12. (Final)

Forget Me Not

Author's note: Hi,guys.Just thought I should finish this story asap cause let's be frank,I take TOO long to update.Also, the last chapter starts back at their big fight.Oh,and it's a little long.

 

 

Mark felt himself being pushed back by the tanned boy.He staggered a bit but managed to stabilise himself.At first,he felt like he wanted to push the younger back,his swelling anger urging him to do it.Mark wanted to hurt the boy as much as he hurt Mark.

 

But then he saw Donghyuck's watery eyes and quivering lips and immediately the active volcano inside of him went dead quiet.The anger disappeared in a flash as if it was never there in the first place. Suddenly, the urge to wrap his arms around the boy hit him like a strong wave.He was about to step closer to him until the latter turned around and ran away. The older was left with his one foot stepping forward and a load of guilt as heavy as a boulder.He went on his way home with one thought,

 

 

This is my fault.

 

The sound of his footsteps on the pavement couldn't match with how loud his thoughts were.Thoughts that were all about the tanned boy that varied from 'Is he doing okay?' and 'Why did I say that to him?'.To be honest, Haechan had been inside his head the whole day.Mark finally came to the crushing thought that he likes Haechan more than just a friend and that the boy might not like him back.His stupid brain then decided that he should reject Haechan before Haechan does it which will ultimately be painful for Mark.He didn't really knew why he decided to be cruel towards the boy but he did and now he regrets every second of it.

 

His feet stopped as his house came into view but he can't bring himself to go inside and pretend this never happened.So,he did what his heart had been aching to do the whole time,turn around and run to fix the mess he made.

 

He rang the doorbell and the door was opened shortly by a startled Johnny 

"Oh,hey Mark. What's up?"

 

"Hi,I was wondering is Haechan back yet?"

 

At the name, the older frowned, "He's in his room.By the way,did something happen to him at school? He came home and suddenly started crying"

 

Mark winced. Apparently Johnny didn't know.

 

"Yeah,about that...can I see him for a bit? Just to see how he's doing?",he really hopes the younger can forgive him. 

 

Unbeknownst to both of them,Donghyuck was listening to their conversation from upstairs.But immediately after knowing Mark came to see him,he decided he didn't want to see Mark.He was still clearly angry and upset.So,he quietly went back to his room.He opened his window slowly,as to not make a sound, and jumped out.He climbed on the big tree near his window and skillfully climbed down and broke into a run that's anywhere away from Mark.

 

Meanwhile,Mark was invited into the house while Johnny called for the kid, "Donghyuck!"

 

Mark froze in his spot at the familiar name, "What?"

 

Johnny turned to him with an apologetic smile, "Oh,didn't he tell you? He's starting to remember things now",he sighed before continuing, "Poor kid, couldn't remember his own name for 12 years"

 

"His real name is ...Donghyuck?",Mark asked.Can it be?

 

"Lee Donghyuck",Johnny confirmed.

 

No way.Is Haechan really Lee Donghyuck? Why didn't he tell me this?

 

While Mark was in a silent turmoil,Johnny went upstairs to get the boy.He knocked on the door but after a few minutes of no response,he just went in.

 

"For the love of God,again?!"

 

Mark quickly went upstairs and went into the room to see what happened.Only to see a frustrated looking Johnny and an empty room.

 

But Mark's attention was not on Johnny or the fact that the owner of the room is gone,instead his vision focused on the study table or more specifically a familiar photograph laying on it. A picture he had engraved in his mind because of the countless times he stared at the same one.A picture of two boys posing together after a fun day at the amusement park.Then under it, a sentence was messily written but Mark can read it perfectly well,

 

Don't forget me and don't stop smiling

 

​​​​​​Mark's breath hitched because he's been waiting,yearning for this day to come since he was 6. The day he would see his best friend again. The day Lee Donghyuck would come back home.

 

 

After Mark managed to calm Johnny down,he took the responsibility of searching for Donghyuck. The first place he thought of searching was the playground.After all,that was where he found the younger when he sneaked out the house the first time.

 

The walk only took a few minutes.Mark can already see the playground in his vision.It was empty but upon closer viewing,he can see a lonely familiar figure sitting on the swing.He went towards the figure as quietly as he could, fearing the boy would try to run away again if he sees Mark.When he was close enough, the older could make out sniffing sounds and choked sobs.Just by hearing those heartbreaking sounds,Mark felt as if his whole world was crashing down right in front of him.It didn't help that he was the whole reason the younger was crying.

He couldn't tell how badly he wants to hold the boy close and say a thousand apologies.Even if Donghyuck couldn't reciprocate Mark's feelings, the image of the younger's blinding smile directed at him would be enough.

 

"Donghyuck?"

 

The said boy's head shot up from the ground.His eyes were red from all the crying.His nose was the same colour.His blurry eyes went wide when he realised it was Mark.

 

Mark feels a sense of déjà vu. "Can I sit here?", he said quietly, like he's approaching a scared kitten.

Donghyuck's eyes went back to normal when he realised the older came in peace.He nodded and Mark went to sit on the swing beside the boy.

It was quiet for a while,both of them relishing on the silence.It was Donghyuck who spoke first, "How did you know?"

 

"Oh,Johnny told me.And I found our picture in your room",he was ecstatic the younger was talking to him.

 

"Oh".It was quiet again.

 

"Listen,I know I said some pretty hurtful things", "they really did hurt",Donghyuck interjects, "I know, but you need to know why I did that",he gazed at the evening sky,"I was scared.When you avoided me at lunch... I thought that maybe the kiss freaked you out.Then,I figured that it's because you don't like me that way,that the feeling wasn't mutual..."

 

Donghyuck's head turned towards Mark who didn't took his eyes off the sky, the older's words startled him.

Mark tried to ignore the other's stare as he talked, "It doesn't really make sense but I figured if I don't want to get hurt from you rejecting me then I should be the one doing the rejection.I know it sounds stupid.And cowardly.I wanted to hurt you because I was ing scared of getting rejected",he laughed bitterly.

 

"Mark, it's okay",Donghyuck tried to comfort him.Mark protested, "No, it's not.I'm an idiot and a coward for making my best friend cry.I'm sorry. I get it if you don't want to be friends anym-", "Mark!",Donghyuck cuts him off,not wanting to hear him say anything more that would make him start crying again. Mark stares at him in shock and wide eyes.

 

"I'm sorry too...I didn't tell you who I am because I knew you would just treat me as a best friend.I didn't want that, you meant so much more than just a friend,Mark",a beautiful smile grew on his face.Mark was mesmerised. "What are you saying?"

Donghyuck snorted, "I'm saying I really like you too,dummy"

 

Unfortunately,Mark's dumb brain picked this moment not to process. "What? Wait... really?"

The younger rolled his eyes,mildly frustrated with how slow Mark was taking this in.To prove his point,he planted a quick peck on the older's cheek, effectively making him turn bright red.

 

"Wait,can...can you do that again? I zoned out for a minute",he said,still stunned on what happened.

 

The younger giggled and Mark can feel his legs go weak just by hearing it.It's a good thing their still sitting down.From his vision,he can see Donghyuck moved closer to his face again but instead of his cheek,he headed for Mark's lips.When their lips met,both of them completely forgot about their fight. To them,it felt as if a missing puzzle piece has been found.Mark s an arm around Donghyuck's waist and pulled him closer as Donghyuck held Mark's face with both hands.It was just like that night they first kissed,only this time both of them were sober enough to melt into the kiss.

 

 

This time, both of them did it out of love 

 

 

When they pulled apart, the swelling on their lips looked obvious.A small laugh left Donghyuck's mouth.It sounded so happy and contagious that Mark couldn't help but laugh with him. "What's so funny?",he asked in between giggles.

 

"We're both idiots, aren't we?", the younger said,still laughing.

 

Mark thought of the fight they had a couple of hours ago.It had been caused by a silly misunderstanding, and fueled with the fear of their feelings being unrequited.But in fact it wasn't unrequited at all.

 

Mark nods, "Yeah",then something came up to his mind," But you know what else is funny?"

 

"What?"

 

"You may not remember but this is actually the exact spot where we first met"

 

At this, Donghyuck's eyes widened, "No way.Really? Here?"

 

"Yup",Mark had a bittersweet smile on his face, "you cried too...and I tried to get you to stop crying".

 

"And how did you do it?", Donghyuck asked at which Mark turned towards him.Before he can ask Mark what he's doing, the older positioned his fingers on Donghyuck's stomach and started tickling.Just like twelve years ago, it made him burst into loud laughter.

 

"Okay,okay,stop!", tears of joy welled Donghyuck's eyes. The view makes the older's chest seem lighter.

 

Then out of the blue,Mark remembered something. He fished something out of his pocket. It was two strawberry flavoured lollipops. The younger's eyes brightened.Mark chuckled fondly at Donghyuck's adorable reaction and gave him one of the lollipops.

"You remembered?",Donghyuck asked.

 

Mark smiled wide, "Of course, you've been eating these a lot when we were kids,how could I not? One time, your mom got angry cause you ate these too much but you were stubborn and took these secretly"

 

Hearing this, Donghyuck stared at the cloudless sky longingly, "What was she like? Was she nice? And my dad? What was he like? God,amnesia ..."

 

Mark couldn't bare to see the younger so helpless,he stood in front of the boy and gave him his hand.Donghyuck stared at the hand and the owner quizzically.

 

"Hyuck, we've made so many good memories together. Don't even think I'm gonna let you miss out on them.So,let me help you get them back",Mark said, seriously which only made the other to smile gratefully and took Mark's awaiting hand.He stood up,not noticing how naturally their hands intertwined.

 

"Now,let's go home. Johnny's been worried sick about you."

 

As they walked, none of them said anything. Donghyuck glanced at their still intertwined hands and smiled.So,maybe he lost his memories,maybe they've done this before and he hadn't realize it but Donghyuck knows that they will be fine.​​ He will be fine. He is so sure of this just by looking at their hands. He'll be fine because he knows Mark will be there when he gets lost and in need of guidance,will be there when it becomes too much to bear,will be there holding his hand and his heart

 

 

 

Mark will be there with him,every step of the way.

 

 

(BONUS)

 

"WHAT?"

 

"Keep your voice down,Jaemin, everyone's staring. And Jeno,close your mouth,a fly would enter"

 

Jeno closed his mouth as Donghyuck instructed.

 

"Wait,are you really...Lee Donghyuck?"asked Jaemin, disbelievingly.

 

Donghyuck rolled his eyes.

 

"He is,Jaemin",it was Mark who answered.There's a look of endearment in his eyes as he gazed at Donghyuck.Jaemin saw this,"Hmm, judging from the lovesick look on you, it's probably true"

 

"HEY, I DON'T HAVE A LOVESICK LOOK",Mark tried to defend himself.Jaemin smirked, "Sure,Mark.If that's what makes you sleep at night"