The Fall of a Hero is the Rise of Another

Vision: A Neo Era

When Jae Min woke up, he was back in their little shack-like room. He blinked, memories from the previous events coming back to him as he kept his eyes trained on the ceiling. He tried to sit up, only to feel sudden fatigue, and grunting in pain.

“He’s up,” Hae Chan’s voice came.

Jae Min heard a bunch of shifting in the room and tried to sit up once again, only to fail miserably.

“Don’t move too much, you’re in pain,” He heard Jeno’s voice as the boy quickly rushed to his side and helped him sit up.

“What happened?” Jae Min asked, blinking a couple of times until his sigh came into focus and he saw all five of his friends surrounding him on the couch.

“We should be asking you that,” Hae Chan snorted. “One moment I was calling you to come into operation and the next you were groaning and yelling and panting so we went to find you all passed out.”

Jae Min’s head clicked. The mission. “Wait, the mission! What happen-?!”

“Shh,” Jeno was quick to shush him.

“Don’t worry about that. It was doomed from the start anyways,” Mark spoke softly. Suddenly he seemed so big to Jae Min, so much older and wiser, despite the fact that they only had a one-year age difference.

“I- I don’t know,” Jae Min said, shaking his head slowly as he looked down at his hands. He suddenly looked back up at everyone, concern covering his face. “What happened to him?”

“Him?” Jeno questioned, eyebrows scrunching up in confusion as everyone else in the room shared the same confused look. “Who?”

“That guy that was sitting on the bench,” Jae Min said, a bit or desperation in his tone. “He was trying to help me- I think? He- well- he-” Jae Min stopped himself, having sudden flashbacks of the moment. Remembering pretty boy’s face. The frown on his face as he looked down at him. “He was like me,” Jae Min mumbled softly.

Jeno put a hand on the boy’s shoulder, rubbing it comfortingly. “Jae Min… When we found you, you were alone.”

“But-” Jae Min stopped himself again. He looked up at Mark, Hae Chan, Chenle, Ji Sung. They all had the same look on their faces. And the same emotions. The were concerned for him. “I felt it.”

“He had powers?” Chenle asked, raising an eyebrow. Everyone looked at the boy before they looked back at Jae Min expectantly.

“No,” Jae Min mumbled, looking back down once again. He didn’t know. He didn’t understand what it was he had felt. Pain? Grief? Loneliness? Nothing? “I don’t know. I just- I felt something.”

“Well,” Jeno started as he leaned his head on Jae Min’s shoulder. “Whoever he was, he’s gone and maybe we’ll find him later. But we need to focus on your recovery first.”

“Let’s take a break for now, guys,” Mark said, clasping his hands together. “Maybe we could all use a break.”

 


 

It was Friday and Jae Hyun fell back on his couch, releasing a loud groan. He didn’t have to worry about his project with Do Young. For the past few days he had been worrying the guy would force him to work extra hard since they hadn’t had the chance to do much that day their session was interrupted by the call. But it was finally Friday and, like Do Young had told him before, he was busy those days allowing Jae Hyun to rest.

He wondered how he should reward himself for surviving another week without dying. A movie? A movie sounded like a good idea. So he the television and walked over to the kitchen to make popcorn. As he rummaged through the pantry he could hear the news playing in the living room. Something about an attack in the middle of the city and-

Jae Hyun froze, feeling himself shiver. Not again, He thought to himself as he rushed upstairs to grab his hood. “Just one day,” Jae Hyun thought to himself as he began to hurry down the stairs, “All I ask is for one day without something crazy going on.”

Before he could think anymore about the situation, Jae Hyun had walked out the door and, as fast as the speed out sound, he had zoomed through the entire city until he ended up right in the middle of the mess. And there he saw him. Doctor Death.

“You showed up again,” Doctor Death’s voice came, dark and mysterious through the voice generator. “I didn’t think you were that bold.”

“I’ll keep showing up again and again until I can finally stop your terrorizing of the people,” Jae Hyun spoke, loud and clear. Though he would admit, he was scared he sounded weak with just him standing there in the middle of the mess in a black hood while Doctor Doom was floating around with a cool suit and cape and mask and the whole shabam.

“Hmm, is that a challenge?” Doctor Death asked, sending chills down Jae Hyun’s back. He flinched. Was it a challenge? Should he challenge a mastermind supervillain? Was that a bad idea? Was there some superhero guidebook that had a section dedicated to this?

But before Jae Hyun could question any longer, Doctor Death was already using his powers to lift things and throw them in his direction, and Jae Hyun found his instincts pushing him to use his super agility to jump around. It was crazy how fast he could run, how high he could jump, how much he could lift. It made him feel so powerful, but in a good way. In a way he could protect the defenseless ones.

Jae Hyun also though how funny it was, comparing his control over his powers from when he first got them to now. And comparing his first few fights against Doctor Death to now. He was definitely resisting Doctor Death’s attacks much better and not getting completely whooped. Though he still wasn’t doing nearly as much damage to the other as he did to him, it was an improvement.

“You’ve gotten better,” Doctor Death complimented when they stood face to face in the middle of the almost empty street. Most of the people had evacuated, but the public remained just far enough to be able to watch the two without being in complete danger. And there were also a couple of news reporters recording from a distance.

“Thank you,” Jae Hyun responded. “I try.”

Then Doctor Death smirked, and it all came so fast after that. “But not enough,” He said, and Jae Hyun suddenly felt a strong blow. He flew back. He flew so far back and hard, when he landed on the concrete he left a huge dent, making the ground lift up around him like a crater. He could hear everyone around him, gasping, yelling. It was chaos. And then he out.

It was truly an experience he would never forget. An experience no one would ever forget, because it had been broadcasted nationally. It had been put other there for the entire country to watch. Even those in a small little shack-like room not too far from the place of the incident. The Dream team.

“That was-” Mark cut himself off as he camera began to zoom in on the hooded-masked figure who laid lifelessly in the middle of the road.

“Crazy,” Hae Chan finished for him.

They were all stunned. Shocked. Wordless. Since the start they had followed the battles between Captain J and Doctor Death, intrigued by the fact that there were others with powers just like them; And there was someone using them for good. A better good then they used their own powers. And they had all rooted for the courageous Captain J, hoping he could defeat the evil villain. But then this happened.

“We need to go out there and help him!” Hae Chan shouted, turning to face everyone in the room. They all looked at him stunned, clearly still shocked from what just happened.

“Hae Chan-” Jeno began to speak.

“No, don’t start now, Jeno,” Hae Chan spoke, “Captain J is just like us. He has these abilities. He uses them for good, he defeats evil! Something we can't do. But we need to help him. Show him he’s not alone.”

“That would mean exposing ourselves,” Mark spoke out, making everyone in the room turn to him. “We can’t risk that.”

Hae Chan looked back at the screen where Captain J still laid lifeless on the road, no on daring to approach him in the fear that Doctor Death would do something to them. There was only the villain there, hovering above his body as if he was trying to decide what to do with him.

“He’s going to kill him,” Hae Chan pleaded, begging eyes looking through the room.

“He can’t do that!” Jae Min yelled defensively. “Who would protect the people?”

“Which is why we have to help him!” Hae Chan yelled exasperatedly, throwing his hands up in the air. “We can’t leave him to die! He’s one of us. He’s a defender of the people.”

“He’ll get up,” Chenle spoke up, eyes watching the screen once again. “He has too.”

“He can’t, he’s knocked out,” Ji Sung spoke, hands fumbling around as he also watched the screen. “It would be a miracle.”

“But he’s a super like us,” Mark also spoke up. “We don’t die just like that.”

“Jae Min literally passed out in the middle of a park a few days ago because he saw a pretty boy and lost control of his powers,” Hae Chan deadpanned.

“Hey!” Jae Min yelled defensively, but Hae Chan couldn’t hear him.

“We have to help him, guys,” Hae Chan said one last time. “I don’t care if you don’t agree with me, I’m going.”

And before any of the could say anything, Hae Chan grabbed his hood, his bow, swung his arrows over a shoulder, and teleported out.

“He doesn’t have a mask, they’re going to see his face!” Jae Min shouted in realization.

“He carries a mask around,” Jeno said, and they all turned to look at him. He shrugged. “I read his mind once. He said it helps control his vision and, ‘just in case’.”

They all turned back to the screen once again where they camera zoomed in on Hae Chan who came running in out of nowhere, wearing his gray hoodie and holding his bow, while cursing at Doctor Death. Before anyone, including Doctor Death, could process what was happening, Hae Chan was pulling an arrow out, getting into position, and aiming at the villain. And when he let go, there was a loud explosion right next to Doctor Death, throwing him back a bit.

“He hasn’t learned how to mix his vision and teleportation powers with his archery skills yet,” Mark said, a hint of worry in his voice as he leaned towards the screen more and bit his bottom lip. “He can’t win.”

There was another moment of silence where they watched Hae Chan go up against Doctor Death, yelling some things at him that they couldn’t hear. And then Doctor Death’s loudspeaker voice said something about being surprised there were more and so on. They watched as Hae Chan began to use his powers for the first time in a while, teleporting out of sight before reappearing in mid air, shooting another arrow and disappearing once again before it exploded. The audience was shook. The Dream members were shook.

They knew Hae Chan was powerful. But only as powerful as everyone else in that room, except for maybe Mark. But it wasn't everyday they got to see his powers and skills in such great action. For quite a while Mark had to constantly remind Hae Chan that their powers were only to be used in dire situations, and with the underground work they did he never really did have to use them. But in an action scene as such, the way Hae Chan was able to use his teleportation powers to appear and disappear through the sky, while using his archery to shoot at Doctor Death so gracefully, it was a very cool sight. And though they couldn't see it, they were pretty sure the reason he was able to do it with so much ease was because his enhanced vision allowed him to process all of his surroundings at an accelerated rate, alerting him when he was falling so he could quickly teleport to the ground.

Letting out a breath of relief, Hae Chan pushed his hands forward, teleporting a burst of air, creating a shock wave that hit Doctor Death and made him fall down.

“Did you guys know he could do that?” Chenle asked from his seat in shock.

“No, definitely not,” Jae Min responded, his mouth wide open.

“If I had known he could really use his powers I wouldn’t have taunted him inside his mind so much,” Jeno mumbled.

But before they could all be in awe for much longer, Hae Chan lost control and got hit when he teleported back midair. He began falling for the second time, flashing over and over as if he couldn't control his powers, until he was finally able to regain control and teleport safely to the ground once more.

“I’m going in,” Mark spoke as stood straight, not able to watch anymore as the troublesome boy was barely dodging the villain’s attacks.

“Wait,” Ji Sung called out before Mark could head out the door. He began to go through a series of boxes, looking for something before he pulled it out and tossed it in his direction.

Mark caught the garment the younger boy had tossed him, unfolding it, eyes scanning the piece of clothing. It was a hoodie- no- it wasn’t just a hoodie. It was a hoodie with, what he assumed, was the Dream logo. It had a spray-painted graphic look to it, and it was the words Dream Team on the backside of the sleeves in very colorful, rainbow colors. And when he turned it around to the front, it was his very own logo. A large, yellow M in the center of what looked like a red spray-painted spider.

“This-” Mark began, but he couldn’t find the words.

“I sent a bunch to be made,” Ji Sung said. “We all helped in designing them.”

Mark smiled, putting the hoodie on before he faced them all once again.

“If you’re going, you will need this,” Jeno said as he got up from his seat, went to the back, and brought back something to Mark. “Ji Sung got this made from a guy in Russia. We all knew how you were struggling with your heightened senses and focusing them so we were going to surprise you with it.”

Mark looked down at the object that Jeno was handing him. It was a weird sort of pair of glasses? Goggles? A mask? He put it on, instantly understanding what Jeno meant by helping him out with his senses. Everything was so in focus. His powers were adjusting to the weird mask thing in a way they had never done before. “Guys, I-”

But before Mark could finish his sentence, they heard a loud crash coming from the screen and they all turned to see Hae Chan falling to the ground with a loud thud.

“I need to go,” Mark said.

“Take this,” Ji Sung said as he tossed him another hoodie. “It’s Hae Chan’s.”

Mark nodded, clutching the hoodie close as he ran out of the building. When he was out he began to scan his surroundings, using his senses to scan where the danger might be. Instantly he felt that tingly sensation and turned around, knowing where to head off to. But it was too far. He would never make it in time to help Hae Chan. Unless…

Mark let out a sigh, knowing what he had to do. He went up to the rooftop of the building, and he ran and jumped. And he began falling, and falling, and fell until- He did it! He had reached out his hand and successfully shot out the web from his hands. And he was swinging.

“Oh my gah,” Mark mumbled as he brought up his other hand to shoot out a web from it and swing to the next building. “I’m doing it! I’m doing i-!”

And then he lost control and accidentally let go. Luckily, though, he was able to shoot up another web before he hit the ground and was swinging once again. It was such a breathtaking experience, being able to swing from building to building, feeling the cool air against his face, it was like flying. Floating in air. It was spectacular.

 


 

Hae Chan was getting his kicked. He didn’t know what had come over him to bring him this far, but whatever it was, it was long gone. He no longer had that secure control over his powers and was just sloppily teleporting from the road, to the air, to the top of a building, and back in air, trying his best to dodge Doctor Death’s attacks while praying that Captain J would stop being unconscious and help him out. But he didn’t.

And once again, Doctor Death was able to make another strike, sending Hae Chan off into the air, falling fast and hard. He brought his hands up, trying to teleport his way down to the ground, but he had lost complete control.

“Oh no,” Hae Chan breathed as he found himself falling at an even faster pace. He his breath in, waiting for the impact. But it never came. Instead, he felt something wrap around him and pull him up.

“Mark!” Hae Chan exclaimed when he saw the older boy sticking to the side of a building while pulling him up with his web. “You came to help!”

“I came because you were getting your kicked and it was sad to watch,” Mark said, and Hae Chan could almost see his eye roll behind the mask he was wearing.

“And the hoodies came in?!” Hae Chan asked when Mark set him down on the ground and stood besides him. Mark nodded and handed him his. The boy immediately took off the gray hoodie he was wearing and put on the one the older had handed him.

From the back, Hae Chan’s hoodie contained the same Dream logo with the paint splatter and spray paint look. But unlike Mark’s, the front contained a different logo. It was spray-painted looking image of a sunset with a silhouette in front of someone (Hae Chan, most likely), holding a bow and arrow, aiming at an unseen target. And in big, bold letters: Full Sun.

The younger boy then turned to Mark, a smile on his face that the other was immediately able to read.

“Let’s get it!” Mark yelled, and without wasting another second, they began to launch forward at Doctor Death with full force.

Hae Chan stood at Mark’s left, setting an arrow into place. Meanwhile Mark swung up once again with his webs, beginning to lift up things to throw at Doctor Death.

“How cute, you have a friend,” Doctor Death spoke as he began to fly around, dodging the attacks before making some of his own. “Maybe this will be even funner.”

“We won’t let you have your way!” Hae Chan yelled, launching another arrow in Doctor Death’s direction that he was able to successfully dodge, before getting hit by a rock that Mark had thrown at him.

Doctor Death looked stunned for a moment, glancing back and forth between the two boys that high fived as Mark swung by the other. A smile then appeared on his face, making the two boys stop their little celebration. “You two kids are cute. It’s fun, but it’s obvious you’re amateurs.”

“We aren’t amateurs,” Hae Chan defended, his nose scrunching up.

“Yes, you are,” Mark said as he glanced over at Hae Chan. “You barely have control over your powers.”

Hae Chan's arms fell down, letting loose of the arrow he was holding as he turned to look over at Mark, no longer paying attention to Doctor Death who only smiled wider. “What do you mean?!”

“Exactly what I said,” Mark replied, still trying to focus on the task, though he knew Hae Chan was about to make it difficult. “You jumped into this mess recklessly when I told you not to. You know your control over your powers isn’t stable.”

Hae Chan snorted, crossing his arms and tossing his head back. “As if you are any better! You took a taxi the other day because you were too scared to use your webs!”

Somewhere back in their little hideout, Jae Min, Jeno, Chenle, and Ji Sung all simultaneously let out a sigh as they kept their eyes trained on the screen, anticipating what was coming. “And they were doing so well,” Jae Min said as he shook his head.

Before Doctor Death, the Dream Team, or the public could process what was going on, Hae Chan was aiming an arrow at Mark instead, while the older boy began swinging around, barely dodging the attacks before making some of his own.

“Really?! You want to do this now?!” Mark yelled at the younger boy in exasperation before dodging another exploding arrow.

“Just admit you never wanted me on the team!” Hae Chan yelled angrily as he shot another arrow. “You think you’re so great just because you’ve had your powers longer!” He made another attack. “But you don’t even use them because you’re scared!” And another attack.

It was Mark’s turn to begin his series of attacks. Both verbal and physical. “Yes! I never wanted you on the team!” He made an attack. “Because you are reckless!” Another attack. “And you can’t control your equally reckless abilities!” Another attack. “And you have a big ego!”

Hae Chan lifted his bow once again, getting his arrow ready before he teleported to the top of a building. Mark, on the other hand, got his hands in position, ready to swing away and dodge the arrows. But before any of that could happen, Doctor Death laughed. It was a scary for moment for everyone watching. It was also puzzling, especially to both Mark and Hae Chan who began to back down and turn to the villain. They then exchanged a glance, both looking just as confused as the other.

“I don’t even have to try!” Doctor Death laughed, clutching his stomach with one hand while pretending to wipe a tear with another. “You two are each other’s destruction!”

Mark let a huff, realizing what had just happened. He internally groaned, unable to believe the manipulation of Doctor Death. If it even was his manipulation. Hae Chan and him had so much tension between them, it wouldn’t surprise him if it was all their own doing. Actually, it was all their doing. Doctor Death didn’t even have to do anything for Mark and Hae Chan to screw things up all on their own.

“Oh you son of a b-!” Hae Chan began to yell, pulling out another arrow and bringing his bow up, teleporting into midair once again, before something happened. As fast as he teleported through the air, Hae Chan lost control of his powers once more and began to fall fast and hard once again.

“Hae Chan!” Mark yelled as he extended his hand, shooting out a web to catch him. But just as he did that, he lost control of his webs and began falling down too. The two boys were falling fast and hard, control of their powers nowhere in sight, long gone. They yelled, turning and twisting in the air as they got ready for impact. The audience were also at the edge of their seats, silently praying to themselves that something would happen before they hit the ground. Back in their little hideout, the rest of the Dream Team were standing up, containing too much anxiety to remain seated, fiddling with their hands as if that would make something happen.

And something did. One moment, Hae Chan and Mark were both falling to their doom, and the next something- someone- two someones- swooped in and save them.

 

--

 

This chapter really tired me. I've been through it who knows how many times already and I just hopes it's good and everything makes sense. We really just changed Haechan's powers for like the fifth very last minute before we uploaded the last chapter.

But anyways, this upcoming chapter is one of my favorites because it's the start of one of my favorite arcs and the introduction of my favorite ship plus my top two favorite nct members. So yeah, thanks for reading. -J

 

You know what, I'm about to say it.

                                                             Say it!

I don't care that you broke your elbow

 

Thank you for reading! ~Nae