Depression and Determination

For You

 

It’s close to midnight when Jongin finally leave his office. After spending the night for extra work, the 30 years old man drive with zombie eyes towards drive thru McDonald, buy nuggets and eat it all during ride back home.

 

With zero expectation other than an empty house to welcome him like always, Jongin’s surprised to see three strange looking cars parked in front of his house. The front lights of the house are also on, indicating that there are people inside. 

 

After finding alternative space to park the car, he is curious to see who’s actually inside. Quickly get off from the car and open the front door, the tall man is even more surprised when he hears quite a crowd, sound of people chattering around at the dining table area. 

 

Since the morning, Jongin didn’t expect to see his husband today, cause 5 days since Tuesday is supposed to be Saturday, but well.. the said person is here now.

 

Besides his husband, there are also more people inside his house now. Sitting beside Kyungsoo there are also his Hyung, his sister in law, and two strange looking guys. 

 

Though it’s late and he’s not into the mood to socialize at all, still Kai welcome his brother with a warm hug and shakes hand politely with his sister in law as well.

 

“Hyung!! Nice to see you again!!”

 

“Nice to see you too man~”

 

The other two guys introduce themselves as Byun Baekhyun: Kyung’s assistant, and Yixing, director of HR who apparently went to the US with Kyungsoo as well.

 

On the table currently there are pizzas, nachos, fritter snacks, some sushi, and two opened bottles of champagne. Somewhat appears like they’re celebrating something today, Jongin naively thought.

 

“Jongin-ah, come join us! We are celebrating our Kyungsoo’s achievement today, he just received an award!!” Says Seungsoo cheerfully 

 

Kyungsoo who hasn’t said a word since Kai arrives gives his brother a quick reply

“Nah hyung, we owe it all to the employees as well”

 

“That’s why we’re going to celebrate with them later!”

The smaller guy also chirped in. He’s Kyung’s assistant, Kai noted.

 

“Here. Have some drinks Jongin-ah”

 

“Ahh.. no hyung.. not now”

 

“You don’t drink? Then have some soda. Kyungsoo and Yixing are tired as well but we won’t stay for too long, so don’t worry” Seungsoo says with a smile.

 

His brother in law is being kind like usual. Whenever Kyungsoo’s brother is around, any situation would be hardly awkward for everyone especially for Jongin as well. He owes a lot to his bro for saving him so many times at family gatherings.

 

“No no.. please, feel free to stick around  hyung. But I should apologize and excuse myself for a while”

 

With a heavy heart Jongin quietly pull himself out of the group, not wanting to ruin their precious moment.

He feels like there’s no use to stay any longer anyway, so with all the silent stares given to him, Jongin go upstairs while bowing and muttering slow apology to them all.

 

 

///

 

Keeping himself busy in the bedroom by washing face, brushing teeth and changing to his sleepwear, Jongin’s mind is  still as messy as before despite now being finally alone. 

 

He doesn’t usually frown, but he had been so the entire day and night. 

 

These few days, by leaving the house Jongin thought he could forget Kyungsoo for a while. However, that doesn’t seem to be the case after all. 

 

When he stepped into the house few minutes ago, Jongin nearly froze cause he really don’t know what to do. He wants to act in front of Seungsoo and everyone by coming close to his husband, hugging him or at least giving him a light peck. But he can’t do that. He did nothing to Kyungsoo. Their eyes don’t even met. Jongin can’t act when he knew what previously happened between them two: him and Kyungsoo.

 

The current situation and mood downstairs isn’t helping much either. It’s Friday and he only got home by midnight when Kyungsoo just arrived from the US.

He feels ashamed. Jongin feel the shame just by standing there.

Maybe he overreacts, he might be, but Jongin can’t get himself together whenever he’s around Kyungsoo, cause he feels ashamed. He feels so guilty towards his spouse. 

 

His Kyungsoo, their Kyungsoo did so well in his job and he’s such a bright star for everyone. 

His colleague and siblings even throw a surprise party to make him happy and cheer him up after a long flight. He even got an award! Damn! And yet I’m the only one who doesn’t know about it all. Inner Jongin.

 

How could one hurt him? He hardly did anything wrong. He never rebel and bring trouble to anyone. Jongin knows that his spouse didn’t deserve this all. Kyungsoo doesn’t deserve to be locked in this house for two years.

 

He should be free now. He should’ve married some one else he loves.

 

When he look at Kyungsoo with such lovely people around him, Jongin can sense the warmth and he doesn’t want to ruin that. As much as he wanted to bring Kyungsoo into his arm, he can’t.

 

He feels so little against Kyungsoo because he never did anything to him. Other than their house, since their marriage Jongin never gave or did anything to Kyungsoo.

 

No love, no gifts, no affection, no communication. All that remains between them are just the past. The bitter past that’s too late to be realized.

 

Kyungsoo has endured so much and yet he never bring it out to anyone.

Nah, he didn’t deserve this all; Jongin repeat himself while lying flat in the empty bed.

 

As much as hates to admit it, but Kai knows that he is just a stranger. Not so worthy stranger hanging out in Kyungsoo’s perfect life.

 

What kind of husband am I? I have hurt Kyungsoo once. He doesn’t want to do that twice. What Jongin needs now is time to recover and clear his head for a while.

 

I’m sorry Kyungsoo. I’m sorry for everything.

 

 

////

 

 

 

“Is there something wrong between you too? Jongin isn’t like his usual self”

 

Once Jongin disappear from their sight, Seungsoo ask his brother right away, worried if something serious happen between the two

 

“Nah, he’s probably just tired hyung” Kyungsoo answers calmly and they quickly move on to another topic. 

 

Baekhyun’s eagle eye though, notice the change in his boss’s face and make a mental note that Kyungsoo has obviously just lied. 

It’s obvious that his boss is just as confused as everybody else when his husband left, Baekhyun notice. But well, he has also known better that Do Kyungsoo.. is just being Kyungsoo.

 

“Okay..”

 

 

——-

 

 

 

The next morning Jongin wake up pretty late; it’s almost noon when he check the clock. Peeking to the left, as expected the space next to him is empty, only messy pillow and duvet left surrounding him along with very warm late morning sun. 

 

As he stretch his lean body, Jongin yawns. He feels so good this morning, much better than before, thanks to a clearer mind and less tense shoulder compare to when he’s just about to sleep last night.

 

Yeah, Jongin knows that he was so emo (emotional) last night; curling up under the blanket like emo teenager waiting for their crush.

 

Since Kyungsoo’s gone abroad, Kai had been emoing like a stupid person actually, got dwelt in guiltiness and all. 

Just until midnight, after Jongin pour all his heart, accepting all those emotions inside and digest it thoroughly, he has become much better now.

 

With Kyungsoo back in the house, now Jongin feel the needs to gear up; picking up his old selves to be a proper man again.

Enough with all the self pities that wouldn’t correct a thing;

He has decided to do some action instead from today onwards;

Action to be a better person, a proper spouse, a worthy husband for Kyungsoo because they deserve it all.

 

There is always an option to be happy, so let’s be happy. Jongin thought

 

Kim Jongin hwaiting!!! ^^

 

 

///

 

When he get down few minutes later, Jongin find Soo sitting on their pantry with a mug on his right hand, staring at the outside window with still his pajama on.

 

Randomly ruffling his hair while stepping down, this time he has decided to initiate a talk first. They haven’t seen each other’s faces  again since he ran and didn’t come back last night.

 

When Kyungsoo and everyone else finished their mini gathering, Kai is already asleep; Or pretending to be asleep to be more exact. 

 

He heard Kyungsoo got in, got into the bathroom, change clothes, until the small body lay next to him. Back to back facing away from each other, once he knows Kyungsoo is there somehow he felt relieved. And only by then Jongin can truly fall asleep.

‘It’s good to feel his presence again after short absent.’ he thought last night. 

 

Well anyway, now here they are then. Jongin starts to act like he wants to make a tea as a camouflage, he turn on the boiler and open more than one cabinet to look for a mug. This is his own house but Jongin doesn’t know the kitchen better than a first time guest, well...

 

Waiting for the water to boil, he finally starts to initiate the talk

 

“Good morning”

 

“Oh. Good morning”

 

Kyungsoo turn his head a bit towards him. He looks a bit flustered upon hearing his husband calling him.

 

“Congratulations on the award anyway. Sorry I didn’t manage to congratulate you last night”

 

Now Kyungsoo turn his back too and replies quickly

 

“Thank you”

 

They don’t actually look at each other’s eye, but at least Kyungsoo’s not looking away from him; and that was good enough.

 

“Sorry for asking, but what exactly is the award you achieved about?”

 

If only Kyungsoo knows how bad his husband feels for asking this question in the first place.

 

Gah... whenever Soo is around, he just can’t stop feeling bad about everything related to the latter. It’s like every single piece of his body is screaming guilt. maybe he deserved it after all.

 

“It’s more about the rank. Every year the hotels in the chain got assessed and ranked. We were at 50 something last year. But this year we manage to be at top 15, and top 10 in whole Asia”

 

“Wow” Kai spontaneously replies

 

“Yea,,, that’s why we received an extra award as best improvement for property above 10 years. We were very welcomed by other GMs as well”

 

“That.. that’s very great.” Now he stutters again. Goddammit Jongin, for once get your words right!!!

“you’ve done a very good job then”

 

Kyungsoo chuckles and hum a light reply

 

“Yea, thank you. But this is all about the teamwork. I wouldn’t able to achieve this alone. We will hold appreciation gathering for staffs who improve significantly soon”

 

“Emmm.. yea.. that’s great”

 

Ohwow did Kyungsoo just say more than one sentence to him? Not to forget this is also the first time they’re actually conversing about something else other than marriage and their family. 

Wow.

His body shudders upon realizing the fact.

 

On the other side, Kyungsoo might have just noticed it too. When silence envelope them two, he quickly finish the drink and move aside to do the dishes, maybe trying to escape from Jongin too asap.

 

“You are still a great boss though. Well done.” Jongin finally adds.

 

Hearing that Kyungsoo simply nods this time, and with that he further follows up

 

“Err.. I’ll be in my office then. Just tell me if you need anything”

 

“Sure”

 

Within seconds Jongin run climbing back to the upper floor again while cursing at himself.

 

‘Damn, why would he need me for? This is his house too, why did you say so Jongin? Gahhhhhhhhh!!’

 

 

Awkward. Nearly everything at the start is always awkward.

But still, better start late than never right?

 

 

 

——

 

 

“Yeoboseyo

 

“Yeoboseyo. Jongin-ah?

 

“Y.. ye.. yes?

 

“This is Kyungsoo’s umma speaking

 

“Ohh.. omonim. How are you?

 

“I’m good thanks. Have you been busy Jongin?”

Asks Mrs. Do straightaway

 

“Eumm.. no, not at all omonim. What is it? Anything I can help?

 

“Ahh no no no, I‘m calling to tell, I’m going out with my son today for lunch. If you have time, you’re free to join.

 

“Oh really? Well... well I have nothing to do omonim, so I’d be happy to join”

 

“Good then! I’ll text you the name of the restaurant, and we’ll meet at 12:30, okay?”

 

“Sure omonim

 

“Alright, thanks Jongin

 

“Yourwelcome mother. I’ll see you soon

 

 

And the call ends properly with Jongin clenching his fist.

 

Hmmm lunch with Kyungsoo and his mother. This is something new.

 

——

 

 

When the clock strikes 11:30, Jongin grabs his phone, wallet, and jacket and leave to the parking lot rightaway; instructing his driver to go to Kyungsoo’s hotel at CoEx.

 

Few minutes later, despite a light traffic, Jongin arrives at the lobby and walks in the grand entrance confidently.

 

Looking left and right around the main lobby area, thankfully a concierge staff came near to him asking if he has any enquiry.

 

“Good afternoon sir, how may I help you?”

 

“Oh.. good afternoon. I’m.. looking for a staff. He works here....”

Jongin bit his bottom lip, a bit unsure how to explain his situation properly to the older man

 

“Ahh.. may I know the name of the employee you look for sir? Maybe my colleague here can help”

They move to the front desk area where the concierge ahjussi lead Jongin to front desk staff with PC.

 

“His name is Kyungsoo. Do Kyungsoo. He works as the GM here”

The second that setence said, both of the staffs in front of him laugh a bit, a bit shocked with opened mouth like in awe before they went silent for a while.

 

“Ohh.. ohh. Mr. Do? Do Kyungsoo ssi??”

 

He nods to reassure the answer for the second time

 

“Please follow me sir, I’ll be happy to bring you there” 

 

 

////

 

 

“We are sorry for the discomfort Mr. Kim, but this is the only way to reach management’s office from the Main Lobby, I hope you understand”

 

Inside the small elevator, the concierge staff speak up again. His name is Jae Hyuk Park, Jongin see from his badge.

 

 

“Ahh,, no no, it’s not discomforting at all ahjussi, don’t worry”

 

Apparently from the lobby, he is led entering a hidden door to go through a normal ceramic corridor. After that, they also go upstairs using a quite cramp elevator, then walk again from one corridor to another.

 

This part of the hotel he is currently in, is very different from the outside area for guests where it is very grand. The inside is not bad, but definitely simpler, plainer, and just like any other ordinary office not like a hotel anymore.

 

 

Once they passed through one secured door at the end of the corridor, Jongin finds several working desks with people working in there.

Most employees stare indirectly at him, but when Jongin see a familiar face sitting on a desk outside a room labeled “general manager”, he knows that they have arrived at their destination. 

 

 

“Oh, annyonghaseyo Mr. Kim”

Byun Baekhyun rise from his seat immediately when he see the presence of their sudden guest. 

 

“Hi Baekhyun”

Thank God I still remember his name.

 

The executive assistant quickly give out his hand for a handshake and Jongin receive it nicely. 

 

After few bows, thank you and goodbye from the concierge staff, Park ahjussi excuse himself first thus Jongin’s left alone with his husband’s secretary now. 

 

 

“Very nice to have you here. Kim Kai ssi”

Assistant Byun says with a wide smile, trying to welcome his boss’s husband in the most friendly way as best as he can.

 

“Please call me Jongin,”

He replies flatly the other man 

 

“So eumm.. is Kyungsoo in his office? I came to pick him up for lunch”

 

“Ohhh well, Kyungsoo ssi just left few minutes ago to the rooftop restaurant, we had a bit of a problem there, but I believe he will come down soon.” Baekhyun smoothly explains, telling the truth that his boss indeed just left less than five minutes ago. Thin difference, but it still matters.

 

“But I can inform him about your visit so Mr. Do can come right away if you like.”

 

“Ahh no no no, I’ll just wait, it’s fine; I’m not so in hurry as well. He should come back soon any minutes right?”

 

“Yea..”

 

“Okay, can I wait inside the room then?” Asks Jongin directly because there are so many eyes staring at him at the moment; they’re still talking at an open office place.

 

“Ah, sure. Please do come in, sir”

 

Baekhyun opens the door for him and offer the very basic question for a guest

 

“Would you like some coffee? Or tea?”

 

“Coffee would be fine, thanks”

 

As his boss’s husband is already inside the room now, Baekhyun assume that he could help himself

 

“Sure, coming in a minute sir”

 

And the door is closed tightly once again.

 

 

“Manager Kim, manager Kim. Please inform GM to go to his office immediately.” 

 

Once he closed the door tight behind him, Baekhyun work his thumb fastly on the phone to records a message to F&B manager Kim Eun Ji who just left with the GM earlier. 

Baekhyun sends her tons and tons of personal messages, signaling red flag to read his text immediately.

 

Duh, broken ceiling due to storm at one of their restaurant isn’t that important anymore, because... they have a much more important situation here: unexpected guest waiting for the GM!! 

 

His boss better come down soon, if not now! Inner Baekhyun. He slyly can’t wait to see Kyungsoo’s precious shock expression when he see who is here at the moment, keke. 

 

 

 

Kyungsoo’s office room described in two words would be plain and black. The private office just like anybody else’s have every basic elements like shelves, sofa, desk, and other stuffs, but hardly accompanied with any personal touch in it. 

 

When Jongin looks around and examine every corner thoroughly, he couldn’t  find any photos besides one frame: a photo of Seungsoo and Kyungsoo from a while ago. 

 

Other than that photo, he could hardly find anything that shows Kyungsoo’s mark or ownership in there. The room isn’t too big but not too small. It is very neat and clean. The only unusual thing to be noticed is a clothing shelf where several suits are hung in there. 

 

Kyungsoo’s outer jacket, a long dark blue one that he usually wears is also there. Jongin touch the soft fabric with his fingers to kill the time, thinking about many other things at the same time.

 

Knock knock knock. 

 

When the silence is broke by the opened door, Jongin jumps a bit in shock, previously being too absorbed in his own thought. 

Lucky the person who came to serve his drink doesn’t seem to notice and just do her task rightly straight away.

 

 

“Your coffee sir”

 

“Thank you”

 

Jongin replies with a smile as he circles around the sofa. Hmm..

 

“Oh. Annyonghaseyo, GM-nim”

Another soft voice can be heard outside the room, Jongin tilt his head a bit to see but then the door is suddenly opened again, with Kyungsoo’s standing there so their eyes meet at that second. 

 

 

“Kim Jongin..”

 

From his facial expression alone Jongin can see that Soo is shocked to see him here.

Well, he must be, this is the first time Jongin step his foot inside the room: uninvited, and he also hasn’t said anything before.

 

 

“Hi. Your mom invited me to join your lunch with her. So I came here to pick you up, if you... haven’t had any other plan to be done” Jongin starts to explain the reason why he’s here quite a sudden at this hour.

 

“My mom ask you to come as well?”

 

“Yes”

 

“12:30 at Lotte?”

 

“Yes”

 

The silence continue between them as Kyungsoo enters the room still with a very confused face.

It is the first time for Jongin and him to do something in private without prior arrangement. And with the taller suddenly came out of the blue to pick him up is something.... weird. Like plainly weird.

 

If he is usually quite, today Kyung appears to be nearly mute in front of Jongin.

 

“So... shall we go together?”

 

A bit staring at the other man, Kyungsoo has no idea what plan his mother and Jongin have for him.

 

Going in the same car with Jongin will be weird, but Kyungsoo cannot reject the idea too and make his husband leave empty handedly.

There are people outside watching them. They are in public, there are too many eyes around.

 

Lastly, not to forget about his mom as well.

How come she invite Jongin without telling him before hand? Kyungsoo feels like being left out in here. 

 

“Okay, sure”

 

He might not be satisfied with the whole thing, but Kyungsoo decided to just go along with it.

 

“Shall we go then?”

 

“Sure”

 

 

///

 

When they arrive at the designated place, Kyungsoo’s mom is already waiting there. Led by the host to their table, Jongin bows politely to his mother in law and greeted by a warm hug by the classy middle aged woman standing in front of him.

 

“Mother” says Kyungsoo

 

“Omonim”

 

“Jongin, Kyungsoo, come have a seat.”

 

Jongin reach for his husband’s chair first before they’re sitting next to each other, while Mrs. Do sit in front of Kyungsoo across the table.

 

“Thanks for coming here to see me. You know, I have many free times nowadays, so why not asking you lunch, along with Jongin as well, Soo” says Mrs. Do elegantly before they start opening the menu book.

 

 

Their lunch that day went smooth and light. Mrs. Do and Kyungsoo mainly discussing some hotel maters while Jongin attentively listens next to them.

 

From being passive listener of the mother and son conversation though, Jongin learns so much thing about Mrs. Do; that she was actually a hotelier too many many years ago, just like her youngest son.

 

Mrs. Do’s father (‘harabeoji’) apparently is the person who built two hotels which their family lead. They also discuss about harabeoji’s health and medication as well; While Kyungsoo’s father, Mr. Do never got involved in the hotelier industry as he is more into merger and acquisition businesses like what Seungsoo does. 

 

Even more surprisingly, Mrs. Do also attended the same university Kyungsoo graduated from in France, that’s why they have a long list of mutual topics to be discussed with each other. 

 

Jongin himself got fascinated by his mother in law since today. He always thought Mrs. Do is just a mere household wife and mother before, but she is actually a sharp businesswoman and a perfectionist hotelier as well.

Now Jongin understands where Kyungsoo’s hardworking attitude came from. 

 

 

 

“Kyungsoo dear”

 

“Yes mother”

 

“I heard that you are looking for some paintings to fill in some rooms?”

 

“Yes, we are rearranging the decoration of the suite, and there are few more spots need to be filled by frame” Kyungsoo explains flatly while enjoying his dessert

 

“Well, there is a mini exhibition of my favorite painter upstairs. Do you want to take a look with me? Maybe we can find suitable one for the hotel to purchase”

 

Jongin take a look at his left immediately and see Kyungsoo nods, accepting his mother’s idea obidiently -much expected from Do Kyungsoo.

 

“Jongin, do you have time as well? Or do you need to leave?”

 

“No no omonim, I’m not busy at all. I’ll be happy to join if you allow”

 

“Of course” 

 

 

 

After the meal then, three of them move upstairs to level 15 where a small park terrace is located. Next to the terrace, a painting exhibition is currently held and when they arrive, there are not too many people around.

 

 

“How many paintings are you looking for Soo?”

 

“Three mother.”

 

“Hmmm do you think this one would be suitable for the Dome suite?”

 

“It’s quite plain, but still acceptable”

Kyungsoo make a move to look closer, and then take a photo of the painter’s name and the title for further consideration.

 

They are currently just at the start. Moving on to the next painting, still without saying much, Jongin tail his husband and mom in law enjoying the exhibited collection one by one.

 

 

The invitation for today’s lunch and to see all these paintings, Jongin later learns in the hard way is not just something without an aim.

 

For the next half an hour, not only Kyungsoo got asked for his opinion, but Jongin as well.

Them three spend minute after minute standing in front of a piece, then Mrs. Do will ask Jongin and Kyungsoo about what they think about the painting.

 

What do you see from it? What does it try to convey to you? If you see it after long day outside, what would you feel?

 

Being nowhere near hotelier or person who can appreciate art, Jongin try his best by giving honest answer despite stuttering a bit at the start. He hate being tested/questioned like this, but oh well...

 

 

 

 

By the time they arrive at the end of the exhibit, Kai silently let out a relief sigh while still walking straight next to his mom in law.

 

“Okay then, very nice to see both of you today.

Now, are you and Jongin leaving together son? Or each of you have drivers awaiting...”

 

Jongin knows that Mrs. Do asks Kyungsoo; but as part of the reflex, he grabs his husband’s hand quickly and tangle their fingers together.

 

“We are leaving together mother. I’ll drop Kyungsoo at his office”

 

“Oh.. that’s good then, you are such a lucky guy honey. Okay. I’ll be going this way, and you go with your husband okay”

 

Mrs. Do caress Kyungsoo’s fluffy cheek once before she turns her back and go.

 

Jongin politely bows to her, and once Mrs. Do can hardly be seen from their feet anymore, the pair turn their back and walk to the nearest lobby as well, waiting to be picked up by Jongin’s driver.

 

 

 

 

“Thank you”

 

Jongin thought he is hallucinating when he heard Kyungsoo speaking as they stand waiting for the car.

 

“Thank you for what?”

 

“For bearing with my mother today” says Kyungsoo with a flat tone, making Jongin rise his eyebrows for a while.

 

“Well, you’re welcome”

 

 

 

After chuckling quietly upon Kyungsoo’s statement, once they enter the car Jongin thinks back about his female in law again; which is actually not that bad at all. In his opinion after today’s short observation, Mrs. Do is a classy high end socialite who always keep her class, but still very traditional too at the same time; That’s why she tested Kyungsoo and himself about painting and stuffs. 

 

Jongin’s best guess about his mother in law’s action of testing them is because she wants to know more about Jongin and Kyungsoo’s personality.

People say one’s way of interpreting an object can tell much about one’s personality, so maybe that’s what Mrs. Do wanted to see from him, or them, as a married couple. 

 

Or she could be just purely asking for opinion as well though; he can’t be sure for now.

 

//

 

Once he drop Kyungsoo at the hotel, on his ride back Jongin feels so relieved and content for getting to learn more about Kyungsoo and his family today. 

 

Even though they still don’t talk that much and it was just few hours for lunch, but today he feels like a proper perfect spouse for Kyungsoo. 

Today he feels like a true son in law trying to impress his husband’s mother and a caring sweet husband just like how he’s supposed to be all the time.

 

As wrong as whatever action he did in the past, but still Jongin’s inner ego wanted to prove that he still can be a decent husband for Kyungsoo.

 

He absolutely still owe Kyungsoo an apology and stuffs, but Jongin also don’t want to rush it so he’ll wait; he will wait and work to improve their relationship first before moving on to the other things ahead.

 

Now Jongin is determined to make their marriage life more normal, or even better; to make Kyungsoo happy first before paying all his debt and past sin to the latter.

 

I’ll give it a go. I’ll give my all to make this work, Kyungsoo.