1.

Forget Me Not

"Don't play too far,honey"

"Kay,mom!"

Five-year-old Mark Lee ran towards the playground where other kids around his age were playing.But as he climbed up the ladder to the slide,he saw a tiny boy sitting on the grass in front of the swing set. The boy had his knees close to his body and his head down.Curious, Mark came down from the ladder and went closer to the boy.The small boy seems to be crying,soft sobs escaping from him.

 

"Why are you crying?",Mark asked him as he stood in front of the crying boy.The said boy lifted his head to face Mark.His eyes were red from crying and snot was coming out of his nose. The boy looked younger than Mark.

 

"It hurts",he said, eyeing a scratch on his knee.Mark didn't know what to do with the scratch but the small boy looked so sad that Mark tried to comfort him.He put on his best smile and helped the boy stand up.Then he did something his mom always does when he cries.He placed his fingers on the boy's stomach and tickled him.Small giggles turned into loud laughs as Mark watched the boy's face lit up.The sunlight reflected on the boy's tanned skin made the boy look like he was glowing.Mark stop tickling him when he looked like he was already out of breath from all the laughing,his now happy face mirrored Mark's.

 

"My name is Mark.What's your name?"

 

"Hi,Mark! My name is Donghyuck! Wanna play with me?", the boy said cheerfully.

 

While they're playing,Mark found out Donghyuck was a year younger than him and that the boy was talkative.Another thing Mark found out about him was that the boy likes strawberry flavoured lollipops when he took it out of his pocket, unwrapped it and put it in his mouth while they're on the swing.

 

After a while playing,a woman's voice called Donghyuck's name, telling him their going home.

 

Donghyuck pouted, "Okay..."

 

Mark smiled at him, "It's okay.We'll play again tomorrow"

 

The younger's eyes lit up, "Promise?"

 

"Promise".

 

Mark kept his promise. The next day, he and Donghyuck played at the playground.Same goes the day after that and the day after that until the both of them couldn't tell how long they had known each other.They ended up being best friends though,with Mark being the protective one and Donghyuck being the clingy one.It's just the two of them.Mark and Donghyuck,Donghyuck and Mark.

 

1 year later

It was during Mark's 6th birthday that his family took him to an amusement park to celebrate it.His parents even invited Donghyuck with them as it was their son's request.

 

The two boys' eyes widened in excitement when they saw the rides.Everything looked so fun.They couldn't wait to try one of them.One ride caught Donghyuck's attention.The boy tugged on Mark's sleeve,"Let's ride that one",he pointed at the bumper cars.Mark nodded and they both found themselves racing towards the ride, each of them getting into a bumper car.

The loud siren sounded before the cars started moving.Mark was having fun bumping into other people on the ride when he felt someone had hit his car from the back hard.He turned around and saw Donghyuck with his tongue stuck out. It was that cheeky look on the younger's face that gave Mark a mischievous smile.He turned his car facing Donghyuck and was about to bump into him but the younger was quick to avoid it, "You can't catch me!"

 

"You're on!"

 

Mark spent the entire time trying to back at Donghyuck and the other trying to avoid his attacks that the two seemed to forget they weren't the only ones there.By the time the ride was over, the two immediately started searching for another ride with Mark's parent's accompanying them.It was then they had spotted something else.A cotton candy cart.The stares went unnoticed by Mark's dad and he smiled, "You guys want cotton candy?"

 

"Yes, please", the two chorused.

 

The two ended up with cotton candy filed stomachs when they saw the merry-go-round from afar.Donghyuck nudged his best friend's elbow, "Race you to the merry-go-round".And before Mark could process his words, the younger was already running ahead of him and into the sea of people.

 

"Hey,not fair!",he said before running after him.Mark managed to catch up with him and turned around, expected to find his parents running after them but they weren't there.

 

"Hyung, where's your mom and dad?",Donghyuck had also noticed they weren't there with them.It dawned on both of them that they were lost.The younger clung onto Mark's arm when random people had bumped into their shoulders left and right.He was also chewing on his bottom lip,a habit of his that Mark noticed he does when he's nervous or scared or both.Mark tried to comfort him, "Hey, come on.Maybe we should go find them",he said but he was actually scared himself.They started to go look around and after a few minutes walking they managed to spot Mark's parents that were looking for them.

 

"Are you two okay? Were have you been?", Mark's mother bombarded them with questions when she found them.

"We're okay,mom",assured his son.

 

The sun was setting so they decided to head home.But before that, Mark's parents decided to take a picture of the boys in front of the rollercoaster ride.Mark put an arm around Donghyuck's shoulder while the latter made a piece sign as they smiled for the camera.With that said and done, the family,plus Donghyuck, finally head home.

 

 

A few months later,Mark was greeted with sad news when Donghyuck was hanging out at Mark's house. The younger was going to move to America in a week. The two had been crying non-stop the whole week at the thought they wouldn't see each other again.

 

When the moving day came, Mark decided to give Donghyuck something to remember their friendship,a photo of them at the amusement park with words messily written at the bottom as it was done by a six year old: Don't forget me and don't stop smiling! - your best friend.

The words made Donghyuck's eyes wet so he furiously rubbed them dry.He doesn't want to cry because if he he does, he's gonna make Mark cry too. "I'll come back",he said with determination.

 

Mark stared at him hopefully, "Promise?"

 

"Promise"

 

Author's note: It's so hard trying to write what a kid would and wouldn't do.Well, I tried.