Chapter Five

Idol

Irene was disappointed to hear that Seulgi wasn't with her. But Joy and Yeri kept arguing and cracking jokes that Irene wasn't too sad at Seulgi not being with her. Suddenly, the mood turned around.
​​​​​​​         "I can't believe Seulgi ditched you!" Yeri exclaimed. Joy nodded. "She's a horrible friend! Honestly...." Irene frowned.
​​​​​​​​​​​​​​         "She's not... really... I'm sure that she'll come back with Wend--"
​​​​​​​​​​​​​​         The door opened and Wendy was seen. She walked into the nurse's office and frowned. "She didn't come." Irene's heart sank. "She's going to Jisoo's party today," Wendy said, her face darkening. Irene's eyes widened.
​​​​​​​​​​​​​​         "You mean... Kim Jisoo?!" Irene asked, worried. Anger started to rumble within her. "That ing idiot?!" Irene asked, more angry. Wendy was shocked at her. "Y-yes! Your ex-best friend... Kim Jisoo...."
​​​​​​​​​​​​​​         Irene growled. Yeri and Joy exchanged glances. "What happened between them?" Joy asked. Irene sighed. Wendy looked at Irene for permission and Irene nodded. Wendy sighed nervously. "Jisoo stole Irene's boyfriend from her. That's all." Yeri gasped. 
​​​​​​​​​​​​​​         "Th-that's horrible!" Yeri said, worried for her unnie.
​​​​​​​​​​​​​​         Irene nodded, disappointed that Seulgi chose Jisoo instead of her. Wendy's heart didn't race at seeing Seulgi anymore. She thought that she had truly seen Seulgi. "She's stupid!" Wendy shouted, angry at Seulgi. Yeri held Irene's hand. "It's okay, Irene. We'll sleep with you. The nurse gave us permission." Irene smiled. "Thanks, you guys," Irene thanked them.
​​​​​​​​​​​​​​         The three of them shook their heads. "It's fine. Don't thank us," Wendy said. And they all laughed together.

 

*****

Seulgi's heart sank. Jisoo raised an eyebrow. "Are you ready?" she asked impatiently. Seulgi looked at Jisoo and nodded. They both left the school building and entered Jisoo's car.
​​​​​​​​​​​​​​         Watching Joy, Yeri, Wendy, and Irene laugh together made Seulgi feel sick. Maybe Irene was better off without Seulgi. Jisoo ordered for her driver to drive to her house. Seulgi wanted real friends. She always told bullies at her old school to stop bullying others. She always told mean boys and girls that playing others is bad. Yet that's basically what she's doing right now. Playing her friends. Well, she doesn't even know if the others consider her as a friend anymore.
​​​​​​​​​​​​​​         "Are you okay, Seulgi?" Jisoo asked. Seulgi smiled her Jisoo, hoping that Jisoo didn't catch her looking depressed. "I am. I'm just worried about the party." Jisoo laughed. Seulgi suddenly felt at peace. Jisoo just... felt so comfortable to be around. "It's alright, I'll protect you from those motherers who flirt with you." Seulgi's eyes lit up. 
​​​​​​​​​​​​​​         Maybe she didn't need Irene or the rest of her friends. After all, Irene was popular too, wasn't she? Seulgi was happy to choose Jisoo. She just didn't know that she chose the wrong person.

*****

Seulgi felt content. Despite all the smoking and drinking, she felt content. Happy. Jisoo was always telling people who flirt with her to " off" and she always included Seulgi.
​​​​​​​​​​​​​​         Jisoo always complimented Seulgi and praised her, causing others to do the same. Seulgi would tell them stories about her and they would praise her, feel empathetic, or just laugh. And Jisoo's face was making Seulgi's heart melt. Jisoo's laugh was making Seulgi's heart flutter. Jisoo's personality and kindess was making Seulgi's heart race.
​​​​​​​​​​​​​​         "Do you guys know Bae Irene?" a girl asked at their table. Seulgi froze. They were in Jisoo's backyard. There was a pool and a volleyball net and eveerything. And Seulgi was sitting at a table with Jisoo and some other girls. "Oh, her? She's a ! You know she stole your man, Jisoo?" another girl replied. Jisoo rolled her eyees. "Right! I can't believe that Jeon Jungkook fell for her! She's too old for him anyway!" Jisoo added, laughing about Irene.
​​​​​​​​​​​​​​         Seulgi was frozen. Irene? Stole Jisoo's boyfriend? Seulgi started drinking her wine. The other girls gasped and Jisoo was quite surprised herself. "My, my, Seulgi. Not a heavy drinker, are you?" Jisoo asked, sounding seductive. Seulgi's eye vision was blurry and her ears felt clogged. Jisoo wrapped her arm around Seulgi and breathed on her neck.
​​​​​​​​​​​​​​         "I have to go....," Seulgi said, trying to stand up. Jisoo grabbed her wrist and they connected lips. Seulgi's eyes widened while Jisoo's were closed. Seulgi felt terrified. Jisoo had stolen her first kiss. And Seulgi meant for it to be for Irene. Seulgi had never ed up so bad in her life.
​​​​​​​​​​​​​​         "I have to go..... Jisoo...," Seulgi said, frustrated. Seulgi pushed Jisoo away and ran away from Jisoo's house. She doesn't even know where she is. Seulgi started running towards a direction while crying. Jisoo had stolen her first kiss..... but did Irene really steal Jisoo's boyfriend? Even so, Irene feels like she's changed. Seulgi accepts her. She forgives her. But not Jisoo. How could Jisoo play her like this?
​​​​​​​​​​​​​​         She should've chosen Irene. Suddenly, she bumps into someone. Seulgi falls on the ground. "Seulgi?" a voice asked. Seulgi opened her eyes and saw Joy. Yeri was standing up and Wendy was beside her. She had bumped into Joy, Yeri, and Wendy. "Oh . Guys, I'm sorry! I seriously love Irene you guys know that right?" Seulgi asked, almost pleading.
​​​​​​​​​​​​​​         They were in a neighborhood, but it was dark and the quad group didn't see anything. "......." The others were silent. "Irene is hurt," Wendy said. Seulgi's eyes widened. "She barely knows you. But she's hurt." Seulgi's heart started to crack.
​​​​​​​​​​​​​​         "Be thankful she even considers a friend. Be thankful she still considers you a friend," Joy snapped at Seulgi. Seulgi's heart started cracking more. "At least your amulet isn't cracking, idiot!" Wendy snapped, angry. Yeri was afraid, being the youngest. 
​​​​​​​​​​​​​​         "Let's just go, guys," Yeri said. Wendy and Joy looked very furious and Seulgi felt like trash. She felt rejected. "I'M SORRY!" Seulgi shouted. Wendy stopped. Joy and Yeri were surprised. "You're trash," Wendy insulted. Seulgi felt tears rolling down her cheeks.
​​​​​​​​​​​​​​         "Take this." Wendy handed Seulgi a note and keys. "Keys to Irene's dorm," Wendy explained. Wendy then left with the two youngsters and the trio disappeared. Seulgi's lip trembled and she broke down on the street.

*****

Seulgi was staring with meaningful eyes on Irene's couch at the ceiling. She was too prideful. She should've went to Irene sooner. She should've rejected Jisoo. Should. Seulgi's heart ached. She was sobbing. 
​​​​​​​​​​​​​​         She'll apologize to Irene tomorrow. She hopes that she won't be too late.

*****

Seulgi raced into the school gates and into the building. She ran past the lockers and ran to the infirmary. She bursted into the nurse's office to be shocked. Irene wasn't there. Seulgi was frozen. "Um, ma'am? Are you alright?" the nurse asked. Seulgi blinked, holding back her tears.
​​​​​​​​​​​​​​         "... Where's Irene?" Seulgi asked. The nurse looked at her clipboard. "Oh! Right! She was sent to her parents' house," the nurse replied. Seulgi's heart broke. "Where? Where is her parents' house?!" Seulgi asked, shouting now.
​​​​​​​​​​​​​​         "Um.... excuse me Seulgi but.... they're rich and they live about 20 miles from here," the nurse explained. Seulgi fell to her knees. 
​​​​​​​​​​​​​​         "... Are you okay...?" the nurse asked. Seulgi shook her head. The nurse smiled. "I'm Ms. Im. I think I know how you feel."

"Honestly, you ed up big time," Ms. Im said. She covered . "Can I swear in front of you?" Ms. Im asked. Seulgi smiled slightly and nodded. 
​​​​​​​​​​​​​​         "I don't want to be dissing Jisoo... since she's rich too, but have you heard the rumors about her?" Ms. Im asked. Seulgi looked up and shook her head. Ms. Im sighed. "Well, I'll tell you everything I know."
​​​​​​​​​​​​​​         "Jisoo and Irene were best friends. Inseparable. Everytime Jisoo was injured or sick, Irene would buy flowers and stay with Jisoo. Everytime Irene was injured or sick, Jisoo would make cards and stay with Irene. They were a wonderful pair. Then, Irene got a boyfriend named Jeon Jungkook, 13 years old. She was quite old for him but love is blinding. One day, Jisoo kissed him or whatever and stole him from Irene. Irene was angry and dumped Jungkook and cut off ties with Jisoo. She was angry at Jungkook for falling for Jisoo so easily because she thought they were really in love. And of course she would be mad at Jisoo. Jisoo stole the love of Irene's life from her," Ms. Im concluded. 
​​​​​​​​​​​​​​         "And that's all I know!" she concluded. Seulgi was shocked. She was too busy absorbing all the information. "I really need to talk to Irene...," Seulgi pleaded. "Please!" Ms. Im frowned and furrowed her eyebrows. 
​​​​​​​​​​​​​​         "Excuse me, er..."
​​​​​​​​​​​​​​         "Kang Seulgi!"
​​​​​​​​​​​​​​         "Yeah um, Ms. Kang... she won't be coming back in a week."
Seulgi's heart sank even more. "Okay. Okay. I see." Seulgi frowned and bit her lip.
​​​​​​​​​​​​​​         "I can survive until then...."