The Vision

Vision: A Neo Era

“Stupid kids!” Mark heard someone yell as he was lowered down to the ground. He opened his eyes, seeing some random guy in what seemed like a machine suit? Like something straight outta Iron Man but all navy blue with a touch of silver. Mark couldn’t say anything. He didn’t know if it was the shock of almost dying or the awe of an actual superhero who could control his powers. Although he wasn’t sure if he could completely consider a machine as such superpowers.

Then he saw another one. Not far from where he and his savior stood, Hae Chan was lowered down by another guy who wore a mask, similar to Hae Chan’s, had messy silver hair that went down to his barely visible, big eyes, and a red hoodie. It was kind of odd seeing how this guy was in an iron suit, and then the other was in a play, red hoodie, and worn out jeans.

“Who are you guys?” Hae Chan asked, glancing at Mark for a moment before looking back at their two saviors.

“That’s not important right now,” The guy who had saved Hae Chan said as he turned to look at Doctor Death.

When Mark and Hae Chan remembered the villain, they felt the panic rise once again and quickly turned to make sure he wasn’t doing anything troublesome. But, very much to their surprise, he was amused. He had his arms crossed, still flying up high as he looked down at everyone. “Though I must say this is quite an amusing sight, I’m rather bored now,” Doctor Death said. He then glanced at Captain J who still lied lifelessly on the ground not far from where they stood. “You should get him checked up. I only gave enough force to knock him out for a while but seeing as how he hasn’t woken up yet, he needs attention. If not I might even worry for the poor guy.”

Before anyone could say anything else, a portal opened and Doctor Death walked through it, disappearing right before everyone's eyes.

“Shi-!”

“Language!” Mark cut Hae Chan off, glancing at the boy who was kicking a pebble. He then turned to the two guys who had saved them, watching as the one in the iron suit picked up Captain J, ready to take him off to who knows where. “So who are you two?”

The guy in the red hoodie looked at Mark, and then at Hae Chan. He then looked at the people who still stared at them. “Not here,” He spoke. “Follow us.”

 


 

When the guy in the red hoodie had said ‘follow us’, Hae Chan and Mark hadn’t thought he meant to follow them to the back of an alley where they had their minivan parked, hidden from the public eye.

“Okay, no one can see us here,” The guy with the silver hair said as he began to take off his mask, revealing the most handsome face Mark had ever seen. “I put up an invisibility cloak, so you two are free to take off your masks also, unless you don’t trust us.”

Mark and Hae Chan exchanged a glance, shrugging before they both took off their masks and lowered their hoods. The guy in the iron suit, who was coming back to the handsome guy’s side after putting Captain J inside the car, whistled as he scanned the two boy’s faces. “You two really are just kids.”

“I’m eighteen, thank you very much,” Hae Chan scowled.

The guy in the iron suit’s mask suddenly lifted, revealing his face. He was a much older looking guy, maybe around the same age as the other one but with longer hair and stronger features that made him seem more mature. “Well, we’re both twenty-three, so-”

Hae Chan snorted, crossing his arms as he mumbled, “Oldies.”

“We’re not old,” The guy in the iron suit said, crossing his arms as a pretty offended and defensive look crossed his face.

“I bet you’re not as agile as we are,” Hae Chan retorted.

“Yes we are!” The guy in the suit defended, looking like he was about to lose it more and more, the longer he fought with Hae Chan.

Mark rolled his eyes, holding onto Hae Chan’s arm and pulling him back. “Behave, they saved us.”

“I didn’t need saving,” Hae Chan said too egoistic as he crossed his arms and scoffed.

“Excuse him,” Mark said as he gave the younger a glance. “He’s too egocentric.”

Hae Chan uncrossed his arms, clenching his fists as he got ready to fight once again. “You-”

“You two are too immature to handle your powers. That’s why you lost control out there,” The guy in the red hoodie said, his arms crossed and his eyes closed. “If you two are teammates then you should learn to act like it or else you’re going to fail every time you go out on the battlefield.”

“So who are you two to know these things?” Mark asked as he looked back and forth between the two older guys. “You two also have superpowers; How long? How do you control them? How do you know each other?”

The two guys exchanged a look. One of them sighed, looking back at the two younger boys. “I’m Johnny Seo.”

“As in, the owner of Seo Enterprises?” Hae Chan asked, jaw-slacked and finally interested in what these guys had to say.

“Whoa no way man!” Mark said, hands going up to his face in awe. “You’re like, super rich!”

Johnny nodded, a confident smile on his face from the praise. “Yeah that’s me.”

“You’re like the Tony Stark of real life,” Hae Chan said, still trying to process everything. “You have super cool inventions and stuff.”

The guy in the red hoodie cleared his throat, catching everyone’s attention once more. “Thanks for stealing the spotlight, man. I’m Tae Yong. Nothing special about me.”

Johnny snorted. “What a lie.”

Tae Yong sent Johnny a look, one that had Hae Chan and Mark waiting for an explanation they wouldn’t get. Tae Yong then turned to the boys once again, scanning them up and down before raising an eyebrow. “So you two work together in a team with matching hoodies?”

“Yes,” Mark answered at the same time Hae Chan answered the opposite. The two looked at each other before looking back at the other two.

“We’re part of a team, but we don’t work together and yes, our hoodies match, but only because we’re part of the same team.” Hae Chan answered with a bored look. “I don’t like being associated with him.”

“Oh get over yourself, Hae Chan,” Mark said with a roll of his eyes. “Yes, we work together in the same team with others who have powers like us.”

“So there are more,” Tae Yong mumbled as he looked over at Johnny. “Interesting.”

“Do you two know any more?” Mark asked.

“No. Not as of right now,” Tae Yong answered, and to Hae Chan it was incredibly obvious that that was lie. But before Hae Chan could say anything else, his phone began to ring and he pulled it out of his pocket to see it was Jae Min. He showed Mark who nodded in response before answering.

“Hello-”

“Where are you two?! Chenle started crying after you two disappeared with those other guys. Said something about you two getting kidnapped by aliens and getting your brains out of your heads,” Jae Min began to rant as as soon as Hae Chan answered.

“Okay, first, tell Chenle he’s crazy. Second-” Hae Chan stopped himself, looking up at Tae Yong and Johnny with untrusting eyes. “Don’t worry about us. We’ll be there soon.”

“Are you leaving already?” Johnny asked.

“Yes, our friends will worry,” Hae Chan said as he began to turn to Mark, signaling that it was time for the to leave.

“Can we meet you two again?” Mark asked the other two. Hae Chan groaned in annoyance.

“Of course,” Tae Yong interjected before Johnny could speak. “We’ll come to you.”

 


 

There he was. The love of Yuta’s life. Well, not really, but he liked to refer to him that way. Si Cheng’s reactions were always the cutest when he would flirt with him every chance he got. And the younger never showed much discomfort to his affections or told him to stop, so Yuta assumed it was okay for him to continue.

“Looking good today, love,” Yuta said with his cheek resting on his palm as he watched the younger boy walk over to his seat at the other end of the classroom with a smile on his face.

Si Cheng didn’t say anything. Instead he opened his backpack and began to pull out his utensils, getting ready for class.

“He’s never going to accept your love,” A voice spoke. Yuta heard the chair next to him being pulled out and turned to face his best friend, a frown on his face.

“Shut up, Han Sol, you’ll see. One day Si Cheng will stop acting like I don’t exist and prove you wrong,” Yuta said as he sent the younger boy a wink and clicked his tongue.

Before Han Sol could reply anything else, their professor walked in, beginning what would be another hour of torture. Though, it was true Yuta wanted to continue his education as a law grad student, he didn’t exactly want to do all the work that came with it and attend all the boring lectures. He just wanted to graduate- again- and become a successful family lawyer. Or business worker. It really mostly depended on how his internship at SM Enterprises went. But either way, Yuta was ready to get the heck out of school and begin some rich, successful life. Though, Si Cheng did make attending classes more appealing.

Okay, Yuta wasn’t actually in love with the boy. It was true, the first day Si Cheng walked into class, he thought he was the prettiest creature he had ever laid eyes on. But it wasn’t like he was ready to drop it all for him. Maybe. He did have some feelings for the boy. He wasn’t exactly sure to what extent, but he knew it wasn’t love. He just liked to exaggerate for the sake of his boredom.

Which was why, when class ended, just like any other day, Yuta went up to the younger boy to bother him as he packed up his things.

“So, when are you finally going on a date with me?” Yuta asked, slamming his hands down on Si Cheng’s desk, startling the boy who was trying to stuff his laptop into his backpack. He held that smile on his face, the one with all the teeth, the one he knew made everyone swoon. Except Dong Si Cheng. “You know, I plan on going to the movies tomorrow night, the one on Maine street, seven p.m. if you want to join.”

Han Sol, who stood not far, swinging his backpack over his shoulder, rolled his eyes as he began to walk over.

Si Cheng, on the other hand, seemed to have a moment of thought as he stared up at Yuta. The older boy had to hold his breath feeling flustered all of the sudden, and wanting to say it was joke now that the boy actually seemed to be considering it for the first time ever. If it weren’t for Han Sol who came in, putting an arm around him to make him snap out of it, Yuta was sure he would have melted on the spot.

“Leave the poor guy alo-” Han Sol began as he tried to pull Yuta away, but then it was like a miracle happened.

Si Cheng spoke- no- he agreed. Yuta blinked. Han Sol’s eyes widened. Had he really heard right? Did the boy really agree to a date? When Yuta was only being half-serious?

“What?” Yuta asked in disbelief, barely above a whisper.

“I said okay,” Si Cheng replied, making Yuta feel weak and like falling to his knees.

“O-okay,” Yuta was barely able to let out, still too shocked from Si Cheng finally accepting him. “I-i-” He couldn’t stop stuttering. But then, as if realizing he had lost his cool, he cleared his throat and leaned away from the boy’s desk, regaining posture. “Yeah, cool, uhm, I’ll text you tomorrow.”

Han Sol snorted and Si Cheng smiled. Gosh, he smiled! Yuta was definitely going crazy. But before he could say anything else, like another greasy pick-up line, he was being pulled away by his best friend who was telling him, “Snap out of it, loverboy, we have another class to get to.”

“See you tomorrow, love!” Yuta was able to shout out one last time before he was completely dragged out of the room by Han Sol.

As soon as the two were out, Yuta completely lost it, turning to Han Sol with the widest smile he had ever worn. “Did you see what just happened?! He said yes! We have a date!”

Han Sol snorted, shaking his head at the blond. “I must be crazy, because yes, I did see that. Also, I thought you said you didn’t even like him that much,” Han Sol said, raising a questioning eyebrow.

Yuta cleared his throat and nodded. “Yeah, totally. I just haven’t been on a date in so lo-”

“Stop it,” Han Sol said with another roll of his eyes. “You don’t have to act all cool. Just admit you’re whipped.”

“Okay, so what if I am a little?” Yuta asked, a soft smile on his lips as he bumped shoulders with his best friend. “He’s cute.”

Han Sol nodded with a hum. “Just be careful, Nakamoto. Don’t break the poor guy’s heart.”

Yuta snorted. “If anyone were to break a heart, it would be him breaking mine.”

 


 

“Ah, look who’s back from playing normal, young, human!”

Si Cheng rolled his eyes, taking off his backpack and setting it down in the entrance hall before walking into the living room. “Shut up, Ten. At least I’m doing something.”

“Yes, a college degree comes in really useful back where we are from,” Ten said sarcastically as he began to flip through the channels on the television, ultimately ending up turning it off, more interested in the tales of his dear friend than whatever he had been watching all day. “So, tell me, Winwin, how was your day?”

Si Cheng sighed, sitting down on the raggedy, old couch that laid in the middle of their dark, dimly lit living room. He thought back to the previous events of the day before he sighed once more and shook his head. “Where are the kids?” He asked as he looked up at the older who looked at him suspiciously.

Ten continued to look at him suspiciously, knowing he was hiding something, but answering his question nonetheless. “Kun took them grocery shopping. He thought I was going to blow up on them if they didn’t stop bothering me or something.”

Si Cheng snorted. “Of course you would.”

“Okay,” Ten said, rolling his eyes. “Drop it, Winwin, what did you see today?”

Si Cheng knew he couldn’t hide it from the boy. Not for long, at least. Especially with how big of the situation was turning out to be. “I have a date tomorrow,” He admitted, rubbing the back of his neck.

Ten frowned, his dark eyes narrowing before he cocked an eyebrow. “Really? That’s it? Seriously? Oh come on, who is it? Is it that Japanese guy? The really flirty one? Because you could honestly do so much better-”

“No,” Si Cheng interrupted, shaking his head in frustration. His dark hair fell over his eyes as he looked down at his hands, and once again, but softer, said, “No. That’s not it. I wasn’t going to say yes, but then. . .”

Si Cheng trailed off, and Ten sat up, leaning forward as he tried to understand the guy better. “Oh,” Ten said, realizing what happened. “You had another vision. What was it? Did you end up marrying the guy? Is he a serial killer?”

“No,” Si Cheng said, shaking his head slightly. “It wasn’t a long vision; It was only a glimpse. But it was so intense. . .” He trailed off once again. He looked back at Ten, and the older boy was so sure his eyes were glassy, but he couldn’t question it for the looked away once more. And Ten stopped trying to joke around. It was serious.

“Tonight he’s going to suffer,” Si Cheng spoke softly. “And tomorrow too. And the day after, and the day after, and the day after, and so on. I couldn’t see much, like I said. An explosion, tears, and nothing. But I felt it so vividly. His pain. Grief. Chaos.”

“Winwin. . .” Ten spoke, reaching a hand out to the other boy. “You know it’s not your fault when you have these visions.”

“But I feel so helpless,” Si Cheng retorted quick as he turned to face the other once more. “I could feel his feelings for me. They were genuine, and all I did was use him.”

“You didn’t use him,” Ten said, trying his best to comfort and reassure him.

“But didn’t I? The whole enrolling into the university thing was so I could get to study him as an intern of SM- as the son of one of the workers on the foreign affairs board. I used the boy who genuinely liked me and now I know he’s going to suffer, but I don’t even know where or how to help him and-” Si Cheng was ranting and Ten had to place a hand on his shoulder to get him to stop.

“Winwin, what you did was not that. You enrolled into the university because it is a branch of SM. You talked to Yuta because he was pushy with you, and you didn’t know about his internship or his father's status until after that. You also never led him on or played with his feelings. And no, you can’t control what happens. You only get to know about it, but it isn’t your fault. Please, don’t blame yourself and calm down.” It wasn’t often that Ten was able to give such serious and inspirational speeches, but when he did, Winwin had to admit he was pretty good at it.

“You’re right,” Si Cheng said as he looked down at his hands. “I can’t stop it. I can’t stop his fate. But I can help him.”

 


 

Jae Hyun’s eyes snapped open. He scanned. He processed. Where was he? His breathing grew heavy as flashbacks of what happened before he got knocked out flashed through his head and he fell down to his knees, head thumping against the glass tube he was contained in.

“He’s up!” He heard a voice call out, and his breath hitched. He looked up to see someone standing not far from the glass tube he was trapped in, typing something into some weird holographic-looking screen. Suddenly his tube opened and he fell out, landing on the carpet floor with a groan as he clutched his chest.

A young man in casual wear approached him and extended out a hand to him. Jae Hyun coughed, hand still on his chest, before looking up at the person that stood in front of him. The man appeared to be in his early twenties; he had a red hoodie on with ripped jeans, and house slippers. His facial features were sharp, he looked like he jumped straight out of a comic book. Jae Hyun locked eyes with the man; he could tell his intentions were pure, so he accepted his hand.

Jae Hyun struggled to regain focus and balance, but managed to stop the dizziness that had overtaken him. Jae Hyun let go of the other’s hand.

“Let’s talk at the table.” Was all the other said and walked to a coffee table laid in the middle of the large, open room.

The man that was at the desk in front of the tube Jae Hyun was in got up from his swivel chair and walked towards the table Jae Hyun and the other were at. The man that was walking towards them gave off a mature vibe that was overwhelming; it sort of came of as cold and unearthly.

The man took a seat on the dark blue couch and crossed his legs, calmly placing his clasped hands on his knee.

“Do you know me?” The white-collar man asked, his tone coming off as cold.

Jae Hyun hesitantly shook his head, having no clue who this strange man was, or who his companion with the dark, wavy hair and glasses was He had just woken up in a strange place, inside a tube after getting his kicked, after all.

The man in the white-collar slid a card on the table- not just any card- his business card. Jae Hyun picked up the card he slid and read it. He froze in place. He looked at the card, then to the man in front of him that seemed unfazed, then back to the card.

“No way,” Jae Hyun mouthed. He looked around the room for the first time, having no time to do so earlier. The room was painted purely white, tubes stood on one side of the room, strange contraptions on the other, and the living room. The room wasn’t heavily decorated but the items it did contain were fascinating.

Jae Hyun turned back to the man that sat in front of him. “Why?” Is all he could say.

“Why? I’ve been keeping an eye on you and I’ve decided to put my plan in motion.” Johnny responded.

“As in?” Jae Hyun asked, wanting the man to continue what he was saying.

“I’m starting a team with people that contain enhanced abilities- superpowers.” Johnny simply said.

“Superheroes?” Jae Hyun asked curiously.

“...Yes, our goal is to take down the villain, ‘New Heros’. The actual main villain’s name is yet to be found, but if we join together we will be assured victory.” Johnny said, using words Jae Hyun would understand (Heroes, Villains).

“Why? Aren’t they just a hero association?” Jae Hyun questioned, remembering the card that shady guy had once given him.

“That’s just a cover. They’re not heros, that’s what they want you to believe. They’re playing with dangers that can threaten the whole world which is why my friend here, Tae yong,” The said boy made a small wave to Jae Hyun which he returned, “And I are going to form a team of ‘Superheroes’ to stop ‘New Heros’ and whatever plans they may hold. Maybe joining will help you stop losing to ‘Doctor Death’, so what will it be?” Johnny asked as if he wasn’t going to take no for an answer.

Jae Hyun could feel-no- he knew they were hiding something from him, but decided to not risk his  life and not push the limit. He also decided to not bring up the card he had received before, unsure on whether he could trust them or not.

“But, why? Why haven’t you used your powers for good? Just look at this room! It’s filled with equipment that could give support to the defenseless!” Jae Hyun exclaimed; he hadn’t noticed he stood up from the couch.

Jae Hyun held a sheepish expression on his face and sat back down after clearing his throat.

Johnny still seemed unfazed. ”Is that a no?” He asked sternly, not breaking eye-contact with Jae Hyun.

“Well, no, not exactly. But, you didn’t answer my question,” Jae Hyun responded, he was feeling a bit more bold for some reason.

“Why are kids so hard to deal with,” Johnny muttered under his breath. Jae Hyun clearly heard what Johnny said, but decided to brush it off. “These devices are not toys and certainly aren’t cheap and I told you we needed a team to-” Johnny was cut off by Jae Hyun.

“Any effort to help the people would have been enough.” Jae Hyun valiantly said.

Johnny remained silent; “That stimulation of yours can take you places.That is why you fight so brightly on the battlefield, it’s the flame inside of you, not your abilities.” Johnny responded and for a moment it seemed like he was being sincere, but that was quickly engulfed by the coldness that surrounded him.

Jae Hyun felt the sincerity in the message and softened. “Mr. Seo, I want to join,” Jae Hyun accepted, and there it was, the flame Johnny had spoken of that only appeared when he was determined.

“Please, call me Johnny,” The man insisted. Jae Hyun smiled fondly and shook hands with Johnny.

“Now, let’s get you suited up!” The man beside Johnny, Taeyong, said in a positive manner.

 


 

“Are you sure we’re allowed to be here,” Yuta asked, following Han Sol to the fence that separated the building where they interned at and the old, broken down factory that stood by Han river.

“Of course we’re not,” Han Sol said, as he began to climb the fence. “But I want to see what’s over there, and why it’s all boarded up.”

Yuta looked at the wired fence, hesitant on whether to follow his best friend or not. “There’s nothing over there, Han Sol, that’s why it’s all boarded up. It’s just an old factory with safety hazards.”

Han Sol shook his head, sitting at the top of the fence, extending a hand out to Yuta. “I’m telling you, I saw some flashing lights coming from there one day when I stayed here working late and I want to know what it was. Are you coming with, or not?”

Yuta looked at Han Sol’s hand, thoughts running through his head. If he did go what was the worst that could happen? The building would collapse on them and they would die? Or they would get caught and fired from their internship? Yuta shook his head, taking a few steps back. Han Sol looked genuinely confused for a moment, before Yuta began to run and jumped on the face, climbing up easily without the need of the older boy.

“Right, I forgot how athletic you were,” Han Sol said with a smile.

The two boys climbed down the fence, turning around to face the old, rundown factory that was moments from collapsing. Han Sol let out a whistle, making his way over with a very hesitant Yuta following behind. “It looks so much bigger this close-up.”

Yuta let out a huff, stopping in his steps as he began to question the entire situation once again. “Are you sure this is okay?”

“Of course it is, don’t you trust me?” Han Sol asked, not even glancing back at the boy as he began to go up the steps that led to the building.

“No,” Yuta mumbled to himself, but followed along anyways. “Remember that time when we were sixteen and-”

The two boys froze, hearing something resembling gunshots.

“D-did you hear-”

“Yes,” Han Sol breathed. “It came from in there.”

Yuta felt his chest tighten, his palms begin to sweat, and his mouth go dry. He couldn’t move or speak. “I-I don’t think-”

Yuta gasped, falling down to the ground with Han Sol doing the same as there were sudden flashes coming from the top windows of the factory followed by more gunshots.

“What is going on inside?” Han Sol gasped, regaining consciousness faster than Yuta, and quickly standing back up, running to the building.

Before Yuta could process any further, his best friend was already climbing up the ledges and pipes, ending up on the second floor, standing on the ledge of one of the windows as he looked inside. He gasped at whatever it was that he saw, and Yuta wanted to join him in curiosity, but he was still too shocked to move. “H-Han Sol- What is it?” Yuta asked in worry, finally finding it in his body to get up. “Come down, quick, it’s not sa-”

“Yuta,” Han Sol breathed, turning to look at the boy with wide eyes. Yuta almost gasped seeing his friend’s face. He was fear-stricken. Completely terrified as if he had just seen the demons from ‘Bird Box’.

“What?” Yuta asked, feeling his hands shake in anxiety as he began walking over to the building. But he was never able to reach it. He was never able to see what had Han Sol so petrified. And Han Sol was never able to tell him.

What happened next happened so fast, Yuta would never be able to understand. One moment, Han Sol was standing by the window on the second floor, a horrified look on his face while he stood on the ground. The next there were loud bangs and booms and the window’s broke and there was flying glass everywhere and there were flashing lights and then an explosion and Han Sol was- He was-

And Yuta flew back.

Everything went black.

 

--

 

So that's it for this chapter. It was kind of long because of everything that happened but I think the next chapter is longer. I don't really remember but some of the most important characters of the story were introduced here and the next chapter (probably my favorite) revolves around key characters.

Anyways I'm very tired and I love Winwin and hate SM.

-J

[insert vine here] ~Nae