6.

Forget Me Not

The look on Johnny's face when Haechan wasn't in his room was a look of complete panic.He was only seconds away on calling the police before Mark reasoned with him that maybe they should go look for him first before rushing into anything.Plus,they couldn't file a missing persons report if Haechan hasn't even been gone 24 hours.Mark suggested they go search around the neighborhood.If Haechan hasn't been out long then there's a chance he's still nearby.Johnny reluctantly agreed,the two exchange numbers so they can call if one of them finds him.

 

Mark stepped out of the house with Johnny beside him. The sky was getting darker, the sun was almost down with only streaks of soft rays painting the sky.They seperated to quicken the search. Both of them hoped they would find the boy before it gets dark.

 

They didn't.

The sky was now completely dark. The moon and the streetlights were the only thing illuminating Mark's path as he went on with his search.

 

The neighbourhood was quiet.Not a single soul was there.All Mark could hear were his footsteps on the gravel.He realised this was how people get kidnapped in crime movies. Alone and in the dark.

 

A chilly wind blew and made Mark shiver in his school blazer.He then imagined Haechan in this situation, walking in the cold night alone while being sick.If only he didn't lose his temper at the younger then this wouldn't even happen.Mark shook the thoughts away, fastening his pace.He prays for the other's safety as he focused back on his search.

 

Without realising it,Mark had been following a certain path.He didn't give any thought into it, his mind only worrying about Haechan,until he can see the playground in his view.

'huh,' he thought, 'I didn't even realise I was going here...Wait,what's that?'

Mark squinted his eyes through the dark.There was a figure on one of the swings. No, wait.Two figures. One of them was standing in front of the one on the swing.Curious,Mark silently moved closer to them.They appear to be talking.

"What's a pretty boy like you doing here alone?",said the one standing,his deep voice gave Mark shivers.

"Don't come closer if you don't want a beating", the one on the swing sounded daring.

Mark froze.That's Haechan's voice.

 

Sure enough,Mark could finally make out the figures. The one standing was tall,but his face was unfamiliar to Mark.On the other hand, the second figure was someone Mark was relieved to see.It was Haechan. '​​​​​​Thank God, he's okay'

 

Well,as okay as he can be with a persistent stranger bugging him.

"Hey!",he shouted at the man who was about to take one more step nearing the younger. The stranger and Haechan turned towards him,both unaware of his presence until now.

Mark continued, "You heard him.Back off"

The man looked unamused but Mark can see the scared look in his eyes when Mark went to stand in front of him,positioning himself between the two.

"And who are you?", the man challenged him but Mark wasn't gonna back down.

"I'm the one who's going to beat you mercilessly if you dare lay a finger on him",Mark purposely made his voice lower and quieter to scare the man.It looks like it work as the man slowly back away and turned around to leave after spitting on the ground.

Mark waited until the stranger was far enough until he's unnoticeable before turning around to face the boy on the swing. "Are you okay?", he asked softly, as if afraid the other would run away from him.

Haechan didn't look at him,eyes fixed on his own lap as he nodded, "Thanks",he answered meekly.

 

It was silent for a few seconds.Mark let out a long sigh and sat on the swing beside Haechan's.

"Haechan?"

The younger raised his head to look at Mark beside him.

"I'm sorry.For yelling at you and kicking you out that time.That was wrong of me to do"

A small smile graced the younger's lips, "It's okay.I'm sorry too.I shouldn't have gone through your stuff without permission."

Mark smiled.He felt like the load on his shoulders were lifted.He felt better,now that he knows he's being forgiven.

"You know you shouldn't sneak out of the house like that.Johnny looked like he almost had a heart attack",Mark tries to lighten the mood.

The younger pouted.Mark found the action endearing.

"But I wanted some fresh air.You have no idea how boring it was being cooped up inside all day.And Johnny won't let me out until I'm completely healthy again even though I told him I'm feeling better now"

"Speaking of Johnny,why is he the only one home? Where's your parents?"

Haechan's eyes went downcast, "They died in a car accident".

"Oh...I'm sorry I asked",Mark cursed himself in his head. The other shook his head, "It's fine.I don't remember them anyway".

"Huh?"

At this point, Haechan thinks he should tell him.And he did, "I was seven when it happened. I don't really remember what exactly happened but I think I hit my head too hard that I passed out. The next thing I know,I woke up at a hospital and after I failed to recall the last events they told me I have amnesia",he squeezed his eyes shut, feeling the hot tears.He heard Mark felt a hand was linked to his.He holds it tight and continued, "It was frustrating, not being able to remember my past.Hell,I couldn't even remember my own name. I was alone for a while.Made some friends but they were temporary.It was only when I met Johnny hyung there that it felt more like home.He took me back with him and then we moved back to Korea"

The younger gazed at their linked hands.Mark's thumb was rubbing comforting circles on the back of his hand.He smiled softly.

Mark on the other hand,was extremely sorry for the younger.All he could do was comfort him.While Haechan's eyes were focused on their hands,Mark was taking in the boy's features.He admired how the moonlight shining on Haechan's skin made it look as it was glistening.His eyes trailed on the eyelashes,to the cute small nose, the plump cheeks and lastly to the pink lips.

 

Mark felt intrigued.Since when had those lips look so welcoming?

He found himself moving closer to the younger, his eyes never leaving from those lips.Haechan noticed the older's action.His eyes widened in surprise but didn't make any effort to move.Mark was only five inches apart from Haechan,both of their hearts thumping loudly.

 

But then they heard a loud ringtone.It was Mark's phone.

The two jerked apart simultaneously,both in shock of what just happened.Mark quickly collected himself,cleared his throat and answered the call.

"Hello? Oh, Johnny! Yeah,I found him. We'll head back soon.Bye",and hung up.

He turned to Haechan,who was scratching his head in embarrassment.

"We should go now. Johnny's getting worried"

 

.....

 

Right when they stepped into the house, Johnny's large arms pulled Haechan to his chest.But it was only for a few seconds before he let his brother go with an angry look on his face and gave a lecture about what could've happened to Haechan if Mark hadn't found him. The younger had no choice but to listen to Johnny's rambling with his head hung low to show that he's guilty.

Mark watches silently on the sidelines. The younger's eyes shift to Mark and gave him a tiny smile.Mark replied with a smile of his own.

They had reconciled.

 

Author's note: Here's another update.So,WayV just debuted.A bit sad that they're just singing 127 songs but oh well it's still great.And btw I'm starting to fall for Hendery now so that's new.