Be More Assertive

Don't Give Up On Me

Ch. 9

“Are you sure it’s nothing?” Luna asked again.

“Yes, it’s nothing okay? She’s just a classmate.” I answered her as I placed my bag down on the floor.

We are currently sitting in communications class. I am feeling rather sleepy now, I don’t regret waking up early but now I’m feeling the effects of it. I rested my head on my hands that I placed on the desk.

“Just a classmate? Wouldn’t she be hurt if she heard you say that? I thought you guys were really close, I mean you guys were close back in elementary school.”

“You remember that?” I asked her curious.

“Of course, whenever I went to your house, she was there.”

“Do you know what happened then? Because I don’t remember it at all.”

I looked at Luna seriously. She was my best friend, if there was something everyone was keeping from me she would tell me right?

She looked hesitant on telling me.

“Look Amber, honestly I don’t know. We were young back then. All I can say was that there was a period of time where you didn’t show up for school and when I wanted to see you my father told me that it wasn’t the best time. I really don’t know.” She explained to me.

I know she’s not telling me everything. She’s not the type of person to get such a vague answer out of anyone; she probably pestered her father about it.

Why didn’t my father tell me? He never kept any secrets from me.

I was shot out of my train of thoughts as I felt my phone in my jean pocket vibrate.

‘Hey, this is Krystal. ^^’

‘Hey, there. What class are you in?’

‘Calc… D: 

“Haha, that . I’m in communications. Class hasn’t even started and I’m already bored.’

 That’s because I’m not there :P

‘Hahaha maybe.’

‘It’s not a maybe, it’s a yes. :P.’

“You got me there :)’

‘Sorry, professor just walked in. I’ll talk to you later. I at this subject so I need to pay attention :/’

KK, if you need any help, I’m a math genius XD’

‘LOL I’ll keep that in mind.’

“I can’t read what you guys are writing.”

“GAH! Luna don’t do that.”

“What? You were smiling like a crazy man and I got curious. You guys talk in English?”

“Yea, it’s easier for me.”

“Why? Your Korean is better than when you were a kid.”

“I don’t know.”

“See, there is something going on. You like her?”

“Of course I like her, she’s a nice person.”

“God Amber, stop being so dumb. I mean do you like her.”

“I don’t know, do I?”

“I’m not you, I can’t tell you.” She answered before class started.

Do I really like her? Is this what I’ve been feeling; all the nervousness, the heart thumping? It’s not that I never liked someone before but for some reason this feeling feels different from all the other times.

XxxxxX

I was sitting in the study working on the end of the month documents. There is so much paperwork that it is ridiculous. I swear the pile of paper reached from the floor at least 4 feet tall, not just one stack either but 3 stacks.

I decided to take a break. I slumped down on my chair staring at my desk. Nothing was going through my mind, I was just sitting and staring.

I decided I need some air. I opened the main drawer and took out the small box that my father wanted to give me for my 18th before walking out into the balcony.

I walked towards the edge where the railings were. It was a full moon tonight, on clear nights like these I think they are the most peaceful.

I jumped up and sat on the railing, my body perpendicular to the wall I rested my upper body on.

I wonder what could be inside this small little box. It had to be some sort of jewelry. Whatever it is, I’m not going to open it just yet.

“Young Miss, pardon my intrusion but I have delivered your mail.” I heard my maid tell me as she set the stack of mail on my table and left a platter of snacks and drinks to the side.

“Thank you, Ming.”

“Is there anything else before I leave, young miss?”

“No, you may take your leave.”

I back over to my desk and took the pile of mail into my hands as I went through them.

All of them seemed to be business related so I tossed them aside for later. One envelope did indeed catch my eye though. It was nice beige envelope with gold outlining with  the Jung’s wax emblem on it.

It seemed to be an invitation.

I took a small knife out and opened it.

“Dear Ms. Liu,

                You are cordially invited to Mr. Jung’s 48th birthday soiree. We are looking forward to your attendance on November  15th, 2012.”

I put the invitation in my pocket as I made my way into Victoria’s room. I knocked on the door before entering. I don’t like barging into places, everyone needs their privacy.

As I entered she was sitting cross legged on her bed, already dressed in her sleeping garments, staring at a laptop in front of her.

“Amber, what’s up? Did you finish the paper work?” She asked me as she took off her glasses.

“NO! Not even close.” I sat on her bed with her as well.

“What are you doing?” I asked her as I looked at her computer screen.

“Managing your schedule and other things because you can’t do it yourself.” She teased while pushing me on the shoulders.

“Hey, you took this job so don’t complain.” I laughed.

“Yea, but only because I love my little foot.”

Again with the silly nickname. The only reason she calls me that because a lot of people say I look like a dinosaur. I don’t even know if that’s a compliment or not. I’m pretty sure it’s not. But when we were younger, we would love watching the movie, ‘The Land Before Times’, and she said that I act like little foot and since I do look like a reptile she decided to give me that nickname.

I don’t mind, I still find it funny.

“So is there something you need? Or you can’t sleep and you want big sister here to tuck you in and sing a lullaby.”

“I’m not a baby.”

“You sure about that?”

“Positive, I can change my own diapers thank you very much.”

“You wear diapers?” She gave me a weird look.

“It was a joke.” I face palmed at the fact that she actually took it seriously.

“Anyways, I’m here because of this.” I handed her the invitation.

“Okay, I will  put it into the schedule.” She said after reading it.

“You’re going too.”

“Yay! Party, I need to go shopping.”

I rolled my eyes at her. She’s so simple and easy to please.

“While you are at it, find a present for Mr. Jung will you? I would do it myself except I’m afraid I will stuck inside all day tomorrow.

XxxxxX

Krystal’s POV:

“She hasn’t texted me at all.” I whined to my friend Sulli.

“She’s probably busy, didn’t you say that she runs Liu Corps. She probably has a lot of things to do since it’s the end of the month.”

“Yea, you’re right.”

“Why don’t you text her then?”

“I don’t know, I’m scared I might bother her.”

“Aren’t you the one saying you’re going to make the first move?”

“Yea…”

“Then it up and go get her. If not I guarantee someone is going to steal her away….Like ME!” Sulli joked.

“Yah! It’s not funny.” I hit her, crossed my arms, and angrily pouted at her.

“It was a joke, relax Soojung.”

“….” I gave her my signature stare.

“That doesn’t work on me. Here, I’ll do it for you.” She said grabbing my phone.

“Wait, don’t!” I tried grabbing the phone from her but she’s taller than me and was holding me back with one arm and the other arm was already typing.

“…done.” Sulli evilly smiled as she handed me back my phone.

“What did you write.” I yelled as I check my phone.

“Hey, you y creature, I really miss you~ Not seeing you is like the end of the world for me. I can’t wait ‘til next week to see you again so why don’t we get together this weekend? Maybe grab something to eat? And yes I am asking you out on a date ;p’

“Why did you write that? I would never say something like this!” I threw my phone on my bed.

“That’s your problem, Soojung. You need to be more assertive.”

“I don’t think Amber likes aggressive girls. And I don’t plan on showing her that side.”

“Oh, trust me, she’s going to find it hot.”

“How do you know? You’ve never met her.”

“I got a glimpse of her at a banquet 3 weeks ago. Some lady was literally all over her. Your parents were there too.”

“What? Who?” I grabbed Sulli’s shirt and pulled her to me glaring at her so she would tell me.

“Chill out, I don’t know. I’ve only seen the lady at parties. I never talked to her. Besides Amber wasn’t interested. She walked away.”

I sighed a breath of relief.

*BUZZ, BUZZ*

We both turned our heads as we heard my phone buzzing on my bed. We looked at each other before both jumping towards my bed.

 

 

(A/N: So here's the next chapter. Hope you guys like it. I don't know how often i'm going to update this weekend, i still feel pretty depressed about the accident that my classmate and i witnessed on the freeway. Why does life have to be so cruel, but it is what it is.. like always, SUBSCRIBE, COMMENT, and LOVE LIFE!