I was being pulled up slowly I wobbled from side to side. I tried my best to keep my balance. 

He held out his hand to pull me up while holding the other side of the rope. I grabbed the edge of the hole and pushed myself up while trying my hardest not to embarrass myself in his presence.

I failed. When I tried to push myself up the edge broke because of the pressure and weight I put on it. He kept his hand in mine and as I fell, he slipped and fell on his chest letting out a loud groan. My voice squeaked as I almost dropped on the hard floor without the mattress, but he held on.

I looked at him as he pulled himself up with his other arm and flung me up with all his strength. I tripped into his arms and he dropped backwards while I fell on top of him. 

As awkward the position was in that moment... I liked it.

After we looked at eachother for a second, he moved over a little and set me down beside him. He put his hand in his hair and looked at the broken hole in the ground. His eyes wide open.

Then he crawled through the small door and I followed him. 

In silence, we walked up the stairs. Darkness surrounded is so it wasn't as awkward. 

I decided to speak. "Sehun? What are we doing now?" 

Then I noticed a bright light where the door had been. Fire raged everywhere. Turning everything into an ugly charcoal color. Destroying as it traveled. 

Sehun took my hand and kicked the door that was half eaten by fire and ran. I of course had no choice but to follow. The building was buring and the bodies looked cremated. The odor was strong and it made me dizzy. Little sparks exploded like firecrackers on a day of celebration. Exept today was no day to celebrate.

He brought me outside. His grip on my wrist tight. It seemed like he didn't want me to leave. 

I turned my attention to the grass. Every inch on fire. The concrete was cracked and pulled apart leaving bottomless pits of death. The sky looked at me with anger as it erupted like a volcano with the few pieces of meteors it continued to produce.

The place I had known forever was ruined. The familiar people pieces of landscape surrounding me everyday turned into nothing. Am I starting to apreciate everything? 

I was...

I looked at Sehun. His hand now cutting the circulation of my wrist. 

I pulled away from him as best I could. "Why are you hurting me?"

He turned around, with his eyes burning and teary. "Why don't you just Shut up and let me do what I want? and quit asking me questions!!!!"

"Well quit acting like you own me!" I screamed back in his face.

"Do you want to die?!" he pushed me as he said this.

I stumbled back.

"Okay, lets just not argue. I'm sorry." I looked down as if ashamed.

He took my hand agressively. "Exactly. Now lets go." He pulled me along until we reached his car.

It was on fire.

"What are you doing? This car is going to blow any minute! We could die here!" I moved back from the car.

"Be quiet. We're going somewhere and theres no other way to get there. Get in." He jumped in the front seat and I did the same." I touched the seat belt long enough to scream at the burn that it gave me. 

"Don't touch anything, alright?!" 

"Fine, I'm sorry." 

At that moment the car swiftly backed up and crashed into another car and as we drove away the car exploded. Small pieces flew everywhere and one shot through the back windshield and pierced through Sehun's back seat. I watched the fire rise up from the exploded car and reach the other cars around it. They too exploded as if they had no other choice but to let go... and die.

I watched the firework of cars eagarly. I felt a bit weird, imagining cars having lives. Then again everything happening was very unusual.

The fire from the car danced in the air as Sehun sped as fast as he could into the city. The smoke rising from the buildings reached the dark clouds and the collision was disturbing. I looked at Sehun, but his focus was on the road. I noticed just now how close I was sitting next to him, looking through the window. He didn't seem to notice anything.

I scooted over a little and his head turned towards me then back on the broken road. I continued my gaze on the beautiful crystal buildings sparkling in the bright sun, even in the winter. As they used to tower above me when I was just 8 years old and my mother occasionally brought me along for some errands. I would look at the sun in the sky touching its small delicate rays on the edges of the building and reflecting on the shiny windows like small laser beems. After my mom would come back I would tell her storys of my adventure, while she was running errands, about flying up to sun and meeting some beautiful little winged creatures at the top of the sparkly buildings.

She would only tell me that I had a great imagination and that I should just wait instead of going on trips to the sun. Now I know she was just being sarcastic, but when I was young I would cry for days. Even when I was young I never seemed to make any friends... people called me weird and an alien. I was a quiet child so I never said anything back, instead I let them spit words at me like it didn't matter at all what they said. After all I had those winged creatures from the sun as my friends.

What am I thinking about?! That was a long time ago.

My focus ran back to Sehun. He was driving through the last part of the city. He was heading towards the Dock at a mph of 120 and still reaching.

"Sehun you've gone crazy! We're in a blazing car with only seconds left until it explodes and your only making it worse with the speed and now you decide to drive right into the ocean?!" I screamed, but stayed away from his craziness.

"I've always wanted to do this.." He laughed.

He unlocked the door. "When I say jump... You will open the door and jump out into the water. If you don't... you drown with the burning car." He said this like it was no problem.

My heart started to pound in my head. I looked out the passenger seat window. The water had small rocks floating on it. Hmmm, They must be really light to be able to float on water.

I looked at Sehun and he smiled at me. Now, that smile was really hot. I looked back out as we edged closer to the edge of the Dock. I put my hand on the car door handle while noticing it shaking.

I listened for the signal.

"Now." He said casually.

At that moment I pulled the car door handle until I noticed that I had forgotten to unlock it. I looked behind me and saw that Sehun was gone. His car door was flailing everywhere and the car continued to go forward. My heart once again pounded in my head.

I unlocked the car as fast as I could and opened the door. It was unusually hard to open because the wind acted as a force on the car as it drove through. I pushed it out with all my might and jumped off from the edge.

I screamed an ear piercing scream as I flew through the air and looking down I thought I was going to hit the dock. The wood flooring would leave horrable cuts... or maybe even leave me dead.

I closed my eyes tightly and before I knew it I felt a stinging splash on my face. My eyes stayed closed as I dropped farther down into the deep depths of the ocean. I opened them and looked up at where there was some light and for sure I used my arms and swam up.

Then something struck me. The time when I was 10 years old. I was swiming in the sparkly new pool at my neighbors house. I was so scared to go in because my mom was too busy with work that she never let me take swimming lessions. Then again I went in because everyone else was having fun.. Why shouldn't I.

The first step I took was in the wrong part of the pool. The 10 foot deep part of the water swallowed me like it hadn't eaten in years. I dropped down like a bomb and all I could do was look up and watch the bubbles popping as they escaped my mouth. I looked at the sun shining through the water and created more bubbles with my hands. I felt as if I was flying. I moved my arms up and down and acted like I was a bird. The most calming moment of my life.

I pulled myself up out of the last bit of water and took a deep breath. My eyes started to wander around as I looked for Sehun.

"Sehun!!! Sehun!?"

I swam to the shallow part of the ocean. Before reaching the beach I called his name again.

Picking my self up from the heavy water on my clothes took some time. When I was successfully up I folded my pants up to my knees and took off my bloody cardigan and started wringing it. My scarf was gone. It was probably somewhere in the ocean.

I sat down and picked up one of the rocks floating in the water. The rock was pretty light and had small burn holes in it. I threw it behind me and got lost in the weird sky again.

"Hey!" I heard a voice from afar. "Did you have fun swimming?"

"Ahh.. Sehun! Your okay! I was worried I would be all alone." I was really only worried about his life more than mine. I guess that was what happened when you really liked someone.

"Don't worry. Uh, I have your scarf here. I think you took it off without knowing and put in in between the seats in the car so I grabbed it for ya." He laughed.

I looked at his face while taking the damp scarf out of his hand.

He grabbed my hand and started running again. I followed him without saying anything and the smoke in the air deepened. The smell was horrable, but I continued watching Sehun. How perfect his shoulders looked from the back as he ran with my arm in his hand.

Everything seemed to happen so fast that I didn't know where we were at. I wouldn't have known anyways because of the damage and distruction. They had taken over the world that I knew changing it instantly.

He led me up a hill and I hadn't noticed but, my legs became heavy and numb from running so much. I ran in my soggy shoes, they squeaked every step I took. My clothes started to dry, but became smelly because the air took in all the stench from the smoke of billions of fires everywhere to the smell of dead rotting bodies.

I turned my focus back on Sehun. He sat down in a small patch of grass. It was One of the few spots there was grass left. I sat next to him and looked at the world. The sky eating up black smoke as if souls were being sent up. I saw random spots of thunder shooting through the dark clouds at the tips of the buildings. Cars were everywhere crashed into the buildings as they fell. I heard a scream here and there until they faded into the quiet darkness. There were probably more people alive down there.

I thought about my family. They were probably dead, but I intended to find out. Tears started to soak my puffy eyes again.

Sehun wiped away my tear and wrapped his arms around my shoulders.

"You want to find your family right?" He looked at me with innocent eyes.

I looked at him with my eyes wide open. How did he know?

 

Okay. This took awhile to update b/c school loves to take over :P

My family expects soo much from me!

I'm excited to update <3

I hope you like :D

Oh and I met some semi famous people in my school. They sang for us. They are called six appeal. Their soooo cool!

The beatboxer was cute (;

lol... anyways I am really excited about his story.

Thanks to my commenters and subscribers <3

I really appreciate the feedback!