Breaking Point

Lie | p.jm

In the end, school actually went fairly well today. After I sat next to Baekhyun during gym, we got along well, we shared two periods and, I invited him to our table.

Then, of course, Jungkook came to harass me, as usual, but I just ignored him until he felt stupid and ran off, disappearing somewhere.

Taehyung, Namjoon and I all shared Language arts, and I shared chemistry with Namjoon, and calculus with Tae.

At the moment, I was looking over my writing assignment that was due on Monday. The teacher said this week she simply wanted us to express ourselves, she explained that she would be sending the paper to a national writing competition and that it could be about anything as long the word count is over 250. The winner would get to read their poem in front of a vast crowd in the center of Seoul. I was so excited for this, I loved writing poems, and when I wrote them I felt like I could let my inner self flow without being judged.

I tucked the assignment away and pulled out my math homework, answered a couple questions, then got up to change my clothes, only to come back and finish everything besides my writing project, I decided I would do that over the weekend after receiving some inspiration.

I opened the door to my house and walked down the stairs jogging over to my bike and began to pedal.

This time of day really was beautiful. The sun was just beginning to set, so the sky was painted in a beautiful array of warm colors, there was a slight breeze and the leaves on the trees rustled gently as I rode down the sidewalk sparkling from the reflection of the dusk sun. Some of the tall buildings glittered and glinted off the bright light and it was all just so serene and beautiful, that’s what I loved about riding my bike with my earbuds. It felt like even if I had a hectic day I could just take some time and relax.

I didn’t really have enough money to eat dinner tonight but, it was okay I was used to it. I might have to pick up a second job though, maybe I’ll start babysitting on weekends.

Today I was just on time to work and as usual, I greeted the two boys who were almost always there before me. Then I headed to the back to start making more pastries.

The aroma of the delicious sweets was overwhelming today becuase of my empty stomach and, I worked so hard to try not and eat anything.

“You’re watching those cookies like they’re gonna run away,” Namjoon says with a laugh.

I snap of my thoughts and smile. No one knew how hard it was for me to make money, not even Jimin, I knew that if I told Jimin he would try and get me to live with him, and I wasn’t the kind of girl who felt no guilt in up other people’s money.

“Are you okay?” he asks suddenly sincere.

“Oh, um yeah.” I say probably sounding unsure.

“Okay. But if you need to talk about anything I’m always here.” Namjoon says warmly.

“Thanks,” I say as I hug him. He always seemed to know just the right thing to say. He was surprised at first but then, wrapped his arms around me as well.

It was at that moment my phone began to ring, halting the sweet moment. I checked the caller ID.

It was my landlord, why was she calling?

“Sorry Joonie, I have to take this.”

“Yeah, that’s okay.” He says, wait, was he blushing?

I sped out the café and answered the call the moment I stepped out.

“Hello?”

“Hi, Y/N, are busy right now dear?” she asks, sounding kind of urgent.

I look back at the café, “Um, yes ma’am, but if you would like to meet, I’m free on Saturday.”

 She inhales deeply before continuing, “Dear this is serious.”

I think for a nervous second before answering, “Can you come to the café on (street name)? It’s where I work, I think it would be okay to talk for a little while.”

“I’ll be there in half an hour.” She says before she hangs up.

What was going on?

“What was that about?” Taehyung asks as I come back in, I turn to take an order then answer afterward.

“I actually have no idea, but it was my landlord and now she’s coming to the café to meet me out of the blue. I’m worried.” I say anxiety obviously surfacing in my voice.

“Don’t be, whatever it is you’ll be fine.” My nod is slight as I make an expresso then turn to the counter to call the customer’s name.

Just as my landlord, Mrs. Choi had promised she arrived within a half hour, I brought a coffee for her as I sat.

“Hello, Mrs. Choi,” I greet warmly.

“Hello Y/N,” she says with a sympathetic smile that made me even more nervous. She took a deep breath before she said anything else. “Y/N, I’m afraid there are these rich landowners, and they're tearing down the apartment in a week, I asked why it was so sudden and if they could give me more time but, they refused I’m so sorry dear.” She says softly.

“W-what do you mean?” I asked, already knowing the answer.

“You have to move out.” She says softly, she looks down as if she was ashamed and couldn't even look at me.

“What's the date?” I asked my bottom lip unconsciously quivering.

“Monday.”

I tried not to cry I really did but I couldn’t help it. I barely had enough money to eat and now I was being asked to find a new apartment and move out in seven days?

“I’m so sorry.” She repeats.

I didn’t know what to do, it was just struggle after struggle. First, my parents die then, I moved into my aunt's house, later that year I was given a choice to either move out my abusive aunt's home or go to the orphanage. When I started living by myself I began to eat almost nothing even with my job, I was only getting two to four hours of sleep, and every day I would go to school and get beat by Haeun and her group of fake es, not once did I complain.

But this? This was my breaking point, so I ran.

I kept running, I didn’t care if people would stare or judge, and I didn’t know where my legs were taking me, but none of that mattered. I just wanted to get out of everything, and so that’s what I did, I just ran away from my problems. I wasn’t facing them.

I was such a coward.

By the time I was back in my right mind I had no idea where I was, it was pitch black and I think I was running for a couple of hours. I sat down on a near bench and tried to stop crying but, it wouldn’t work. I looked at all the missed calls I had received from Taehyung and Namjoon.

I unlocked my phone and called Jimin’s number.

He picked up quickly.

“Hey Y/N!” he says his voice cheery.

“J-Jimin, I don’t know w-where I-I am and I-,” I just stop speaking and sob, unable to do much else.

“Calm down Y/N, I’m coming just send me your location.” He says, his voice full of worry.

“O-okay,” I say through hiccups as I send my whereabouts.

“How did you get all the way out there Y/N?” He asks sounding panicked as you hear him opening his car door.

I just cried in response.

“Don’t worry I’m coming.”

A/N: What do you guys think of this chapter, I know you can't comment on my story... yet but, you can just think it.

Also I know for a lot of you it isn't christmas anymore but, Merry Christmas guys! See you in the next chapter!