Pre Wedding Trip

For You

 

Summer 2018

 

It is nearly eleven o clock on casual Tuesday and the coffee shop located in Apgujeong is currently not busy at all. Turning off his car’s engine; Baekhyun lightly step out of his car and walk a bit towards the coffee shop. 

 

Located in touristy-high end area, unlike the other branches this store mostly guested tourists and females for light coffee or non coffee drinks. The decoration and ambience on the other hand is much more trendy and comfortable than other store’s. 

 

Whistling lightly, Baekhyun enter the store and take an empty seat nearby the window. 

Before ordering, he takes out his phone to send a text

 

“I’m here. You can get out now”

 

To Kim Jongdae. A old pal of his whom he met recently by accident.

 

“Kay. Coming out now!”

 

He instantly got a reply, and less than five minutes later, Jongdae get out from the cafe’s kitchen with two ice americano in hands

 

“Hey”

 

“Hey bro. Nice to see you man” greeted Baekhyun with a smiley eye

 

“Nice to see you too! Here. And have a seat” 

 

“Wow, thanks!!!”

 

On this hot scorching day Baek is more than delighted to have a free coffee from his friend. 

 

Jongdae is a barista and branch manager for this store. His shift just ended half hour ago so he is free now to talk to Baekhyun with no interruption.

 

 

“So. What is it? You came here to talk about something right?” Jongdae asks cutting out the unnecessary small talks

 

“Haha. Yea. Is your boss in town? I’m currently on break this week, you know”

 

“Why are you asking?”

 

“Just curious. Cause Kyungsoo hyung, my boss , was off to Singapore yesterday. And this holiday is quite sudden, you know, unannounced” 

 

Baekhyun rise his eyebrow as if signaling something to Jongdae. He hopes his friend is witted enough to catch what he’s implying.

 

“Well... Chanyeol hyung is off as well.. I guess. I haven’t seen him in the office this week”

 

“Uh.. huh..”

 

“But I’m not sure Baek, maybe he’s in but I just didn’t see him, you know”

 

“Tsk, come on. You’re friends with him on SNS right? Have you checked your sns lately?”

 

“Insta? Ah.. I haven’t checked for long time actually” Jongdae isn’t an active sns user.

 

“Oh come on.. goo check it!! Now!!” Baekhyun nearly yells in excitement sensing that Chanyeol’s insta will be so exciting. 

 

His own boss, Kyungsoo has updated some snaps today from Singapore, but there’s nothing special in it so Baekhyun is still wanting moreee. 

 

That’s why; Baekhyun came to meet Jongdae today because he knows that the latter follows Chanyeol on sns. (Chanyeol owns the coffee shops so he is also the Jongdae’s superior despite being just friend)

 

 

“Oh oh.. see. He updated some stories!”

 

Baekhyun quickly move to the other’s side to see the tall guy’s insta stories more clearly not too long after. 

 

Now Chanyeol’s story starts showing one by one. From the earliest one: nearly 24 hour ago a snap of Incheon airport’s interior, nothing special, so next; a snap from airport window, with caption written Singaporeee!!, legit piece of evidence. Next. Picture of two hands tangled together seated in between seats. Two men hands. One is bigger and one is smaller. Now this picture successfully takes Baekhyun and Jongdae’s breath away. Their mouth opens up a bit in disbelief and excitement. Now THIS is what he come to Apgujeong for!! Inner Baekhyun

 

Next ones are panoramic pictures of Singapore; high building views taken from a cab. Next, view of Marina Bay Sands from a room’s balcony. In one video accidently there is a shadow or a glimpse of not so tall man in the room; someone who looks damn familiar for Baekhyun. 

 

“See? This is Kyungsoo hyung. I am 100% sure that this is Kyungsoo hyung” 

 

Jongdae pause the moving picture for a while to look closely. Indeed even though it’s not so clear either but he can’t deny the claim that the shadows indeed looks a bit like Kyungsoo.. which means.. Do Kyungsoo is on holiday with my boss? Really?? Now Jongdae starts to frown in disbelief while continue stalking his boss’s sns.

 

The next photos after are not so obvious anymore. Mostly picture of sceneries, coffees, museums, some food, with not so obvious hint about the other person anymore. But still, it can be sensed that Chanyeol is obviously going out with someone.. someone who can be easily guessed by Byun Baekhyun.

 

“Gosh... your boss left Seoul yesterday’s afternoon. My boss, Kyungsoo hyung’s flight left exactly around the same time too!!”

Coming back to his own seats, now Baek’s curiosity had been fulfilled and his prophecy could be said 80% true by now. 

 

I knew it.. I knew it... Baekhyun yells inwardly 

 

Now it’s confirmed: Kyungsoo and Chanyeol  go to Singapore together just 2 weeks before one’s marriage with the other guy. 

 

Ouch. Drama. 

 

 

“Baek. Kyungsoo hyung didn’t tell you who he’s going to Singapore with?” Jongdae asks,  hardly believe that there is something going on between the two

 

“Nope. It’s his personal business you know. I have no right to interrupt unless I am invited”

 

“Oh no.. oh no.. oh no..”

 

Not knowing what to do, Jongdae repeat watching the snaps again and sometimes pausing to observe the picture thoroughly. 

 

Wow. All this time he is friend with Chanyeol and they’re quite close as boss and colleague at work, but Jongdae never know or expect his boss to be still in relationship with Kyungsoo hyung. 

 

Baekhyun from the other side come closer to him once again to see the pictures together. 

 

Two cups of coffee, two sets of main dishes, two shadows in the dark room at museums. It’s quite obvious that it’s just them two enjoying the country together. 

 

 

“Oh yes oh yes oh yesss!” Baekhyun on the contrary can’t help but squeal in excitement seeing Chanyeol’s insta stories dates with Kyungsoo

 

“Err... Why are you not surprised to see this kind of thing, Baek? You know that Kyungsoo hyung is enganged with that chaebol businessman named Kim..”

 

“Kim Kai.”

 

“Yes! Kim Kai or something, right?” Jongdae continues “how come you’re not surprised at all?” He clearly doesn’t want to sound judgmental at all, but Jongdae is utterly confused with how his boss acts now. 

 

The news of engagement between Kyungsoo and Kim Kai has been running wild for a while. And yes, eventhough he also knows that Kyungsoo and Chanyeol are still in on/off relationship for quite a while, but still he never expect Chanyeol to be this ‘obvious’ on sns (eventho his insta account is protected obviously)

 

“Haha, surprised? You expect me to be surprised?” Asks Baekhyun

 

Jongdae nods

 

“Nah, of course I am not surprised at all! I will only be surprised if they get married secretly in Singapore and then come back with a legit marriage certificate, okay? Hahaha”

 

Jongdae’s still confused, looking at his friend in awe

 

“Oh come on Dae.. you know I’ve worked as Kyungsoo’s personal executicve assistant for five years right? Five years! And they two have known each other even wayy before then, okay? So why should I be surprised? not to add the fact that we even met again becuse of them as well, remember?”

 

Jongdae nods again, of couse he wouldn’t forget the fact that it was because of Kyungsoo and Chanyeol indeed that he got to meet Baekhyun again.

 

Initially in few years back, he and Baekhyun were college friends, but they lost contact after a while. Until one day, when Kyungsoo brought Baekhyun along to this coffee shop to meet Chanyeol, accidentally Jongdae was doing his shift and they recognised each other instantly. 

So yeah, indirectly through them two Baek and Jongdae got to meet again. 

 

“Oh gosh... but still.. Baek.. you know Kyungsoo hyung.. he’s about to get married right..?! Like proper marriage soon, you know??!!”

 

“Tsk..  it’s their personal’s business Jongdae. We have nothing to say and we couldn’t interfere too so don’t worry about that too much please” Baekhyun chuckles while Jongdae’s face still shows a lot of shocks in there

 

“If it is their personal matter then why do you come here just to stalk them like crazy? Ck.”

 

“Hey,, I’m not stalking. It’s called seeking for gossip, you know. Juicy gossips!!” Baekhyun quickly defends himself, making Jongdae can’t help but laugh upon listening to his friend’s reply. 

 

Beside doing important thing on his break day, it’s amusing to see Baekhyun come over just for this kind of silly thing. 

 

“Yea, gossips. Gossiping about our dear bosses it is”

 

“Damn right”

 

 

——

 

On the same day, at the other part of Seoul, there is Kim Jongin who’s frowning, grunting in annoyance upon staring at his phone, back and forth checking Kyungsoo’s insta account every five minutes or so. 

 

Earlier today, Jongin’s mood wasn’t as messed up as this. His day runs like usual, left his apartment for work, finishes some work and work, until.. he feel bored and decides to randomly stalk some people on instagram to relieve some stress. 

 

Stumbling upon Do Kyungsoo’s account which he first stalked few days ago; Jongin saw his fiance’s insta stories that shows the petite man’s current where about, and with who about right now. 

 

Yeap, on Kyungsoo’s insta as well, he uploaded some snaps (not as many as Chanyeol’s) and with Jongin’s eagle eyes, he can blurry see a tall guy figure who present on each and every Kyungsoo’s snaps. 

 

After seeing the stories much longer that he usually other people’s photos, Jongin’s thought starts running wild. 

 

Before this, there has been rumors going around about his fiance, Kyungsoo, dating another guy for quite a while, but before this, Jongin never give a about those kind stuffs. 

 

He and Kyungsoo are two people forced to be fiance and soon to be married. Just like any other cliche stories of arranged marriage between chaebols, yeap unluckily both him and Kyungsoo are trapped in this kind of too this year.

 

They -him and Kyungsoo are the same age, 30 years old and both seemed to be single in front of their respective families, so the idea came out of nowhere with neither both sides could deny. 

 

Jongin has met the shorter man several times -can be counted by hands actually, but overall he has just neutral impression about Kyungsoo, until two weeks ago. 

 

Around two weeks ago the younger heir of Do hotelier asked to meet to construct a contract between them two; the private contract contain some rules to be applied during their marriage and a preposition to “last” their marriage for 2 years before filing for divorce, -yeap divorce so they can live a normal lives again like before . 

 

To be completely honest, Jongin was really taken aback when Kyungsoo came personally to him just for that. A guy whom he barely know, who will be his legitimate husband in a month came asking for divorce in two years through paper. That hurt Jongin’s inner pride deeply, just he didn’t show it. 

 

 

Despite not being 100% agree to the preposition he is offered with (he’s just not in his right mind at that time), Jongin didn’t reject the idea and sign the contract right away; Simply agree to Kyungsoo’s idea for the thought “if he doesn’t want to stay with me then I will let him go.

I would never hold someone that I barely know, especially before the ‘real’ thing even starts” so Jongin take the matter lightly, ignoring the slight clench inside his heart that day.

 

 

However, now, back to the present time, when he finds out that his dear fiance... the person he will marry in two weeks is currently abroad going out with another guy; making the rumor to be actually true.. Now Jongin or Kim Kai is close to explode. 

 

Kai nearly break the phone in his grasp due to suppressed anger swelling from the inside. He checks the post back and forth, and roll his eyes in disbelief seeing a vixen close to him like this. 

 

That man.. that seemingly very innocent man. The one who’s handpicked by his parents to be his rightful husband. Turns out to be a cheater like this. How dare he...

 

All kind of rant and bad words gather in Jongin’s head now. On one side he doesn’t want to care about what Kyungsoo did and does, as he knew nothing about him as well. But on the other side Jongin feels like he cannot leave it just like that too. 

 

Yes they have a contract not to intervene in each other’s personal lives. Yes it is normal for him to have a boyfriend as well cause Jongin himself have Soojung too. And yes it should be none of his business even when Kyungsoo is doing some s out there as long as it didn’t bother their wedding plans but HEY 

 

Somehow he is still annoyed! Deep down Jongin is angry... until he cannot concentrate working, so he pick up his phone and dial Soojung’s number after an hour or so

 

 

“Yeoboseyo”

 

“Yeoboseyo! Oppa!” A sweet voice can be heard from the other line. It’s Soojung, Jongin’s girlfriend for about 10 months.

 

“Hey are you free this week?”

Asks Jongin straightforwardly 

 

“Eumm.. yess.. kinda. Wae oppa?”

 

“Shall we go to Bangkok tomorrow? Until Sunday?”

 

Jongin open the calendar on pc checking all his upcoming schedule, making sure that none is highly urgent a.k.a. can all be delayed til the upcoming week

 

“Omo!! Are you serious oppa?? For reall???”

 

Jongin chuckles, feel proud of himself by making the girl feeling so excited like this

 

“Yea; do you want to?”

 

“Of Course I want to!! Omo omo you’re not kidding right oppa??? So we are going tomorrow for real?”

 

“Yea.. my assistant will book the ticket asap and he will inform you once all are confirmed. Just prepare your things and begin packing from now okay?!” He smiles, obviously trying to be sweet to his girlfriend 

 

“Yeyyy! Okayy!! I’ll go to the mall right now and buy so many summer dresses! Omg I’m soo excited!!!”

 

Soojung squeals in excitement and she seems to be moving around now

 

“Haha okay then. See you tomorrow. I’ll text you again soon okay. Bye darling”

 

“Bye hun... thanks for such sweet surprise”

 

“No problem” Jongin said easily before hanging up the phone.

 

 

After giving instruction to his assistant to find tickets, accommodations in Bangkok, and reschedule all his meetings and works to next week, finally Jongin can smile in satisfaction, because now he has his holiday as well.

 

 

See, it’s not only you who can have a holiday before the wedding, Do Kyungsoo.

Jongin smirk while both hands clenching hard into his phone

 

 —-

 

In Singapore 7pm at Dolce Vita restaurant 

 

 

Two Korean men sitting face to face by the window seat. Kyungsoo and Chanyeol are currently enjoying their appetizers as part of a very much needed three course dinner after long walk they just had today.

 

Today is the last day of Chanyeol and Kyung’s vacation/business trip to Singapore. Since Monday them two have wandered around the island visited museums, checked some locations, attended several meetings and most importantly, had so much fun traveling in pair. 

 

This trip for Kyungsoo is actually quite sudden or unplanned. More than two weeks ago Chanyeol has conveyed his plan about visiting Singapore to Kyungsoo, however not until last Wednesday though, was Kyungsoo convinced to join the trip.

 

The reason why Chanyeol needs to visit Singapore is because he planned to open the coffee shop’s first branch abroad in that country. His presence is required to check the locations, made several major decisions, and met the key people there; and hence he asked for Kyung’s accompany as well. 

 

It might sounds crazy for a man like Kyungsoo: who’s bound to marry someone else in less than one month to freely travel abroad with another guy. But then after thinking about it again, Kyung has come to conclusion that this might not a too bad idea after all. 

 

Since the beginning of the year, Kyungsoo has received insane pressures from his family because of the sudden engagement slash wedding rush this coming August. 

 

Without anyone knowing, he experienced some stages of lonely mild depression during the past few months; which is tough, but luckily Kyungsoo has passed it all. 

 

What drives the young man into so much pressures are, first of all, the idea of getting married with a stranger which is clearly not pleasant at all. Plus with the other issues and past problems that occur makes thing become nearly uncontrollable for Kyungsoo if Chanyeol didn’t step up to support him. 

 

Yeap, Park Chanyeol is indeed a very iconic person who has stayed in Kyungsoo’s life for quite a while. The ‘official’ status between them two ranges from friends, to boyfriend, to lover, to ex, to best friend again. Well, after 5/6 years knowing each other so well, it could be said now Kyungsoo and Chanyeol have come to a stage where status or what people can call them is not as important anymore.

 

They loved each other, yes. Do they still love each other? Yes. But at the same time, both are adults who have learnt to swallow the reality in a hard way.  They are not teenagers, they are not people with no family, and both have their own dreams to be achieved. 

 

To put it simply, Kyungsoo and Chanyeol had a very rough history of romantic relationship because Kyungsoo’s family never except the latter. 

But, again, Kyungsoo can’t deny that his ex had helped him a lot through some tough times, so now, when he asked Kyungsoo to join him to Singapore; Kyungsoo decided to accept as a favor to Chanyeol, and at the same time taking this trip as a treat for himself as well. 

 

 

——

 

 

“Have you shown him the contract?” Asks Chanyeol while cutting his steak, decided to initiate a talk 

 

“Yea”

 

“He had signed it? I mean, he agreed?”

 

“Yep. Quite easily” answers Kyungsoo immediately after chewing his food

 

“That’s great” Chanyeol concludes 

 

 

Tonight the atmosphere is quite damn awkward between the two. But don’t get them wrong, it wasn’t even near to this in previous days. 

 

Before, since Monday, Chanyeol and Kyungsoo was their usual selves, just like close friends with one simple agreement: to forget about Kyung’s upcoming marriage for a while.

 

But now. Tonight. Their act has come to the end. 

It’s time to go back to reality and switching back isn’t as easy as it’s said. 

 

 

“So the taxi for tomorrow is all set?” 

 

“Yeap. 8am right” 

 

Chanyeol nods

 

“The concierge staffs are really kind. This restaurant that they recommend is really good” 

 

Chanyeol nods again agreeing to what Kyungsoo just said. 

 

 

The place they are currently in is pretty nice indeed. A decent, one amongst many michelin restaurants in Singapore. The foods are great and the service is nice as well, giving them much privacy to talk privately. 

 

 

“Your fiance is in Bangkok with his girlfriend now”

In the middle of their meal break, suddenly Chanyeol suddenly pull out a not so needed information to Kyungsoo to break the ice between them. 

 

“I know” Says Kyungsoo coldly 

 

“Do you think it’s a coincidence? That he travels when we are traveling as well?

 

Chanyeol waits for a reply, he hopes for one sentence even just the shortest one, but yet Kyungsoo doesn’t say a word. 

 

Only when he sees the change in Kyungsoo’s face Chanyeol notice the mistake he just made.

 

“Hey, I’m sorry.. I’m sorry Kyung. You don’t have to answer that. It’s alright..”

 

Upon reflex Chanyeol reaches for the other’s hand and give him a firm reassuring squeeze. He is deeply sorry for how he acted just now

 

“That’s okay Yeol. It’s just... I don’t know.. I don’t have the answer. Sorry.”

 

Kyungsoo’s facial expression become darker as he look down staring at the half empty table; while Chanyeol remain being very apologetic to the younger

 

“Nah, I’m the one who should be sorry Kyung. Just.. just forget it okay. Forget that I ever said a thing”

 

Few seconds later Kyungsoo nods.

 

Chanyeol can only curse himself inwardly for asking such rude question to the person he loves. Initially he brings this issue into their table to make Kyungsoo angry or upset. Chanyeol has been greedy to get the latter’s love for himself, which makes him forget about the invisible tension between Kyungsoo and Jongin that is still there. 

 

How could I become so insensitive like this. Ck. Yeol softly curse himself.

 

 

“Anyway... I... I hope you have made up your mind about the upcoming franchises Yeol”

Kyungsoo softly speak again when their dessert has just arrived. 

 

 

“Euhm.. yea, of course! All the meetings and your advice had helped a lot. thankyou. Kyungsoo” says Chanyeol with a sincere heart.

 

Just repeating that name, in fact already made his heart swell. He likes that name, he loves that name. Name of a person Chanyeol treasure very much. 

 

“Yeol, I need to tell..”

 

This is it. 

 

“Please talk”

 

 

“I... I don’t want this thing between us to continue once I am married”

 

That’s it. One sentence that breaks Chanyeol’s heart into pieces.

 

Kyungsoo quivers a bit before continue. He knows it’s not easy but he has made a decision to tell.

 

“I know that we are not lover.. or boyfriend.. or anything. But I just want to make it clear that...”

 

“I love you. Kyungsoo.” Chanyeol suddenly cut him off without being asked.

 

Kyungsoo’s thin lips become ten times drier than before all of the sudden; he finds it hard to speak but he has to. He has to end this now.

 

“I know. And I love you too Chanyeol”

 

That’s the truth

 

“But we have talked about this back and forth right?”

 

Kyungsoo’s voice starts to tremble

 

“Before, this was just a nightmare for you and me, but now it is here. 

We are here Yeol, and I cannot escape it”

 

He takes a deep breath before continues. Chanyeol still freeze in silent, listening attentively as ever.

 

“I don’t want you to suffer Park Chanyeol, so let’s end this all. I’ll try to forget you from now on and I’ll be happy if you do the same.

But please, please promise one thing, just don’t, do not interfere in my marriage, okay? Do not care about me anymore;I’ll be fine with him. So please. Don’t torture yourself by loving me, Chanyeol.”

 

Without realizing at the very same moment,  the first drop of tears escaped from that doe eyes; Kyungsoo’s beautiful eyes.