Clouds Are Free

One More Day Stranger Kim Jongwoon
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Is it too early? Why do I always wake up at ungodly hours? Is this a sign of old age? Hope Teuk hyung wakes up early too. Yesung dragged himself out of bed laughing.

Early morning musing is part of his routine nowadays. He fumbled with his toothbrush in front of the bathroom mirror with his black eyes silently throwing him a question. I wonder if Saab is awake already?

Yesung tapped the mirror and spoke loudly, “Imma. Get a grip of yourself. Arasso? Why are you so obvious huh Kim Jongwoon?

He went back to his bedroom, skipping like a child going to the circus. He scooped Kkoming from the floor, staring tempted to his phone on the bedside table.

“Ani. Give her a rest.”

“Arrfff arfff.” Melo pounced on him, almost knocking Yesung to the floor.

“Aigoo. You’re so small but you are so heavy.”

He played with both of them for a while, oblivious from his surrounding and totally into the dogs’ fantasies like a smitten owner that he felt electrocuted with the sudden sound of his gadget amplified even more loudly by the wooden surface.

Yesung jumped out of the floor to check his phone.

“Yesung hyung, where are you? Are you home? Come up. I prepared some breakfast.”

It was Ryeowook. He better go accept the offer instead of waiting for the clock to strike 8. Yesung tiptoed out of the quiet apartment and went to Super Junior’s dorm currently home to Ryeonggu and Kyu.


Wookie opened the door as soon as he rang, “Annyeong hyung.”

“Annyeong. What did you cook?” He went straight to the kitchen and checked the food.

“Kyuhyun is still asleep?”

“Of course. Can’t you hear his snore? His mouth was open wide when I checked.”

Sassy Wook snapped while taking clean plates out of the rack for him. Yesung had an overwhelming feeling of relief that he is not staying here anymore.

“As expected of Kyu. Just let him maybe he is tired from shooting.”

He devoured the omelet on his plate. He wouldn’t be eating usually but he can clearly imagine Saab’s face judging him and he suddenly feel scared. Ryeowook is eyeing him suspiciously. Yesung tried his best to pretend not to notice.

“Don’t you have a schedule today?”

“I do. I have to leave at 9. How about you hyung?”

He swallowed before answering, “I have no sched today. I will just stay at home.”

“Ahh I am jealous. I want to rest too. Eat well hyung I will shower.”

Yesung peeled a banana as he watched Ryeowook out of his sight. He eyed his still phone. Minutes passed, the sound of the digital clock on the wall reverberates like a loud gong in the silence. I cant take it anymore. He took the phone and typed.

“Good morning………”

What should I say? Why is it so hard to text a woman? .

“Good morning. Did you sleep well? See you today.”

Arghh damn it. He sent the message at last with his eyes closed, alone and frozen in the kitchen for minutes. There was no reply. Saab must still be asleep.

This is all too much for him. It’s been ages since he dated someone the word date became so foreign to him now; to the point that he is not confident of what he is doing. Should I talk to her about it? Or should I just go where this would take us? Isn’t this scary? He ran his small hands to his hair and cursed audibly.

 

Yesung moved from the kitchen to check on Kyu. The brat is in deep sleep he is tempted to disturb him, instead he settled quietly on the sofa to wait.

“Ryeonggu, hyung needs to leave at 7! Hurry.”

Ryeowook’s answer was muffled by the thick walls. Ten minutes later he went out at last, fussing over the checkered long sleeves he’s wearing.

“Hyung, you said you don’t have a schedule today.”

Carefully avoiding the question, Yesung folded the sleeves for him.

“What are you doing? You are like Hyukjae. You should wear it like this. The point of this style is to show the pattern. Like this.” Yesung fixed the sleeves for his dongsaeng.

“Ahh. Gomawo hyung. I really like your fashion hyung. Jinjja.”

Yesung can’t help but smile. He loves it when they say that.

“Hyung will go now.” He slyly extended his right arm and touched Wookie’s philtrum.

“Arggggh jinjja!” Wookie screamed as he jumped out of his reach.

“Bye bye. Thanks for the breakfast Ryeonggu-ah.”

Yesung left him cursing at the air, questioning why he is surrounded by weird hyungs. He can’t worry about that, he needs to prepare and come fetch that silly girl.
______


“I got it! Whoa. Thank you so much really!”

Saab exclaimed as she returned the lid of the box she just received. She is so happy her heart will burst any minute. It must be showing, her client, whom she managed to befriend, just did her a huge favor and is gushing on the other line of the call.

“I’m glad to be of help to you. I won’t keep you any longer. Have fun. Bye.”

“I will. Thank you again! Bye.”

She threw her phone on the bed and jumped after it like a kid, burying her face to the soft pillow, bursting out laughing soon after with the thought of his reaction later when he finds out what’s in the box. No, scratch that. He will see me first, not the box.

“I am so ing crazy.”

Saab then went to the bathroom to shower and change. Going out after 30 minutes definitely not looking like a tourist in Seoul. She scanned her reflection on the mirror and was impressed like the last time she wore the same outfit.

"Now, on to the weird part."

She tipped the medium sized box on the bed, revealing two round hard objects. Giggling like a teenager, she tapped one of it and pouted her lips, "Whew! I thought it will be heavier. It's comfortable enough. Oldie won’t be whining at least."

Saab grabbed her vibrating phone on the bed and was delighted, "The oldie is here."

She carefully put the object back in the box and carried it with her down to the lobby, the outfit earning questioning looks from the staff who knows her from her long stay at the hotel. She playfully just winked at them, gracefully strutting from the elevator to the intimidating hotel door, looking straight to the car her heart damn well knows by now.

Saab put the box at the backseat and glided over to the front seat, closing the door with her, now in full view of the shocked man in front of the wheel. His mask clearly could not hide his gaped mouth and dropped jaw.

"Jongwoon-ah, drive."

"Errrr. O-okay."

"Can you park somewhere for a while where no one can see us? Five minutes will do."

"Ne?!", Yesung seems to be lost in a trance, Saab is so close to losing it.

 

The car was silent as Yesung drove in circles, looking for an area that she needs. Whatever question he has, he is keeping it to himself. He finally found an empty alley after half an hour of driving. He turned to her side with questioning eyes, Saab smiled at him, her eyes twinkling in amusement, as she undid her seatbelt to reach for the box at the backseat.

"I have a present for you. Tadaa!"

"What is this? Why am I so nervous?" Yesung reached out to take the box from her, his eyes visibly smiling despite the confusion.

"Aishh, arasso. I will open it now.", slightly inclining his head to the side like a puppy, he carefully lifted the lid of the box, revealing the contents at last.

Yesung burst out laughing.

"Booyah! What is this?!" He lifted the high school uniform and laughed again. "You want me to wear this?"

I pouted at him, whining. "Yes. I promised you, didn’t I? You will be able to roam around Seoul today unrecognized. Jeongmal. Also, you should have known considering I am wearing mine already."

"Yah! How will a high school uniform disguise me and my face? I just thought you want to be cute in pictures again." He teasingly answered.

"How dare you. Check the box will yah?"

Yesung folded the clothes on his lap and looked at the box again. This time I am the one to burst out laughing. Lying side to side in the box are two cute blue helmets, the one with giant google eye spectacles.

"Admit it. I'm smart, aren’t I?" I playfully nudged his shoulder until he laughed.

"No. You are just crazy." He shook his head and tapped the helmet with his knuckles,

"Hurry and change." I told him; my eyebrows arched at his cuteness.

"Ah. That's why you asked me to park here.", he whispered as the realization hit him.

"Of course. What were you thinking?" I blurted without thinking only to regret when I saw his cheeks blushing at the implications of my words.

"Nothing. I— I will change now."

"I won’t look I promise."

I turned my head to face the window, suppressing the girly giggles threatening to escape my throat. I can hear Yesung huffing and fussing over his shirt and the uniform; an alley has never been this boring I am so tempted to look at the masterpiece stripping, I mean, unfolding, beside me.

"Ahm, I can’t change my pants here. I will change at the back. Wait for a while please."

"Okay.", Saab's neck hurt from turning to the window too much.

He crawled over to the backseat without leaving the car and changed quickly. The efficiency; being an idol for more than a decade clearly helped. I let out a relieved sigh when he finally went back to the driver's seat.

"So where to?", Yesung asked, looking so cute and young in his new garb. I turned and gave him a wink, "Let's ditch the car."

"Bo?"

"What's the point of this if we would use the car."

"Arasso. But where do you plan to go? We could park nearby. I can’t just abandon the car here.", amusement and my relentless wit making his lips curl.

"Let's go to the Stone Wall Road. I want to see it. We can go on foot from there, can’t we?"

“Alright Ma’am!” Saab looked at him, her heart wanting nothing but for him to enjoy this day, for him to feel free.


_____


The sunlight blinded Yesung despite the eyeglass; the weather is just perfect for a walk it pisses him to think he needs a helmet to be able to enjoy it. He glanced at Saab fixing her hair under the round head gear and felt an overwhelming sense of gratitude. It must be annoying for her too but she thought of this for him, only him, it is enough to make his heart feel touched.

“Do you want to go inside and visit the Palace?”, Yesung suggested, attempting to spark a conversation with a sudden serious Saab.

Saab thoughtfully looked at him and shook her head, “No. I just wanted to see this famous Road.”

“Why? It’s just a road with a pretty walkway and falling leaves. Isn’t this pretty normal in Canada?”, Yesung teasingly replied.

He felt giddy now. Saab’s idea is pretty much working. They are walking in a crowded place and no one bats an eye at him. He can’t believe he didn’t think of this sooner. He stared at Saab’s face covered by the large spectacles; she still looks beautiful as hell.

“Whoa mister, your thirst to visit Canada is showing!”, Saab let out a playful laugh. “It is normal to me yes. This is just like Quebec. But I still want to see this famous cursed road. I have a kink for curses.”, she finished with a wink.

Yesung almost choked when she winked after casually rolling out the word kink in front of him. “You’re a high school student and you are talking about kink.” They both laughed heartily with his pretense.

“But honestly though, they say this road is really cursed. A lot of couples who walked here broke up. Though I don’t know one personally. I wonder if it’s true? Let’s find out.”

The last sentence came out of his mouth before he could stop talking. He could feel his face slowly burn from embarrassment. What the Yesung.

Saab turned her face to him in reflex, “We are not a couple though?” Her burrowed eyebrow plus her pouting lips not helping Yesung’s embarrassment at the moment.

“I- I didn’t mean. I just said it out of...” Yesung pleadingly stuttered in front of Saab. Her face suddenly turning crimson red too.

“I didn’t mean it too, Jongwoon. I only meant.” She couldn’t finish her sentence either and just awkwardly laughed.

Yesung just looked at her. Take it up to him to ruin the mood. This is why he gave up on dating. His randomness just gets away with him sometimes.

“Hey. Hey!”, Saab grabbed his hand and pulled him forward. “Let’s try some street foods to cheer you up.”

She steered him to the first food stall ahead. Pinching his fingers softly, telling him it’s okay without needing words. Where have she been hiding all my life?

Yesung let her guide him in his own country, totally forgetting himself; just being a random stranger on the street holding hands with a pretty girl, just a boy, just a happy boy.

“Whoa! Sundae!”, Saab pointed at the food excitedly, earning her amused looks and a few laughs from passerby’s. Yesung laughed with them. She is too cute.

“Please give her a hundred if she wants.”

He joked with the curious grandma manning the stall. Then he covered his mouth from the side, leaned to his excited date and whispered “I did not forget my wallet this time.” He is fooling himself; he does not really bring a wallet anywhere. He doesn’t need to.

Saab snorted in laughter as she accepts the Sundae from the Grandma. “Pay for it then Mr. Hotshot!”

Yesung paid and took his own order. Saab is really out here stuffing her face with sundae without a care in the world. She didn’t even talk to him. She just ate all of it. His food is suspended mid-air. He is ashamed for being so conscious of his diet in front of her insatiable appetite.

“Do you need help stuffing that down?”, Saab paid attention to him at last. She is done eating. “Eat and stop dieting or else.”

“Or else?”

“I will pull a Yesung on you.”, she whispered.

“What do you mean pull a Yesung?”, he whispered back.

“I will slap you with my slippers.”, she answered while imitating his scene with Hyukjae in SJ Returns.

Yesung gave up. He was laughing out loud when suddenly he couldn’t anymore. Saab threw her hands over his mouth.

“Why?”, he tried to ask with a muffled voice.

She took his remaining Sundae and stuffed it to his mouth, thanked the grandma, and pulled him away from the stall.

“Your laugh is too recognizable Mr. Kim.”

“Oops.”, He bit his lips and smiled at her. “Sorry about that. Where do you want to go next?”

“Hmmm...”, Yesung can’t help but notice that Saab has a habit of scrunching her nose when thinking. Adorable.

“I don’t know. Let’s look around so I could have an idea.”

“Okay then.”, he agreed.

There is nothing much to see at this part of town anyway. Not that it matters. He could be with Saab in a 4 x 4 box and he would still be entertained.

Both of them walked in silence for minutes, just wandering the city aimlessly. They passed stores that in his normal state, wouldn’t even register to his subconscious but now he is taking everything in, like how everything changed since he was younger, how even the random posters on the walls are styled progressively than before, how people from various walks of life now totally dress differently. Life goes on for them while his slowly pass by on the stage; he suddenly felt the urge to write a song.

His reverie was cut short by a nudge from Saab.

“Hey, do you know I could draw?” She randomly asks.

“Really?”, Yesung humors her.

“Yes. Digitally though. Let me show you.”

Yesung doesn’t know what’s on her mind but he doesn’t care. Kids sporting helmets nowadays must be a trend. The guard didn’t bat an eye when they entered. He followed Saab inside the gadget store.

She went straight to a Note phone and asked him to not look first. Okay honey.

He went around the store checking items, still he finds his eyes tracing Saab’s every move. “What is she drawing. Ahh this woman, really.”

There she goes again, nose scrunched while concentrating. Why did he purposely leave his phone in the car? Yesung grabbed the nearest phone to him, opened the camera and aimed it straight to her unsuspecting side profile. He took multiple shots. Saab looks so perfect.

 

She is now signaling him to come closer. He let go of the phone on his hand reluctantly. my damn stupid mind for leaving my phone behind.

“Tadaa!”, Saab excitedly showing her drawing to him. He was impressed. She drew a chibi version of him with a helmet.

“Wow! You need to give me a copy of that!”

She smiled at him and skipped on her feet a little. Cute.

“Okay. I will pass this to my phone.”

Yesung patiently watched Saab transfer her artwork to her phone, internally struggling whether he should ask to do the same to the pictures he took of her. He shook his head. . I cant do it.

Now the guard is onto them looking suspicious. Saab carefully put the phone back, smiling at the guard awkwardly.

“It’s time to leave Jongwoon.”

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter