The Vigilante Duo and A New Recruit

Vision: A Neo Era

“Hello, I am Ren Jun and I will be showing you around- Oh no, it’s you.”

Jeno’s mouth dropped as soon as the other looked up from his clipboard, giving him a clear view of his face and allowing him to recognize him as the boy who made Jae Min lose control because he was so pretty. “You work here?” He asked.

“Are you the intern I’m supposed to show around?” Pretty Boy- Ren Jun asked and sighed when Jeno nodded. “Great, looks like I’m going to be working with you from now on. Follow me.”

Jeno stood up, holding on tight to his own clipboard and I.D. as he followed the other around the first floor while he pointed around randomly and named things in a monotone voice. “So, your name is Ren Jun?”

The small boy stopped walking, turning around to look at him with an annoyed and worn out look. “Yes, are you going to tell your friend?” Jeno didn’t respond. Instead, he followed the other to the elevator and zoned out as he began to talk about the different floors in the building before clicking the 7 button.

“You know, Jae Min is going to get very excited when he hears you work here,” Jeno finally spoke up again when they walked down the halls of the seventh floor. “He really wanted to know your name. And your powers. I don’t think he’s stopped thinking about you for a week already. He hasn’t really said anything out loud but when I tap into his mind from time to time I can really hear-”

Ren Jun sighed, turning around to look at Jeno. He had an expression that let the other know he wasn’t really in the mood for talking about things that weren’t related to their work. When Jeno to the hint to shut up he turned around and went back to pointing at random rooms while explaining what they were for.

Until Jeno spoke up again.

“Wouldn’t you like to join our team, though? Being alone with superpowers must be lonely-” Jeno was cut off when Ren Jun stopped walking and turned to look at him once again. Boy, was he small but intimidating.

“I’m not lonely. I’ve dealt with my abilities alone this far, I can continue to do so.”

And Jeno decided not to pry anymore. At least not for that day. It was only his first day on the job, after all, and he didn’t want to get on anyone’s bad side. But he for sure told the others when he entered the shack-like room later on that day.

And as expected, he could hear millions of thoughts running through Jae Min’s head as soon as he heard the news.

“Pretty Boy works at your place of internship?” Hae Chan asked with a frown. He was currently sitting on one of the chairs at the far back of the room, his arms and legs crossed. “And his name is Ren Jun? What does he even do? Did you find out his powers?”

Jeno shook his head. “He wouldn’t let me ask questions. Well, he wouldn’t answer any of them, at least. All I was able to get was his name.”

“Ren Jun, huh?” Ji Sung said as he spun around in his chair, facing his computer. “What was his last name?”

“Huang? I think that’s what his name tag said,” Jeno shrugged as he sat down besides Jae Min who had remained silent the entire time. While Ji Sung began typing a series of things into his computer, hacking into who knows what this time, Jeno began to tap into Jae Min’s mind.

If pretty boy- Ren Jun- works where Jeno interns then maybe this allows us a bigger insight into him. I mean, I could swing by there during their break time and try to talk to him. I have to figure out his powers no matter what, even if I have to continuously pester him. Though Jeno says he’s intimidating. But he’s kind of small. It’s cute. I don’t think he’s intimidating- he’s pretty cute and- Jeno get out of my mind!

Jae Min turned to look at Jeno, a pout on his face. “Did you really have to hear all of that?”

“It was amusing,” Jeno shrugged.

“Guys,” Ji Sung said, leaning in forward to the monitor, getting into his deep researcher mode. “I can’t find anything about him. It’s like he doesn’t exist. All I am able to see here is him being a worker at your internship workplace and him being the same age as you three and- That’s it. It’s like besides who he is at work, he doesn’t exist. There is nothing I can find about where he went to school, who his family is- nothing.”

Mark who had been sitting at the side silently stood up with a frown. “That’s not possible,” he mumbled, looking over Ji Sung’s research. “Maybe you didn’t do enough research?”

“Having to do further research would mean I’d have to hack into whatever is protecting his background information. And that means, something-someone is protecting him,” Ji Sung explained as he turned to look at his different monitors.

“Does that mean he doesn’t exist?” Chenle asked from besides Ji Sung.

“I really don’t think that’s what Ji Sung means,” Hae Chan spoke with a shake of his head.

“Maybe it’s because of his powers,” Jae Min spoke up. He looked around the room, glancing at everyone. “When we all joined this team we handed everything over to Ji Sung so he could protect us. Our phones, our computers, our whole identities. Just so that in case anyone ever tries to find us they won’t be able to. What if it’s the same for him?”

“Well,” Ji Sung said, going to back to his keyboard. “If it is then he is either very smart, or he has someone else with him.”

 


 

Mark’s eyes snapped opened. He tossed and turned after and tried to go back to sleep. But he couldn’t. He wasn’t even sure what he had dreamed of that had made him wake up, but he was sure it had something to do with the instincts he was getting. So, knowing he wouldn’t be able to go back to sleep, he stood up and changed into a pair of jeans and his hoodie before heading out.

This time, Mark was able to confidently use his webs to swing through the buildings until he reached Ji Sung’s dad’s shop. Knowing the front entrance would be locked with the security on, he walked over to the back and took his set of keys and unlocked the door, trying to be as quiet as possible when he walked in.

Ji Sung would get mad if he knew I was messing with his equipment, Mark thought to himself as he walked over to the front of the room where all of Ji Sung’s technology equipment laid. But knowing that, he began to look through anyway, searching for one item in particular.

And then his senses tingled. He shivered.

“Hae Chan,” He whispered (without even having to look because somehow his super senses had adapted to the other) as he turned around to look at the boy who stood right under the light, leaning against the wall.

“Looking for this?” The boy asked, holding up the radio that Mark had been looking for.

Mark sighed, eyes closing as he ran a hand through his hair. “How-?”

“I thought you stopped doing this a long time ago,” Hae Chan didn’t allow the other to question. Instead he began to inspect the object. “I thought you stopped years ago.”

“How do you even know?” Mark asked, knowing exactly what he was talking about. “I stopped long before you joined the team, and if I remember correctly we weren’t exactly best buds in high school.”

“How I know doesn’t matter,” Hae Chan said, ignoring the other’s questioning once again. “What matters is that I want to join you.”

Mark’s eyebrows raised in surprise. Did he hear the younger boy right? He wanted to join him? He wasn’t going to mess around with him about it? Or snitch on him? He actually wanted to work together with him?

“Don’t look so surprised,” Hae Chan said, walking over to Mark and tossing him the small radio. “I can work with you if I want to.”

Mark cocked an eyebrow. “Fine, Jeno talked to me earlier and said our fights are getting in the way of our teamwork and that if I don’t work with you he’ll release my dirtiest secrets. Don’t mess with mind readers is all I got from that.” Hae Chan shrugged after his explanation. “So are we going or not?”

Mark sighed, knowing there was no way he could get out of this one. And he also knew they needed to work on their dynamic and what better way than to do that than some practice stakeout? So he the radio and began to flip through the channels until he finally tapped into the one he wanted: The police radio-line.

“So this is how you do it?” Hae Chan asked as he took a seat besides Mark on the couch. “You just listen to the radio and wait for incoming crime reports?”

“Basically,” Mark responded. He waited for Hae Chan to come up with some snarky comment on how sad his life was or how boring it was. But he surprised him by remaining quiet and leaning in closer instead to get a better hearing of what was said in the radio. And the two remained quiet like that for a moment, sitting close, but not too close, and listening to nothing but their soft breathing and the static from the radio.

It felt like an eternity to Mark when it was really only two minutes. He knew because he watched the old clock that hung on the wall closely. Each tick ringing through his ears. He really couldn’t recall the last time he had found himself alone with Hae Chan. Or the last time the boy had remained quiet for this long. It was nice, but he couldn’t lie, there was something about it that was bothering him.

“So,” Mark spoke up, making the other look up at him instantly. He didn't know why he had spoken up now that he had the other's attention. So he just spoke what came to mind. “Why are you so against me? Why do you always pick on me specifically?”

Hae Chan stared at him blankly and Mark watched closely, trying to decipher the look on his face. It didn't seem like he was about to . It was a look Mark had never seen on the boys face before. Like he was in deep thought. Debating. Calculating. Hesitating.

“Incoming. We have reports of a break in at-”

Mark and Hae Chan’s eyes flickered down before they looked back at each other. Without having to say anything, the two stood up, pulling up their ‘Dream Team’ hoods up, grabbing their masks, and Hae Chan swinging his bow and arrow over his shoulder.

“How do you want to get there? Web swing? I can teleport there but you would have to get there first,” Hae Chan began to say as they walked down the dark and empty streets. And without having to be told again, Mark raised a hand, a web shooting out instantly and pulling him up before he swung away.

Mark didn’t really understand why he had to get to the place before Hae Chan for him to be able to teleport there but he didn’t waste anytime. He also didn’t understand how the younger’s powers worked and didn’t want to question them either. So he swung through the buildings, feeling the cool air on his face. It didn’t last long though since the area of destination wasn’t very far and as soon as he landed on one of the roofs overlooking the scene, Hae Chan flashed in right besides him.

“So what are we doing?” Hae Chan asked, taking sight of the scene in front of them. Right below them there was a jewelry shop with a huge broken window at the front. From the angle they were at they could see someone standing outside as guard in a black mask, while someone inside was raiding the shop. “Should we divide and conquer?”

“Okay, here’s the plan,” Mark started, “If I can distract that big guy outside-”

“They have guns,” Hae Chan interrupted, his sharp and enhanced vision focusing on the the small compartment at the guy’s waist.

“What?” Mark asked, turning around to see what Hae Chan was looking at. “But they’re illegal, how did they get hold of such weapons?”

“Doesn’t matter, our job is to stop them,” Hae Chan said. “I’ll distract him and take the gun away, you just make sure the other guy doesn’t make a run for it with the stolen goods.”

Mark opened his mouth to say something, but before he could the younger had already disappeared in a flash and reappeared behind the big guy standing guard. And before Mark could sigh or curse the other for being so reckless, he had already begun to fight him.

“Guess that’s my cue,” Mark mumbled to himself before swinging down and landing next to Hae Chan. Immediately the two began to fight, Hae Chan teleporting around so the guy wouldn’t shoot him while Mark shot webs at the guy who had been stuffing all of the jewelry into a bag.

But after a while, it was beginning to seem like the two had gone at it all wrong when Mark was having a hard time dealing with the thief, and Hae Chan was getting tired of dodging the big guy’s attacks.

“Want to switch guys?!” Mark yelled as he clung on to the wall, barely dodging the attack from the other.

“You read my mind!” Hae Chan called out, immediately teleporting out of sight before reappearing behind the guy Mark had been fighting and sending him flying with a kick. Mark whistled at the sight before he turned to the big guy and used his webs to pull the gun away from him. He then proceeded to move forward and throw attacks at him, gracefully dodging every attack before he was able to wrap him up in his webs. At the same time Hae Chan kicked the other guy in his direction, a sign for him to also web him up.

“We did it,” Mark breathed out, looking over the two webbed guys in disbelief.

“Heck yeah we did!” Hae Chan exclaimed excitedly as he reappeared at his side, swinging an arm around his shoulder.

Before the two could have any more moments of celebration, they heard sirens off in the distance and turned to look each other with a knowing glance. Without any words said, Mark used his webs to pull himself out of there and back to the rooftop where they had originally been, and Hae Chan followed seconds after, teleporting to his side, just as the police cars pulled up at the scene.

“Come on, let’s get out of here- What are you doing?” Mark watched as Hae Chan pulled back an arrow, eyes going into focus before he let go and the arrow swiftly landed besides the head of one of the guys.

“Just leaving behind a trace of us,” Hae Chan responded as he swung his bow back and walked over to the older. “I thought it would be cool if we left some signature mark like in the superhero movies.”

“What did you sign it?” Mark asked.

“From your friendly neighborhood Spider M, and the hot and young, Full Sun.”

 


 

“So are Spider M and Full Sun the new superhero duo, fighting against supervillains like Captain J? Or a more undercover vigilante team fighting against crime? Whatever they are, I am Jung W-”

The monitor went dark and everyone in the room turned to look at Hae Chan and Mark who sat at the far back, sheepish grins on their faces.

“Since when do you two work well together?” Jeno was the first to speak up.

“Why were you out fighting crime at three in the morning?” Jae Min was the second to speak up.

Hae Chan and Mark exchanged a look. They then turned back to the others and shrugged.

“Doesn’t matter,” Hae Chan responded, walking over to the center of the room. “Because we found something last night.” And then he disappeared before reappearing seconds later, a gun in his hand. Everyone gasped at the sight of the weapon. “They had these.”

“You brought one?!” Mark questioned rather loudly. “Why?!”

“I thought it be best to examine!” Hae Chan defended. “Besides, that’s not what matters. After the events of last night I went home and began to research and while guns aren’t completely illegal here, the only ones allowed are for hunting and sporting and must be stored at police stations. Also, this is no hunting gun.”

“Then what is it?” Chenle piped up from his seat besides Ji Sung where he watched the gun closely.

“I’m not very sure,” Hae Chan responded with a sigh. “It is as if this gun doesn’t exist anywhere in the world. All I could find was the logo here, but I couldn’t match it to anything.”

Ji Sung got up and walked over to Hae Chan, taking the gun into his own hands.

“Careful there, poop hands,” Jae Min said half-joking and half-dead-serious.

Ji Sung turned the weapon around in his hands, observing it carefully. He stared at the logo, a frown on his face. “I feel like I’ve seen this logo somewhere before.”

“Yeah, well you would probably have better luck finding it,” Hae Chan said. “I couldn’t find anything at all.”

Ji Sung took out his phone, taking many pictures of the gun from many different angles before handing it back to Hae Chan. “Put it somewhere safe. We can’t have that lying around here.”

Hae Chan nodded and teleported out before flashing back in. The gun was no longer in sight and Ji Sung was already back at his seat, typing away.

“Jeno, you have work today, right?” Ji Sung asked.

“Yeah, why?”

“Mark, Hae Chan,” Ji Sung called out to the two, “Let’s put your newly found teamwork to test.”

And that was how Mark found himself crawling through some vents while Hae Chan teleported around the building, following the instructions Jeno was giving him so he knew where to jump around to not get caught while Ji Sung observed everything from their little room.

“The new equipment I got from my guy in Russia should work better this time,” Ji Sung’s voice came in through the headpiece. “Also, now we have Jeno as an in.”

“Okay Jeno, I made it on to the eighth floor, where to now?” Hae Chan asked as he walked through the hallway, occasionally teleporting to another corner when someone passed by.

“There’s a room on the twelfth floor that Ren Jun wouldn’t give any info on,” Jeno spoke. He fixed his glasses and pretended to focus on some random work on his laptop, sitting at the far back of the cafeteria on the fifth floor. “And then I have no idea what any of the top floors are. When I asked about them Ren Jun said they were top secret and classified and that only the higher-ups got to work there.”

“What higher-ups?” Mark asked, still crawling around the vents.

“I don’t know, he was very secretive,” Jeno responded.

“Okay, I made it on to the twelfth floor,” Hae Chan’s voice came in once again. At this point he was walking down the hall, eyes scanning his entire surroundings, his vision not missing a single detail. “I don’t see any room that- wait, is it the one at the far end with the big black doors?”

“That’s the one,” Jeno responded with a nod, as if anyone could actually see him.

“Mark, if you keep going up forward you’ll find a way up to the top floors that Jeno was talking about,” Ji Sung’s voice came through.

“Got it,” Mark responded.

Everyone remained silent after that. Mark was busy making his way through the vents, thankful that his powers allowed him to move with ease. Jeno was still pretending to focus on some work. Ji Sung was watching everything with all his separate monitors. And then Hae Chan was trying to figure out a way to sneak into the room with the big black doors. He could just open them and walk in, but the chances of there being someone behind the closed doors were high and there was no way he could predict when the room would empty out. So he just stood there, thinking.

“Hae Chan,” Mark’s voice came through right at that moment, “I think I’m above the room you’re trying to get into.”

“You are?” Hae Chan asked, sounding a little more excited than he intended.

“Yeah, hold on.” There was a bunch of shuffling heard before Mark’s voice came through once again. “Okay, it looks like some sort of security room? Not like a room with a bunch of monitors reflecting on what’s going on around the building, but like, what Ji Sung has back in the room. The many monitors and file cabinet thingies.”

“It must be the data center facility,” Ji Sung mumbled. “Hae Chan, Mark, you need to find a way inside that room. That’s the room we have been trying to get into this whole time.”

“Got it,” Hae Chan responded. “Mark, is it safe to go in?”

“No, there’s three guys inside.”

“Then what do I do?”

“Wait.”

“Huh?” Hae Chan was ready to question what Mark meant by that, but before he could he heard some loud clatters coming from inside the room. Some loud shuffling. And then a click. And then the door opened up, revealing Mark with his hood down and ruffled hair.

“Did you just. . .?” Hae Chan peered inside, seeing three bodies knocked out inside. “I’m impressed, Mark Lee,” He said rather blankly.

Mark rolled his eyes and closed the doors when the younger walked in. “We need to hurry and look around.”

“But what are we looking for? I don’t understanding anything in here. It’s just a bunch of technical things and stuff,” Hae Chan said as he made his way over the bodies, careful not to step on any.

“I’ll tell you two what I’m looking for,” Ji Sung’s voice came through, “I just need you guys to focus your cameras on everything you see.”

Without having to be told again, Mark and Hae Chan began to work. The two split up and began to look around, hoping Ji Sung could see what they needed. It really would have helped if they knew what they were looking for and weren’t just relying on the tiny cameras in their masks that a seventeen-year-old had implanted in.

“Ji Sung, are you seeing anything? I don’t think we have much time left.” Hae Chan sighed in desperation as he kept walking around.

“Wait, go back!” Ji Sung practically yelled. “That! Yes, right there!”

Mark walked over to where Hae Chan was and the two got closer the what Ji Sung pointed out. “What is this?”

“That’s our way in,” Ji Sung spoke. “Mark, get the flash drive I gave you and place it in.”

Mark glanced at Hae Chan who only shrugged. He dug into his pocket, pulling out the stick the younger had given him earlier, and taking a step forward. He placed it in and heard Ji Sung yell in excitement through the earpiece. “We have an in!”

But that happiness didn’t last for much longer. The door swung open from the other side of the room and the two vigilantes turned to look at each other wide-eyed.

“Wait, you can’t pull it out yet, I’m only 13% in,” Ji Sung’s voice came through.

“We can’t get caught, we’ll come back another time,” Hae Chan said, quickly pulling out the flash drive as he heard the footsteps coming in close.

“Guys, what’s going on?” Jeno’s voice came through. But no response was given, for if the two spoke they would surely get caught.

Worrying that something wrong might have happened, Jeno began to gather his things and stand up, and-

“Hey, Jeno.” His eyes shifted up, landing on the short boy who was headed his way. “Ren Jun.”

“Are you going somewhere?” Ren Jun asked, watching how Jeno began to shift around uncomfortably, as if he desperately needed to be somewhere.

Jeno shook his head instantly, sitting back down. “No, I- uh- no.”

Ren Jun gave him a suspicious look, but didn’t question any further. Instead he sat down across from Jeno, preventing the other from being able to go and help his friends. He just hoped they could be good on their own.

Meanwhile, the other two were panicking.

Mark and Hae Chan took a few steps back, trying to remain as quiet as possible until they were crouching down besides the wall, barely hidden by the generators. But the footsteps were still approaching. Hae Chan shifted back more, bumping into Mark who was right behind him. He turned his head, eyes instantly locking with the olders'.

Mark flinched, moving back in reflex from the close proximity, bumping in the wall behind him instead. He winced in pain and his hand went up to the back of his head.

‘Are you okay?’ Hae Chan mouthed and he nodded. The younger then proceeded to make some hand gestures while mouthing something about teleporting and webs and distraction. Mark didn’t really understand what he was getting at, but he also didn’t want to stay in that little corner with Hae Chan pressed up against him.

And then the footsteps were coming for them, only a couple of feet apart. And Hae Chan vanished. Mark was about to get offended that he left him all alone, when when heard some cluttering from the other side of the room, most certainly the younger boy making some sort of distraction. And then the footsteps disappeared and he took the opportunity to jump up to the ceiling, crawling his way back into the vent.

“Okay, I’m out,” Mark said when he crawled away.

“Me too,” Hae Chan responded.

“You two scared me for a moment,” Jeno sighed. “I was going to go help you two out but then Ren Jun came in to talk to me about some work.”

“It’s fine,” Hae Chan said, “ I just need you to tell me what the closest exit is.”

“I’ll come find you at the staircase,” Jeno said and began to head towards the stairs, unaware of the eyes that watched him walk away.

Eventually Jeno was able to help Hae Chan and Mark leave, walking back to their little room with them since his shift was over. And when they made their way back they all celebrated the accomplishments of that day.

“We finally did something right!” Hae Chan exclaimed as he tossed himself on to the couch. “I think I deserve a nap.”

“You two made a pretty good team, you know,” Jae Min spoke up before he took a sip of his monster coffee. “It was quite interesting to watch.”

“You watched too?” Hae Chan questioned, sitting up.

“Yeah, we all did,” Chenle replied.

“Well,” Hae Chan mumbled, slowly sliding back down on the couch. “That’s embarrassing. . .”

“We do make a pretty good duo, huh?” Mark thought out loud.

“Don’t flatter yourself, I still think I carried the team.”

“Whatever, Hyuck,” Mark said with a roll of his eyes. “I’ve grown on you.”

A small smile appeared on the younger’s face, hearing his nickname for the first time in a while. His eyes closed, the smile still evident on his face and-

“Oh my gosh,” Jeno gasped, “Hae Chan you-”

“Get out of my head, Jeno!”

And then Jae Min jumped in. “I can feel it! Ew!”
 


 

Inside a dimly lit room, barely illuminated by the light that peeked in through the shut curtains behind the man at the desk; The man put his hands together, leaning back in his seat. “You know they were trying to sneak in today, right?”

“Yes, sir,” A smaller voice responded from the shadows of the dark side of the room.

“It’s not the first time. And it probably won’t be the last,” The low voice from the man responded. He then hummed. It was scary. “You know what you have to do?”

“Of course, sir,” the smaller voice responded once again.

“Good. Make sure to stop them at all costs.”

“Certainly. Sir.”

 

 


 

“Are you sure I can’t walk you inside?” Jae Min pouted, holding Jeno’s hand in his own, not wanting to let go.

“Yeah, Jae Min,” Jeno responded, trying to pull his hand away from the taller boy. “It’s embarrassing having your best friend walk you to your internship workplace.”

“Is it a crime if I just want to make sure you’re okay?” Jae Min began to sulk as they walked up to the main entrance. “I just-”

Jeno looked up at the boy, noticing his sudden silence. It wasn’t like Jae Min to just shut up, so when he saw he was staring off into the distance he looked over and- Oh.

“Hello, I don’t think I’ve properly introduced myself,” The shorter spoke up as he approached them, an oddly placed smile on his face. “I’m Huang Ren Jun.” And he extended a hand out, waiting for Jae Min to take it.

Jeno’s eyebrows raised, taken back by the sudden kindness of the boy. He looked over at Jae Min who seemed completely starstruck.

“Uh, hi,” Jae Min responded, finally getting back to his senses. He looked down at the other’s hand, carefully calculating.

But Ren Jun took his hand away, clasping it in his other as he let out a nervous chuckle. “I, uh, it’s probably best if we don’t touch.”

“Why?” Jeno asked before Jae Min had the chance.

Ignoring his question, Ren Jun turned to him with a smile and asked, “Do you remember when you said I could join your team? I think I’m ready to accept that offer.”

Jae Min almost fell down to his knees and Jeno was far more taken back. He hadn't know the guy long, but he was so sure he was the type to never go back on his word.

“Really? Why?” Jae Min asked, sounding a little too surprised.

“I- well, I said I was used to being alone,” Ren Jun said, looking too uncomfortable to actually be Ren Jun. “But I think I should stray away from that idea now. Especially since my powers are opposite to yours and have been acting up since that day we met at the park.”

“So you do admit it was you at the park- huh?” Jae Min stopped himself, processing what the other had said. “Your powers are what?”

“Apathy,” Ren Jun spoke. “The power to conceal emotion.”

And then it all made sense.

 

--

So, all this time, Nae and I have had like three to five chapters prepared in our drafts, but I guess we got busy or something because we only have one left and we aren't really working on more as much as we would like.

Therefore, is this new poll asking what we should put more of to maybe speed us up. -J

Hello welcome to maaashy mart, my name is Elmer. What can I help you find today sir?

Crap we've got Koreans...Lock up the cabbage 

~Nae