5.

Forget Me Not

It was silent when Mark walked to school alone.He depended on his legs to naturally bring him to school while his head was filled with thoughts about a certain boy. The boy who Mark was drifting closer to. The boy who Mark labelled as a friend.It hasn't even been 1 month and Mark somehow managed to possibly ruined their newly made friendship.

 

'Great job, '

 

He didn't even stopped when he passed Haechan's house.He should give him some space. Besides,Mark still doesn't know how he's gonna explain himself without mentioning what's in the photo.

 

Mark arrived early to school that day and he planned on going to Haechan's class to check up on him.He was going to do just that when an arm rests itself around his shoulders.It was Jaemin.And he had his signature sweet smile on his face."Good morning,Markie.You look different today"

 

"My hair is a mess and my uniform is wrinkled",he stated,grumpily.

 

"I was gonna say your socks aren't matched but yeah I guess you're also right",a wide stupid grin plastered on his face.

 

Mark released a groan,not really in the mood for Jaemin's sassy remarks.He walked ahead but Jaemin quickly caught up with him. The pink haired boy seemed to caught onto Mark's bad mood as his grin was replaced with an apologetic smile. "Something troubling you? Does it have anything to do with Haechan?"

 

Mark whipped his head to the boy,eyes widened, "How did you know?"

 

"Maybe because Haechan wasn't with you when you came to school",he stated.For these past few weeks Mark and Haechan have been really getting close. The younger, particularly seems to follow Mark everywhere like a little puppy.It looked so cute in Jaemin's eyes which is why it worried him when Mark came to school alone.

 

"Oh",was the only answer Mark could give.A sad frown appeared on his lips.

 

"You wanna tell me what's wrong?"

 

"Well,I- "

 

But Mark couldn't finish his answer before Jaemin abruptly stopped.His arm was still around Mark's shoulder, causing him to stop as well. The younger seems to be glaring at something or someone far away from them.Mark followed Jaemin's gaze until he landed upon Jeno,who looked around like he was searching for someone.He seems nervous,Mark thought.

 

Mark was going to call him before Jaemin's hand covered his mouth and quickly turned around, walking far away from Jeno with Mark in tow.He only released his hand when they were far enough that Jeno didn't notice them.Mark looked at Jaemin questioningly.Why did he do that? Why does it look like Jaemin is avoiding Jeno?

 

"Is something going on between you and Jeno?",he couldn't keep it to himself, he had to ask.

 

Jaemin sighed,his smile from earlier now replaced with an upset look. "Let's just say you're not the only one having problems"

 

.......

 

It was recess when Mark realised something is wrong with his friend.Mark sat down at the table with Jaemin. The younger was eating his lunch silently, unaware of Mark staring at him like he just grown a second head.It was only after seven minutes of Mark's staring that Jaemin looked up from his tray of food. "What?",he asked, questioningly.

 

Mark shakes his head.Maybe he shouldn't bring it up again judging from Jaemin's upset face earlier.

 

"Hey, have you seen Haechan? I didn't see him at all today", the younger asked.Mark sighed, "Me neither.Maybe he's avoiding me?"

 

Jaemin narrowed his eyes at him, "what did you do?"

 

"I kinda yelled at him when he went through my stuff.",he said sheepishly.

 

"Did he saw that photo of you and Donghyuck?", Jaemin guessed.He and Jeno were the only friends Mark made after Donghyuck left.Thus, making them the only one to know about Mark's childhood best friend.

 

"Almost.And that's where I lost it.I was too harsh on him".Mark doesn't feel like eating anymore. He lost his appetite.

 

Jaemin rubbed Mark's shoulder in sympathy.He was about to say something when they heard someone called out Jaemin's name across the cafeteria.It was Jeno. The boy made his way to their table the same time Jaemin got up from his seat.His eyes turned angry when he glared daggers at Jeno's face.

"What?",that one word sounded so cold that Mark and Jeno felt goosebumps on their skin.But obviously it affected Jeno more because the poor boy was slightly trembling. "I-uhh... I- "

 

Jaemin turned his head away with a soft "hmph" and walked away.

 

Jeno's shoulders slumped when he sat down on the now empty chair.He had an expression of a kicked puppy as he played with Jaemin's abandoned food.

 

"Are you two fighting? What happened?"

 

Jeno exhaled sadly, "It was our 3rd anniversary two days ago..."

 

"Oh, that's right! Congrats,dude",Mark remembered.

 

A tiny smile graced Jeno's lips, "Thanks.But that's why Jaemin is angry at me right now.Because I completely forgot about it..."

 

"Oh... that's bad"

 

"Yeah...I was playing at the internet cafe that day with Chenle.With no clue what day it was", every word he said stinging him as Mark quietly listened.

 

"It was when Jaemin called me about our anniversary plans that I remembered. I panicked and in that state of mind,I told him I accidently forgot about it because I was at home studying. I lied.

But then, Chenle had to scream at me that time that he ran out of ammos and wants me to back him up,I think.Jaemin heard him,has an idea where I am,and hung up.Oh god, he's probably gonna break up with me soon.",he covered his face with his hands.

 

Mark patted the boy's back in support, smiling apologetically. "If it makes you feel any better,wanna hear about my story?"

 

.....

 

Mark's losing focus.

 

Ms.Park is teaching the class about the Joseon Dynasty but all Mark could think about was his trip to Haechan's classroom during recess.

 

He was nervous when he stopped in front of the door.He tried to shake the nervousness away and opened the classroom door, ignoring how sweaty his palms feel on the handle.He scanned through the images of the students but Haechan wasn't among them.He was then told that the boy didn't come to school today.

 

Now that made Mark's stomach dropped.Did he scared the boy so bad that he didn't even want to see Mark at school? That can't be it. The guilt that's been harbouring inside him got worse, eating Mark from the inside.He then made a decision that he's going to apologize to Haechan right after school.

 

 

And that was how Mark ended up in front of the younger's house.His heart was beating rapidly and his palms were sweaty. The setting sun shone at him, casting a lean shadow of him.He released a long breath before finally mustering courage to knock on the door.

 

It took a few seconds before the door was opened, revealing a very tall man with a scary look on his face. "Can I help you?"

 

"Hello,I'm Haechan's friend from school.He didn't come to school today?"

 

The scary looking man then let out a wide smile, his eyes turning into crescents.Suddenly, the man's scary aura disappeared and a young,friendly guy replaced it. "Oh, you're Mark! Haechan talked about you a lot.And yes, he's down with a cold.I told that stubborn brat to bring an umbrella with him and he didn't listened", the guy shakes his head in exasperation.

 

Meanwhile,Mark remembered that time he kicked HarchHa out of the house, forcing the boy to walk home in the pouring rain.Guilt swam in him.He made his friend get sick.Mark swallowed the lump in his throat as he was ushered inside by the oblivious guy.

 

"Are you Haechan's brother?",he was curious.

 

"Yes,I am. I'm Johnny.Nice to meet you,Mark"

 

Mark hide his guilt by smiling.

 

"Haechan! Your friend,Mark is here!",he called upstairs.

There was no response.He probably didn't want to see Mark.Mark understands why.

Johnny called again.No response.

 

Johnny quietly went upstairs to check on the boy with Mark tagging behind. Johnny knocked on Haechan's door.After a few seconds of no response, Johnny slowly opened the door.

 

The room was messy.There were textbooks and clothes all over the floor.But what caught their attention was the empty bed and the widely opened window.

"Oh my god.", Johnny.

 

Haechan is missing.

 

Author's note: So sorry for the late update.School's been keeping me busy.Also,I'm HYPED about WayV right now!! KUN IS DEBUTING GUYS! FINALLY!!