Bet On It

Vision: A Neo Era

“So, you have apathy powers?” Mark asked for the fourth time since Jae Min and Jeno had brought Ren Jun into their layer.

“Yes,” Ren Jun groaned, growing frustrated with the repeat of the same question.

“And you can conceal not only your emotions, but other’s emotions?” Mark asked, also for the fourth time.

“Don’t you have a brain, how many times do I have to tell you that yes, I have apathy powers that can conceal emotions,” Ren Jun responded in frustration. “What is not clicking?”

“I like this guy,” Hae Chan, who was leaning against the wall behind Mark with his arms crossed, said, earning himself a, “Hae Chan, not now,” from the older.

“It just sounds crazy.” Mark sighed. “And it all makes so much sense, with the way you and Jae Min set each other’s powers off.”

Ren Jun snorted, sending Jae Min a glance. “Yeah, well my powers are stronger. That day at the park I was using my powers and I assume he was also using his, so the activation of the two within the same radius must have reflected off of each other or something. But my powers are stronger so he was the one that fell vulnerable.”

“How strongly were you using them for me to fall so vulnerable to them?” Jae Min asked with a frown.

“I wasn’t,” Ren Jun retorted. “I barely used them at all. The only reason I fell vulnerable the other day is because, though I didn’t know it at the time, you were trying to feel my presence which caused me to go haywire slightly before I used my powers to block you.”

“I don’t really understand what anyone is saying right now, but I’m going to assume it all makes sense,” Chenle spoke up. Ji Sung face palmed, though in all honesty he was also not processing 100%.

“It actually does make sense,” Jeno jumped up. “It explains why we can’t access his mind.”

“It’s protection,” Ren Jun shrugged. “Though I never thought I would run into a telepath or an empath.”

“So what now?” Ji Sung asked.

“I think we should recruit him.” Hae Chan shrugged.

“I don’t.” Mark said with a glance at the other. “We need to discuss things as a team first.”

And after that, Ren Jun took the cue to leave while they all sat in a circle on the floor, discussing whether they wanted to bring Ren Jun into the group or not.

“I think not. I mean, Apathy and Empathy are opposites of each other, do we want to risk the safety and balance of this team? What if something bad happens?” Mark argued.

The others all changed a look, seeming to think about it. Hae Chan snorted. “What could happen with those powers? They’ll fall in love and get their hearts broken? They're just powers based on emotion.”

“Need I remind you of what happened to Jae Min at the park during their first encounter?” Mark deadpanned.

“Nevermind,” Hae Chan retracted.

“I also don’t think we should recruit him,” Ji Sung spoke up after seconds of silence. Everyone in the circle turned to look at him, questioning and baffled looks on their faces. “Don’t you all think it's suspicious how I couldn’t find any background info on him? I told you, it’s like he doesn’t exist.”

Jeno hummed thoughtfully before he nodded. “He has a point. When I tried to read his mind, it was like he didn’t exist.”

“That’s because his powers-” Jae Min was cut off.

“His powers still wouldn’t explain why there are no records on him,” Ji Sung cut off.

“We’ve talked about this before,” Jae Min began again. “If anyone else tried to do a search on us they wouldn’t be able to find anything because you have us protected.”

“Then who has him protected?” Jeno asked. It was funny how he gave himself chills with his own question. Everyone in the room remained silent.

“Anyways, I think we should have him under our eye, don’t you guys?” Hae Chan asked, changing the topic and looking around the make eye-contact with everyone. “I mean, I think we should recruit him no matter what, but since you guys are so wary, why don’t we just recruit him to keep an eye on him? Not include him in any of the actual underground work, but still have him around, and when we trust him enough actually do a proper welcoming?”

Mark seemed to process everything and slowly started nodding. “That-that is actually a good plan,” He said as if testing out the words.

“Why do you sound so surprised?” Hae Chan scoffed.

“Okay team,” Mark clasped his hands together, “Let’s recruit Ren Jun as the next member of Dream.”

 


 

“We only have two weeks left till the project is due, so I have prepared a meet-up schedule.”

Jae Hyun looked down at the sheet that had been shoved into his hold. He frowned when his eyes landed on the scheduled days. “We’re meeting up on Mondays and Fridays now?” His eyes turned a little more panicked as he looked back up at the guy. “I-I can’t meet on those days I have-”

“I’m no longer busy those days,” Do Young said with a shrug. “I put down all the days we won’t meet, but besides those days we’re pretty much meeting up every day.”

“N-no this won’t work,” Jae Hyun mumbled, once again scanning the sheet before looking back up at Do Young who raised an eyebrow, expecting an explanation. But how was Jae Hyun supposed to explain that the reason he who couldn’t meet up Monday’s and Friday’s was because those were the days his arch nemesis Doctor Death attacked the city and under his alias, Captain J, he had to defend the people against him? “I guess I can make time.”

“Good, now let's get to work,” Do Young said. And as if he hadn't just completely stressed Jae Hyun with only a few set of words, the older began to unpack his backpack.

“Okay, I was doing some work last night and I was thinking about fitting this into the presentation portion of the project.” Jae Hyun said as he shifted closer to Do Young to show him what was on his laptop.

Do Young leaned in, scanning whatever Jae Hyun had typed up the night before and backed away, nodding slowly. “This is pretty good,” He mumbled approvingly. Jae Hyun’s eyebrows raised. He didn’t think Do Young could be the type to give compliments.

As if other could read his mind, he chuckled. “Don’t be so surprised, I’m not as bad as everyone makes me out to be.”

Jae Hyun’s ears turned red and he sheepishly avoided eye contact. An embarrassing act, really. “I’m sorry I didn’t-”

Do Young rolled his eyes, but it wasn’t in an annoyed way. “Either way, this presentation isn’t going to make itself.” And with those words the two boys got to work.

They had been at the library for a few hours when Jae Hyun, hating to admit, knew his stomach was going to rumble at any moment soon, embarrassing himself in front of Do Young which would then cause him to run away and hide in a closet.  No, he’s overreacting and clearly Do Young wouldn’t judge him for being hu-

His stomach betrayed him- The loud and whale-like noise echoed in the large, open library for everyone to hear. Do Young looked away from his laptop to look at Jae Hyun and his bright red ears. Maybe Do Young would judge him a bit.

“Do you want to go eat?” Do Young asked as he started packing up. It was a rhetorical question, really.

“No, it’s fine let's continue working,” Jae Hyun said rather sheepishly.

“Don’t be stupid, we’ve done enough work today. I’ll treat you, now come on.” Do Young stuffed his items into his backpack and pushed in his chair as he waited for Jae Hyun to finish packing up.

“Thanks,” Jae Hyun mumbled as they made their way out of the library.

“No need, can’t have you pass out on me. Also, I think I’ve been a bit harsh on you,” Do Young responded as they exited the building and walked on the sidewalk.

“Where do you want to eat at?” Jae Hyun asked, slightly looking down to make eye contact with Do Young.

“How about that stand?” The older asked, pointing at a small stand across the street.

Jae Hyun nodded and the two walked over.

It was quite awkward, but not was awkward as Jae Hyun thought it would have been. Granted, he was still highly intimidated by Do Young and they had never seen each other outside of class purposes before this, but it was still better. Maybe even a little comfortable? He was still tense, though.

Do Young paid for their food and it wasn’t until they sat across each other at one of the tables next to the stand that Jae Hyun realized this was actually happening. He was actually hanging out with Do Young outside of the school setting. And he even paid for his food! That was a setting he never thought could happen.

“Are you enjoying your food?” Do Young asked. He seemed relaxed. His calming presence was actually quite enjoyable; it helped lessen the tense atmosphere

“Oh, y-yeah,” Jae Hyun said, flashing a grin at Do Young to show how much he was enjoying his food. Now, Jae Hyun’s smile was like a virus; it was so charming it spread and make everyone smile. Do Young wasn’t an exception to this. Do Young let out a chuckle, the smallest smile on his face, and for a small moment they weren’t so awkward anymore. Only for a moment, though, because Do Young suddenly grew serious, a hesitant aura around him.

“So,” The older hesitated, his fingers tracing the top of his cup. Jae Hyun unconsciously leaned in, anxiously anticipating what he had to say. “Am I really that intimidating?”

Jae Hyun’s eyes widened the slightest. His eyebrows quirked up, before falling down into a frown. Should he be honest? Should he lie? He didn’t give it much thought before he found the word falling out of his mouth, “Yes.”

Oh no. Had he really just said that? Seeing the look on Do Young’s face let him know he had. And he didn’t know how to fix it. It was all going okay until that moment and he had probably just ruined it an-

Do Young smiled. Now, this was no regular crooked or half-smile he tended to give. This was genuine. “Good, it keeps dumb people away. Though I guess maybe I should work on myself to not scare people like you away.”

And Jae Hyun smiled too.

After that, it all went pretty easy.

A few questions were thrown around here and there, and Jae Hyun learned a few things. One, don’t ever invite Do Young to play monopoly, two, don’t ever mention his older brother around him (whoever that was), and three, he is a er for corny jokes.

Do Young had stopped counting how many times Jae Hyun had cracked a joke after he reached ten.

“So, why was the little strawberry crying?” Jae Hyun asked, slightly leaning over the table.

“Hmm, why?” Do Young asked, seeming genuinely interested.

“His mom was in a jam.” Jae Hyun responded, another grin on his face.

“That one is actually kind of ed up, poor kid’s mom was used for jam.” Do Young responded with a light laugh. Odd. A few corny jokes and they got fairly close; you’d think he would hate corny jokes but look at him now laughing at the stupidest things Jae Hyun told him. It was also amazing how many of those corny jokes Jae Hyun knew off of the top of his head.

“I didn’t think of it that way, I just thought the mom was in trouble,” Jae Hyun said, still holding a wide grin.

“Seriously? But that was the whole point of the joke, right?” Do Young laughed.

“I just thought jam meant she was in trouble, not in an actual jam jar.” Jae Hyun was sheepish now.

Do Young leaned back in his seat, shaking his head with a smile on his face. “You’re something else.”

Jae Hyun only smiled, feeling like he didn’t need to say anything else. It was all so comfortable now… Until-

Do Young frowned, looking down at his buzzing phone. He glanced at Jae Hyun for a second before he reached out for it and answered the call. “What is it?”

Jae Hyun figured it must have been someone he was close to for him to have answered like that. He stayed silent, watching how Do Young frowned once again, seeming to be listening to whatever the other person was saying thoughtfully.

“What?” Do Young then asked rather sternly. “Jung- speak slowly, what do you mean-”

Do Young went silent, sparing Jae Hyun one last glance before he said something about heading off and hanging up. “I have to go,” He said, “I’ll see you tomorrow to work on our project again.”

Jae Hyun nodded, watching the other gather his things before rushing off. Why was he always rushing off?

 


 

“So you guys are really letting me into the team?” Ren Jun asked, looking like he didn’t trust them. Which was funny because in that situation it should have been the other way around. But they all nodded anyway. “Okay, I guess we should have proper introductions now, huh?”

Mark nodded, taking a step forward as the unofficial leader of the team. “I don’t think our first meeting very formal, so let me introduce myself first. I am Mark Lee, the-” He cut himself off, realizing he almost called himself the leader.

“He’s our leader,” Hae Chan filled in, stepping out and swinging an arm over his shoulder. “The first member of the team and the oldest, thus making him the leader.”

“Thanks, Hyuck,” Mark mumbled as the other went back to leaning against the wall.

“Can I please stop feeling whatever you are feeling?” Jae Min said, directed at Hae Chan.

“Get out of my head then,” Hae Chan scowled.

Ren Jun looked back and forth between everyone, a little confused and perhaps a little scared. “So, what are your powers?”

“Should we tell each other that so soon?” Hae Chan asked.

“You all know my powers.”

“Point.”

“He swings around and stuff,” Chenle spoke up, getting tired of just sitting around waiting for his turn. “Anyways, I’m Chenle and I can replicate, wanna’ see?”

Ren Jun cocked an eyebrow, showing the slightest bit of disturbance from the younger. He shook his head, mumbling a small, “No thanks.”

“I’m Jeno, the second oldest,” Jeno introduced himself. “I have telepathy, but you probably already knew all of this.”

“We’ve been working together for a week now,” Ren Jun deadpanned. “And we met even before that.”

“Okay, I’m Jae Min, my powers are empathy, and despite popular belief, I don’t actually lose control of my powers very often.” Jae Min introduced himself. “But we have met before too. Oh, and that one over there is Ji Sung, the genius mastermind behind everything in this room.”

Ren Jun turned to look at the youngest in the room who sat at his desk, looking at him unimpressed. He didn’t trust him. It was obvious. He only needed one look to know he was going to be hard.

“I’m Ji Sung. I think that is all you need to know about me for now,” The youngest spoke.

“Kids,” Hae Chan said with a click of his tongue and a shake of his head. He then leaned away from the wall, walking over to where Ren Jun was standing. “Nice to meet you, the best introduction for last, I am Hae Chan and one wrong move and I could stick an arrow through your chest quicker than Chenle can replicate into ten versions of himself and quicker than Mark can wrap you up in webs. But I like you right now, so tell me, are you an 00’ too?”

“An 00’?”

“He means your year of birth.”

“Oh, then yes.”

“We’re going to get along perfectly.”

 


 

“Okay, if you’re going to be a part of the 00’ gang, we need to know we can trust you,” Hae Chan said as the four 00ers walked down the street, heading for the ice cream shop the original three would often go to. “What a better place to start than our very own hangout?”

“Baskin Robbins? Really?” Ren Jun asked when they stopped in front of the of the shop, but followed behind the rest anyway when they walked in.

The four teenagers were immediately greeted by the cashier who said, “Welcome to Baskin Robbins.”

Ren Jun continued following behind the other four, only stopping for a split second when he felt a strong presence and turned to look at the cashier whose name tag read ‘Ten’. He stared back, and the two remained with the eye-contact as he continued to walk by until he reached the other three who were looking down at the ice cream choices.

“What will it be for you four today?” Ten, the cashier, asked with his eyes remaining focused on Ren Jun.

“We’ll take the usual,” Jae Min responded.

That was when Ten finally looked away from Ren Jun to look at the others. “I don’t know your regular, kid.”

“Oh, you must be new,” Hae Chan said. “Well, just so you know, this is Jae Min, that’s Jeno, I’m Hae Chan, and this is our new friend Ren Jun. We come here every week.”

“And why would I care.” Ten frowned. He seemed annoyed.

“Because we are loyal customers, duh,” Hae Chan responded. “Anyways,” He moved on and began to list all their regular orders before turning to Ren Jun, who still had his eyes narrowed on Ten, and asking, “And you?”

“Rocky Road.”

Ten shook his head, putting everything down before he began to serve them. It wasn’t long before they were all sitting at the far back corner, gossiping while enjoying their delicious treats.

“What do you think of the new worker, Ten?” Jeno asked before taking in a spoonful.

Hae Chan shook his head, clicking his tongue. “Corny name, weird haircut, and not a very nice attitude. At least he’s cute.”

“Cute?” Ren Jun asked with a questioning eyebrow.

“Not my type, though.” Hae Chan shrugged.

“His type is Mark, and Mark only,” Jae Min jumped in. Those words resulted in Hae Chan whipping his head around to glare at the other, mouth stuffed with ice cream that he tried to swallow down.

“That is not true!” He whined when he was able to swallow down his ice cream.

“Honestly, he’s been pining after him for years,” Jeno said as he turned to look at Ren Jun. “It’s just sad at this point.”

“Stop!” Hae Chan whined, almost throwing himself at Jeno to shut him up. The other only shrugged, enjoying playing with him.

“Might as well admit it, Hae Chan,” Jae Min said before taking a of his ice cream, “Jeno can hear you mushy thoughts, and I can certainly feel your disgusting mushy feelings anytime Mark even looks in your direction.”

Hae Chan sighed, stuffing his face into his hands. “I didn’t think I was being that obvious.”

“I don’t think you’re obvious. But your feelings are definitely so strong, Jeno and I are disgusted,” Jae Min shrugged. “Our powers can’t help it.”

Ren Jun shook his head and clicked his tongue. “If you want, I can help you conceal those emotions.”

Hae Chan looked up, almost frighted at the new guy’s suggestion. He and the other two exchanged a look before he let out an awkward laugh and shook his head. “Hah, no. . . I think I’m good right now. Thanks for the offer, though.”

“Anyway, how long have I been this obvious?” Hae Chan asked, giving up on denying his feelings for their team leader.

Jeno and Jae Min both hummed, staring off into the distance as they thought about it. “Since you joined?” Jeno thought out loud.

“But it wasn’t strong until after you and Mark went on that mission and he called you Hyuck,” Jae Min continued.

Hae Chan slammed a fist down, startling the other two. “I knew it!” He hissed to himself. “He calls me Hyuck and I just can’t control myself! I mean, who else calls me Hyuck? Ever since I changed my name to Hae Chan no one has called me that. But then stupid Mark Lee and his nerdy glasses just had to call me ‘Hyuck’ and I suddenly can’t control myself. I mean, do you know how long I have been holding these feelings in?” It was a rhetorical question. “Since Pre-K!”

Jae Min gasped, a hand going up to his mouth. Jeno’s eyes widened. And Ren Jun, well, he seemed to be judging.

“Of course, it was just a silly crush and I was little so it wasn’t a big deal but then we got older and he came back from Canada and he was just such a loser and nerd and I wanted to push him into a trashbin but also kiss him, but I was also twelve so, you know, I got over it. But then moving on to high school and that stupid night happened and then I was whipped before I knew it and I tried to hide it but every time he walked down the field where we practiced archery I would miss the target which is odd for me, you know, because my archery skills are farther than 10/10, and there was that one time I shot the pigeon but anyway, he’s so stupid and I’m so frustrated and I just want to kiss him every time he calls me Hyuck!”

There was an awkward silence and Hae Chan’s mouth dropped, realizing he had finally voiced out everything he had been holding in since he was four. A hand went up to his mouth, before he stuffed his face into his hands and groaned. Jeno and Jae Min were still jaw-dropped.

“Seriously, I can really help you conceal your emotions.”

 


 

“So,” Hae Chan said, avoiding any sort of eye-contact. “It’s just us two right now.”

“Hmm,” Mark nodded, remaining focused on whatever game he was playing on his phone.

Hae Chan sighed, looking down at his empty hands. It had already been a day since he confessed to the others about his feelings for the leader, and he was already feeling frustrated. That was the reason he had been so persistent on denying how he felt for him, because he knew as soon as he admitted it, he would get awkward. It wasn’t like he had directly admitted to him that liked him, gosh no, that would be death. But he just felt uncomfortable in the mushy puddle that were his feelings. No wonder Jeno and Jae Min were always so disgusted when they tapped into his mind.

“I’m bored,” Hae Chan whined. Though, it was a weak whine.

“Hmm,” Mark hummed once again.

Hae Chan whined once again, leaning back on the couch in defeat. There was no way he could get the other’s attention. Grabbing his phone and throwing it across the room? He would get pissed. Telling him there was an attack in the city and they needed to head off to help the people? That was too extreme. There was no way-

Hae Chan frowned, eyes landing on the round glasses that Mark was wearing. Without thinking much, his hand reached out and took them off his face. “You still wear glasses even though your powers enhanced your vision? Why?” He asked as he began to inspect them before putting them on.

Mark finally turned, mouth open ready to say something before he closed it momentarily

“Ohhh, your eyesight is horrible,” Hae Chan said, immediately removing the object from his face. “They hurt my perfectly 30/20 vision.”

“Uh,” Mark spoke, “People would, uhm, get suspicious if I didn’t wear them anymore since, uh, I’ve always had bad eyesight.”

Hae Chan suddenly got up from the couch and ran off with Mark’s glasses.

“Hey, where are you going with my glasses?!” Mark threw his phone on the couch and chased the other.

“I’m helping!” Hae Chan yelled back and ran towards Ji Sung’s desk. He swiftly picked up a pair of scissors, holding the glasses in his right hand. Mark almost caught up to him since Hae Chan took a bit in getting the scissors.

“I swear to god Hae Chan if you break my glasses-!” Mark was cut off by Hae Chan.

“What?! You’’ll web me to the wa-”

Mark had gotten a hold of Hae Chan’s wrist. The younger stopped his ranting and the two stood still in silence. The shorted boy looked Mark straight in the eye. He then looked down, placed the scissors back on the desk, and put on the glasses. He raised his head and smiled at Mark like his usual cheeky self. He was taunting him.

Mark opened and closed his mouth, wanting to say something but was not able to find the words, making Hae Chan smile once more. “Here,” Hae Chan said and handed Mark his glasses back. “They really hurt my eyes.”

Mark nodded, taking the glasses back and heading over to put them up in their case. “Yeah, well you have super vision so it makes sense.”

Hae Chan snorted, his smile still remaining on his face. “I used to think you were such a nerd back in high school because of your glasses.”

Mark looked back at Hae Chan, a raised eyebrow on his face. “Really? I used to think you were a stuck-up, popular jock.”

“Why?” The younger asked. “Because I was insanely buff and good looking?”

“No, because you were in most of the sports teams. You did archery, were in the soccer team, basketball team, swim-”

“Okay, I get it, I did sports,” Hae Chan interrupted, rolling his eyes, “But it’s mostly because of my powers. Thanks to my enhanced vision and incredible aim.”

Mark nodded slowly, seeming like he wanted to ask another question. “When did you get your powers?”

Hae Chan’s eyebrows raised, taken back by the question, but he answered nonetheless, “Around the beginning of my freshman year. You?”

“Same, but obviously your freshman year came after mine.”

“Are you saying you’ve had your powers longer, therefore they’re more developed?”

“That is definitely not what I’m saying. But since we’re on the topic, I do think I’m better at sparring than you.”

Hae Chan gasped, pretending to be offended by his words. “Well, Mark Lee, do you want to test that?”

And that was how they ended up at the park five minutes later, facing each other, standing only a couple of feet apart, and ready to begin their sparring session.

They stood about five feet from each other in the middle of the park. Mark raised an eyebrow and Hae Chan nodded, silently telling him he was ready.

And then they got to it.

Without having to say anything, Hae Chan sprinted towards Mark, starting the match. Mark swiftly moved to the left, dodging Hae Chan’s attempt at a side jab, before he reached out to grab Hae Chan’s wrist but was too slow. Hae Chan spun on one leg and kicked Mark’s right leg.

The older brushed off the pain and circled around the younger before making another move of his own. He clenched his fist and took a step forward, but the younger was able to catch a glimpse and dodge at the last second.

Hae Chan then dropped to the floor, leaving all of his weight on one hand and foot, and performed a sweep kick. But Mark was able to sense it and flipped backwards.

It was Mark’s enhanced senses against Hae Chan’s enhanced vision and years of training for many sports including mixed martial arts. It was rather hard telling which one of the two would. Especially because Mark could sense every move that Hae Chan was going to make and was quite agile, but Hae Chan was quite fast and his sharp vision helped him make adequate dodges and aims.

“Impressive, but how long will you last?” Hae Chan teased and, of course, Mark wasn’t going to let that slide.

“Same could be said for you, do you still want to spar?” Mark really wanted to play.

Hae Chan responded by sticking out his tongue at Mark. With only their heavy breathing filling the empty atmosphere, a staring contest started between them. The older broke it first by once again balling up a fist and going straight at it. Hae Chan wasn’t a fool and, rather boldly, caught it in his own hand.

It looked like the fight wasn't going to end any time soon and by that time the orange hues of the setting sun added to the dramatic moment as it made Hae Chan’s skin glow more than usual, highlighting his features along with Mark’s.

But holding the other's fist in his, Hae Chan saw this as a barrier breaker, and pulled his hand, catching Mark off guard and making him stumble. Hae Chan complimented himself in his head and continued by kicking his left knee. The older fell to the ground with a thud and with just a bit of time, Hae Chan pinned him to the ground as he held both of his wrists above him. With a satisfied grin on his face, he exhaled; His warm breath barely brushing against Mark’s face. “I win.”

Both boys were panting heavily and after what seemed like forever, Hae Chan rolled off Mark and laid beside him. He then turned to face the older a few seconds later and opened his mouth to say something, hesitating, before he closed it. He turned away from him once again.

“Mark,” Hae Chan spoke up. He was uncharacteristically soft.

“Yes?” The other hummed lazily.

“Mark, I-” He stopped when he heard a familiar voice.

Do you wanna play one on one with me?” The deep voice asked. Both Haechan and Mark sat up at the sound of the voice. And there, not far from them in the middle of the park, stood a six foot tall guy in shorts and a tank top, holding a basketball as he talked to some teenagers who rejected his offer.

“Sh*t! It’s that Johnny guy, Mark let’s go!” Hae Chan whisper yelled and grabbed the other’s wrist, but they were far too late.

“Hey! Do you kids want to pl- Hey, it’s you guys!” Johnny yelled from the other side of the court.

“Come on Mark! We can still make a run for it!” Hae Chan yelled into his ear, but he didn’t budge.

Johnny jogged towards them and it was just weird for them to see him out of business wear or supersuit and in something a lot more casual.

The six foot guy held a basketball under one arm as he crouched down to meet their eye-level; A rather uncharacteristically grin was plastered on his face. “I thought I would never see you two again. And trust me, I have tried looking for you two for ever. Its as if you two don’t exist.”

“Well, then, our hacker is doing his job right,” Hae Chan said, half-joking, half-serious.

“I knew you two had a hacker on your side! I told Tae Yong but he said it was ridiculous a couple of kids would know someone with such skills and-” Johnny paused as if he had just noticed something. “Wait,” He started, looking back and forth between Hae Chan and Mark, “Did I interrupt something? Are you two on a date? I thought you two didn't get along.”

The boys froze, eyes going wide at the elder’s assumptions. They quickly began to shake their heads, spurring out a bunch of words that the other couldn’t quite make out.

“Of course not we were just-”

“And then we were sparring so-”

“I could never date him-” Hae Chan stopped himself, realizing what he had just said in the midst of trying to defend himself.

“Gee, thanks,” Mark deadpanned.

“So, why are you here?” Hae Chan asked the guy who could only stare at them suspiciously, trying to change the subject. “In the park? At this time? Asking random kids if they want to play with you?”

“Yeah, aren’t you, like, rich?” Mark asked. “Why are you here?”

Johnny sighed, shaking his head as he fully sat down by them. “Well, I have three different housemates and it appears that the one day I am free, none of them can come to play with me.”

“That is rather sad,” Hae Chan said, not sympathetic at all.

“We could play with you,” Mark jumped in, making the younger facepalm. “We just finished sparring and all of our friends are busy today, so we’re pretty free.”

“You kids are so nice,” Johnny said with another grin.

And then they spent another hour at the park, playing a game of two against one, having the two younger kids going up against the adult. It would seem like a pretty fair match given that Johnny was over six feet tall and could easily tower over the other two, but Hae Chan and Mark were a great duo. There was definitely no denying that, even when their different personalities peeked through, the two were so complementary to one another. One’s weakness was the other’s strength and vice versa.

Which is why, when the three were lying breathlessly after their basketball match, Johnny didn’t hesitate with his question.

“Would you two like to join my superhero team?"

==

Us when we first started the story: Let's make Markhyuck suuuuper slow burn!!!

Us now when we type a new chapter: More Markhyuck fanservice here! More Markhyuck fanservce there!

-J

BTR paved the way (J, sorry I named it Bet On It. I was listening to bet on it from High School Musical 2)

~Nae